• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting on a DQ collection myself (outside of just 1-3) but to be honest I don't think I'd even get them, since I have 1-6 and 8 on my phone already.

Maybe if they port 7 and 9.
my guess is they'll port the mobile versions of 4-5-6 (which are actually good ports unlike the ugly ass ports of 1-2-3) as a lead up to the next majoer DQ release (either 12 or a remake).

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Imagine talking about how 2020 Switch is very RPG focused and not immediately thinking of and hoping for a port/remaster of Baten Kaitos 1 and 2.
Baten Kaitos 1 could benefit immensely from a remaster. Just update the graphics, redo the localization and voices, smooth out some of the janky elements and missing QOL, and you have a much better game.

Origins is really a great game that hardly needs any work on it besides upscaling and retouching the graphics. It's sad so few have played it because it came out when the Gamecube was dead - really should have just been pushed to the Wii.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So the FY19 earnings release is apparently set for May 7th, instead of April 30th like it normally is. I guess they delayed it due to virus concerns.

my guess is they'll port the mobile versions of 4-5-6 (which are actually good ports unlike the ugly ass ports of 1-2-3) as a lead up to the next majoer DQ release (either 12 or a remake).

Honestly I don't really mind the 1-3 ports that much, they play fine. Yeah they're kinda ugly but I forgive them because they're on my phone.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Also, what's with "The Last Story" in terms of rights and everything? While the Wii isn't as much as a graveyard like i'd call the Wii U, i would appreciate if Nintendo throws a bone to the Gooch for a port/remaster of that.
And do Pandora's Tower, too, while you're at it.

You have wonderful taste.

I thank you, fellow friend of culture and good RPGs.

Origins is really a great game that hardly needs any work on it besides upscaling and retouching the graphics. It's sad so few have played it because it came out when the Gamecube was dead - really should have just been pushed to the Wii.

It's not only because Gamecube was about to phase out ... it didn't even come out here in EU to begin with. I had to import the US version, sadly my modified secondary Gamecube died so i'm out of option to replay it on there.

I'd take everything at this point, even a digital-only uprezzed port.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I'm sure Engine Software would be first in line to do a Spelunky port on Switch. They just announce Adams Venture Origins on Switch. So they're still taking time to do some indie ports alongside their pretty awesome NISA Switch ports. :P

Good point - they may well be a valid dev to lend a hand, as I imagine that's the only thing Mossmouth needed to get things moving further, faster. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I loved the first game, but as Origins never was available in Europe I never played it. A GC Virtual Console or a remaster would be appreciated. Same with the first Baten Katios or Path of Radiance, the games are really hard and expensive to find.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Path of Radiance (and Radiant Dawn) are pretty much set to get a remake in a few years, so i would't worry about those.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer them to remake Genealogy/Thracia first tbh, but yeah the games are popular and far easier to remake compared to the GBA games.

Speculation of mine, but i'm pretty sure the SNES games remakes are going to be the next FE games after Three Houses now. The game systems of 3H are basically perfect for the SNES games.

I will cry tears of joy

Not only you. Not only you.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The direct is getting closer and I always get hyped when I feel a direct is close. Can't wait to see Bayonetta 3 in action and also Bravely Default 2 (with hopefully a demo) and of course a Trials of Mana demo. I hope we get new info on Deadly Premonition 2 as well. The game is very fun to play even for a game with horror elements. Now of course there are going to be loads of games but I'm mostly hyped about the 1 or 2 unexpected announcements. Can't wait to see what's in store.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
do you think they'll do both in one package, or would that be too big of a project?

Difficult to say. Never played them but read about the games on the various FE wikis, i think Thracia plays in between and partially parallel the storyline of Genealogy, so one package might be tricky to do.
And they're both full blown FE games.

I think doing seperate releases with expanded content like they did for Echoes: Valentia is the better way to do.

Depending on the scope of the potential remakes, they might be able to do a one pack for the first two GBA games and handle the jump from Lyn, Eliwood and Hector to Roy like the time-skip in Three Houses and Genealogy.
So they would have room for a standalone SS remake and don't have to "waste" three games to the GBA generation.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Difficult to say. Never played them but read about the games on the various FE wikis, i think Thracia plays in between and partially parallel the storyline of Genealogy, so one package might be tricky to do.
And they're both full blown FE games.

I think doing seperate releases with expanded content like they did for Echoes: Valentia is the better way to do.
if they go that route then they'd probably have to hold one of the games for switch 2, cuz i think there's going to be 1 other new mainline title for switch as well.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'd add Skies of Arcadia to the remaster list, as well as my support for pretty much every other title that's been requested here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Heavy RPG year is the best kind of year one can wish for.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This is more on TPC than Nintendo but I would like them to port all the DS/3DS Pokémon games. I would like to replay X/Y or Sun/Moon.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
An RPG-heavy year would make me sad. :/

Me too, particularly if they're all JRPGS, but I also understand other stuff will fill the gaps and it's great for those who love it.

I dunno. I haven't fallen in love with a Switch game since Travis Strikes Again, so all I'm hoping for in 2020 is Bayonetta 3 and like at least 25 Metroid titles.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
RPG heavy seems to be mostly based on ports (WiiU/3DS/PS4/360...) and new games tbh (SMTV, Bravely Default 2, possibly Paper Mario, Trials remake, Pokemon DLC, etc) that can be easily predicted tbh. Sounds good to me.
Other people can stay on AC ;)

edit:
If they're turn-based RPG's, 2020 can die in a fire.
What's wrong with turn-based? There's less and less big budget turn based games nowadays.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
People who're not into RPGs get a new game with Travis "Fuckhead" Touchdown this year ... i hope. ^^

if they go that route then they'd probably have to hold one of the games for switch 2, cuz i think there's going to be 1 other new mainline title for switch as well.

Could be, but the last 3DS FE game was a remake. So maybe we're in the great spot of getting 2 remakes and another new mainline game on Switch 1 due to the engine being set up and ready.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's so many non-RPG games coming out for people who aren't into them. there's um... bayo 3, sports story, just dance 2021, the list goes on.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Maybe

The thing with the Switch ports of the first 3 games is that they're ports of the Japanese only 3DS versions, which were remakes of the mobile version. They were likely a lot easier to port to Switch than going right from mobile -> Switch because most of the work needed to make them widescreen and button controlled was already done for the 3DS years ago

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
There are some things we know or are heavily rumoured that aren't RPG's.

Pikmin 3
Mario 3D World
Zelda
Bayonetta 3
Well, most Nintendo games will not be RPG's
Deadly Premonition 2
No More Heroes 3
Bioshock Collection
Catherine
Xcom
Silksong
Sports Story

After the direct we'll get a better picture but I think there will be plenty to play for everyone.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
All the youngins in this thread slandering turn based combat...

I can't tell if I'm old or they just haven't played the right games.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I used to be really aggressively against turn-based RPGs but then I realized that fucken chess is turn-based

still wouldn't voluntarily play one not made by Shigesato Itoi or Toby Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.