• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Hey WBGames, this year's the 90th anniversary of Looney Tunes, give us a remaster of Bugs Lost in Time

I'm gonna keep asking about until it happens

Oh and there's the new ones airing on HBO Max, emulate that style and we're golden

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
You're getting a jrpg where you save the world with the power of jpop and the remake of a DS spin off from the game series you already passed on few months ago. Please be entertained. Otherwise, you're just an entitled negative person concern trolling over Nintendo's output.

My main problem for these 6-ish months is that none of the Indies appeal to me this time. I'm not really counting on Nintendo anymore. Last year had things like Ape Out to keep me entertained at least.

This is the longest period I've been bored with my switch unfortunately.
I'm not concerned by their output per se, I think it's predominantly bad timing. Pokemon followed by Animal Crossing in the AAA releases is always going to leave a portion of people underwhelmed - not the majority though, so I'll just have to get over it.

I think adding the suspicion that they are sitting on some Wii U ports also adds frustration.

Itll be a good year, just expecting a very busy H2 instead of a more even spread.

Good point on the indies - if we had a Celeste or Golf Story in Q1 it would have made a difference for sure.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
For me when there's not stuff coming out for a while on Switch that I'm interested in I just..... don't play my switch. And that's not a bad thing. When the games I want come out, I'm playing them and getting my money's worth out of the system (quite honestly I already have)

I don't relate to this need to constantly have something to play on my Switch. It's one of the more mind boggling complaints on NintendoERA to me. Wanting to know what's on the horizon? Yeah, I get that and it's annoying we haven't had a direct. But I don't care about a Q1 drought when I know I still have Bayo 3, MP4 and BotW 2 at LEAST that will easily crank out another couple hundred hours from the system. Good games will come, doesn't really matter when to me.

Idk, a few months without touching it or buying a game for it isn't a sign of Nintendo's failure to me, and I feel like to some of you it is. No backlog or other systems?

JakeDF2

Feb 15, 2020
For me when there's not stuff coming out for a while on Switch that I'm interested in I just..... don't play my switch. And that's not a bad thing. When the games I want come out, I'm playing them and getting my money's worth out of the system (quite honestly I already have)

I don't relate to this need to constantly have something to play on my Switch. It's one of the more mind boggling complaints on NintendoERA to me. Wanting to know what's on the horizon? Yeah, I get that and it's annoying we haven't had a direct. But I don't care about a Q1 drought when I know I still have Bayo 3, MP4 and BotW 2 at LEAST that will easily crank out another couple hundred hours from the system. Good games will come, doesn't really matter when to me.

Idk, a few months without touching it or buying a game for it isn't a sign of Nintendo's failure to me, and I feel like to some of you it is. No backlog or other systems?
Nintendo could have no new games until 2021 and I still wouldn't be able to clear my backlog lol

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

Yea, this is fair.

It differs for everyone as people play/enjoy different games, so the period of nothing varies in length considerably.

There cant be too many that didn't go for either Pokemon or Aninal Crossing, but for anyone that did skip them / is skipping them, then this period is quite dry.

Combined with the unknown, through no General Direct yet, and its clearly a source of frustration.

Agreed that Switch has already delivered value for money for me too.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Well, that's what most of us do, no? Not playing games when there's nothing.

But this is the Nintendo topic on a video game forum, so people talk just about that. I don't think that it would be relevant to the subject to mention how much I suck at learning harmonica or at placing simple longboard tricks (both activities which occupied my weekend).

Doing other things doesn't mean that I'm happy to currently be bored with my switch (and I do not have a backlog; I finish what I buy).

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm going through Ori right now.

Next up I'm thinking about going in on Witcher, but I know I'm likely to get neck deep in that for a long while.

Would anyone recommend starting Alien: Isolation, AI: Somnium Files or Valkyrie Chronicles 4 first?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I've been trying Starlink, got it cheap.

The dog fighting in space is really quite fun - it's just a shame the game consists of the exact same activities and enemies on an endless loop, with hardly any variation. But I seem to be most of the way through the campaign already and have no intention of 100%ing it, so it's still fairly enjoyable. Especially for less than £10.

