• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

PAX East 2019 had Yoshi and DQ Builders 2 on Nintendo front and Switch gameplay debuts of Mortal Kombat 11, Hellblade and Assassin's Creed 3.

I expected similar booth at PAX East this year, AC and Xenoblade for first party demos and Doom Eternal and The Outer Worlds as third party gameplay debuts. Quite shocked to hear AC will be the only new game they'd have.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Whether we get a direct now or in a month doesn't really matter to me. Whatever happens, I'm pretty sure that there won't be much for me during those 6-ish months, as no, definitly no, I will not touch animal crossing with a 6 feet pole.
What I'm very much looking forward to is an indie direct, as those often have juicy shadow drops which would be very much appreciated by yours truly during this relative draught.

An Indie World this week would break this community.

I'd be down though if I can get a Silksong date

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The nindies direct will probably happen during the week GDC would've taken place, as it always does. Which I think is next week.

Unless they postpone it because GDC was also postponed.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I feel the same abou AC tbh. It will be a great game for sure, but it's the kind of game you expect from a new Nintendo system, and the kind of game you play casually from time to time. Traditional players want some other more focused SP experiences, AC isn't going to make the first half of 2020 amazing for everyone.
With the immense size of Animal Crossing, I think Nintendo cares very little that traditional gamers don't care. Like, I'm sure that many "traditional players" prefer something like Astral Chain to Animal Crossing but let's face it, they're not very important.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
why compare strap chain t9 animal crossing

I think it be botw and Mario odyssey to animal crossing and say the Sims

astral chains casual equivalent be modern carnival games

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The Nindies Direct was hinted by Sabi afaik
Yep

Nintendo doesn't classify Nindies as "Direct", fwiw.
Interesting, but maybe the info he got didn't specify what kind of presentation was. Of course, it could be that he thinks that a Direct will be soon as he knows some planned release that would need marketing ASAP.

With the immense size of Animal Crossing, I think Nintendo cares very little that traditional gamers don't care. Like, I'm sure that many "traditional players" prefer something like Astral Chain to Animal Crossing but let's face it, they're not very important.
It's not only about sales, is about having games for everyone. It's not that wise to base your whole strategy for 6 months in a single game that has a limited appeal (like all the games tbh). They did this with BotW back in 2016, but they presented the Switch and some games the same year.

The nindies direct will probably happen during the week GDC would've taken place, as it always does. Which I think is next week.
Which means no Direct next week if they don't change the date, or that the March Direct is indeed the Nindies presentation. A indie game could be released on April tbh, like another collaboration with a Indie studio (Hyrule Necrodancer for example).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yep

Interesting, but maybe the info he got didn't specify what kind of presentation was. Of course, it could be that he thinks that a Direct will be soon as he knows some planned release that would need marketing ASAP.

It's not only about sales, is about having games for everyone. It's not that wise to base your whole strategy for 6 months in a single game that has a limited appeal (like all the games tbh). They did this with BotW back in 2016, but they presented the Switch and some games the same year.
Yeah, but there is limited appeal of 1 million and limited appeal of 20 million.

One is more limited than another.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
If Nintendo had to rearrange their marketing because of coronavirus (which I'm not sure is true), that's 100% understandable, but I wish they would be transparent about that and say something like "as this situation develops, we are deciding our next steps for delivering news and updates." Maybe stockholders wouldn't like it? I dunno.
That is something that bothers me enormously. If things are going wrong and you dont want to plan things a lot just say it ffs

COMMUNICATION

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
An Indie World this week would break this community.

I'd be down though if I can get a Silksong date

We could get also a Cross Code shadow drop, some cool announcements and even unexpected ones like Outer Wilds (a man can dream) etc. I personally think that the ship has sailed for a general direct to interest me and whatever will be shown will feel either too little too late, or too far away for the biggest games.

An indie direct on the other hand can bring awesome games either available right now or within a few weeks in some cases.
It's an unlikely scenario, but that's what I hope will happen.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah, but there is limited appeal of 1 million and limited appeal of 20 million.

