• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Is next week the only week in March?

That reminds me of the time when Emily was teasing the Pokémon event where the Pokémon Let's go Pikachu/Eevee games were announced back in 2018 and told us that they are going to be announced in May. Not even half way through the month people were claiming that Emily is full of shit because we were almost at mid-May and nothing was announced yet. Turned out the games were announced on May 30 and all the people claiming Emily was lying looked like fools.

I will never understand why people come up with arbitrary time frames and we are supposed to take them as gospel. If it's not happening in March it can happen in April. If it's not happening in April it can happen in May. There is no rule that prevents Directs from happening once we reach a certain time period.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I will never understand why people come up with arbitrary time frames and we are supposed to take them as gospel. If it's not happening in March it can happen in April. If it's not happening in April it can happen in May. There is no rule that prevents Directs from happening once we reach a certain time period.
This make 0 sense comparing these, this is not few Pokemon projects, this Direct will be about whole Spring-Summer lineup and no they will not announce it in April or May.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This make 0 sense comparing these, this is not few Pokemon projects, this Direct will be about whole Spring-Summer lineup and no they will not announce it in April or May.

Of course they can hold a Direct in April. It would be kind of late but they could still announce a game for May or June in an April Direct. And I mentioned the Pokémon event in 2018 to demonstrate how impatient people are and how dumb the whole arbitrary rule set is. There is no fan created time frame that prevents a Direct from happening, period. If a Direct is not announced next week it doesn't mean there won't be a Direct before E3.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That reminds me of the time when Emily was teasing the Pokémon event where the Pokémon Let's go Pikachu/Eevee games were announced back in 2018 and told us that they are going to be announced in May. Not even half way through the month people were claiming that Emily is full of shit because we were almost at mid-May and nothing was announced yet. Turned out the games were announced on May 30 and all the people claiming Emily was lying looked like fools.

Its not even about fan expectations. Its about shareholders and others wanting to know what the hell will be published later this year. You cant leave those people in the dark for half a year or more. You think telling them "well we will release barely anything in Q2 and wont tell you whats up in the holidays either :)" is something that will fly?
These folks dont care about short hype cycles, they want to know in advance whats up for their investments sake.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Its not even about fan expectations. Its about shareholders and others wanting to know what the hell will be published later this year. You cant leave those people in the dark for half a year or more. You think telling them "well we will release barely anything in Q2 and wont tell you whats up in the holidays either :)" is something that will fly?
These folks dont care about short hype cycles, they want to know in advance whats up for their investments sake.

That and there's very likely going to be many major 3rd parties waiting on a Direct to announce or show off their new Switch games. Directs aren't just 'The Nintendo Show' anymore so the later a Direct comes in the more 3rd party games will be forced to show their games in a way that has much less impact.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Currently playing through the Bayonetta game, just beat the first one (credit says it was the Wii U version I played ;P, I guess they forgot to change that part). Gonna jump in on number 2 next week - I do this as a favor to everyone because if I beat Bayo 2 before the next direct We're gonna see Bayo 3 displayed in it.

True story

Seems pretty arbitrary, but what do I know.

That's because it is. But Era setting the rules for directs has been a thing for some time now :P

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
era is this but with directs

electoral_precedent_2x.png

LokiGS

Jan 28, 2020

I understand what you're saying. You're saying Zippo's two directs in February prediction is going to be proved right today, the last day of the month.

So excited, direct confirmed.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Feeling Extra Beautiful

I'm in my 30's

I like to use commas, like, a lot

I think the post was about me, guys.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, this is clearly an ARG. We must slow down the Earth or spin it up enough so that they'd need to add two leap days to calendar permanently, thus FEB 30.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

I am aware of all that and personally I think the Direct will happen either in March or in April before the shareholder meeting for the Fiscal Year end.

I understand what you're saying. You're saying Zippo's two directs in February prediction is going to be proved right today, the last day of the month.

So excited, direct confirmed.

That is correct.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I am at the point where....I kind of DON'T want a nintendo direct until E3. Could you imagine that whopper of a conference that would be?

