• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the reasons I listed, Involve Reaction to foreign situations that change day to day. (Sony/Microsoft talking about Next gen, Coronivirus updates, etc.)
Sure, they require reaction. A plan itself isn't built on a reaction though, they 100% guaranteed have a set plan for themselves that they adjust accordingly. To say that Nintendo doesn't know what Nintendo is gonna do is, again, crazy talk.

Like yeah, Corona has influences (production mostly so far), saving big hitters for E3 is a guarantee (although at least some would definitely be teased before like Smash), General Directs are very much still a thing and there's 0 reason to assume otherwise.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
You'd think Nintendo would be sure to announce some games in the next month simply because their financial year is coming to an end. At the end of April they'll be giving out their sales estimates for the next year and will need a better software slate than they currently have so that they can indicate to their investors how they'll meet their next set of sales goals. They've already ruled out a hardware revision, so they need to have some clear signs of how they'll maintain Switch's momentum.
An investors meeting with a completely blank slate for the future would be a nightmare but also pretty funny

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I don't understand why people here think Sony/MS putting out new consoles has any effect on Nintendo. They're really not going after the same market.

people have trouble understanding that..and also understanding that it's a digital show produced months ago about games you can download...made in countries where working is (still) not restricted because of CoV.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people here think Sony/MS putting out new consoles has any effect on Nintendo. They're really not going after the same market.

They are competing for Video gamer attention and wallets. Even retail space and Marketing opportunities. You think BOTW2 wont be impacted sales wise if it releases alongside PS5?

Sure, they require reaction. A plan itself isn't built on a reaction though, they 100% guaranteed have a set plan for themselves that they adjust accordingly. To say that Nintendo doesn't know what Nintendo is gonna do is, again, crazy talk.

Like yeah, Corona has influences (production mostly so far), saving big hitters for E3 is a guarantee (although at least some would definitely be teased before like Smash), General Directs are very much still a thing and there's 0 reason to assume otherwise.

I would hope you are right. I just said I had a feeling they didn't know whats what. Like a "I got a bad feeling about this". Also Nintendo consistently defies expectations. I don't see why anything is off the table at this point.

people have trouble understanding that..and also understanding that it's a digital show produced months ago about games you can download...made in countries where working is (still) not restricted because of CoV.

People also have trouble understanding that Gamer budgets aren't infinite and because of that, decisions have to be made on what to get in a particular month. Hence: competition for wallet space.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, thinking the coronavirus could have affected plans at least has some logical basis. Maybe there are games whose release dates were going to be revealed in a Direct but now the developers can no longer be sure about those dates. So they'd have to be re-edited or even removed from the Direct. That's not exactly gonna delay the Direct by itself but if that or something similar happens to a number of games Nintendo might decide to reevaluate their announcement strategy.

I don't think this has happened, but it makes more sense than vague "Sony/MS talking about next gen" reasoning.

They are competing for Video gamer attention and wallets. Even retail space and Marketing opportunities. You think BOTW2 wont be impacted sales wise if it releases alongside PS5?

No, I really don't think it would be.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Does anybody remember this thing they had called....The Nintendo's Direct? People talk about it. It was some video thing where people who worked for Nintendo would talk about video games. Apparently sometimes they'd even announce NEW games, to the surprise and delight of many. They'd be like a festival, and people would anticipate the next one right immediately after one ended. They even say there was a ritual at the end of many Nintendo's Direct, where a character would be sacrificed to something called "Super Smashing Brothers". It was a major event apparently, something to be truly worshipped, but it often left a lot of people very angry. Conflicts apparently broke out, and I wonder if one of these wars was what ended the era of Nintendo's Directs.

Man, I wish I was alive in this age. Would have been something truly special.

New games that aren't Animal Crossing? Sounds too ridiculous to be true if you ask me.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope you are right. I just said I had a feeling they didn't know whats what. Like a "I got a bad feeling about this". Also Nintendo consistently defies expectations. I don't see why anything is off the table at this point.
That's such a non-argument though. 'Consistently defies expectations', what does that even mean? Why are you feeling anything, simply because of a lack of announcements outside of Q1 games? They are producing games, all their teams are making games, those games have targets for release and Nintendo markets them accordingly (inb4 hurrdurr they don't because no general direct).

Literally the only things different this year compared to last year is that we know very little about the release schedule post-March and that the Direct is later than normal, both presumably because their biggest game of the year is launching in 3 weeks.

