• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Depending on the day, A Link to the Past might be my favorite game ever.

Today though, it's absolutely Mario Galaxy 2. It's astounding how good it is.

It always frustrates me when people try and denigrate Galaxy 1 and 2 cos they're not pure open world, like that's the point. They're wonderful games that answer the question "What would happen if we made Super Mario Bros 3 in 3D and set it in space?"

Oct 31, 2017

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Part of me wonders how much Switch's success caught them off guard and changed their approach to the system's online services, because it seemed as if there were clear plans for updates to the UI (the 'themes' section) and a plan for legacy content seemed to exist prior to launch. Plus, they continually updated 3DS and Wii U, but haven't made any real changes to the Switch's UI.

The other possibility is the worse one though - that it's simple ineptitude that led to to it taking 18 months from launch to NES games being available, despite the fact Nintendo were talking about legacy content at the initial reveal, and that Nintendo don't really care about improving discoverability on eShop or building up the UI a little more. The defence people always put forward is that Switch Online is cheap and the UI is quick (which I do love, after how clunky Wii U and 3DS could be), but it's both low-cost and low-effort on Nintendo's part and I don't think that's a satisfactory combination.

When that Switch reveal positioned the system as the culmination of Nintendo's hardware thus far, I thought that was a great sign for classic content on Switch. I've long since accepted we're not seeing a GameCube or Wii app on Switch, because the file sizes are simply too big. But GameBoy, GameBoy Advance and N64 should all be part of a more robust subscription service.

Yeah, that's what I mean with GC and Wii. Build on the work that brought select Wii games to Shield and offer a 'Wii Classics' and 'GameCube Classics' range on the eShop. Spread them out, for all I care - one of each a month, and put them at £15 per purchase.

And yeah, there are ways to improve the OS without overloading it. Have a separate activity log app like the 3DS did, for example.

Well, the file sizes for GC und Wii games are between a view hundred MB and 8 GB. On average smaller than most firstparty games.
If you mean for an App like SNES: group them in the app like prior, and have in app download for the games, where you check the games on the right corner of the cover. Most will download in minutes, some in 1 or 2. While it plays, download the next one. With that you keep the size in check. I mean, the Trilogy is<8GB, and Mario Galaxy 2 was 1.6GB on the Wii, 3.7 on the WiiU.
Looking it up, without a sale a fast 128 GB micro sd is 20€. On that you could have all of GCs must have without a problem. a GC disc was 1.5GB, so roughly 80 GC discs. Lets say 15 Double Disc games, we could still have 65 GC games (and many did not use the full size of the disc, like: Mario Sunshine was ~1GB.

All not reasons to not do it.

And yeah.When it was anounced, i thought: the solution i dreamed of.
A console strong enough to present nintendo style games in 1080/60 FPS, strong enough to emulate all other platforms, versatile enough to mostly compensate for different control schemes (DS-> touch, Wii -> joy cons), and on a modern platform, so the next 2-3 generations can build of of this with backwards compatibility. The dream of just having a switch, and moving my whole nintendo library to it (not all at once, but when i wanted to play something), and being set for the next 10 years, and not needing to buy 2 platforms... yeah.

What we have? A console that is weaker than i hoped (almost no native 1080, ofthen not stable 60fps), dissapointing hardware quality (my fan started to rattle right after 2 years, both joy cons have drift, the case is slightli bendt (from the begining), the case chiped on 2 spots (never droped it, used it almost exclusively at home... both, the DS lite hinge problem and the 3ds stick rubber falling off were problems i encountered after 5 years, not 2), Nintendos backlog only availabe with subscription (not what i had in mind...), no N64-Wii games, only ports for 60€. Os that is compared to the Wii U, but with how basic it is, i could argue that my mp3 player from15 years ago was as sleak and responsive...with the hardware, featureset and resolution (why 720p?) it would be a schock if it would not be fast.
The eshop, while okay at the beginning, is screaming for some updates. It loads slow when you scroll long lists(there are enough foto sites online that have way more responsive loading while scrolling, and the fotos are also with a higher resolution). The discoverability is not given. The search is basic, there is no couration and way to much junk. (i remember the start, where with every update, there were actual good games. now you get updates that are full with shovelware and bad mobile ports...).

The Wii/GC games would be a godsendt, they clearly cant fill the schedule with new releases AND ports. And it is a generation that is a)not somethign that is often covered by indies b) still "lofi" enough that it doesnt come in the way of new third party games. (or even PS3 ports).

The lack of more experimental controls is something that bugs me personally. I mean stuff like labo and RingFit. I was hoping for stuff like that...but im a bit superficial, the finish is to "causal" for my taste somehow. I aplaud them that they are doing stuff like that. But 4 games in (Arms, 1-2 Switch, Labo (series), Ringfit (and kindy Splatoon, but thats with a multiplayer focus...)) and there is still no game with an experimental control sheme that gets me exited. (Compare the Wii/U: lived the gamepad for pikmin 3 (all control schemes), skyward sword (i liked most of the controlls), no more heroes, sin & punishment, pandoras tower, zack & wicky).

And about the dream of the futur... with their current communication, the absence of nvidia mass market mobile chips (nobody is using them -> less incentive to invest), no communication how digital owned games will corelate to the next platform (with PS5 and XBox we know, that they will be backwards compatible, and as far as i know, youll just redownload them, since its tied to your account?). we dont know what to expect from them.

