• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I started a thread about Resetera adding a "likes" feature and the thread was pretty overwhelmingly against the idea.

That said? I still kinda want it. I'm not saying I suddenly want threads sorted by number of likes or anything, I just want to be able to let other users know I appreciated their jokes/takes without clogging up a thread.

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYY
I'm surprised it didn't go over well, Xenforo supports Discord-style emoji reactions which everyone I interact with on the platform seems to love. I would disagree if it were just upvotes and downvotes like Reddit but I love having dozens of different possible reactions.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I think 3d world people don't like because they think it was made for multiplayer.
Didn't feel that way to me but people say all kinds of weird stuff.
Yeah it doesn't feel this way. First played it solo, fucking loved it. Then played it on multiplayer, also fucking loved it.
One of the goat. Going back to 3D Land is boring after having played that crazy game that is 3D Land. Each game has its very own gimmick, it's just insane. And visually it's so good.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Resetera should just steal Miiverse's "Yeah!" feature, not like Nintendo is using it

Just a nice little positive thing without the negative side that can easily be abused

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Reading the "Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are great but..." thread, and there's someone that said that Returns was ok, but that he didn't like anything in Tropical Freeze. That's just insane to me.
Even more crazy than the people saying "I like Mario 3D Land but dislike 3D World", how is it even possible ? It's the same base, but bigger, better, more fun, more varied, crazier, etc.
If you like 3D Land and Country Returns, I just don't understand how you could dislike Tropical Freeze and 3D World.

Nintendo"s had hipsters for a long time

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Resetera should just steal Miiverse's "Yeah!" feature, not like Nintendo is using it

Just a nice little positive thing without the negative side that can easily be abused

ESxWMxgUEAUgI6D

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Yeah it doesn't feel this way. First played it solo, fucking loved it. Then played it on multiplayer, also fucking loved it.
One of the goat. Going back to 3D Land is boring after having played that crazy game that is 3D Land. Each game has its very own gimmick, it's just insane. And visually it's so good.

I agree but era is a strange place.
I still like 3D land a lot though even after world, might be forced like though since it was only 3ds game I had for a few months so I played it every day at lunch break

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the top poster in this thread by a factor of two bailed over an avatar bet of all things
If the king has abandoned his post in cowardice then the line of succession is clear
Now skittzo0413 is king of thread (some might say his rightful place, as founder of this kingdom) and glory be to Prince Raccoon who inherits #2

yz7PHwu.jpg

what comes first, folders on switch or reaction scores on era

Heat death

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
theory: yuoke bailed because he's afraid we're about to get a direct in the second half of the month and he'll thenceforth no longer be able to remind everyone that we never get a direct in the second half of the month

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I don't hate it at all, but it's easily my least favourite 3D Mario. I just wasn't memorable for me.
I played it through on my own and then again with a full group a year after, which I enjoyed more but still nowhere near the others. The gameplay was solid and it does look great, but it just didn't do anything for me. I thought at the time it was just because it was the Wii U or because I was a bit older, but then Odyssey came out and I got the same feeling I did with the others. I'm not saying that it was made for multiplayer but that always seemed to be its usp. Also the bell upgrade wasn't nearly charming, quirky or fun enough of a gimmick for me.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine a Direct which ends with that kinda fucked up looking Lego Mario. Sure, the Lego logo after blunts the impact, but the actual teaser, with that specific creepy Mario in a Direct would be fucking weird.

edit: I missed the Argo thing but yeah that movie sucks.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about the Lego thing. Doubt it very much.

Yeah, it was from GAME. I agree it could be something else, but what do you think it is?

I honestly think it's equally likely that it was just a mistake by an employee hearing Nintendo was gonna make an announcement and just naturally assuming it would be in a Nintendo Direct that it is a slip up of an incoming/delayed Direct.