There is nothing indicating a Direct is not happening, Nintendo has no clue what they're doing or that things have changed because X or Y. It's pure and simple fearmongering out of impatience.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Again, the major difference between this year so far and 2018/2019 is that they have a heavy hitting tentpole title releasing in Q1.

That is the main factor causing their marketing strategy to be different from past years.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019

The new consoles will most definitely have some impact on Nintendo. Consumers have a finite amount of money and will decide where to spend it.

Conversation share is also a factor and Nintendo does not want to lose the momentum they've built over the past three years in this respect.

However, Nintendo will benefit from a presumably slow burn start to the next gen given that most publishers (and the console makers themselves) will be focusing on cross-gen for the first couple years.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The new consoles will most definitely have some impact on Nintendo. Consumers have a finite amount of money and will decide where to spend it.

Conversation share is also a factor and Nintendo does not want to lose the momentum they've built over the past three years in this respect.

However, Nintendo will benefit from a presumably slow burn start to the next gen given that most publishers (and the console makers themselves) will be focusing on cross-gen for the first couple years.

I honestly disagree with your first two points. The video game business is not a zero sum game, that has been proven true many times. Consumers do have a finite amount of money, yes, but that is not ever an issue during a console launch when supply is greatly limited.

And the conversation aspect isn't really an issue either considering how massive the outcry is for a Direct currently, even when XBSX specs just got announced and everyone's waiting on the PS5 reveal.

Nintendo's handhelds have always coexisted extremely well with the consoles from Sony and MS and that isn't going to change this year. Or next.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's such a non-argument though. 'Consistently defies expectations', what does that even mean? Why are you feeling anything, simply because of a lack of announcements outside of Q1 games? They are producing games, all their teams are making games, those games have targets for release and Nintendo markets them accordingly (inb4 hurrdurr they don't because no general direct).

Literally the only things different this year compared to last year is that we know very little about the release schedule post-March and that the Direct is later than normal, both presumably because their biggest game of the year is launching in 3 weeks.

There is nothing indicating a Direct is not happening, Nintendo has no clue what they're doing or that things have changed because X or Y. It's pure and simple fearmongering out of impatience.

I am saying Nintendo does whatever they feel like and patterns are consistently broken with them. Non argument? Sure. That is because I made no statement saying any one thing was absolutely going to happen.

No, I really don't think it would be.

You really have to explain why you think that. I just mentioned budgets on gamers and having limited money to spend in a month. What argument supports your opinion?

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Expensive NG consoles wont affect the Switch much, might even boost sales if they turn off the soccer mums with their high price.

Regular priced NG consoles however would have an impact on Switch, especially the holiday season.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You really have to explain why you think that. I just mentioned budgets on gamers and having limited money to spend in a month. What argument supports your opinion?

The data. When has a console launch from a competitor ever affected any of Nintendo's software launches? Especially on their handhelds? They target different primary markets.

There is no reason to assume this is going to change.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I honestly disagree with your first two points. The video game business is not a zero sum game, that has been proven true many times. Consumers do have a finite amount of money, yes, but that is not ever an issue during a console launch when supply is greatly limited.

And the conversation aspect isn't really an issue either considering how massive the outcry is for a Direct currently, even when XBSX specs just got announced and everyone's waiting on the PS5 reveal.

Nintendo's handhelds have always coexisted extremely well with the consoles from Sony and MS and that isn't going to change this year. Or next.

I'm not arguing that Nintendo will suffer from the launch of the new consoles and I'm not fear-mongering. Personally I am not worried one bit and my gaming habits skew 95% toward playing on the Switch over my PS4.

I am saying that there is always an impact. Nintendo can say that they are not concerned and that their audience is different. However, their audience is "gamers" just like Sony & Microsoft. Gamers will be looking at the next gen just as they will be looking at the Switch output.

This doesn't seem like a controversial thought. My sole point is that Nintendo may not be worried but they are certainly paying attention and adjusting their strategy as we move forward.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Isn't the next investors briefing at the end of April? If so an April Direct must be considered a serious possibility.

Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo really is in a world of their own doing their Animal Crossing thing. "Huh, what's that you wanted to know about other games? But why? We keep telling you to buy Animal Crossing..."

Hopefully the broken silence in March will make the wait worth it. I'd rather have a lack of info and big things coming instead of more info and no huge announcements.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not arguing that Nintendo will suffer from the launch of the new consoles and I'm not fear-mongering. Personally I am not worried one bit and my gaming habits skew 95% toward playing on the Switch over my PS4.

I am saying that there is always an impact. Nintendo can say that they are not concerned and that their audience is different. However, their audience is "gamers" just like Sony & Microsoft. Gamers will be looking at the next gen just as they will be looking at the Switch output.

