• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
As I said, there was no Direct planned last week. The virus didn't cause any such delay for a Direct for last week or prior to that.

Could the virus impact future plans? Absolutely. We saw it with The Outer Worlds.
Do you think first-party publishing could be impacted by the virus, at least in the immediate future?

Such as games that were planned for H1 this year.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Here's a Would You Rather, for the sake of keeping this thread going.

Would you rather have....
  1. Nintendo now drops a trailer for a first party game on the first and third Thursday of every month. The game trailer shown will not be announced ahead of time, so you never know what it will be. It could be an announced first party game, an unannounced first party game, DLC for an existing game, or an e-shop game. But Nintendo Directs will cease to exist, including E3, and Nintendo no longer shows up at TGA, PAX, or any sort of gaming convention. Treehouse segments now take place once every three months, showing only games that we already know about.
  2. We keep going on our current trajectory, with Nintendo Directs every few months or so and various trailers and gameplay shown at conferences like E3 and TGA.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Could the virus impact future plans? Absolutely. We saw it with The Outer Worlds.
Yep, that's exactly my point.
It made sense to label absolute conspiracy the links between Directs and coronavirus when you made that tweet. But, as the days go by and the virus situation is getting worst, we can't exclude some kinds of correlation.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Do you think first-party publishing could be impacted by the virus, at least in the immediate future?

Such as games that were planned for H1 this year.
Can't dismiss the possibility at this point in time.

Yep, that's exactly my point.
It made sense to label absolute conspiracy the links between Directs and coronavirus when you made that tweet. But, as the days go by and the virus situation is getting worst, we can't exclude some kinds of correlation.

Right. My tweet was for that point in time. Not now or future days/weeks. As time progresses and the gap between the September Direct expands, perhaps folks can look at the very real impacts the virus is having and put their personal need/want for a Direct to the side.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Engaging in off-site drama
I love the smell of clout-chasers roasting in the morning

I'm thrilled this era of worshipping the almighty "insider" is finally going down in flames and we can stop feeding them their precious attention

Hey aren't you the guy that thought Dark Cloud was an insider

4389adfb6c8e9665f33014a72e621088.png

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

1. Nintendo now drops a trailer for a first party game on the first and third Thursday of the month. The game trailer shown will not be announced ahead of time, so you never know what it will be. It could be an announced first party game, an unannounced first party game, DLC for an existing game, or an e-shop game. But Nintendo Directs will cease to exist, including E3, and Nintendo no longer shows up at TGA, PAX, or any sort of gaming convention. Treehouse segments now take place once every three months, showing only games that we already know about.
  2. We keep going on our current trajectory, with Nintendo Directs every few months or so and various trailers and gameplay shown at conferences like E3 and TGA.
As someone who is not really affected by the "down" sections of this thread, I would say 2.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

1. Nintendo now drops a trailer for a first party game on the first and third Thursday of the month. The game trailer shown will not be announced ahead of time, so you never know what it will be. It could be an announced first party game, an unannounced first party game, DLC for an existing game, or an e-shop game. But Nintendo Directs will cease to exist, including E3, and Nintendo no longer shows up at TGA, PAX, or any sort of gaming convention. Treehouse segments now take place once every three months, showing only games that we already know about.

#2 and it isn't even close.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

1. Nintendo now drops a trailer for a first party game on the first and third Thursday of every month. The game trailer shown will not be announced ahead of time, so you never know what it will be. It could be an announced first party game, an unannounced first party game, DLC for an existing game, or an e-shop game. But Nintendo Directs will cease to exist, including E3, and Nintendo no longer shows up at TGA, PAX, or any sort of gaming convention. Treehouse segments now take place once every three months, showing only games that we already know about.

