• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oracion

Jan 7, 2018
Tokyo
Didn't Sabi say they knew of an Indies World broadcast scheduled for March? It's certainly not the first rumour we've had on that front.

I'd guess an Indies World happening next week could be one sign that the other information is accurate, but it's interesting that VentureBeat were confident enough in their sources to go to press with this. I assume the sources are indies and other third parties, rather than anyone at Nintendo.
Both?
resetera.com

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT6| OT7 Has Been Rated in Korea

In this instance, when I was talking about ports, I was speaking specifically about Nintendo's games. But I definitely don't know everything. Just trying to help keep expectations in check.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
It'd be smart of any involved Indies to leak the plans, if we'd gotten an indie direct next week without knowing a general direct was coming I think people might have misdirected their anger.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
If they're just confirming what's in the Direct, that means they were taking their time to be sure about what would be ready
That's also a good way of looking at it, yeah, maybe even more sensical than expecting them to fear overshadowing AC.
They simply wanted to nail down what they could and be sure to only feature that, probably to prevent a large batch of games they're unclear about to possibly be delayed or anything like that (see The Outer Worlds e.g.).

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
giphy.gif

My current feeling about this thread, the length of the general Direct drought, Nintendo's Silence and the Nintendo Direct drought.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm not convinced it works like that. I'm not buying AC because I just want another Nintendo first party game. Folks interested in AC would get it by now anyways and you're just taking away potential hype and interest from folks that don't care for AC by solely focusing on that one title.

I'm in no way a marketing expert, I won't claim to know the best, but simply going by logic, I don't see any (huge) upsides and more downsides to this.
But I might also be talking out of my anti-AC bubble here, don't know. I can't really put myself in the shoes of someone who's interested in the game.
I don't think that's Nintendo's strategy, but it certainly worked. So many people here are saying that because of no Direct, they bought Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and preloaded Animal Crossing.
It certainly made sense for Mystery Dungeon anyway. Nintendo already wasn't really advertizing it a lot before release, a Nintendo Direct prior to its release would have overshadowed so hard that niche game.
You can't overshadow AC though, so while that's an usual strategy for them... I can't see it not working for them ? Like, I don't see how it could negatively affect their sales.
Yeah we want our Nintendo Direct, yeah it's annoying to still don't know by March what they're going to sell us beyong Xenoblade, Famicom Detective Club, and DLCs.
But there's really no downside for them ? To piss off a few gamers that will soon just say "hell yeeeeeeah !!" like last year ? I mean people were fucking pissed last year too at no Direct in January.
Really, the only downsides are just for us because we have to wait longer to plan how much we're going to spend this year. But obviously, as a company, Nintendo really doesn't care about that, they just want us to spend as much as possible.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
That's also a good way of looking at it, yeah, maybe even more sensical than expecting them to fear overshadowing AC.
They simply wanted to nail down what they could and be sure to only feature that, probably to prevent a large batch of games they're unclear about to possibly be delayed or anything like that (see The Outer Worlds e.g.).
Yep. And I honestly think this is the case. That's assuming VentureBeat are on the ball here, but they must assume the information is solid to go to press with it.

I completely understand why people are frustrated at not knowing what's coming later this year, but Nintendo have been careful to keep communicating with their fanbase in different ways every month since the last general Direct. That suggests to me that, behind the scenes, there was some uncertainty over which projects would be ready in 2020 - but we're fast approaching that new financial year where Nintendo need to have a roadmap not just for their fans, but for their investors too.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah but they're not going to air the June Direct at later date than when was supposed to be E3. Third parties have marketing schedule, right now it's already set in stone than their game will be featured or announced in the Nintendo Direct of E3.
Third parties marketing schedule can change too. We dont know yet.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
I didn't mean the differences between FFVII and FFVIIR were technical ones, I meant the differences were just technicalities, as in it doesn't matter what the differences were.

Let's be honest, how would people look at it if XC, or even Pikmin 3, got the same treatment as FFVIIR? Hint - "Oh no so many ports". Just look at the uphill fight people had with Splatoon 2, a brand new game... Even to this day there are at least some of the "oh no so many ports" crowd that still count it in the negative (ports) part of the list...
You have literally no evidence to back this up. FFVIIR and RE3 are basically new games, they play, look, and sound entirely different from the 20+ year old originals. People didn't complain about Samus returns, which was that style of remake.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Both?
resetera.com

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT6| OT7 Has Been Rated in Korea

In this instance, when I was talking about ports, I was speaking specifically about Nintendo's games. But I definitely don't know everything. Just trying to help keep expectations in check.
Interesting. Two of the most firmly rumoured games have, for months, been Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World, so I'd assume it's a reference to those.