This doesn't seem like a controversial thought. My sole point is that Nintendo may not be worried but they are certainly paying attention and adjusting their strategy as we move forward.

I mean, yeah they're probably paying attention but I don't see them adjusting their strategy. Unless Sony or MS have some sort of mobile/tablet device in the works, it doesn't really affect Nintendo's strategy.

Honestly they're much more likely to delay games or move around release dates based on what other games they themselves are putting out than the launch dates of new consoles.

Jan 16, 2020
Somehow I get the feeling not even Nintendo knows what Nintendo is gonna do.

Coronavirus? Perhaps.
New console year shifting strategy? Likely.
General Directs being phased out? Can't rule it out.
Saving Bullets for E3? Plausible.

I agree with this list. 2020 wasn't going to be a normal year anyway, but there are so many variables outside of the control of any of these companies (Sony, MS and Ninty). I do disagree though that they don't have a plan. I'm sure there are people at headquarters who are playing out scenario after scenario. Really, it's all they can do at this point

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Jan 16, 2020
I mean, yeah they're probably paying attention but I don't see them adjusting their strategy. Unless Sony or MS have some sort of mobile/tablet device in the works, it doesn't really affect Nintendo's strategy.

Honestly they're much more likely to delay games or move around release dates based on what other games they themselves are putting out than the launch dates of new consoles.

I don't really think Nintendo needs to do anything differently - they've already disrupted the market enough. (52M+ units sold should be evidence enough.) With the flop of the WiiU, last gen was really a two console gen. I view the Switch as a preemptive and first gen into the hybrid market that is truly mobile. I think if there's anyone who should be worried, it's PlayStation -it's one thing to be on top, it's something entirely different to STAY on top it's much more difficult to stay there. I think Nintendo is exactly where they should be.

Cheesehead302

Jun 7, 2019
Lol, Nintendo Directs are like a double edged sword in the community; on one hand, they're awesome because well they're Nintendo Directs. But on the other, when people can't wait for them, they chock it up to Nintendo having no games. This is the longest wait we've had for one (even if personally it doesn't really feel like), but when I see someone that gives up and assumes they have nothing in the near future to release, I've been thinking revently: what if Microsoft was the company we stanned? They don't even get Directs; the only guarenteed time for new info is E3 and other than that you have to hope for random announcements. Even sony didn't adopt the presentation strategy until a year or so ago, and for the most part, other companies just do their own thing and drop random tid bits of news throughout the year before and after E3. So idk basically the moral of the story is if you're feeling super down about not having a Direct, at least Directs are actually a thing that exist to begin with.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Lol, Nintendo Directs are like a double edged sword in the community; on one hand, they're awesome because well they're Nintendo Directs. But on the other, when people can't wait for them, they chock it up to Nintendo having no games. This is the longest wait we've had for one (even if personally it doesn't really feel like), but when I see someone that gives up and assumes they have nothing in the near future to release, I've been thinking revently: what if Microsoft was the company we stanned? They don't even get Directs; the only guarenteed time for new info is E3 and other than that you have to hope for random announcements. Even sony didn't adopt the presentation strategy until a year or so ago, and for the most part, other companies just do their own thing and drop random tid bits of news throughout the year before and after E3. So idk basically the moral of the story is if you're feeling super down about not having a Direct, at least Directs are actually a thing that exist to begin with.

You also have a ton of giant third party games on Xbox, so we wouldn't really be waiting as long.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Folks, Directs are planned weeks or months in advance. The only way the coronavirus could cause a delay would be if a number of featured games had support teams in China and came back to Nintendo to say "Woah, don't air that please, we no longer know if that release date is correct."
It's way past the point of China being a cause... Japan are already closing schools.

It may not impact a pending Direct entirely, but it is very likely Nintendo have dates that are under threat.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
It's way past the point of China being a cause... Japan are already closing schools.

It may not impact a pending Direct entirely, but it is very likely Nintendo have dates that are under threat.

Sure, moving forward I could see business decisions for later in the year being affected by this. I don't, however, think that it's the reason there hasn't been a Direct yet this year - the timing on the next Direct would have been decided quite some time ago.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, moving forward I could see business decisions for later in the year being affected by this. I don't, however, think that it's the reason there hasn't been a Direct yet this year - the timing on the next Direct would have been decided quite some time ago.

I think his point is that while the timing would indeed have been decided months ago, the actual content may have changed due to delays caused by the virus.

