• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
After what Q1/Q2? The one where they released 3 4 games in Q1 and a Q2 they can still fill up with titles as we know nothing of it yet?

I'm sorry but it's a little underwhelming we have 0 information besides AC:NH and we just had one anouncement which is a 60€ remake of a charming but quite simplistic pokemon dungeon.

And i see 0 direct being anounced, I don't mind the leaks etc because I chose not to believe in any of those, especially if they put in legal danger journalists/leakers...plus none were true for this year so...

E3 is cancelled. There are no rules anymore. Just suffering.

I know it's a little disappointing but E3 will probably still be held in a way online and all anouncements will be held on twitch/youtube/mixer (ea, ubisoft, MS,..) for us who never go to E3 it won't be really different.

A very simple example, GDC cancelled, Microsoft anounced an online schedule for next week with interesting bits on series X apparently, I'd expect the same thing here.

If it's not the case then that would mean they didn't really have an important show to begin with and/or need more time

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 will possibly be port heavy (with people lumping remakes and ports all together) - "not again, doom, oh my god, horrible, too many ports!!!"

At least two of 2020s most anticipated PS4 games are FFVIIR and RE3, which are remakes - "wonderful, we want more, when's the next remake, PS4 is the best!!"

Sure there are technically differences, but it doesn't matter to the complainers how much new content there is in whatever ports are on the horizon, whether anyone even played them on the original platform, and whether they are a remaster or a port.

What I am saying is that if these were Nintendo games that had the same amount of remastering as FFVIIR and RE3, people would have still reacted with "not again, doom, oh my god, horrible, too many ports!!!"
It's not "technical differences". FFVIIR is almost like a reimagining they're adding and changing a lot to it.

No E³ this year, huh? I wonder if Nintendo will keep the schedule and just rename the E³ Direct into a "regular" one. Going to miss Treehouse Live though.

I wonder if Gamescom will happen.
they can do Treehouse at Nintendo HQ's instead. Gamescom will cancel if the virus continues strongly

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
E3 will probably be a digital-only event his year - I think it still could be a communication pulse-point. It'll just be wayyy cheaper and less stress for everyone involved now lol

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right now Nintendo of America's employees are telecommuting due to concerns of the virus.
That's true, but we're talking about June. It could get better in Seattle/Redmond by June if Nintendo still wants to have a direct that month. I can see them pushing it to July to get demos out to Best Buy for public if needed

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people float the notion that once it's cancelled for this year, it might be gone for good. It has been declining in the last few years anyway with publishers doing their own stuff.

It's all speculation, though.
Sounds like normal forum hyperbole to me.i doubt its going anywhere. Maybe the conference's but not the actual expo.

SunnyDays

Aug 28, 2019
That's true, but we're talking about June. It could get better in Seattle/Redmond by June if Nintendo still wants to have a direct that month. I can see them pushing it to July to get demos out to Best Buy for public if needed
If this is still ongoing to July, which there's no indication to suggest it wouldn't be, demos in BestBuy would also have the overhead of needing constant sanitation, which basically means one staff member constantly watching over them. That'd be fine for the "demo days" Nintendo sometimes does, but not for long term demo kiosks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is still ongoing to July, which there's no indication to suggest it wouldn't be, demos in BestBuy would also have the overhead of needing constant sanitation, which basically means one staff member constantly watching over them. That'd be fine for the "demo days" Nintendo sometimes does, but not for long term demo kiosks.
Yeah. I can see them not doing it at all. I don't expect it to get better, especially in America. Nintendo will figure it out. I do think they will have a Tree house in some fashion.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The Lite Coral is coming on April 24th in Europe , it would make sense for a game to release alongside it (I'll admit that the window is short).

Deleted member 53506

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Sounds like normal forum hyperbole to me.i doubt its going anywhere. Maybe the conference's but not the actual expo.
It does strike me as a a bit of an over-reaction, too. Still, E3 seems to have lost a lot of its relevance in the last couple of years. Even if it doesn't go entirely, I don't think it's unreasonable that it likely won't be the same.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
t1585144800z4.png

I know it seems long away, but we've come over 6 months already.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Was all set to bail on the Direct hype after today, then that VentureBeat story had to happen...

giphy.gif

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Nindies are usually my favourite kind of Direct so I'm happy with this rumour if it pans out. A nice big dose of Nintendo over the space of a week.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know with E3 cancelled things are all up in the air with what Nintendo is going to do, but if they still plan to do something on their own in June, the silver lining to all of this is it ain't gonna be a long wait till the next Direct after this one.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I know with E3 cancelled things are all up in the air with what Nintendo is going to do, but if they still plan to do something on their own in June, the silver lining to all of this is it ain't gonna be a long wait till the next Direct after this one.
Yeah, that is probably the most positive thing about this whole wait we had to endure so far.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
With E3 probably cancelled I could see Nintendo having a Direct after it just because it suits them better. A late March Direct and a E3 Direct may be too close. As I said, theres the possibility of delaying the three bigs Direct in the year a little.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Still can't believe Nintendo's strategy seemingly is waiting for AC to launch and then start promoting other big releases again. Like, ugh, that's just a dumb way to go about it and I don't think AC really needs it - other there being a really big tent pole announcement in the Direct taking away AC's buzz (which I still doubt would happen, but that's the only slightly logical thing to expect for me).