And I'd also reiterate that Emily stated her one concern about 2020 was that Nintendo would lean heavily on older content (i.e. ports, remasters), though there still would be new stuff.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
I'm not convinced it works like that. I'm not buying AC because I just want another Nintendo first party game. Folks interested in AC would get it by now anyways and you're just taking away potential hype and interest from folks that don't care for AC by solely focusing on that one title.

I'm in no way a marketing expert, I won't claim to know the best, but simply going by logic, I don't see any (huge) upsides and more downsides to this.
But I might also be talking out of my anti-AC bubble here, don't know. I can't really put myself in the shoes of someone who's interested in the game.

I have the game pre-ordered because it's a Nintendo franchise that I have never played, and want to know what the hype is about. Trying to be part of the zeitgeist, I guess. It's working on me. If Nintendo reveals something else, will most probably cancel the order and get some other game.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Would this happen to be a reference to a couple of Wii U ports that we've been expecting to see in 2020? Not sure if I should state directly what they are...

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
According to Emily, we know that this year will have lots of casual and RPGs games. In addition, the latest news say that there will be lots of ports. RPG+port= Nier Automata? Basically, I'm hoping for lots of Japanese announcements, both ports and new games.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Third parties marketing schedule can change too. We dont know yet.
No, they won't just all simply accept to let Nintendo fuck up their whole marketing schedule.
They didn't accept for a simple week in 2018 due to an eathquake, they won't accept now for who knows how long just because Nintendo all of a sudden isn't feeling the E3 week. If Nintendo does that, then third parties will just announce stuff on their own, and then the Nintendo Direct will just be reminders that those games were announced on Twitter.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would this happen to be a reference to a couple of Wii U ports that we've been expecting to see in 2020? Not sure if I should state directly what they are...
I'll just say that if 3D World is coming, I haven't heard one way or the other. To be very clear, that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I absolutely have gaps in my knowledge for this Direct. Beyond that, I think many of the recent rumors from reliable people are accurate.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'll just say that if 3D World is coming, I haven't heard one way or the other. To be very clear, that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I absolutely have gaps in my knowledge for this Direct. Beyond that, I think many of the recent rumors from reliable people are accurate.
Thanks for the response. I guess Nintendo are leakier than they used to be, but they still keep plenty under wraps. The Zelda reveal at E3 being a good example of how easily they can blindside people when they want to. Hell, even yesterday's Lego Super Mario news came out of nowhere.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Makes sense given than Emily said one Wii U port in H1, one in H2. I always expected Pikmin 3 to be H1 given it was supposed to be a 2019 game, and 3D World in H2, announcement in the September Direct for a late October release or November release.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
No, they won't just all simply accept to let Nintendo fuck up their whole marketing schedule.
They didn't accept for a simple week in 2018 due to an eathquake, they won't accept now for who knows how long just because Nintendo all of a sudden isn't feeling the E3 week. If Nintendo does that, then third parties will just announce stuff on their own, and then the Nintendo Direct will just be reminders that those games were announced on Twitter.
Why third parties have not announced any game for this year yet? (For Switch)

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
General Direct Predictions - Two Weeks Out Edition
  • Super Mario 3D World Deluxe
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Splatoon Spin-Off
  • Paper Mario TTYD/64 Remake
  • Something completely weird, either another Ubisoft collab or something from EPD (Although, I guess a Splatoon Racing title could fit this bill, and that would be the spin-off listed above)
  • Smash Fighter Pass 2 Fighter 1
  • Super Mario Maker 2 update, new gamestyle
  • BOTW 2 teaser at the very end (very short, no gameplay, no title)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps, State of Decay 2, No Man's Sky, Biomutant, Apex Legends, Epic Mickey remaster shown off

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Hi fam! I only really ever check this thread while I'm at work and bored. What have I missed in the past... we'll call it 15 hours?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense given than Emily said one Wii U port in H1, one in H2. I always expected Pikmin 3 to be H1 given it was supposed to be a 2019 game, and 3D World in H2, announcement in the September Direct for a late October release or November release.
Yes. Pikmin 3 always made sense for first half of 2020 and 3D World for second half. I disagree with the release tho. I don't see it past September release.