Gonna make sure I do the Star Fox missions, too. It's a good use of that license.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Maybe Nintendo has "spoiled" us with the way they have been releasing information during the last years and that's the main problem.

I don't mind at all having a few months with no Nintendo games tbh (or Nintendo games that I want to play), I have lots of Ps4/Steam or even Switch games that I have yet to finish or that I want to replay. And of course, there's lots of other activities besides gaming that I do during my free time.

This year we will surely have some amazing Nintendo games, and Ps4 (FF VII, TLOU II) or PC (Cyberpunk 2077) owners will enjoy some potentially amazing games, but for some reason only Nintendo games really make me feel hyped, and as Nintendo has been IMO doing an amazing job with the Switch, I'm really interested on what they will do with a BotW sequel or a XC DE remake, and the lack of info during months and months is what I dislike.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Demos allow people on the fence to find reasons to not buy the game. I think they hurt more than they help.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Nintendo has "spoiled" us with the way they have been releasing information during the last years and that's the main problem.
They have definitely created the most insufferable social media fan base (maybe cept KPop); I don't follow any other gaming companies on Twitter, but it is always a shitshow in Nintendo posts because of Directs.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the DQ11 demo have a negative effect? I thought it convinced many people to buy
it was really long, so some people who had not finished it probably didn't bother getting the game. and as Zalman said people on the fence may find reasons not to get the game.
of course that's a good thing that people get to try the game before making a decision but from a sales perspective i can see why most publishers don't bother with demos.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA

I don't mind at all having a few months with no Nintendo games tbh (or Nintendo games that I want to play), I have lots of Ps4/Steam or even Switch games that I have yet to finish or that I want to replay. And of course, there's lots of other activities besides gaming that I do during my free time.

This year we will surely have some amazing Nintendo games, and Ps4 (FF VII, TLOU II) or PC (Cyberpunk 2077) owners will enjoy some potentially amazing games, but for some reason only Nintendo games really make me feel hyped, and as Nintendo has been IMO doing an amazing job with the Switch, I'm really interested on what they will do with a BotW sequel or a XC DE remake, and the lack of info during months and months is what I dislike.
IMO it has to do with how unpredictable Nintendo is. Sony has been announcing games 2-3 years in advance, and Microsoft's investments into new first party studios is just getting to the point it will bear fruit. Meanwhile Nintendo can announce an unexpected title out of nowhere. Ring Fit had a few months between announcement and release and it's selling out. Astral Chain had like 8 months.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we will see times where the first half of the year is as exciting as the second half. I game a lot more in the winter months and february is the coldest month where I live yet it's always filled with C tier releases. I'm buying older stuff so I don't mind much but it's also fun to engage in the community when a new game releases and everyone is playing it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
IMO it has to do with how unpredictable Nintendo is. Sony has been announcing games 2-3 years in advance, and Microsoft's investments into new first party studios is just getting to the point it will bear fruit. Meanwhile Nintendo can announce an unexpected title out of nowhere. Ring Fit had a few months between announcement and release and it's selling out. Astral Chain had like 8 months.
That's true, we know 100% that Sony or MS are not going to announce a big game like Astral Chain or LA remake only 6-7 months before release, and that's what makes Directs so good. I'm quite fed up with the long "hype cycles", and that's the main reason I'm not even that interested in Cyberpunk or TLOU II at this moment, the games had my attention for a few months but waiting for that long makes me "forgot" them. Of course I'll play the games at launch, but in my case it's not a marketing strategy I enjoy, and Nintendo was guilty of this during 2017, we are still waiting for info about Bayo 3 for example.

But the same way we can get an explosive direct like February 2019 with so many new trailers and reveals that suddenly make the year look amazing for the system, they can be "silent" during 6 months, relying heavily on a single release or making small announcements here and there, so the main problem with their strategy is this lack of consistency, and that the Nintendo fanbase relies too much on playing mostly Nintendo games.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Would anyone recommend starting Alien: Isolation, AI: Somnium Files or Valkyrie Chronicles 4 first?
Never played Alien but it's a beloved game so it must be really good. The other 2 are quite long, I enjoyed VC4 more because I love SRPGs, but both are really good games. If you're in the mood for a "reading" game with no stressful gameplay situations play AI, it has a good and unconventional story and a lot of charm, if you want to be engaged in a complex strategy game play VC4.

