• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I didn't say they have to show till December, just show us something new, we know about AC since 2018? I think?
Everything new will likely be releasing between late April-December, so they dont need to show it yet. And yeah we've known about AC for a while now, it's still a new game releasing before late April.

SunnyDays

Aug 28, 2019
[Waiting for a direct Day 2,737,500,001,472]

"Nintendo has to have a Direct this week. There's no way they'd not have a Direct before the sun engulfs the Earth!"

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Everything new will likely be releasing between late April-December, so they dont need to show it yet. And yeah we've known about AC for a while now, it's still a new game releasing before late April.

If you say so...could really be that Nintendo is focusing on AC...Il have to life with that fact, but I still don't care about Animal Crossing🤷🏻‍♂️

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Still curious about Emily statement about a rpg heavy H1
and the more recent H1 ending on "somewhat" of a notable game.

will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
xeno would make sense for either statement.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The February dream isn't dead yet. I'm on team Saturday direct
source.gif

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
It will be disappointing for some no matter what they will show. People will find something that they will not like or will be disappointed because sone certain game will not be shown. 🤷🏻‍♂️
When I say dissapointing I mean something like the last direct we got, where the only new first party announcement was a remaster with no date. I'm definitely partially dissapointed because I don't particularly like the original xenoblade, but even if it was one of my favorites like Mario Galaxy I'd still be drastically let down if the only announcement was an undated galaxy remaster. It would mean a q1 carried by one game and basically nothing q2 and q3

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Well, hopefully we get that General Direct soon. Or else the Nintendo fanbase online is gonna feel like this again.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry guys, once they get Animal Crossing out of the way I'm sure they'll please all of you who aren't into it by announcing Animal Crossing: Old Horizons (coming Holiday 2020).

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
lol...they aren't gonna announce their entire 2020 lineup in the first general direct of the year.
1) they very well could. E3 2017 didn't announce any new 2017 games, E3 2019 didn't for 2019 either
2) even if they don't, bad direct essentially means bad q2 and q3. Definitely won't somehow be a direct between it and e3 and nothing announced at E3 is coming out before September

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Confirmed: Animal Crossing: NH is the only game Nintendo has for 2020.

2020 is a fine yr. Let March begin. AC is their final major release of the current FY.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017

Huh, I hadn't heard that second part before. Paper Mario could possibly fit that description! I shouldn't let myself dream

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Kinda surprised Nate's so adamant that we're not getting a General direct this month.
Wonder what's driven him to think Nintendo would do that to us.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised Nate's so adamant that we're not getting a General direct this month.
Wonder what's driven him to think Nintendo would do that to us.

You mean in the next 3 days? I don't find that very surprising.

March on the other hand is when he guesses (guesses, not predicts) a Direct will probably be.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
You mean in the next 3 days? I don't find that very surprising.

March on the other hand is when he guesses (guesses, not predicts) a Direct will probably be.
I just don't know why he'd think Nintendo would be so stubborn to have us wait that long.
based on Plum's calculations, it's been the longest period between general directs, so I'm kinda wondering why.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I guess early-mid March makes more sense then late march when AC is actually on sale, esp if they have a little 2 min reminder at the end that AC is almost out, and a little release trailer with a couple of new tidbits.

Or just mention offhand that its almost out lol. Either one.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't know why he'd think Nintendo would be so stubborn to have us wait that long.
based on Plum's calculations, it's been the longest period between general directs, so I'm kinda wondering why.

?

Because it's currently Thursday morning in Japan and no Direct has been announced, and it's the final three days of the month. It should not be surprising at this point to believe we won't see a February Direct.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Confirmed: Animal Crossing: NH is the only game Nintendo has for 2020.

2020 is a fine yr. Let March begin. AC is their final major release of the current FY.
Eh. Even if Nintendo were to start pumping major titles at a good pace starting in March or April, having one big title for the quarter kind of sucks. I expect it from PS4 and Xbox One because those consoles are on their way out, Nintendo should have had this Q1 to themselves and still punted.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I guess early-mid March makes more sense then late march when AC is actually on sale, esp if they have a little 2 min reminder at the end that AC is almost out, and a little release trailer with a couple of new tidbits.