Twitter direct Xenoblade release date in may and maybe a Wii-U port reveal/release date for April. Maybe a new smash character for April as well. Good enough for me.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I think I am at the point where....I kind of DON'T want a nintendo direct until E3. Could you imagine that whopper of a conference that would be?

Twitter direct Xenoblade release date in may and maybe a Wii-U port reveal/release date for April. Maybe a new smash character for April as well. Good enough for me.

It would be nice to highlight games coming out before E3 for those of us who have no interest in Animal Crossing. I need some hype for something.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

If they wait till E3 that would mean that there won't be a new game until at least August

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018

I can agree with you, but we really need to know the games that are releasing between april and june.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they wait till E3 that would mean that there won't be a new game until at least August

No big game, Sure. Something like Mario Golf can be revealed/released within a month or two.

This feels like a weird Stockholm syndrome moment

lol
<_<

I can agree with you, but we really need to know the games that are releasing between april and june.

Twitter mini direct

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just guilty of watching some live reactions to directs. I kinda want one now.

My third final bet (after January then February :P) will be on the 12th of March.

Next week is Pokemon week, so the week after that and the week prior to Animal Crossing seems like a good match.

Make that at least August. Unless we really want a twitter direct.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Is it feasible to have a new Mario debut this spring in a Direct, and have it release this holiday season? I forget how long Odyssey had from reveal to release.
Somehow, this all feels more plausible to me than Zelda BOTW 2 being released this holiday. I feel like it'll take ages for some reason.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Is it feasible to have a new Mario debut this spring in a Direct, and have it release this holiday season? I forget how long Odyssey had from reveal to release.
Somehow, this all feels more plausible to me than Zelda BOTW 2 being released this holiday. I feel like it'll take ages for some reason.
I would love to get new 3D Mario but 3D World port is coming this year so i really doubt it, but new 3D Mario would almost certainly be ready for this holiday (3+ years of dev time since Odyssey was finished well before and just waited for holiday season).

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey was January > October. They technically showed it in the Switch reveal, but official announcement was in Jan.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Switch holiday releases

SMO - > Revealed in January -> Released in October
XC2 -> Revealed in January -> Released in December

Super Mario Part -> Revealed in June -> Released in October
Pokemon Let's Go -> Revealed in May -> Released in November
Super Smash Bros -> Revealed in March -> Released in December

Luigis Mansion 3 -> Revealed September (18) -> Released in October
Pokemon Sword & Shield -> Revealed in February-> Released in November

So yes, it would be totally feasible :P If it's a thing I dont know, but it wouldnt surprise me if we did not know the 2020 holiday games yet.

Last edited:

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Switch holiday releases

SMO - > Revealed in January -> Released in October
XC2 -> Revealed in January -> Released in December

Super Mario Part -> Revealed in June -> Released in October
Pokemon Let's Go -> Revealed in May -> Released in November
Super Smash Bros -> Revealed in March -> Released in December

Luigis Mansion 3 -> Revealed September (18) -> Released in October
Pokemon Sword & Shield -> Revealed in May -> Released in November

So yes, it would be totally feasible :P If it's a thing I dont know, but it wouldnt surprise me if we did not know the 2020 holiday games yet.
Great info, would you happen to have the announced vs release dates of all 1st party switch games? If you are so kind of compiling it, it will be great to see the longest and the shortest notices. As well as to see what we may expect to be released and when, for example, if we can still get an April release.

We need to consider that after next week, there will only be 1 dated game coming up. Has that ever happened before??

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Great info, would you happen to have the announced vs release dates of all 1st party switch games? If you are so kind of compiling it, it will be great to see the longest and the shortest notices. As well as to see what we may expect to be released and when, for example, if we can still get an April release.

We need to consider that after next week, there will only be 1 dated game coming up. Has that ever happened before??

I do have, but in graphical form in an excel sheet :P

I could compile it in numbers as well, but dont have the time right now sadly :S

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The wickest thing of all of this is that we will probably never know why Nintendo is so silent during these times.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

It makes no sense marketing with just revealing everything all at once coming the next 6 months.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
tfw you can't even make a joke without people over analyzing it. Zell must be laughing like a mad man when reading this thread (or crying when he sees the madness).

Status
Not open for further replies.