• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I really don't see any way a Direct happens in two weeks. The entire world is on lock down at this point.
Nintendo have games lined up, no doubt, so it's their call as to whether they release it digital only so as to keep some kind of output and either delay or skip entirely the physical. Wii U Ports are a good example of something they might be OK doing that with...

Physical launches beyond Animal Crossing in the US and Europe are highly unlikely for the next 3 months minimum.

In terms of a Direct... it really depends on whether they'd announce something brand new (say a 2D Metroid or a Paper Mario) and be happy to take a hit on sales by going digital only... or they do nothing and take a hit in a quieter part of the year, relying on evergreen and then announce when theubare back in a time when physical can be done.

So much uncertainty... and uncertainty is not a good time for a Direct!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are being stupid about the virus tbh. On friday night everyone was out in the bars and restaurants and then Saturday morning piling into the supermarkets, kids in tow, to buy everything they can get their hands. Just be a bit more responsible FFS.

Not a clue what the government is doing, how are over 70s meant to isolate for months? Just lock themselves away and die.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
People are being stupid about the virus tbh. On friday night everyone was out in the bars and restaurants and then Saturday morning piling into the supermarkets, kids in tow, to buy everything they can get their hands. Just be a bit more responsible FFS.

Not a clue what the government is doing, how are over 70s meant to isolate for months? Just lock themselves away and die.

theres a thread for posts like this ya know.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Damn, after playing MH World a lot over these past two weeks, going back to MHG Ultimate is rather difficult. Never would have imagined myself saying that as someone who's always been advocating the portable versions, but here I am. Ugh.
Some monsters and the farming just feel so tedious in comparison now, you really become comfortable with the things World introduces if you let it happen.

Even more of a reason to hope for a new Switch Monster Hunter that borrows QOL stuff from World, keeping the balance between it and that which made the portable games so enjoyable thus far. Though I guess I gotta admit that the latter has actually become more significant to me. It's more about the portability itself by now, not the game design of the old portable games as such.

Ironically a MHW port to Switch would probably be my favourite scenario by now, haha. But as I said, I'd also take a new MH Switch with World's feature set (don't even need all of that tbh.)

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
If games are delayed - and they could be, I have no idea - it doesn't mean Nintendo needs to maintain radio silence.

It's been close to seven months, they need to say something.

The pandemic will have an impact, but business, like life, must go on.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Mystery Dungeon DX (its main story at least), I plan to do everything else postgame too but at a slower pace.
Still a fantastic game even fifteen years later.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Has anyone announced anything new in the past month?! Major announcements I mean. New films... new TV series... new games...? The hope for a Direct seems very short sighted all of a sudden, which is mad when you think it's been the longest time without one!

Everything has been delays or cancellations- no E3, Netflix stopping TV and film production, Bond film moving from March to November etc.

These are strange times though, and we're not even close to the peak, let alone getting out the other side. I think we should be expecting even less information, not new announcements - and I feel that's very true for Sony and Microsoft too.

Tell that to the aviation industry... pr the package holiday industry... cruise ship operators... Business will go on, but not as normal and not without significant casualties.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The hope for a Direct comes from a rumor about a Nindies Direct this week and a General Direct the week after, that's been more or less backed by NateDrake and Zhuge.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The hope for a Direct comes from a rumor about a Nindies Direct this week and a General Direct the week after, that's been more or less backed by NateDrake and Zhuge.
Nate backing a direct doesn't do much for me.

it's Zhuge that makes me think it might happen. He seems to know more about this kind of stuff. Recently the RE3 reveal being in a State of play.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Tell that to the aviation industry... pr the package holiday industry... cruise ship operators... Business will go on, but not as normal and not without significant casualties.

Absolutely agree and respect what you're saying, but I don't think Covid-19 will bring the games industry to a halt.

It will have an impact and some sectors will be affected more than others, that's for sure.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Nindies and a digital led Mini Direct of imminent digital only releases I can get behind.

Anything beyond that... I'd love to be wrong, but seems exceptionally unlikely.

Just the thought of Nintendo putting up a Nindies Direct presentation video against this backdrop seems a bit ridiculous.

Business must go on though, so they surely have to say something post Animal Crossing, yes.

Absolutely agree and respect what you're saying, but I don't think Covid-19 will bring the games industry to a halt.

It will have an impact and some sectors will be affected more than others, that's for sure.
Yep, they are definitely more robust than other industries. Still heavily reliant on production, distribution, personnel and retail though. Digital is big, but physical is still a huge slice of the pie that they will all be feeling the pain of losing out on.

Nintendo will be fine regardless. And new games are coming regardless. It's just timings that are up in the air - and inevitably that means announcements are too. It really is impossible to say right now - but a Super Mario 3D World port thays digital only on the eShop could release in April obviously... I wonder.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
If games are delayed - and they could be, I have no idea - it doesn't mean Nintendo needs to maintain radio silence.

It's been close to seven months, they need to say something.