Jan 27, 2019
Alright I'm slightly calmer now but seriously, this stunt of having a direct after animal crossing new horizons is flat out stupid. I don't think having a direct before AC:NH would kill the hype surrounding it. If anything, it inspires not a lot of confidence for Nintendo's Lineup and makes me less excited for what 2020 has with the coronavirus being broadcasted on a 24/7 basis.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yes. Pikmin 3 always made sense for first half of 2020 and 3D World for second half. I disagree with the release tho. I don't see it past September release.
I think 3D World is July or October, depending on what else Nintendo have ready. They normally have notable titles in July, but an October release would be well-timed without Nintendo's entire Q4 slate relying on a big game that is ultimately still a port. It'd leave room for another release in October itself (Bayonetta? Metroid?), with November clear for Zelda or EPD 9's game, or even both (Nintendogs and Zelda would be fine launching the same month, for example).

What's interesting to me is that VentureBeat say Nintendo are finalising which 3rd party games will be included. So not only is there the possibility Nintendo have been waiting on their own software pipeline, but maybe there are some notable 3rd party games which they want to feature. There's always the probability that these are just ports - and it could also be projects from Virtuous, which has had to slow down due to Coronavirus - but maybe there are some more notable exclusives coming alongside No More Heroes, Bravely 2, Deadly Premonition etc.

Perhaps it's finally time for Ninjala to get a release date? Or there's an Ubisoft collaboration coming? Maybe even Monster Hunter? Shouldn't get my hopes up. The current rumoured stuff being confirmed and Zelda and Bayonetta hitting 2020 would be enough for me, but I feel like 2020 is the year where we should start to see more new third-party titles. To an extent that's already the case, with stuff like Doom Eternal, Empire of Sin, Gods & Monsters etc slated.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll update the OP and post a threadmark soon with the VentureBeat info.

Didn't Sabi say they knew of an Indies World broadcast scheduled for March? It's certainly not the first rumour we've had on that front.

I'd guess an Indies World happening next week could be one sign that the other information is accurate, but it's interesting that VentureBeat were confident enough in their sources to go to press with this. I assume the sources are indies and other third parties, rather than anyone at Nintendo.

EDIT: On the subject of E3, it'll be pretty easy for bigger publishers to find work-arounds and get their news out. It wouldn't surprise me if ESA try to get online events going out under the E3 banner anyway, even if the trade/consumer show is postponed. E3 serves as a useful way of funnelling attention into a particular spot on the calendar. Microsoft in particular seemed to be betting heavily on a big E3 showing, so we're still going to get news in June. Maybe Nintendo's timing works out slightly differently, but I'd expect they push out a Direct in June or early July.

They always do an indie showcase during GDC, I'm pretty sure it's been the case for each of the past 3 years. That doesn't mean Sabi had inside info, many of us predicted this.

Also I could be remembering wrong but didn't Sabi say it was based on that GDC pattern rather than anything insider related?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I really want to have right is the Splatoon spin-off. Idk but I get very excited just wondering what direction Nintendo would take the first Splatoon spinoff. I can imagine more a less a Metroid 5 or Paper Mario RPG, but a spin-off can go anywhere.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
They always do an indie showcase during GDC, I'm pretty sure it's been the case for each of the past 3 years. That doesn't mean Sabi had inside info, many of us predicted this.

Also I could be remembering wrong but didn't Sabi say it was based on that GDC pattern rather than anything insider related?
I honestly don't remember. To be blunt, I didn't put a huge amount of stock in what Sabi said. I'd forgotten about the GDC pattern, but have seen a few posters mention it.

Certainly, based on what Nate has said and based on what VentureBeat have reported, the stars might finally be aligning.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll update the OP and post a threadmark soon with the VentureBeat info.

Sabi got it from a trustworthy insider

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
It's reliving finally seeing some really convincing Rumors about new Directs in the coming weeks.

I mean 2020 has startet really shiity with the whole covid-19 shiit (Had even to cancel my Trip to Japan😭) and other Events who got cancled because of it, and also the lack of News from Nintendo.. wasn't the start that I hope to be for 2020.