JakeDF2

Feb 15, 2020
Demos allow people on the fence to find reasons to not buy the game. I think they hurt more than they help.
To me it's often the opposite. Gave the Fire Emblem series a chance because of the FE Awakening demo... Wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I have since bought 4 FE games, as well as two spin-offs (Warriors and TMS) and a few more on Virtual Console

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
That's true, we know 100% that Sony or MS are not going to announce a big game like Astral Chain or LA remake only 6-7 months before release, and that's what makes Directs so good. I'm quite fed up with the long "hype cycles", and that's the main reason I'm not even that interested in Cyberpunk or TLOU II at this moment, the games had my attention for a few months but waiting for that long makes me "forgot" them. Of course I'll play the games at launch, but in my case it's not a marketing strategy I enjoy, and Nintendo was guilty of this during 2017, we are still waiting for info about Bayo 3 for example.

But the same way we can get an explosive direct like February 2019 with so many new trailers and reveals that suddenly make the year look amazing for the system, they can be "silent" during 6 months, relying heavily on a single release or making small announcements here and there, so the main problem with their strategy is this lack of consistency, and that the Nintendo fanbase relies too much on playing mostly Nintendo games.
Yeah, even Smash Bros and Mario Odyssey had less than a year between reveal and release. They're some of the top selling SKUs on any platform this generation, and they're still selling.

To top it off Nintendo games get hype like absolutely no others. It's insane how much hype they can build in such a short period time.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Yep I agree. You just need to check out any Era thread about a demo and you will find people nitpicking the demo apart. I think Mat Piscatella also mentioned that game demos rarely have a positive effect on sales.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
I've seen a lot of complaints about the dry spell that the switch is currently on and, well, it's true but also... if you can afford it, maybe try some cheaper, indie games currently on the platform. Smaller titles that you may have heard are good but might not be your style. You might be surprised, and it's always cool to support smaller devs.

That or do what I'm going to do, just buy Jedi Knight 2 AGAIN and finish it like I'm 12 years old

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
The last time a demo actually made me get a game was Command & Conquer back in 1995 :P

I would probably have bought the game anyway because I really wanted it, but there was a meaty demo released with PC magazine and I specifically asked my mother for that magazine just because of that. I played that demo at least 10 times.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Did the DQ11 demo have a negative effect? I thought it convinced many people to buy
I bought the game on Steam, but if I had the option to play the first 10 hours in a demo with the option to carry over the progression to the full game I wouldn't, as I didn't enjoy the first hours (or the full game tbh) that much. I feel that most players that are really interested in a game will buy it even if no demo is available (which is the case for most games), while people that is slightly interesting in a game can have a negative reaction to a demo or feel that "they have played enough" as it was the case with the long DQ XI demo.

But TBH DQ seems a lost cause in the west, Nintendo is doing what SE should and even so the sales are not that great, but that's a problem related to relying heavily in nostalgia (that western players and specially European players don't have) instead of doing a good JRPG IMO.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I've just started the Trails in the Sky trilogy, a Direct could come in 2 months and I'll be ok.
Seems the thread has slowed down a bit, too.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The demo thread for DQ11 was extremely positive and pretty much brought the hype a month in advance. I'm not sure it had any negative effect on the sales.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The last time a demo actually made me get a game was Command & Conquer back in 1995 :P

I would probably have bought the game anyway because I really wanted it, but there was a meaty demo released with PC magazine and I specifically asked my mother for that magazine just because of that. I played that demo at least 10 times.
Back in the day Demos were way bigger because we had no extensive coverage or media like we have today. Buying a game magazine with a demo disc was an experience, as there was a big chance the games covered were not known to us and the demos were sometimes our first touch with some specific game. I feel that today you can watch some previews or impressions and get a good idea of how a game will be.

I've just started the Trails in the Sky trilogy, a Direct could come in 2 months and I'll be ok.
Seems the thread has slowed down a bit, too.
Out of curiosity, it's your first contact with the series or are you playing them after CS I or CS II?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Back in the day Demos were way bigger because we had no extensive coverage or media like we have today. Buying a game magazine with a demo disc was an experience, as there was a big chance the games covered were not known to us and the demos were sometimes our first touch with some specific game. I feel that today you can watch some previews or impressions and get a good idea of how a game will be.