If the king has abandoned his post in cowardice then the line of succession is clear
Now skittzo0413 is king of thread (some might say his rightful place, as founder of this kingdom) and glory be to Prince Raccoon who inherits #2

yz7PHwu.jpg

While I won't defend avatar bet deserters yuoke did make it clear that he was going to leave this thread if there was no Direct this week, and since he believes that to be the case I think he simply left the thread because of that.

Oct 25, 2017
So someone bring me up to date on what this lego stuff is about
edit: nevermind I found it
twitter.com

Nibel on Twitter

“The latest what now https://t.co/jJWc1oyopI”
What does that makes us non-first page people?
The peasants Raccoon and skittz wave their hand to on the way to the tourney?
As a page three casual I think I once saw the king from afar from my mud pit
But it could have just been a very flamboyantly dressed scarecrow

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
lmao 1069 and 420

I've already ruined mine but I hope yuoke seriously leaves it at 1069

███╗░░██╗██╗░█████╗░███████╗
████╗░██║██║██╔══██╗██╔════╝
██╔██╗██║██║██║░░╚═╝█████╗░░
██║╚████║██║██║░░██╗██╔══╝░░
██║░╚███║██║╚█████╔╝███████╗
╚═╝░░╚══╝╚═╝░╚════╝░╚══════╝

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The Game thing with the Lego text and "Latest Nintendo Direct" wasn't a typo.

It's either a misunderstanding of what classifies as a "Nintendo Direct" by the person who wrote the page, A freudian slip of them wanting a Direct so bad they put it in the text by accident, or maybe a Direct is still occurring and the teaser by Lego&Nintendo is really a teaser on something that will be shown off in the next week or two as a Nintendo Lego-Labo kit or something.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The real Miiverse feature it should steal is the tickbox that proves you have played a game when you're talking about it.

beatmeup

Dec 16, 2019
The Game thing with the Lego text and "Latest Nintendo Direct" wasn't a typo.

It's either a misunderstanding of what classifies as a "Nintendo Direct" by the person who wrote the page, A freudian slip of them wanting a Direct so bad they put it in the text by accident, or maybe a Direct is still occurring and the teaser by Lego&Nintendo is really a teaser on something that will be shown off in the next week or two as a Nintendo Lego-Labo kit or something.
I bet on it being a complete misunderstanding. Game are a dreadful video game retailer who are in terminal decline. My guess is the Lego teaser was all about Mar10 day and Game fluffed their lines.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
isn't it time for the next batch of nes and snes games? i know they said they're not gonna add them regularly but they can't be THIS irregular about it.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Reading the "Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are great but..." thread, and there's someone that said that Returns was ok, but that he didn't like anything in Tropical Freeze. That's just insane to me.
Even more crazy than the people saying "I like Mario 3D Land but dislike 3D World", how is it even possible ? It's the same base, but bigger, better, more fun, more varied, crazier, etc.
If you like 3D Land and Country Returns, I just don't understand how you could dislike Tropical Freeze and 3D World.
Regarding both games: I think that some people tend to acknowledge the first title in a series more, because it did everything from the ground up. The same goes for Galaxy 1+2. Even if the second iterations of the games are better, the 'wow'-effect when playing their predecessors (which were built from the ground up) can be more striking.

Regarding Donkey Kong:
While I prefer Tropical Freeze, I think it's definitely going the 'more of the same' route than really setting the next step for the franchise. Things like more animal buddies or an interactive world map like in DKC3 could've really set it apart from Returns. It still has the best stages Retro has ever made and many of them are way better than what they've done with Returns.
I also personally think that the game is kind of anticlimactic after world 3. There are so many masterfully crafted stages in that world, followed by a still very good beach/world, but then it's a jungle-themed island again which I didn't really like and I'm also not the biggest fan of the snowy DK island, not to mention the boring bonus stages after the credits. If they would've managed to keep the quality steady after world 3/4, it would've easily been able to become the best 2D platformer ever. But it's hard to beat Returns, which had 8 (mostly) unique worlds with a continuously high quality.
Regarding 3D Land/World:
I believe that many people thought 3D Land was Nintendo's small handheld Mario experience and they would go back to the classic 3D Mario gameplay with the Wii U. Those beautiful looking streamlined (and very easy) levels are better suited for the handheld imo, and they don't really give you that adventurous feeling from galaxy or odyssey. I also think that the perspective can be weird sometimes, when you try to make precise jumps through rings or on enemies. The 'frontal attack' with cappy in Odyssey is definitely a result of the difficulty in 3D World, where precise attacks were not that easy to coordinate. In 3D Land you have the 3DS's stereoscopic effect and even when you turned it off, the levels are smaller and there's lesser stuff to do, which makes it actually easier to focus on your way to the flagpole.
I still absolutely love Tropical Freeze and I also enjoyed 3D world a lot, but I understand than some people prefer their predecessors.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
'more of the same' route

