• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting how "big" the big ames are became this huge criteria criteria
Obv sales numbers are important and business is business first and foremost

But this is era, a enthusiast forum.
For era, A quarter with like kid icarus, f zero, twewy2, 2d metroid, and a port would be considered amazing here lol. Despite the poor sales potential. WW that would be a mediocre sales quarter.

So its been kind of interesting to see so much discussion lately about mainstream sales potential to qualify and assess games, since we usually dont make that the end all be all.
In fact we do the opposite at times. I mean bayo2 won goty

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People seem to be missing the point. If we had directs in 2018 and 2018 happened to be such a "terrible" year for the switch, despite having many directs doesn't that prove that the amount of directs no matter how many or how little we get and no matter the pattern, that it doesn't necessarily correlate with the quality of output for said year, especially when we're only in march and have one of the biggest titles the switch will ever see releasing in weeks. Nintendo is clearly taking a different approach that's all, not saying everyone will be satisfied by year's end but that's always the case with every year.
Directs are where they still reveal basically almost everything of decent importance. The last direct revealed a minimal amount, and this is the longest drought we have had for directs.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
May isn't summer/fall-ish. In the september 2018 direct, they revealed lm3 AND ac, both just for 2019, and lm3 was just over a year later. AC was probably planned for maybe september or maybe december or whatever. Either way, idk why they couldn't have done something like that again.
May is pretty dang close to summer, and if it's technically before, then that's even better. They had enough to fill a direct without revealing the 2020 Q3/Q4 games, so might as well save them for the early 2020 direct.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
May is pretty dang close to summer, and if it's technically before, then that's even better. They had enough to fill a direct without revealing the 2020 Q3/Q4 games, so might as well save them for the early 2020 direct.
I mean they barely filled that direct. It was pretty barron. Either way we will know is just over 5 days if a direct is happening and it will really clear things up either way abiut how this year will be....if there is one or not.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Directs are where they still reveal basically almost everything of decent importance. The last direct revealed a minimal amount, and this is the longest drought we have had for directs.
I'm thinking it's just your personal preference, but I remember last direct being fire. Which is probably my personal opinion as well. They still talked about like 25 games though I think.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I hate to be that guy but...

(with what we know so far, of course)

Sony on the last year of PS4:

February - Dreams
March - Nioh 2, Persona 5 Royal
April - Final Fantasy 7 Remake
May - The Last of Us II, Iron Man VR
June - Ghost of Tsushima

Nintendo on the third year of a very succesful Switch:

January - Tokyo Mirage Sessions # FE Encore
February -
March - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, Animal Crossing: New Horizons

lmao dude

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to be that guy but...

(with what we know so far, of course)

Sony on the last year of PS4:

February - Dreams
March - Nioh 2, Persona 5 Royal
April - Final Fantasy 7 Remake
May - The Last of Us II, Iron Man VR
June - Ghost of Tsushima

Nintendo on the third year of a very succesful Switch:

January - Tokyo Mirage Sessions # FE Encore
February -
March - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, Animal Crossing: New Horizons

lmao dude
If it makes you feel better 3-4 of those games have been announced for years and are just barely coming out.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
They revealed one new first party game in a xb remaster, which technically already had a remaster port before.
revealing a new game isn't the only way Nintendo makes money or drums up hype, and isn't the only purpose of a direct, it's merely a fraction of it. And directs should not solely be judged by that. In the grand scheme of things, more smash DLC being announced was likely the biggest thing shown in that direct. And no offense, but in the grand scheme of things it was probably a bigger announcement than something like a new 2D metroid game would be.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
revealing a new game isn't the only way Nintendo makes money or drums up hype, and isn't the only purpose of a direct, it's merely a fraction of it. And directs should not solely be judged by that. In the grand scheme of things, more smash DLC being announced was likely the biggest thing shown in that direct. And no offense, but in the grand scheme of things it was probably a bigger announcement than something like a new 2D metroid game would be.
Why do you care so much about Nintendo's revenue folder?