Out of curiosity, it's your first contact with the series or are you playing them after CS I or CS II?

For sure, the demo discs from PC Gamer and whatever magazine you preferd were definately the monthly high light.

I still try some demos from time to time.. but as games are often more complex than whatever is highlighted in a demo they rarely make the game justice. In my opinion ofc.. so I kinda agree that prevewis and impressions are often more accurate for me personally.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018

I've heard about the series for a long time, but I've finally decided to start from the beginning, I'm about at the end of the first chapter and it's simply beautiful, I'm in love.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The demo thread for DQ11 was extremely positive and pretty much brought the hype a month in advance. I'm not sure it had any negative effect on the sales.
That's because people expected to not like it. That's when you release a demo nowadays, you want people who would not consider buying it check the demo out and get hooked, and/or you want network testing. You would ideally want people who want to buy your game already to not download the demo and get enough of the whole thing to consider skipping it, but, well, you can't do one but not the other.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

There was still a lot of nitpicking about the graphics and we don't know how many people that were positive about the game actually bought the game. Like I said Mat Piscatella specifically mentioned DQ11 when he talked about demos not having a positive effect on sales. I think it's like zalman said people who are already sold on the game will buy it regardless and people on the fence are more likely to search for faults so they don't have to buy it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I've heard about the series for a long time, but I've finally decided to start from the beginning, I'm about at the end of the first chapter and it's simply beautiful, I'm in love.
Amazing. IMO SC and The Third are better games (I don't kow if by first chapter you mean FC or the 1st chapter of FC), as the games are less "slow", but FC by itself is an amazing game. I started with CS I on PC, which even if it's more "modern anime" compared to the Sky games and that's something some players or even myself don't enjoy that much, is an amazing game filled with world building and good characters.

I feel that the Kiseki games are more enjoyable the more you play new entries, which is kind of the opposite of what most JRPG series do, as you will have a better understanding of Zemuria and you'll be catching hundreds of references, see how really old plotlines continue or reunite with beloved characters again.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
Or the trails trilogy could come in a direct and I'd be ok.

If it did come, I'd buy them all again in a heartbeat.

Amazing. IMO SC and The Third are better games (I don't kow if by first chapter you mean FC or the 1st chapter of FC), as the games are less "slow", but FC by itself is an amazing game. I started with CS I on PC, which even if it's more "modern anime" compared to the Sky games and that's something some players or even myself don't enjoy that much, is an amazing game filled with world building and good characters.

I feel that the Kiseki games are more enjoyable the more you play new entries, which is kind of the opposite of what most JRPG series do, as you will have a better understanding of Zemuria and you'll be catching hundreds of references, see how really old plotlines continue or reunite with beloved characters again.

First chapter of FC, so still at the very beginning :)
I'd heard great stuff about the story and worldbuilding and I have to say it's living up to the hype so far, can't wait to get through all of them. I've obviously already preordered the third game of the Cold Steel series on Switch, these kind of devs deserve all the support.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Okey. I won´t personally buy it then :)

I used to think I wouldn´t live enough to see people stating that a demo "hurts a videogame more than helps to sell it".

Well, there you go. What a take, man.
It really isn't that outrageous a take. Demos are good for allowing people to try before they buy (and I'd personally much prefer them to exist) but it's widely recognised that while they may entice some people in, they generally hinder sales overall

kotaku.com

Demos Are Great For Gamers, Not-So-Great For Game Sales

Giving players a chance to try before they buy is a noble gesture, but it may not be a wise. According to research presented by game designer Jesse Schell at the Gamelab conference in Barcelona today, a demo can cut into a game's sales by more than 50 percent, CVG reports.

Feb 19, 2020
I'd love a direct this week but since I just got a huge Animal Crossing Direct I won't challenge the lords above. You do your thing, Miyamoto!

Deleted member 63139

Banned
Jan 17, 2020

no one is spoiling you, everything is done so that they earn all the money they can. Keep in mind a direct is not a gift to you it's an advertisement for them and a very good one since it's well done usually.

Haven't been here past few days, anything new ?

Status
Not open for further replies.