They don't have any announced release dates to delay apart from Animal Crossing, so assuming that's still coming out it's not a pressing issue.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Imagine finally getting a General Direct after all this time but it being focused on explaining why everything after Animal Crossing is being delayed due to Coronavirus resulting in no games until September.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Apart from shortages of hardware in some countries, it seems like the virus has helped software sales noticeably. Twitch viewers doubled, In-Game spending rose, even retail sales of some if now all games have risen (see Japan). I don't think we'll see any delay of software of any manner. People can still order and deliver games, digital is an option anyway.

Game development of titles with release dates further away may become impacted but honestly, this is one of the few industries that can flawlessly work with home office solutions. It might take some time to adjust but for games in the near future, I don't see many problems.

Now if this situation continues longer then a few weeks and a significant amount of people are impacted by a loss of income etc. then we'll most likely see the games industry suffer quite a bit. Right now with people stuck at home entertainment will probably be in high demand. But it's also one of the first things to fall to the wayside if people are financially impacted.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They just announced the Lego Mario set last week, it's not like there's a blackout on announcements.

Incidentally I'm betting that's how Nate knew not to expect a Direct this past week, because Nintendo wouldn't announce the Lego collaboration only to overshadow it completely with a Direct.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Just as an advice: the last two Indie Worlds saw the following announcement-to-airing patterns

Indie World August 19th, 2019 - Announced on August 16th, 2019 at 13:00 CEST, aired on August 19th, 2019 at 15:00 CEST
Indie World December 10th, 2019 - Announced on December 9th, 2019 at 16:00 CET, aired on December 10th, 2019 at 19:00 CET

We're probably going to see its announcement the day before. Just...don't start go with torches and forks if it's not announced exactly at 15:00 CET
I remember thinking that one of these nindie things was announced too early, like three or four days before. It could be announced any time from Monday to Wednesday.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'm not sure a Nindies this week really positively impacts the chances of a Direct next week.
Predicting a Nindies on (what used to be) GDC week is a freebie

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I think a lot of company's are about to get a rude wake up call when it comes to their employees working from home! These systems are not set up on the basis of a 100% employee connection - the bandwidth for most would be closer to 5%.

That's before you even begin to think about collaboration.

Even getting everyone that needs to do meetings a dedicated conference call line will be a challenge.

Busy days ahead for IT and software companies - and boom time for their sales staff too!

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Galaxy brain time. Nintendo plans changed due to Covid19. After Animal Crossing they won't be shipping any retail releases for months due to disruption in the supply chain, in shipping, and at retail. Instead they will release eshop games, especially ones they have been sitting on. Of course, I'm talking about MPT. 🤤

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
It's something at least.

A recession is definitely going to happen, I can see that having effect on new consoles. Not really on switch games
I agree, if anything a recession will hurt the next gen console launch a lot more than Nintendo. If money is tighter it's kind of a big ask to pay ~$500 for a new console + games, especially if the new console has a spotty launch library (backward compatibility aside). Whereas with Nintendo you can get a Switch (or a lite) and a massive games library for half the price.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Galaxy brain time. Nintendo plans changed due to Covid19. After Animal Crossing they won't be shipping any retail releases for months due to disruption in the supply chain, in shipping, and at retail. Instead they will release eshop games, especially ones they have been sitting on. Of course, I'm talking about MPT. 🤤

Don't play with my emotions! 😭💔

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if the direct had to come out after Animal Crossing because Nintendo wanted to debut Animal Crossing's new group watch feature with a Direct?

Think like that Star Wars thing in Fortnite but an Animal Crossing island.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
We are in pretty much uncharted territory with COVID-19 so I wouldn't rule out anything regarding delays and schedules.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
come on nintendo, e shop sale.
Ill have to do some stuff for university, but most tests are canceled,classes hould be online...
and i have isolation for at least a week here, it the situation doesnt get better 2, or 3.

I've already prepared my balcony (lucky i had seeds and earth), and cleaned the house...

I'm usually not the online game type, but now it the time where im looking for one that i and a friend can play... and not that much on the switch, since she is more of a co-op player.
Options at the moment:
Stardew Valley (played it, not interested anymore)
Diablo 3 (not mi type of game)
AC (eh. ... kinda to recreational for me)

Im not a mmo type, but something like FF 14 would be interesting to try it, but its not on switch.

Plum

May 31, 2018
*Block out Off-Topic Discussion*

*Ignore any COVID-19 threads I might be tempted to go to from there*

*Make sure to limit my news exposure to a few official sources instead of internet hyperbole and misinformation*

*Go into the Nintendo Direct thread because it's one of the only things I can look forward to atm*

*See these posts*
We need a full-scale lockdown, more than anything else.

It's tragic that this is the point we're at. Lives are being lost.

but eh, off topic i guess

Fuck sake

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA

*Ignore any COVID-19 threads I might be tempted to go to there*

*Make sure to limit my exposure to a few official sources instead of internet hyperbole and misinformation*

*Go into the Nintendo Direct thread because it's one of the only things I can look forward to atm*

*See this*

Fuck sake

I'm sorry but the world is facing a grave situation. This thing affects EVERYTHING.

