• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
You know you can disable free aim while locking on in the prime trilogy? Atleast for Prime 1 and 2.
For some bosses in Prime 3 you needed the free aim, but it's not that hard to point the crosshair in the middle of the screen when you didn't need to shoot at some other enemy body part.

Granted I never owned the GC copies, but I was kinda embarrassed after looking in settings and going "huh, you can do that?". Took me like a few years to find lol.

Granted I prefer the default. I enjoy being able to strafe but still shoot whatever. There are times where I have locked on to enemy A to shoot other targets/enemies first, so it's pretty useful.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing and Spelunky would keep me occupied for the rest of the year

no further games needed

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Welp, it's happening, starting Monday all schools are closed, including universities, in France.
Thank god for Animal Crossing next week.

Tomorrow we have an exam, everyone in the group chat of my uni class are saying "noooo, why not starting tomorrow ?!! 😭" Lmao

RETROROTER

Feb 11, 2020
EF5bESWXYAE8gPl.jpg

Please god Please

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Today I learned that every metroidvania in existence is a Hollow Knight ripoff. Never change ERA.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Welp, it's happening, starting Monday all schools are closed, including universities, in France.
Thank god for Animal Crossing next week.

Tomorrow we have an exam, everyone in the group chat of my uni class are saying "noooo, why not starting tomorrow ?!! 😭" Lmao

Animal crossing is almost perfectly timed.
Good luck with your exam

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
My university is going to online classes too. Starting on the 19th with classes cancelled until then. None of the professors seem to know what to do about it, especially since we had some exams scheduled next week.

On the bright side, I can finally chip away at the backlog a bit faster. Dragon Quest and Ni no Kuni here I come!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh that's much classier
yeah i really like it. and the game size and supported languages, etc is much better presented. the US eshop wasn't that good previously compared to the EU eshops.

edit: they're still using a different layout for EU. they should just all use the same layout
www.nintendo.co.uk

Discover the hope that exists in us all!

Journey to find courage and confront a dark nemesis to save the forest of Nibel in Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition on Nintendo Switch.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
It depends if you want to finish the game by the time AC comes out or if you want to play it side by side with it. Ori looks to be about 10 hours of game, Hollow Knight is significantly longer (I think my initial playthrough was 30 hours). Ori has a demo if you want to see it it'll grip you, but both games are pretty cheap and should scratch a Metroidvania/exploration itch so I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Thanks for the balanced view. I kinda wanted to finish before AC, but Hollow Knight seems like a better game for me, so I think I'm gonna go with that.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Oh god I hope so. It's the only indie game I'm outright shocked isn't on the Switch yet. Well, other than BattleBlock Theater anyway.

Derek Yu has definitely expressed interest in the past, so it was a matter of time - given Spelunky 2 is coming out this year, I would hope that if it's multiplatform that now is a great time to release the original.

Spelunky 2 shadowdrop during the Direct would make my day. Played the first one for a total of 120 hours on Vita.

That would be amazing. It would definitely clear a cloud over my head as well, to be honest. But I'm 99% sure it's still a bit off, sadly (def this year, but more likely summer, at a guess, based on the most recent update on PS Blog).

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Dunno about that. All I know is that Ori/HK thread was a dumpster fire and should get nuked from orbit.
It did seem like a possible interesting conversation about all the similarities was lost under endless shitposts about "lmao OP has never played another game before" on one side and on the other someone accusing the game director of lying to his face. Definitely for the best that it got locked when it did.

Maybe one day we can have that thread

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
|OT13| is your lucky number... and am out
Will be the thread title, right ?!
well it's gonna be |OT12+1|, for the subtitle... who knows what we'll be talking about then. maybe the fact that botw2 was announced two years ago and there hasn't been a single new trailer or info dump since then.

Spelunky 2 shadowdrop during the Direct would make my day. Played the first one for a total of 120 hours on Vita.
there's something between spelunky and sony. i wouldn't expect 2 or 1 on switch anytime soon.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Spelunky 1 has been near the top of my most-wanted Switch ports for a while, next to Wonderful 101.

I'd be so happy if Derek dropped that soon, I'm ready to drop another week of my life into it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I voted 3rd party focus because I mostly use my Switch to play Nintendo games. No BotW2 seems a given, even if the game is planned for the following months it will be revealed during June for sure.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I voted "Other". What would upset most about the upcoming direct would be not seeing any of the following games:

- Metroid V.
- No More Heroes 3.
- Bayonetta 3.
- BoTW 2.
- Splatoon game.

And it can happen.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
there's something between spelunky and sony. i wouldn't expect 2 or 1 on switch anytime soon.

1 is almost definitely coming. There's no exclusivity there, especially given it was ported to PS after Steam and Xbox. It's entirely down to time and resource that it's taken as long as it potentially has.

There's definitely a question mark over 2, but no exclusivity or partnership has been openly stated, not even in the short term (of which I think might be the case). I suspect a proper announcement to whether or not it'll be a platform exclusive or a 'PS4 first' deal will be clarified within the next couple months...

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1 is almost definitely coming. There's no exclusivity there, especially given it was ported to PS after Steam and Xbox. It's entirely down to time and resource that it's taken as long as it potentially has.
you would think, but since the ps3/vita release it has only been ported to ps4. and then 2 was announced as a ps4 console exclusive at a sony event. i think there's something there, but it's just speculation on my part.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
you would think, but since the ps3/vita release it has only been ported to ps4. and then 2 was announced as a ps4 console exclusive at a sony event. i think there's something there, but it's just speculation on my part.

Well, to be fair there's not been any major reason to port the original since it hit PS4 - the 3DS wasn't quite up to scratch, technically (it had bumps on the PS Vita, which had more grunt than 3DS), and Wii U died before it got started. Yu himself has said he's interested in bringing it to Switch, which he wouldn't have said if there were no means. But he's but one man, working on both Spelunky 2 and UFO50, so it may not have been physically possible for him without port support.

Spelunky 2 may appear to be an exclusive, but check the PS Blog posts - it hasn't actually ever been stated (which it surely would be if it was). I was working at the actual event at the time and super excited to see the announcement, but a little confused about its status - even the most recent Blog post doesn't say anything along those lines, or even hint at it. And believe me, platform holders are not shy about their exclusives ;-)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, to be fair there's not been any major reason to port the original since it hit PS4 - the 3DS wasn't quite up to scratch, technically (it had bumps on the PS Vita, which had more grunt than 3DS), and Wii U died before it got started. Yu himself has said he's interested in bringing it to Switch, which he wouldn't have said if there were no means. But he's but one man, working on both Spelunky 2 and UFO50, so it may not have been physically possible for him without port support.

Spelunky 2 may appear to be an exclusive, but check the PS Blog posts - it hasn't actually ever been stated (which it surely would be if it was). I was working at the actual event at the time and super excited to see the announcement, but a little confused about its status - even the most recent Blog post doesn't say anything along those lines, or even hint at it. And believe me, platform holders are not shy about their exclusives ;-)
good points. fingers crossed then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.