Or just mention offhand that its almost out lol. Either one.
Basically, the reason a Direct has to happen by March 12th is that that's essentially the last day Nintendo would be able to unveil an April game (even if it's a port like Pikmin 3) and still have time to market it properly. It also makes a lot more sense (IMO) to have a Direct early March to allow sufficient spacing before E3, as having no Direct for 6 months only to have two in two months would be... weird.

Now, they don't need a Direct at all yet if A) There is no April game or B) They just announce the game on twitter or something, but I think that's unlikely.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
1) they very well could. E3 2017 didn't announce any new 2017 games, E3 2019 didn't for 2019 either
2) even if they don't, bad direct essentially means bad q2 and q3. Definitely won't somehow be a direct between it and e3 and nothing announced at E3 is coming out before September
1. No they wont'
2. Both of the years you listed they announced new games after E3 so no...
3. Nintendo will not show their full hand early with new systems coming out

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if having TMS. XCDE and Trials of Mana would make H1 "RPG heavy" by her standards. Not sure I feel that way, but I guess it's because I wasn't personally interested in TMS. If Bravely Default II hits in H1 I'll 100% agree tho

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Q1 is a pretty hard write off for me. I think Animal Crossing is dope and definitely a big hitter, but it's not a title I intend to pick up right away and I'm disappointed there hasn't been much of anything else (I'd rather chew glass than play TMS). Maybe Nintendo intended for Jan/Feb to be supplemented with third party ports, but it just hasn't panned out like they expected.

Obviously I'm not writing off the year, it's just disappointing.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
1. No they wont'
Genuinely can't remember any Nintendo games that released in 2017 announced after e3 2017, and 2019 just had ring fit adventure and I guess the stretchers. Hardly big releases, probably just not announced in a direct because they're targeting a different audience

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Even if Nintendo were to start pumping major titles at a good pace starting in March or April, having one big title for the quarter kind of sucks. I expect it from PS4 and Xbox One because those consoles are on their way out, Nintendo should have had this Q1 to themselves and still punted.

At this point that should be expected though, Nintendo having a packet lackluster Q1. And honestly this is the first year since 2017 that they even have what would qualify as a "big" title for this quarter.

Obviously that doesn't mean it's not disappointing but it's also not unexpected or out of character.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
1. No they wont'

Last year we knew about LA Remake, LM3, AC (delayed) and Pokémon before E3. They were last year's biggest titles.
In 2018, Smash and Pokémon were announced before E3, in the first proper direct.
In 2017, Odyssey and XC2 were known before E3.
Normally it's not smart to have high expectations for Directs, but this time we need some really good stuff like in the years before.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah. I miss Weird Mid-Budget Game Nintendo, with all the stuff like F-Zero and Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk and Ever Oasis and Fossil Fighters and so on. We're getting a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon re-imagining, which is fiiiiine, but I would really like to see some new games that aren't ports in between the "big game" they release at the end of each quarter.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's not going to put out big games when the vast majority of their consumers are already burned out after Christmas. It'd be a waste.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo's not going to put out big games when the vast majority of their consumers are already burned out after Christmas. It'd be a waste.
I don't think that's the reason, but even if it were, like no other company operates like that.

Hell, Nintendo once released Fire Emblem Warriors like a week before Mario Odyssey, so not even Nintendo operates like that.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Zzz... yeah Switch has had a bad year for me so far, nothing I've been interested in buying. It is comparable to last year though. I think the first major game I bought last year was Fire Emblem which wasn't until July.

I don't know if it's Nintendo's strategy to avoid launching in the first few months of the year, or if the games simply aren't ready yet. Whatever the case, it's unfortunate that it worked out this way.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the reason, but even if it were, like no other company operates like that.

Hell, Nintendo once released Fire Emblem Warriors like a week before Mario Odyssey, so not even Nintendo operates like that.
Well Nintendo has been on record saying they make the most money during the holidays so I guess to them it makes more sense to release games during a more lucrative period than what's widely considered a dead zone. When was their last big release in January or February?

Status
Not open for further replies.