• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Could Nintendo be not wanting to push marketing hard right now due to the Coronavirus? Due to the supply drying up in Japan soon?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This gap could result in the greatest direct ever if you think about it. It's almost March and we are still in the dark. Not revealing much about the next year plus making us wait creates hype. I think everything will end up fine.
That's what's going to happen no matter what some might say or try to quell expectations. The hype will be through the roof more than any Nintendo direct ever I believe.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This gap could result in the greatest direct ever if you think about it. It's almost March and we are still in the dark. Not revealing much about the next year plus making us wait creates hype. I think everything will end up fine.
Or people will start to think like this, expect "the greatest Direct ever" and will be disappointed when it's just a 'regular' Direct with some great games and cool announcements, but nothing major they hyped themselves up for. We're in dangerous territory right now, haha.

Could Nintendo be not wanting to push marketing hard right now due to the Coronavirus? Due to the supply drying up in Japan soon?
Could be, but that wouldn't really have an impact on games. Especially digital games. I could see that being a reason for a new color Joy Cons or a themed Switch (like the AC one that got delayed in Asian markets). Luckily this isn't the case according to Zippo (see a few posts above).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No? What are they going to do wait to who knows when? The corona virus is getting worse in China and Japan. Who knows how it will take to die down. It could take months, half a year to a year. Nintendo can't delay over corona virus.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Nintendo knows animal Crossing doesn't need constant news or info to sell big. Once the previews hits and maybe a direct, they hit the right notes with everyone.

that Animal Crossing Switch Tweet alone made a big splash.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
I feel like Nintendo knows animal Crossing doesn't need constant news or info to sell big. Once the previews hits and maybe a direct, they hit the right notes with everyone.

They should have announced the game 2 days before release, why spend money marketing it in big shows then?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility; Prior Infraction for Hostility

Do you always have an excuse for everything Nintendo does? It's like you always come up with something to justify everything Nintendo does.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Who knows if Nintendo is sending all kinds of weird mixed messages to keep throwing people off (insiders to catch sources).

Yeah. My totally nonsense conspiracy theory is now that they hate people knowing and leaking their plans so much that they'll move their direct dates just to spite people and send mixed messages to throw people off. They love surprising people. Maybe, just maybe, they love it so much that they'll pull some ninja spy shit like that lol.

(I don't actually think that's the case but it's funny to think about.)

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Or greatest E3 if they focus next direct on just April - July/August. Or both...
But I was thinking the same.
Last year February direct was kind of wild so it might get even better who knows.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah. My totally nonsense conspiracy theory is now that they hate people knowing and leaking their plans so much that they'll move their direct dates just to spite people and send mixed messages to throw people off. They love surprising people. Maybe, just maybe, they love it so much that they'll pull some ninja spy shit like that lol.

Makes me wonder if that 4chan thing that 'leaked' a while back is true, about how only 7 people or so within Nintendo know about the contents of a Direct until the day before or something.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Just so they aren't bothered with questions.

A lot of insiders don't know what's going on with Nintendo right now. Not going to elaborate further than that.
So the scenarios are
A) Nintendo being more cautious with the info they share inside and very few people know about the next direct (which I think that info is leaked no matter what)
B) Nintendo is taking actions against people who is leaking (which I don't think insiders/leakers care)
C) Nintendo has nothing to show at this point

I'm going with letter C

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They should have announced the game 2 days before release, why spend money marketing it in big shows then?
I know this is a smart ass reply when I was just thinking out loud and thought it was an interesting thing to discuss.

but companies annouce games super early sometimes to drive interest in console sells. That infamous Wii U direct is a great example

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Could be, but that wouldn't really have an impact on games. Especially digital games. I could see that being a reason for a new color Joy Cons or a themed Switch (like the AC one that got delayed in Asian markets). Luckily this isn't the case according to Zippo (see a few posts above).
Directs help in gaining consumer interest and boost hardware sales, Nintendo might want to avoid increasing japanese demand even more for a product that has production issues and is running extremely low on stock, and wait for the situation to get better.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lol funny some dude on twitter keeps saying the more Nintendo sees us wanting a direct the more they push it back. The more people know the more Nintendo changes.

it's just kind of funny to hear

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
So the scenarios are
A) Nintendo being more cautious with the info they share inside and very few people know about the next direct (which I think that info is leaked no matter what)
B) Nintendo is taking actions against people who is leaking (which I don't think insiders/leakers care)

I'm going with letter C

A) Possible
B) Already known
C) No

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the scenarios are

I'm going with letter C
C isn't an option lol.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Makes me wonder if that 4chan thing that 'leaked' a while back is true, about how only 7 people or so within Nintendo know about the contents of a Direct until the day before or something.

Maybe that could work for a direct, but obviously not for the games themselves since that involves hundreds.

If you already know the games they're working on, then guessing a direct's contents is sorta pointless. You'll eventually get it right anyway.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

Hmmm. Idk about that rumor being true but I mean that's highly possible. Those are the kind of measures you logically implement to some degree internally when you have a leaky ship. Idk if it's that drastic over there but maybe. Hard to know when we're sitting on the outside looking in.

Lol funny some dude on twitter keeps saying the more Nintendo sees us wanting a direct the more they push it back. The more people know the more Nintendo changes.

it's just kind of funny to hear

Haha that's funny. I mean that's kind of what I was saying in my post. Like, what if they are just having fun messing with us? Haha.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So the scenarios are

I'm going with letter C

Considering what Sakurai said about how virtually nobody even within Nintendo was told about Byleth I think A and B are absolutely happening.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
The twist is that all of EPD was assigned to work on Super Nintendo World and the Mario movie so no one was developing games. They only realized this around November 2019 so they started porting Wii U games as quickly as possible and started hiring people for Retro to speed up Metroid Prime 4.

Only studio that has actually been working on games is Monolith Soft but all their new IP ideas were cancelled and now they're working on Xenoblade 3 which will take years to come.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
So the scenarios are

I'm going with letter C

I'm wondering why you ever considered the letter C as option 🤔

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm starting to wish they would just announce a direct for like, April. At least I wouldn't hopefully check each week.
I feel that at this point it's become something fun but light to keep in the back of the mind. It'll come eventually, and this is a good occasional spot to talk about it.

hey BozPaggs I finally beat the damn crocomire today. Secret for me was not using any missiles and just using the charge blast

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Maybe Nintendo is waiting for the PS5 announcement. That would be hilarious to drown that announcement with a general Direct and burry it fully with the AC Direct.
Wasn't it rumored to be issued early February?

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
My thoughts are that Nintendo can't have a direct now due to production problems related to the coronavirus. They don't know what Sony is doing so they waiting on that plus they may not be able to fulfill their own production for games.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I will never have kids because I'm afraid they'll erase my save files and get my controllers all sticky

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I may be alone for my entire life but at least I don't think that the coronavirus delayed a Nintendo Direct

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
LMAO there must be a good story behind this
The story is my wife didn't understand that just pressing buttons on a controller could do anything, so she let my 1 year old have both my X1 and PS4 controllers to bang on.

At work I got multiple notifications going off on my phone for purchases and thought my accounts got hacked. Long story short, she bought $100+ worth of stuff on Xbox, which they refunded, and $250+ worth of stuff on PS4, which Sony wouldn't refund. Good times.

I have the weird combination of teens 17 - 23 and 35 - 45 year old men to comfort me
Dude, come on. I'm 34.

Also, you're too dramatic. Shit will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.