This is something I don't like and why I mostly prefer the "first" instalments in a game. The first games usually sprawl with creativity but also sometime struggle with execution. They aren't as polished and perfect. A second game usually is way too methodical and streamlined. It feels like they're less passionate.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Do we even know is Arika would be able to do another Endless Ocean? Looking at their output for the last few years I can't imagine the studio still being the same size and people.

Regarding both games: I think that some people tend to acknowledge the first title in a series more, because it did everything from the ground up. The same goes for Galaxy 1+2. Even if the second iterations of the games are better, the 'wow'-effect when playing their predecessors (which were built from the ground up) can be more striking.

Regarding Donkey Kong:
While I prefer Tropical Freeze, I think it's definitely going the 'more of the same' route than really setting the next step for the franchise. Things like more animal buddies or an interactive world map like in DKC3 could've really set it apart from Returns. It still has the best stages Retro has ever made and many of them are way better than what they've done with Returns.
I also personally think that the game is kind of anticlimactic after world 3. There are so many masterfully crafted stages in that world, followed by a still very good beach/world, but then it's a jungle-themed island again which I didn't really like and I'm also not the biggest fan of the snowy DK island, not to mention the boring bonus stages after the credits. If they would've managed to keep the quality steady after world 3/4, it would've easily been able to become the best 2D platformer ever. But it's hard to beat Returns, which had 8 (mostly) unique worlds with a continuously high quality.
Regarding 3D Land/World:
I believe that many people thought 3D Land was Nintendo's small handheld Mario experience and they would go back to the classic 3D Mario gameplay with the Wii U. Those beautiful looking streamlined (and very easy) levels are better suited for the handheld imo, and they don't really give you that adventurous feeling from galaxy or odyssey. I also think that the perspective can be weird sometimes, when you try to make precise jumps through rings or on enemies. The 'frontal attack' with cappy in Odyssey is definitely a result of the difficulty in 3D World, where precise attacks were not that easy to coordinate. In 3D Land you have the 3DS's stereoscopic effect and even when you turned it off, the levels are smaller and there's lesser stuff to do, which makes it actually easier to focus on your way to the flagpole.
I still absolutely love Tropical Freeze and I also enjoyed 3D world a lot, but I understand than some people prefer their predecessors.

This sums up my feelings about Tropical Freeze as well. I didn't really LOVE it until a second playthrough, but the first time was "Ocean Jungle, Forest, Africa, Ocean, Jungle, Ice". While those two world had amazing gameplay ideas, from the first impression they were very disappointing, I would have prefered if they stuck more clearly with the farming village theme and we saw some people living there.
aee6b31b626738426273da973a7f6eb4.png

63f05b194d3edf9d084d9f9843e54e99.png

This Swamp also gives me strong DKC2 vibes. I'm still surprised they didn't cram a new world there for the switch port.
da80820eda7a27171e521a3d907361c8.png

Thematically, Rayman Legends did a much better ocean world as well just a couple years earlier, but it seems like TF had some nice ideas that got scrapped as well.
6bf1516b29a5ea870f1ae76925786cc8.png

RL_20000_Lums_Under_The_Missile_Attack-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.