One is more limited than another.
It is, but you know, announcing a couple of "hardcore" games to be released in the near future would make a good % of the Nintendo fanbase happy now, and I suppose they can do it easily. And this hardcore base is more vocal as we can see in this thread. It's just that depending on a single game and some indies is not what Nintendo should be doing during their peak year.

Oct 25, 2017
If you'll all permit I'll just go ahead and ping every potential 'insider' on the forum for the 47th time to ask them to tell me exactly when the direct is happening
we all know that they're all on bowser's personal mailing list of nintendo secrets
im sure this time they'll just plainly give me a time and date and all this will be settled
if they dont respond ill just start tagging them on twitter hourly
hold up i'll take care of this

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah, the March dream has ended.

Didn't Nate also say today that he still expected a March Direct? Why would we take his word on the fact that it's not this week, but not on it being this month?

If we're confident that Nate's info is good—and he has a decent track record—it seems like the easiest interpretation here is that it's going to be later this month.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I´d love the next Direct (if it happens someday) started with some joke or some short message acknowledging this brutal period of silence. But... not happening.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Nate also say today that he still expected a March Direct? Why would we take his word on the fact that it's not this week, but not on it being this month?

If we're confident that Nate's info is good—and he has a decent track record—it seems like the easiest interpretation here is that it's going to be later this month.
Yes he said it's not this week, but he expects it will be this month. The only dream dead is for this week. March 26 I guess is the next logical date

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, the March dream has ended. Next week we will have a Nindie World presentation and that will be the monthly Nintendo Direct, like Smash and AC were on the previous months.

Nate still has said he expects to see a Direct this month, in an earlier post today. So the March dream isn't dead yet

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Well, idk what Nintendo's strategy is but idk how they have that much empty spaces in their release schedule with only 1 system now. At this point we can expect no games until late May other than Animal crossing and said game will be probably a remaster.... talk about disastrous schedule for a mid life cycle.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nate still has said he expects to see a Direct this month, in an earlier post today. So the March dream isn't dead yet
It could be the Nindies thing. I mean, the two past months some insiders were confident that "a Direct is happening this month", and it was true, we got both the Smash presentation and the AC Direct. This month the Nindies presentation seems likely, and that could be the leaked Direct.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Well, idk what Nintendo's strategy is but idk how they have that much empty spaces in their release schedule with only 1 system now. At this point we can expect no games until late May other than Animal crossing and said game will be probably a remaster.... talk about disastrous schedule for a mid life cycle.
It´s just mental.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020

Sorry but having 1 new game in the whole first half is extremely weak for Nintendo. All we had was ports and remake + Animal crossing. Xenoblade Chronicles HD won't make anything better. It's not a new console now, don't tell me this release schedule is weak as hell if they don't release something new until June.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't a direct when we least expect it be a day or 2 before animal crossing? It would land in the second half of the month and RIGHT before a major release. Doesn't get much more "when you least expect it" compared to that.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I´d love the next Direct (if it happens someday) started with some joke or some short message acknowledging this brutal period of silence. But... not happening.
Nintendo Direct. DD/MM/2020.

Opening sequence.

Furukawa, Takahashi and Kimishima are sitting in a well lit room, huddled around a screen. They appear to be reading a message board.
The camera zooms in to reveal they are rading this thread.
They turn around to look straight into the camera.
They burst out in laughter.
The screen fades to black, laughter still lingering in the background.

Then, nothing.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Sorry but having 1 new game in the whole first half is extremely weak for Nintendo. All we had was ports and remake + Animal crossing. Xenoblade Chronicles HD won't make anything better. It's not a new console now, don't tell me this release schedule is weak as hell if they don't release something new until June.

I mean, it's extremely weak, sure, but not exactly for Nintendo.

2018 and 2019 weren't much better, and would be arguably objectively worse if we get a June and May game (I think April is a dead month now)

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Nintendo Direct. DD/MM/2020.

Opening sequence.

Furukawa, Takahashi and Kimishima are sitting in a well lit room, huddled around a screen. They appear to be reading a message board.
The camera zooms in to reveal they are rading this thread.
They turn around to look straight into the camera.
They burst out in laughter.
The screen fades to black, laughter still lingering in the background.

Then, nothing.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.