It sucks. 🙁

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

*Make sure to limit my news exposure to a few official sources instead of internet hyperbole and misinformation*

*See these posts*

Fuck sake
Hiding from it won't make it magically go away.

Plum

May 31, 2018

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

*See these posts*

Fuck sake

Sorry, dude. Not intended to offend. It's a worldwide crisis and one which affects everything.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Early last year I had a bunch of awesome old Final Fantasy games ported to Switch to play so I never really noticed there wasn't a Nintendo game released that interested me until Mario Maker 2.

This year we don't have more FF games yet :( but will soon have Animal Crossing, which is probably my most anticipated game since BoTW!
There are so many ports and remasters SE could release to fill the gaps. Even just looking at stuff on 3DS/PS4/Steam/mobile/arcade the past decade to potentially bring over I could see any combination of:
  • Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
  • Bravely Second: End Layer
  • Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
  • Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
  • Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
  • Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I & II (localization)
  • Dragon Quest Monsters retro (localization)
  • Dragon Quest Rivals (localization)
  • Final Fantasy (Anniversary Edition)
  • Final Fantasy II (Anniversary Edition)
  • Final Fantasy III (Remake)
  • Final Fantasy IV (Remake)
  • Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (Remake)
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Nier: Automata
  • Pictologica Final Fantasy
  • Star Ocean: Second Evolution R
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope Full HD Remaster
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: All-Star Carnival
  • Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Not to mention stuff potentially from SE Europe or Taito.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I haven't really complained in this thread, but truly, I could really actually use a Direct right now to take my mind off the rest of the world.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I know it does, but I just want some safe space. Everyone just wants to speak about it all the time and it's driving me crazy.

And those kinds of posts in this thread will?
Yeah, im more on Plumes side. there are enough places for discusion.

I personaly dont care much, i gut my...Quarantene? they didn't call it that, but is is effectively.
Newsfeed in one tab and keeping informed. Im chill, just a bit bored.

BUT: some people get anxious, and nervous , and these people, to manage to get through this times need some distraction while they are at home. Just keeping of the internet is not an option, since they can't just go to a friend and talk to them. The situation is a huge psychological stress factor, that gets some more then others.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it does, but I don't really see what the UK's response has to do with this thread specifically. I'll just ignore this thread for now because it's just not fun anymore.

Heh, this thread was never fun to begin with :P It's endless begging and entitlement over an advertisement reel.

Take care out there!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Heh, this thread was never fun to begin with :P It's endless begging and entitlement over an advertisement reel.

Take care out there!

I know you're probably not serious but I find that fun myself. Because it's something as petty as an advertisement reel the anger, excitement, etc feels much more light-hearted than anything else. In the end a Nintendo Direct doesn't affect us all in any meaningful way. Now COVID-19 is a big point of discussion it brings in an extreme real-world fear and just triggers my anxiety when I've been trying to keep triggers to a minimum. Sometimes escapism to petty shit like Nintendo Directs is nice, but I understand many others odn't feel that way.

So bye ya'll. I'll see you in the proper Direct thread whenever the hell that is. I just hope it's soon because fucking hell I need something like that right now.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know you're probably not serious but I find that fun myself. Because it's something as petty as an advertisement reel the anger, excitement, etc feels much more light-hearted than anything else. In the end a Nintendo Direct doesn't affect us all in any meaningful way. Now COVID-19 is a big point of discussion it brings in an extreme real-world fear and just triggers my anxiety when I've been trying to keep triggers to a minimum. Sometimes escapism to petty shit like Nintendo Directs is nice, but I understand many others odn't feel that way.

So bye ya'll. I'll see you in the proper Direct thread whenever the hell that is. I just hope it's soon because fucking hell I need something like that right now.

Take care, dude. Take it easy - it'll be alright.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I think the games industry is one of the better equipped ones to be less affected by something like this - a lot of devs are able to remotely access our computers, and for now I know my company hasn't anticipated any major disruption in our services or production - but obviously that could change.

Japan seems intent for now on pretending they'll have this under control enough to not even cancel the Olympics, so I'd honestly be surprised if Nintendo doesn't adopt the same "show must go on" attitude.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I Jusf went to the super market and man, it is crazy (southern California).

canned food areas are cleaned out. No bottle water, milk almost gone. Frozen food almost gone.

My sisters are told to not come to work. Tho I still have too in my job. It's crazier then I thought

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

*See these posts*

Fuck sake
sorry you had to see that, saw your posts yesterday and its harsh, i can only recommend reading blog like sites and resting from ERA/the internet for a little while: watch movies, read books, clean stuff , maybe a few online classes and other stuff that might distract a little, i thought The mindful Way Through Depression really helped me, try practicingYoga in the mornings will help make you feel a little better through these upcoming months, take care

Status
Not open for further replies.