I hope it will be better from now on..

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
Gut feeling says this next direct (26th?) won't show any of the obscure bigger ones (MP4, Bayo3, SMTV and even BotW2).

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The Sabi talk reminds me of dkcfan, of how each time we talked shit about Sabi he was mad, saying that Sabi has an insane track record lol, and each time we talked about Emily, he went on his shit of "hmmm she's not that reliable she got stuff wrong 10 years ago" lmao

Bless the Donkey Kong Fucker, miss him

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Okay mazi Bonejack

I just spent 50mn to complete the Pico 8 levels. Game is hard but not punishing so you never end up frustrated.

Having a great time so far, about to finish Chapter 3.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
General Direct Predictions - Two Weeks Out Edition
  • Super Mario 3D World Deluxe
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Splatoon Spin-Off
  • Paper Mario TTYD/64 Remake
  • Something completely weird, either another Ubisoft collab or something from EPD (Although, I guess a Splatoon Racing title could fit this bill, and that would be the spin-off listed above)
  • Smash Fighter Pass 2 Fighter 1
  • Super Mario Maker 2 update, new gamestyle
  • BOTW 2 teaser at the very end (very short, no gameplay, no title)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps, State of Decay 2, No Man's Sky, Biomutant, Apex Legends, Epic Mickey remaster shown off
I would change Paper Mario to a brand new game, but everything together would make a fantastic direct.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I really want to have right is the Splatoon spin-off. Idk but I get very excited just wondering what direction Nintendo would take the first Splatoon spinoff. I can imagine more a less a Metroid 5 or Paper Mario RPG, but a spin-off can go anywhere.
I would love to see what they will do with the series but I think it will be Splatoon 3 rather than a spinoff. In the case of a spinoff I think they could do something with the Salmon Run concept.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay mazi Bonejack

I just spent 50mn to complete the Pico 8 levels. Game is hard but not punishing so you never end up frustrated.

Having a great time so far, about to finish Chapter 3.
nice! i loved that they included the pico 8 version in the game. if you found that interesting, there's also a really cute pico 8 "demake" of fez, you should check it out (it's free).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Sabi talk reminds me of dkcfan, of how each time we talked shit about Sabi he was mad, saying that Sabi has an insane track record lol, and each time we talked about Emily, he went on his shit of "hmmm she's not that reliable she got stuff wrong 10 years ago" lmao

Bless the Donkey Kong Fucker, miss him

I really do miss donkey Kong country fanboy. He was giving me some quality entertainment. The whole casual games spiel was too good

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Era
>atleast we dont have to wait long till the June Direct

Nintendo
>E3 is cancelled, the next direct will be late September

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Gut feeling says this next direct (26th?) won't show any of the obscure bigger ones (MP4, Bayo3, SMTV and even BotW2).
I expect BOTW2 this year in November, but yeah I think we'll see it at E3, not this Direct.
I do expect to see Bayonetta 3 out of this list.
Maybe SMTV, Atlus said we'll see it this year. Might be at TGS, but wouldn't be surprised to see it here, along with the Catherine reveal. That was in my long prediction post from the other day now that I think about it.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
Alright I'm slightly calmer now but seriously, this stunt of having a direct after animal crossing new horizons is flat out stupid. I don't think having a direct before AC:NH would kill the hype surrounding it. If anything, it inspires not a lot of confidence for Nintendo's Lineup and makes me less excited for what 2020 has with the coronavirus being broadcasted on a 24/7 basis.
It makes no difference if they decide to have a direct 2 weeks before AC or right after it lol

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad the first half of the month pattern illusion will end if the Venture Beat article turns out to be true. There never was a pattern, just coincidence. It will make things less predictable though. Now we're going to have people waiting for announcements every week instead of the first 2 weeks of the month.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need to make a bet on BotW 2 showing up in this direct IF it's this years holiday. It doesn't have to be avatar. This bet only counts if BotW 2 is coming this holiday. Either it'll be shown here or whatever Nintendo's E3 direct would be

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
We need to make a bet on BotW 2 showing up in this direct IF it's this years holiday. It doesn't have to be avatar. This bet only counts if BotW 2 is coming this holiday. Either it'll be shown here or whatever Nintendo's E3 direct would be
I'm not sure, but I will bet against botw2 showing up. I think E3 is the better place for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.