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I like how with an 26th March Direct everyone would be losing.
- People who thought a Direct would happen earlier
- People who claimed no Direct till E3
- Dachhase who said April
- People believing in patterns

The only person winning would be Nate who said it would happen lol.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
With E3 probably cancelled I could see Nintendo having a Direct after it just because it suits them better. A late March Direct and a E3 Direct may be too close. As I said, theres the possibility of delaying the three bigs Direct in the year a little.
Everyone involved has a precise marketing schedule.
That's why the possibility that a Direct could be delayed never made sense in the first place. Most of the Directs are made of third party news.
They can "delay" the last Direct of the year, it's still early in the year, but the one that was supposed to air at E3, I doubt that third parties would accept.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Didn't Sabi say they knew of an Indies World broadcast scheduled for March? It's certainly not the first rumour we've had on that front.

I'd guess an Indies World happening next week could be one sign that the other information is accurate, but it's interesting that VentureBeat were confident enough in their sources to go to press with this. I assume the sources are indies and other third parties, rather than anyone at Nintendo.

EDIT: On the subject of E3, it'll be pretty easy for bigger publishers to find work-arounds and get their news out. It wouldn't surprise me if ESA try to get online events going out under the E3 banner anyway, even if the trade/consumer show is postponed. E3 serves as a useful way of funnelling attention into a particular spot on the calendar. Microsoft in particular seemed to be betting heavily on a big E3 showing, so we're still going to get news in June. Maybe Nintendo's timing works out slightly differently, but I'd expect they push out a Direct in June or early July.

Last edited:

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Everyone involved has a precise marketing schedule.
That's why the possibility that a Direct could be delayed never made sense in the first place. Most of the Directs are made of third party news.
They can "delay" the last Direct of the year, it's still early in the year, but the one that was supposed to air at E3, I doubt that third parties would accept.
I meant delayed in the sense of airing it later because for whatever reason fits better their marketing schedule, not for external weird factors. It may be, that having the first general Direct of the year that later is solely due to AC.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm advocating in my field to reduce unnecessary business trips and conferences (and I speak as someone taking 30+ intercontinental flights per year with the personal carbon footprint of a entire small country). E3 cancellation and possibly move toward an all digital event goes in the right direction.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
Still can't believe Nintendo's strategy seemingly is waiting for AC to launch and then start promoting other big releases again. Like, ugh, that's just a dumb way to go about it and I don't think AC really needs it - other there being a really big tent pole announcement in the Direct taking away AC's buzz (which I still doubt would happen, but that's the only slightly logical thing to expect for me).

I don't really care for Animal Crossing, but how's that dumb to not show any other games ? I think it's a smart strategy to push AC to even larger audience, who are on the fence, and just want a new Nintendo game.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Is there any possibility Nintendo delayed the Direct because of corona?
I've read yesterday that China's starting to get a grip on corona so maybe Nintendo wanted to see first how things were progressing?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I don't think Nintendo's strategy is down to any fear or concern over Animal Crossing. If they're just confirming what's in the Direct, that means they were taking their time to be sure about what would be ready and, as some of us said, that is likely down to what their biggest cards for the year are. I think at least some of this is down to Zelda - Nintendo want to be sure they can get that out. There aren't many bigger cards for them to play in 2020.
Is there any possibility Nintendo delayed the Direct because of corona?
I've read yesterday that China's starting to get a grip on corona so maybe Nintendo wanted to see first how things were progressing?
See above. I don't think it's likely the Direct was ever 'delayed' - because if VentureBeat are right, Nintendo are only now finalising this Direct. We shouldn't forget Nintendo have done some sort of marketing and reveal for Switch content every month since September, even without them confirming much of their 2020. I think it's more down to Nintendo wanting to be sure they had everything in order for 2020. Coronavirus will perhaps have complicated that, but Nintendo's marketing schedule for December through February (which included Indies World, Pokemon Direct, Smash broadcast, Animal Crossing Direct) would have been decided before Coronavirus was an issue.

In other words, Nintendo decided not to have a general Direct before March before Coronavirus would have forced them into that kind of decision.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I think it's a smart strategy to push AC to even larger audience, who are on the fence, and just want a new Nintendo game.
I'm not convinced it works like that. I'm not buying AC because I just want another Nintendo first party game. Folks interested in AC would get it by now anyways and you're just taking away potential hype and interest from folks that don't care for AC by solely focusing on that one title.

I'm in no way a marketing expert, I won't claim to know the best, but simply going by logic, I don't see any (huge) upsides and more downsides to this.
But I might also be talking out of my anti-AC bubble here, don't know. I can't really put myself in the shoes of someone who's interested in the game.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I meant delayed in the sense of airing it later because for whatever reason fits better their marketing schedule, not for external weird factors. It may be, that having the first general Direct of the year that later is solely due to AC.
Yeah but they're not going to air the June Direct at later date than when was supposed to be E3. Third parties have marketing schedule, right now it's already set in stone than their game will be featured or announced in the Nintendo Direct of E3.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It's not "technical differences". FFVIIR is almost like a reimagining they're adding and changing a lot to it.
I didn't mean the differences between FFVII and FFVIIR were technical ones, I meant the differences were just technicalities, as in it doesn't matter what the differences were.

Let's be honest, how would people look at it if XC, or even Pikmin 3, got the same treatment as FFVIIR? Hint - "Oh no so many ports". Just look at the uphill fight people had with Splatoon 2, a brand new game... Even to this day there are at least some of the "oh no so many ports" crowd that still count it in the negative (ports) part of the list...

Status
Not open for further replies.