• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a list of what Nintendo published in 2019 to get a general idea of how many games would release in 2020 if it's as strong as 2019.

1) Mario U Deluxe
2) Tetris 99
3) Yoshi's Crafted World
4) Labo 4
5) Box boy/girl
6) Cadene of Hyrule
7) Mario Maker 2
8) DQ Builders 2
9) Ultimate Alliance 3
10) Fire Emblem 3H
11) Astral Chain
12) Kirby Clash
13) Daemon x Machina
14) Links Awakening
15) Dragon Quest 11 S
16) Ring Fit
17) Luigi's Mansion 3
18) The Stretchers
19) Pokemon Sword
20) Pokemon Shield

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
OK disco elysium and spelunky on switch would literally be better than 90% of the things that can come out of a Nintendo Direct.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Any chance Nintendo are going to launch that this year? I think I remember Emily saying it definitely wouldn't come in the first half of 2020, but that she didn't know beyond that. We've got VentureBeat saying to expect 'lots' of ports, and I can't quite see where 'lots' of first-party ports are going to come from. Pikmin 3, 3D World... what else?

It's possible but i have no idea at the moment. Venturebeat is right. Expect a shit ton of ports in the Direct. Probably going to annoy some people.

Paper Mario wrapping up around now makes sense. It'll mean the bulk of Intelligent Systems has been at work on that for around 3 years, given Color Splash finished and launched in 2016, and the team that made Fire Emblem Echoes presumably mostly moved over to Paper Mario around this time in 2017 as Echoes wrapped up, given how few IS staff were involved in Three Houses.
Yeah. The timing works out. IS is working on other stuff but I'm not sure what right now.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible but i have no idea at the moment. Venturebeat is right. Expect a shit ton of ports in the Direct. Probably going to annoy some people.

Yeah. The timing works out. IS is working on other stuff but I'm not sure what right now.
The two ports that won't annoy me are Nier Automata, and MGSV

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Besides Pikmin 3 and SM3DW I'm not sure what else they even can port, when it comes to Wii U games. XCX was discussed but I thought ruled out, Color Splash doesn't make much sense if a new PM is coming soon, and Star Fox Zero probably can't even be the same game without dual screens.

What else am I missing?

Oh I guess WW/TP HD? Yeah those would be hella boring to me personally.

Oct 25, 2017
If these three games appear in the Direct, it will be one of the best ever for me: Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 3, Metroid V.

The holy trinity fuck yes

Whats yours btw?

I am a simple man. I see metroid, I'm hyped.
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid V
Metroid Prime 4

To be honest I'd be fortunate to see even one of these make any sort of appearance on the 26th. As far as non-metroid stuff...
Any sort of BotW2 tease would be big too. I'd also be down for some Zelda ports.
DoomxSmash or Crash in Smash would hype me.
I've never played a Bayo before but I'm interested in seeing 3.
Always happy to see Kirby.
I know my lady would be pumped about another Splatoon.
Star Fox Zero port would be pretty sweet if they could pull it off.
And New IPs are always cool.

It should be a good Direct, but I wouldn't go in expecting E3-tier megatons. A solid showing, H1 dates and some H2 stuff, and perhaps an unexpected/perplexing 3rd party announcement or two.
I am ready to be perplexed

What if i told you that 3D World port was already done
I've never played it so that'd be cool.

Prime Trilogy has been ready to go for a year now.
Metroid fans were made to suffer

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
if we get multiple Wii U ports and Wind Waker HD isn't among them what are we even doin'

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they soften a BotW2 "delay" by putting out a Zelda collection, like how we got WW and TP in the run up to the first game. Of course they wouldn't say it's a delay since it hasn't been dated, but I still figure they wanted it to hit 2020.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
As long as 'ports' doesn't only mean Wii U ports but also 3rd-party ports, I'm fine with that. Switch turns out to be a 'best of' console, where you can play every great 3rd party game from last gen.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Besides Pikmin 3 and SM3DW I'm not sure what else they even can port, when it comes to Wii U games. XCX was discussed but I thought ruled out, Color Splash doesn't make much sense if a new PM is coming soon, and Star Fox Zero probably can't even be the same game without dual screens.

What else am I missing?

Oh I guess WW/TP HD? Yeah those would be hella boring to me personally.

I'm talking in terms of Third party but Wind Waker/Twilight Princesse are indeed possible.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

That's interesting - thanks. I honestly can't see what other Nintendo ports there are on the horizon, because I think they'll keep stuff in reserve to help pad things out in later years. 3D World, Pikmin 3, Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade DE (well, remaster) could all come in 2020... Feels too soon for something like Chronicles X. Maybe a HD Zelda? Or HD versions of other Wii/GC titles? I'd take Last Story HD and F Zero GX HD any day of the week. I'm sure lots of third-party ports are coming once again, with XCOM 2, Catherine and Bioshock Collection just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd guess IS are moving onto more Fire Emblem (given Three Houses' success) and possibly WarioWare, or something for eShop.
How about something new, what are the odds on a Monster Hunter in this Direct?
I've been hoping for something like this. We're seeing interesting third-party exclusives (timed or otherwise) emerge on Switch this year and I hoped Monster Hunter might finally get an original title on Switch. It's been a little over 2 years since World, there were (if I recall correctly) two teams for Monster Hunter, and Switch has become the clear market-leader in Japan. If it launched globally in 2020 it'd make a promising year even better for me.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
As long as 'ports' doesn't only mean Wii U ports but also 3rd-party ports, I'm fine with that. Switch turns out to be a 'best of' console, where you can play every great 3rd party game from last gen.