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Why do you care so much about Nintendo's revenue folder?
because it indicates if the consumer base as a whole is happy and it helps you judge what a "big announcement" is objectively. I also tend to like Nintendo's big franchises that sell the best. Like smash. I jumped for joy when they announce more DLC. While it's not a new game, it's a monumental announcement that's bigger than most new game announcements.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
because it indicates if the consumer base as a whole is happy and it helps you judge what a "big announcement" is objectively. I also tend to like Nintendo's big franchises that sell the best. Like smash. I jumped for joy when they announce more DLC. While it's not a new game, it's a monumental announcement that's bigger than most new game announcements.
So...then what is your main point?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Yeah that's the other problem here. The last direct really wasn't great. It started with an old 30fps port of a game that has been losing steam in the past few years, and ended with a half remake of a Wii jrpg that's already been ported to other consoles. It wasn't 2018 terrible as some good stuff like DoS II was announced, but it certainly wasn't up to par with the other directs of 2019.
And even the indie direct of December 2019 was a slight disappointment. If the switch is to enter its peak years, it's legitimate to expect more than what we're currently receiving.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Does it make somehow less valid that the PS4 lineup for this year 2020 destroys the Switch one?
I'd much rather play AC than any of those other games you listed, combined. If you're expecting purely the biggest quantity of AAA games, then obviously Xbox and PS4 are gonna have more due to 3rd parties. That isn't the draw behind a switch whatsoever.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying it's a bit premature to say that when Nintendo regularly announced massive games less than a year before release and Sony evidentally doesn't.
This is unusual even by nintendo standards though, if they actually do have this supreme line from june-december. They announce most games with less time, but not like this.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm saying it's a bit premature to say that when Nintendo regularly announced massive games less than a year before release and Sony evidentally doesn't.
I am talking about what we know about H1 2020.

I am not talking about when these games were announced. Hell, if Metroid Prime HD Trilogy or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 (to use random examples) were announced on 2017 or prior and releasing in these upcomings months, we wouldn´t have this conversation right now.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'd much rather play AC than any of those other games you listed, combined. If you're expecting purely the biggest quantity of AAA games, then obviously Xbox and PS4 are gonna have more due to 3rd parties. That isn't the draw behind a switch whatsoever.
Those games in the list are in one way or another PS4 exclusives.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is unusual even by nintendo standards though, if they actually do have this supreme line from june-december. They announce most games with less time, but not like this.

As I said I don't disagree with that, and at this point we can probably rule out anything massive for April/May but June onwards could literally be anywhere from terribly barren to jam packed.

I am talking about what we know about H1 2020.

I am not talking about when these games were announced. Hell, if Metroid Prime HD Trilogy or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 (to use random examples) were announced on 2017 or prior and releasing in these upcomings months, we wouldn´t have this conversation right now.

Okay so then we're talking about a very small window of time that Sony has a better lineup, so it's completely meaningless.

How did Sony's lineup compare to Nintendo's last year, how will their H2 compare to Nintendo's H2 this year?

Why does it matter if Sony happens to have a better 6 months?(Actually not even that).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As I said I don't disagree with that, and at this point we can probably rule out anything massive for April/May but June onwards could literally be anywhere from terribly barren to jam packed.
Yea, that's why next Wednesday morning is the true day of reckoning. There either is a direct announced at 10am, or some shit is going down with nintendo for some reason.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Okay so then we're talking about a very small window of time that Sony has a better lineup, so it's completely meaningless.

How did Sony's lineup compare to Nintendo's last year, how will their H2 compare to Nintendo's H2 this year?

Why does it matter if Sony happens to have a better 6 months?(Actually not even that).
For me 6 months is not a small window of time at all. Also, the key of the comparison is that PS4 is getting its successor this year and Switch is supposed to be in its peak this year.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing CTR since it released June last year. Free content updates have kept me satiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.