• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
The deja vu is real with this thread.

A month ago we were literally saying the exact same things about the second week of the month also being pretty likely if something didn't happen the first week.

What. In. The. Living. Heckins. Nintendo!?

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
The deja vu is real with this thread.

A month ago we were literally saying the exact same things about the second week of the month also being pretty likely if something didn't happen the first week.

What. In. The. Living. Heckins. Nintendo!?

They're trying to convince us to watch I Am Not Okay With This on Netflix, which you should all do.

Knight64

Dec 17, 2019
I'm really fustrated with Nintendo. Before I go on if you disagree that's totally fine this is just my opinion. Nintendo online is awful.. we haven't had a direct in ages. The smash bros DLC has been absolutely awful and where is my doom in super smash.. also animal crossing not having cloud saves is just awful. And don't get me started about the way pokemon has gone down..

ScottAustin

Jan 31, 2020
Unless Nintendo wants to make an absolutely insanely poor marketing decision, a Direct pretty much has to be before March 20th.

After Animal Crossing: New Horizons launches, there won't be a single Nintendo published Switch game with a finalized release date...

I suppose Nintendo could drop a simple tweet slating Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition for Spring or Summer to buy themselves more time... but yikes.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Not crazy, just moving beyond the jokes and being genuinely concerned about what Nintendo is up to this year.

In spite of all the "insider" reassurance about 2020, things are looking dismal as a Nintendo fan this year. I still believe things are coming, but think their marketing strategy is just awful right now.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not crazy, just moving beyond the jokes and being genuinely concerned about what Nintendo is up to this year.

In spite of all the "insider" reassurance about 2020, things are looking dismal as a Nintendo fan this year. I still believe things are coming, but think their marketing strategy is just awful right now.

Literally nothing of note announced or with a release date beyond Animal Crossing, which drops in 3 weeks. It's kind of crazy.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Literally nothing of note announced or with a release date beyond Animal Crossing, which drops in 3 weeks. It's kind of crazy.
The questions I keep asking myself is:

Am I noticing because I am more engaged with their plans or a want to know their plans more than the average consumer?

Is the average Nintendo player even vaguely aware that something seems amiss with their marketing?

I've been on gaming forums and constantly keeping tabs on Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony since I was 10. I've been at this since 1999. I don't even remember what it was like to be disengaged.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

Am I noticing because I am more engaged with their plans or a want to know their plans more than the average consumer?

Is the average Nintendo player even vaguely aware that something seems amiss with their marketing?

I've been on gaming forums and constantly keeping tabs on Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony since I was 10. I've been at this since 1999. I don't even remember what it was like to be disengaged.

I'm going to say the average person is unaware. People on forums underestimate how little the average consumer knows or cares about video games until they're actually out

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

Same here. The first game I can remember hearing about releasing in advance was Ocarina of Time when I was 10, and I asked for it for Christmas. I used to go to IGN64 al the time back in the day. Ever since then, I've been more or less pretty engaged in knowing when games are coming out, although I've taken more of an interest in the industry as a whole and more in-depth looks since the Switch came out.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I'm starting to think king Zell wasn't joking with Team E3...
We'll get a Direct before E3. Nintendo does not sleep. They know that they can wait as long as they want with the first big showcase of the year and they're constantly reducing the timeframes between announcement and release of their titles, as the Switch gets more and more successful. I strongly believe in a General Direct this week or next.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
To be fair, MHW and MHGU run on the same engine: MT framework.
True but mhgu was basically made using the lite version. but you catch my drift. Capcom really dissapointed me with all there switch games. Not bc they where bad, but more that it was basically all ps2/ early 360/ps3 ports(or based on a remastered version of that game). Dont get me wrong but if it was a combination of old ports and new stuff i wouldnt complain right now. But basically how they treated the switch the past 3 years lead me to believe that IF the switch gets its own MH game it will basically look cheap especially compared to world. Im basically expecting a mhgen2, that probably heavily uses assets from past(aka pre world) games.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
To be honest, I genuinely expected the Direct to be in February or even January for two reasons:

1. As far as I remember, there isn't a single first party game with a known release date beyond March 20th (AC). The games we know about are either TBD (Zelda, Metroid) or slated for a generic 2020 (Xenoblade).

2. It's now been 6 months since the last general Direct, E3 is only in 3 months.

Mind you, there's no hurry for me. But having so little information about any upcoming first party game feels unusual.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
I'm really fustrated with Nintendo. Before I go on if you disagree that's totally fine this is just my opinion. Nintendo online is awful.. we haven't had a direct in ages. The smash bros DLC has been absolutely awful and where is my doom in super smash.. also animal crossing not having cloud saves is just awful. And don't get me started about the way pokemon has gone down..
I agree with most of what you said here, also pretty disappointed with switch era Nintendo as a whole. But the smash dlc was amazing aside from byleth

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

I was thinking the same thing, only really been on forums the past few years but I read gaming magazines religiously when I was young. I cant think of a time when I didn't know about a game coming out (I was interested in) at least 6 months beforehand.
The average Nintendo consumer would be the younger/casual gamer so they wouldn't necessarily have that pathological hunger for news.
Then again the madness isn't contained on forums alone; YouTube and social media get their fair share. I'd say we make a lot of noise but comparatively there aren't many of us.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI you guys, I may have jury duty this week in which case I will not be able to update the OP or poll should anything interesting happen.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Currently playing through the Bayonetta game, just beat the first one (credit says it was the Wii U version I played ;P, I guess they forgot to change that part). Gonna jump in on number 2 next week - I do this as a favor to everyone because if I beat Bayo 2 before the next direct We're gonna see Bayo 3 displayed in it.

True story

Just wanna tell everyone that I beat Bayonetta 2 in one sitting today, so Bayonetta 3 info in the next direct is 100% going down.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
I cannot wait for the September/October direct.
At this rate, I think it's not outlandish to believe that's the date of the next direct if game shows start to get cancelled.

However I believe we will get a direct before.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
I still don't understand how anybody thinks the next direct won't be until e3. Nintendo won't go *3 months* not just without any games coming out, but without any games even dated

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I still don't understand how anybody thinks the next direct won't be until e3. Nintendo won't go *3 months* not just without any games coming out, but without any games even dated
this. People think that Nintendo stopped producing games for some reason. At the time when they're probably having more projects for Switch than ever.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'm setting my expectations for E3 direct now.
get

"I've set my laser expectations from stun February to kill E3."

Status
Not open for further replies.