Yeah. Expect lots of 3rd party stuff like usual.
If one of them is Yakuza 0, I'll be the happiest man alive!!!
Maybe. I think SEGA's going to stop doing PS4 exclusives before too long.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking in terms of Third party but Wind Waker/Twilight Princesse are indeed possible.

Ah gotcha. Third party ports are wonderful to have IMO.

The writer of that VB article had said he heard it would have a lot of Nintendo ports specifically, so I thought you were commenting on that.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow knowing the Direct is two weeks away (in all likelihood anyway) makes the waiting worse, at least for me.

Now we're gonna see the same old tired Paper Mario/Metroid 5/Mario Kart 9 discussions over and over again.

How about something new, what are the odds on a Monster Hunter in this Direct?
A big title like MH would be announced in the upcoming direct. If it's not, then I would kind of lose hope on that one. I believe a MH project exists so I think this direct will be the one where it gets announced.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. I think SEGA's going to stop doing PS4 exclusives before too long.
tenor.gif

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Last gen ports would be so underwhelming. If I didn't buy the games in 10+ years, it's because I don't give a fuck about them. Current gen games at least make more sense, like Witcher 3 did.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
The two ports that won't annoy me are Nier Automata, and MGSV

These are near the top of my list too. Oh, and obviously Persona 5 Royal (hahahahaha).

Honestly, I'd have no problem with the Direct being full of third party ports, because ... What else can we really expect from third parties right now with next gen approaching?

First party Wii U ports are fine too, as long as we still get three or four legitimately new first party games this year (preferably two summer, two fall). I mean, how many Wii U games worth porting are left? Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World are almost certainly coming this year, so that leaves ... Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and ... anything else? Fatal Frame, I suppose, but I can't imagine anyone would complain about that. Basically everything else already has an iterative sequel on the Switch (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Yoshi), is heavily dependent on the GamePad (Nintendo Land, Game & Wario), or was just widely panned (Devil's Third, Amiibo Festival, Star Fox Zero). (I'm ignoring Color Splash here, because a new Paper Mario has been so heavily rumored at this point.)

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Ah gotcha. Third party ports are wonderful to have IMO.

The writer of that VB article had said he heard it would have a lot of Nintendo ports specifically, so I thought you were commenting on that.

Same. The more the better but many people here seem to be annoyed by that.

I'm certain 3D World and Pikimin 3 will be in it, but not sure after that.

They only thing that will annoy me is when they don't announce a Xenoblade X port.
You will continue to be annoyed then

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Forgive me for saying this, but why should we believe Zippo? Other than the verification, he hasn't gotten anything right.

I respect you Zip, but I'm not exactly jumping to trust you right now.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Third party ports not first party. First party should hopefully only be Pikmin and 3D a World with WW coming another year

Kingdom Hearts collection port time??

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Mod whining. Hostility. History of related behavior
OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me for saying this, but why should we believe Zippo? Other than the verification, he hasn't gotten anything right.

Not being mean but not sure why y'all are following Zippo again lol...

Talking to him and asking questions is not the same as believing.

I tend to think he probably has accurate information but I'm not unquestionably believing that 100%.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Was Zippo ever right about something I'm just wondering why y'all put so much thought on his vague declarations.
There never was 2 directs planned for February as we know now and of course there will be ports and third party games in the direct. Ports info comes from Emily and Nate btw.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

No offense, believe what you want, but considering how you jumped on my every word months ago, including attributing my name to a wishlist that had little to do with me, this is hilarious.

Also, some advice, don't trust random people on the internet, ever.

I wonder if Nintendo will put out a statement about E3's cancellation today.
Probably something.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the ports I mentioned, I'm craving for some stealth games and adventure games so I'd take ports of Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell and Deus Ex but generally I would rather have more niche stuff that uses the Switch to it's max capacity or is just a niche project from a well known developer. Something like Silent Hills or something along those lines. I want more of those games.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
No offense, believe what you want, but considering how you jumped on my every word months ago, including attributing my name to a wishlist that had little to do with me, this is hilarious.

Also, some advice, don't trust random people on the internet, ever.

And that was my bad. I made a mistake, and it won't happen again.

But given the circumstances, I wouldn't call my post hilarious. It's a simple point.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

Not being mean but not sure why y'all are following Zippo again lol...
Which part of 'lots of third-party ports' seems unbelievable? It's a common sense hypothesis. Through ratings boards, we already know a few of them.

As for the Paper Mario stuff, plenty of us had been speculating it'd make 2020 - especially after Three Houses launched and it became clear most of Intelligent Systems were working on something else. Whether it's a "return to form" remains to be seen, but it's neither an outlandish nor unreasonable claim that Paper Mario is coming this year.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's Twitter account hasn't posted anything since they retweeted the Apple thing about Mario Run. Curious why they're quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.