I agree with you that I don't think this has delayed the direct, simply because if it did we would be seeing third parties announce some of the games that would have been announced in the direct. But it could still wind up affecting some of the announcements in the direct when it does finally air.

Aug 12, 2019
I also feel like people have a tendency to interpret events exclusively in their own vision of Nintendo, and not the overall marketing that Nintendo has. Nintendo has dropped lots of non-Direct information across the past couple of months such as the Super Mario Maker 2 update, Cindered Shadows DLC for Three Houses, Metro Redux, and other third party titles; had several big titles/announcements at TGAs with MUA3 X-Men DLC, No More Heroes III, and Bravely Default 2's announcement; had a full Pokemon Direct that announced the return of Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon's first proper DLC expansions in the series; a Smash focused presentation that unveiled and detailed a new fighter alongside announcing a full second pass; and an Animal Crossing Direct that covered a ton of information.

All that put together is collectively as much as any Direct we would have to be honest, we just haven't had a "big, new and exciting first party AAA title reveal" since September.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I also feel like people have a tendency to interpret events exclusively in their own vision of Nintendo, and not the overall marketing that Nintendo has. Nintendo has dropped lots of non-Direct information across the past couple of months such as the Super Mario Maker 2 update, Cindered Shadows DLC for Three Houses, Metro Redux, and other third party titles; had several big titles/announcements at TGAs with MUA3 X-Men DLC, No More Heroes III, and Bravely Default 2's announcement; had a full Pokemon Direct that announced the return of Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon's first proper DLC expansions in the series; a Smash focused presentation that unveiled and detailed a new fighter alongside announcing a full second pass; and an Animal Crossing Direct that covered a ton of information.

All that put together is collectively as much as any Direct we would have to be honest, we just haven't had a "big, new and exciting first party AAA title reveal" since September.

That was cool and all ... but I want to know what games are they releasing till july because that is when my voucher expires xD
And nintendo has previously announced games that they released like a month after so nintendo can still announce and release a bazillion of games from now till july =/

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
Well, March is almost here. Maybe we'll get a normal and an indie direct this coming month. Bring on the games!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sony also shows their cards early for most games also, and all the big new 3rd party games they get. Since march of last year, they announced botw2(no release window), xb remaster, bravely default 2, and mystery dungeon dx. We know basically nothing aftet aninal crossing outside xenoblade and even that isn't known when.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

More like since e3. Botw2 was the last one, and might not be until next year.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if they revealed one bigger game coming summer/fall-ish at the September direct, things would seem a little less dicey.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
it feels like they did, Xenoblade DE seems to be it, but they must announce a release date to calm people down
I mean that doesn't help as much. It still is just a remaster and likely coming in may probably. Look at the September 2018 direct. Luigi's mansion 3 and AC. If they just opened the direct with something, it would have been better.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
At this point I think Nintendo just dont bother to release a promotional video (Direct) for fans, when the system is selling like crazy.

JakeDF2

Feb 15, 2020
Guys, GUYS, hear me out.

It's March 3rd, 2020. Nintendo tweets: "Today marks the 3rd anniversary of the Nintendo Switch, but YOU get the birthday gift! Tune in this Thursday, March 5th, for a Nintendo Direct focusing on 2020 games yaddayaddayadda"

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish they would tell us "Hey, there's a Nintendo Direct coming up in March!", even without tell us a specific date.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are just overthinking this.

it might just be that Nintendo is moving to a 3 directs a year format, with March, June and September for consistency. And game specific directs whenever it suits the game.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are just overthinking this.

it might just be that Nintendo is moving to a 3 directs a year format, with March, June and September for consistency. And game specific directs whenever it suits the game.

They didn't do a March Direct last year though. February June and September are spaced out better, that's probably going to wind up being their ideal pattern.

The reason it's different this year from 2018 and 2019 is because they have a mega release in March, which they haven't had since 2017.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
They aren't promo videos, they reveal games. Unelss you are implying they have no more games coming out to reveal.
I dont know if they have many or few games coming, but revealing each of them separately trough tweets or specific videos would not damage their marketing. They just dont have to air a Direct to please fans, because they have a way wider audience, an audience that will probably know of those new games due to the diffusion of them in the media rather than trough a format like a Direct.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I have officially transcended disappointment and time, the direct will happen when it will happen.

which is tomorrow FOR SURE GUYS!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know if they have many or few games coming, but revealing each of them separately trough tweets or specific videos would not damage their marketing. They just dont have to air a Direct to please fans, because they have a way wider audience, an audience that will probably know of those new games due to the diffusion of them in the media rather than trough a format like a Direct.
They aren't.....revealing games through twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.