Shitty direct schedule is still better than the alternative.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Honestly you and your doom&gloom stuff need to chill lol. Whenever someone mentions zippo you're first up to say something snide. What do you get out of that?
I'm just replying to a question about someone's track record, that's not doom&gloom.
Did you expect to say "he got stuff right" when that's not the case? He hasn't got anything wrong either, I'm just giving details for someone asking that isn't following the dozens of pages being done every day.
Makes sense. But at the same time, Intelligent Systems has to be working on something (and I don't think it's just Paper Mario), and the same for NDCube
True, but it's more a global strategy issue. Nintendo isn't going to release 2 party games next to each other.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Can't dismiss the possibility at this point in time.

Right. My tweet was for that point in time. Not now or future days/weeks. As time progresses and the gap between the September Direct expands, perhaps folks can look at the very real impacts the virus is having and put their personal need/want for a Direct to the side.
I mean I live in one of the few states that has not one, but two confirmed cases, so I know exactly what's going on.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Nintendo Directs are so much more hype than random announcements because it's multiple announcements chained together and there's the fun lead up to when it goes live. I also love watching it live and seeing live reactions. So definitely 2.

It's also fun loading up ERA after and see it went down from everyone else doing the same. That camaraderie , yo.

JakeDF2

Feb 15, 2020
A couple dozen pages ago in this thread people were discussing the possibility of a Splatoon spin-off. A lot of people speculated an action, platforming, or RPG spin-off of Splatoon.

I think a Splatoon spin-off is very likely (no more content updates for Splatoon 2 for almost a year now, extremely popular game in Japan, Splatoon 3 probably still a while away). But my guess is a rhythm spin-off game. Splatoon has so many in-universe bands and its soundtracks spans a lot of different genres of music. There are some real bangers. Just makes sense!

Indieszero, the company that made the Theatrhythm games for 3DS, worked on Sushi Striker and no word about its next project. My speculation is Indieszero's next project is this.

Mar 23, 2018
I can't believe Shigeru Miyamoto himself was banned from Era for a week. He's gonna make a new Star Fox game now, isn't he. Oh no.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
But not something like delaying Animal Crossing again after all this time?

That's not gonna happen, right?

Animal Crossing should have gone gold by now. I'd suspect no delay will happen.

I mean I live in one of the few states that has not one, but two confirmed cases, so I know exactly what's going on.
My state is bordering a state that has a confirmed case and I'll be in Mass next week for PAX. So it's a situation I'm certainly watching.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yeah, if Animal Crossing was getting delayed, you'd have heard about it by now.
Especially after announcing bundles with the game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
no urine for either of us

hey dark cloud's not an insider btw

edit: not directed at you obviously

Dark Cloud is an insider in our hearts. But not our minds.

A couple dozen pages ago in this thread people were discussing the possibility of a Splatoon spin-off. A lot of people speculated an action, platforming, or RPG spin-off of Splatoon.

I think a Splatoon spin-off is very likely (no more content updates for Splatoon 2 for almost a year now, extremely popular game in Japan, Splatoon 3 probably still a while away). But my guess is a rhythm spin-off game. Splatoon has so many in-universe bands and its soundtracks spans a lot of different genres of music. There are some real bangers. Just makes sense!

Indieszero, the company that made the Theatrhythm games for 3DS, worked on Sushi Striker and no word about its next project. My speculation is Indieszero's next project is this.

The only hint we have is the "SOS: Save our Salmons" tweet. That feels more like it has some sort of adventure element, since it feels like you'll be either saving or fighting salmonids.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
The ignore function is a great tool.
I use it extensively, the unfortunate part is that insiders for some reason never use it.

It is always the same trajectory - initially they say they don't mind naysayers, then they say they are above it, then they argue a little with some naysayers, then they get deeply offended (they don't say it, you just see it in their posts), and sooner rather than later they are gone from Era or no longer provide any information whatsoever.

It happens exactly the same, each and every time, and they NEVER use the ignore function. Go figure. :-(

And to those who would say good riddance (whom I won't see since they are probably already in my ignore list :-)), I am not talking just about "leakers", I am talking about any people with some inside information that share a little of that information or just insights, including industry people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.