TL:DR : Sooo much missed potential. This could have been a platform with even more to give, and drive sales past the Wii with that, but they missed it. Still one of my if not my favorite platform, they had the chance to make as big as DS/Wii together if they had played their cards better and maybe comunicated a longterm plan (like, lets say, "our plan is for the next 2 switch iterations will be backwards compatible, and for the next 10 years you shure can take your games with you, like you take your apps on phones with you").

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
could the prinny collection have been a direct announcement?
Yeah, considering it's exclusive it makes sense. Maybe NISA decided to announce the CS III final release date instead and the Prinny game will be featured during the third party reel.

No, next week is the last viable one that makes sense. Most people here are giving up if it isn't.
Yep, considering the "2 first weeks rule", if the Direct is not during next week we will enter the "no future release dates announcements" period, which is really unsettling.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, considering it's exclusive it makes sense. Maybe NISA decided to announce the CS III final release date instead and the Prinny game will be featured during the third party reel.

Yep, considering the "2 first weeks rule", if the Direct is not during next week we will enter the "no future release dates announcements" period, which is really unsettling.
And AC out in two weeks, so no direct that week no matter what. Not the week after either. No direct the first three months of the year when the lineup was already in question just is not good.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
could the prinny collection have been a direct announcement?

They announced last week that they would be announcing two games, on 3/3 and 3/5, and the Prinny collection was the second. So I kind of doubt the Prinny collection was something from a delayed Direct, because it was part of this multi-game announcement plan of theirs.

And also an insider has said over and over again that the Direct was not delayed.

Fizzlefry9

Apr 23, 2018
The simple fact is they're not going to show off any other games until after AC releases. They don't want people getting hype for future games and potentially skipping AC.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
After my (overly long) post im here sitting and asking myself:
Where is Sin & Punishment 3, a Sin&Punishment 1 Port, and a Pandoras Tower sequel? (game was a 6-7/10, but had potential gameplay wise to be much better, with a higher budget. essentially a Zelda/ARPG mixdungeon crawler, (no overworld), but the dungeons have actual puzzles / mechanices outside of battles. Something most dungeon crawlers really lack. And motion controlls.)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And AC out in two weeks, so no direct that week no matter what. Not the week after either. No direct the first three months of the year when the lineup was already in question just is not good.
It's pretty bad, regardless of how big AC is, it's the kind of game that will sell regardless of what other games they announce, in fact is the kind of game that will appeal to lots and lots of players that don't even watch Directs.

I agree that it makes more sense to do the Direct a week before the game release than during the same week, I'm sure the reviews will come 1-2 days before the 20th and they want all the attention on them.

But yeah, strange times indeed, I hope the next Direct is next week and is a big one.

The simple fact is they're not going to show off any other games until after AC releases. They don't want people getting hype for future games and potentially skipping AC.
This doesn't seem the case at all, AC will sell regardless, and they have announced games before any other big release. What makes AC so special? Considering that is a game heavily aimed to the casual players that don't care that much about other releases, if there is a game that doesn't need to have a big focus this is AC. AC is the kind of game you play day by day, there's no real substitute for it besides some small games that have been already released.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I feel so dead inside

I just witnessed a flat earther argue bullshit for dozens upon dozens of pages across several threads at another forum. He would post giant posts of barely comprehensible bullshit with a dozen other conspiracy theories layered on top of one another and post like five videos from "authoritative" Some Morons On YouTube in every one of them. I think me mind finally tapped out when the dude claimed that subatomic particles weren't real. Perhaps it was after that.

A Direct can't save me.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel so dead inside

I just witnessed a flat earther argue bullshit for dozens upon dozens of pages across several threads at another forum. He would post giant posts of barely comprehensible bullshit with a dozen other conspiracy theories layered on top of one another and post like five videos from "authoritative" videos Some Morons On YouTube n every one of them. I think me mind finally tapped out when the dude claimed that subatomic particles weren't real. Perhaps it was after that.

A Direct can't save me.
That's why I don't go on other forums. Yea there are some weirdos here, but at least don't have to deal with that shit.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel so dead inside

I just witnessed a flat earther argue bullshit for dozens upon dozens of pages across several threads at another forum. He would post giant posts of barely comprehensible bullshit with a dozen other conspiracy theories layered on top of one another and post like five videos from "authoritative" videos Some Morons On YouTube n every one of them. I think me mind finally tapped out when the dude claimed that subatomic particles weren't real. Perhaps it was after that.

A Direct can't save me.

Some people are just lost causes.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

While I am not saying your wrong and I understand your concerns and agree with a few of them, I can't help but feel you are making it out as if Nintendo missed the ball with the Nintendo Switch when it honestly couldn't be anything but the opposite.

I also would love to have X,Y,Z but I think Nintendo will 100% feel they have done the right thing with the Switch and honestly, both software and hardware sales are backing that up. This has been nothing but a big win for Nintendo in every sense of the word.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel so dead inside

I just witnessed a flat earther argue bullshit for dozens upon dozens of pages across several threads at another forum. He would post giant posts of barely comprehensible bullshit with a dozen other conspiracy theories layered on top of one another and post like five videos from "authoritative" videos from Some Morons On YouTube in every one of them. I think me mind finally tapped out when the dude claimed that subatomic particles weren't real. Perhaps it was after that.

A Direct can't save me.
i will never comprehend how flat earther or antivaxxers or other kinda crazy people get there. like what happens to someone to be like that.

Errr... was this ever officially announced, or just leaked/rumored?

whoa! that's from the studio Google bought, right?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are some "held up for Direct" announcements. Like Journey to the Savage Planet. The game is everywhere, lots of retailer listings (including Gamefly, which basically seals the deal) and rating boards. Yet still no announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.