• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Hoping for a Direct next week
Let me see Pikmin 3, MPT and Paper Mario *crosses fingers*...oh and most importantly Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
MM is a good guy, but he wouldn't know of any Direct.
Welp
tenor.gif

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
MM is a good guy, but he wouldn't know of any Direct.

He claimed to have heard from someone that two were planned for February, like Zippo had also heard. Not that he knew of the date of one.

EDIT: Actually he said a few people he trusts had said that. He said he expects that this plan had changed though.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
why is Nintendo advertising Sonic Generations for their Sonic sale????

Made me think Generations was getting a Switch port

I want them to. I'm not really into sonic, but generations always looked the best to me and I wanted to try it, but didn't want the watered down 3ds one and didn't have my ps3 when it came out.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm taking a break but I wanted to pop in and say that Animal Crossing looks amazing and they executed the transitional elements in the new setting flawlessly. I'm absolutely smitten with it. Its music, which I recognized early on as a highlight, continues to surprise and delight me, and graphically the game is exceptional. I still don't think that my doubts were entirely unreasonable, but I let their significance get overblown in the dearth of information. I am overwhelmed by how perfectly on-point everything about the game is.

I also really don't want people to think I disappeared in a fit of Animal Crossing-related baby-rage, that isn't it at all

Finally, I was about to publicly demand to see your take on the Direct.

No kidding

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
He claimed to have heard from someone that two were planned for February, like Zippo had also heard. Not that he knew of the date of one.
And, again, he's a good guy but I wouldn't use his post here as proof of two Direct. If you want to use anyone, then use Chris' tweet.

Otherwise, I'd suggest to not expect a second Direct this month.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
And, again, he's a good guy but I wouldn't use his post here as proof of two Direct. If you want to use anyone, then use Chris' tweet.

Otherwise, I'd suggest to not expect a second Direct this month.

Fair enough!

Yeah to me the only things saying a Direct next week is Chris' tweet and Nintendo not announcing their PAX lineup yet.

Which isn't terribly much.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I am taking exception to the idea of using associations to bolster an argument. No one at KFG told Mistermegative anything about a Direct, so Zippo shouldn't imply anything of the sort.
Oh got it. I think he meant that part separately though and just saying that he was friends with them, not about that being a source.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They may just not have much beyond AC and Pokemon to show in terms of their own software.

Then why wouldn't they say that? The longer they put it off the worse it will harm PAX attendance.

Maybe they're waiting on the green light from a third party like Bethesda to announce whether or not Doom Eternal will be playable? Or something like that?

NewGuy

Nov 23, 2017
pax starts on the 27th right?

so hypothetically if a direct is announced would it be done on 25th and then air on the mourning of the 27th?

would it be possible to have a morning direct to then highlight said games at pax directly after?

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I mean, yes & no. Announce a lineup of AC/PkMD too soon and people complain. Keep it closer to the week of PAX and fewer complaints.

Conversely, announce nothing and people start to speculate only to be disappointed when its AC & PkMD (expecially when PkMD already has a demo on the e-shop).

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are turning PAX East into some important goal post. Nintendo has made announcements that happened to coincide around the time of PAX East but it hasn't been a big focal point for announcements like E3 is. So I don't know why people are making it to be a big deal now. Nintendo has been willing to show up to big shows with just announced or even released games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
pax starts on the 27th right?

so hypothetically if a direct is announced would it be done on 25th and then air on the mourning of the 27th?

would it be possible to have a morning direct to then highlight said games at pax directly after?
That seems super unlikely because pax is setup going in and someone is bound to see something early.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if we don't have a direct next week, in addition to PAX we should have a big platinum announcement

hopefully whatever it is is exciting and coming to Switch

Bayo 3 post direct deep dive

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Then why wouldn't they say that? The longer they put it off the worse it will harm PAX attendance.

Maybe they're waiting on the green light from a third party like Bethesda to announce whether or not Doom Eternal will be playable? Or something like that?
They would know what stations are going to be in their booth at this point since they need signage and such printed and made.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I expected this year to be a massive hype train. Instead it feels like a tiny engine trying to haul a long line of cars up a hill.

So ready for the ride down!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
While I'd like a Direct next week, PAX east is where a lot of absolutely badass indies will get shown off, a lot of which will be coming to Switch.

So I'll have things to look forward to either way.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There ALWAYS seems to be leaks of new stuff that premieres physically at a convention, if new stuff was going to be ready at PAX, I feel like we'd have heard about it by now.

NewGuy

Nov 23, 2017
That seems super unlikely because pax is setup going in and someone is bound to see something early.

in that case considering if there was a second direct this week, perhaps their holding off to drive hype? when in reality their direct games won't be at the booth, either way. Announcing their line up as bare would probably trigger a bunch of youtube personalities saying how "Nintendo not working on anything" or something like that, they might be keen on avoiding that even if their games aren't at the event.
I know it's tin hat, but it's working if all their social media outlets are anything to go by.

While I'd like a Direct next week, PAX east is where a lot of absolutely badass indies will get shown off, a lot of which will be coming to Switch.

So I'll have things to look forward to either way.

Pretty much where I am at this point: a lot of indies I'm interested in have already promoted updates for their stuff next week, so it's already a win even if no direct airs.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I expected this year to be a massive hype train. Instead it feels like a tiny engine trying to haul a long line of cars up a hill.
I still trust that Nintendo will have a good 2020 and a decent H1, but they have been doing an awful job at hyping the Switch for the last months:

-The longest time between General Directs, at least from the Switch era
-A Smash reveal that was disappoiting for lots of players (I loved it though)
-Pokemon Direct that only announced DLC and a remake
-As good as AC Direct was, they could easily announce the new elements during a general Direct in 10 minutes or so

People is expecting news, the last September Direct wasn't that big and this silence doesn't help Nintendo at all. I wonder why they decided to pace the announcements this way, AC is the kind of game that will sell regardless of other announcements so it's quite surprising their approach.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Right, good point.

Yeah so I have no idea why they're (seemingly) cutting the reveal of their demo lineup to 3 days or fewer.

I mean assuming they were demoing Animal Crossing, it's possible they wanted to wait a bit until after the blowout yesterday so nothing was spoiled. That plus Mystery Dungeon would have them covered if we're going by their first party from last year right?

My question is what third party games would they be showing off? Is there anything notable that was announced that they might highlight? I'd have said Outer Worlds would be there but after the delay I don't know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.