• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Is there a chance a direct happens tommorow. I mean there have been directs on Friday before right. I mean some people were saying there was some Japanese holiday so it would make sense in that regard. I actually don't think the direct is happening until either next week or early march. Just want to hear some opinions on this.
Nope, zero chance.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a chance a direct happens tommorow. I mean there have been directs on Friday before right. I mean some people were saying there was some Japanese holiday so it would make sense in that regard. I actually don't think the direct is happening until either next week or early march. Just want to hear some opinions on this.

With Nintendo being Nintendo and the possibility that they're breaking out of their "rules" for Directs ... almost everything is possible.

How likely or unlikely, is a different question and basically impossible to tell right now.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I just want new Animal Crossing footages. I'm so tired of endlessly watching the only two gameplay trailers of the game we got in 1 year and a half since the announcement.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. It's dead Jim. The focus should definitely be next week, especially if you're an Animal Crossing fan.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I don't have much to play these days. Indies have been 90% of my gaming time but nothing interesting for me was released since The Touryst, and I don't really have a backlog (I play and finish what I buy). It would be nice to get an indie direct with some interesting shadowdrops.
I don't really care about a general direct.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want new Animal Crossing footages. I'm so tired of endlessly watching the only two gameplay trailers of the game we got in 1 year and a half since the announcement.
That's the other thing...it's not even just a general direct. There's Animal Crossing too. I know info will come, but you have to admit this is the weirdest cycle I've seen leading up to a big Nintendo game. The way people have to dig for info on boxes or magazines. Nintendo repeating info from E3 in the September direct (I understand everyone didn't know this info around the world). They show the AC trailer at the beginning of January and I thought "here we go marketing about to take off"...and we got the AC Switch and lots of controversy lol

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I don't have much to play these days. Indies have been 90% of my gaming time but nothing interesting for me was released since The Touryst, and I don't really have a backlog (I play and finish what I buy). It would be nice to get an indie direct with some interesting shadowdrops.
I don't really care about a general direct.
Yeah, I have a ton of games on Switch and PC. It's typically Indies that I enjoy the most.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
So I assume people argue that a Nintendo direct won't be announced for tomorrow mainly because of it being a Friday and not because it's Valentine's Day, correct?

(Nintendo held a Direct on Valentine's Day back in 2013 when it occurred on a Thursday)

Deleted member 53506

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
At least for me, this situation is not nearly as annoying as it could be. Both Dead Cells and FE3H recieved DLC this week, so I am going to be occupied for the rest of the month. Especially considering I have one route left in FE3H and am going to tackle that after I played the DLC.
But still, Nintendo are being weird with the way they handle marketing atm.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's the other thing...it's not even just a general direct. There's Animal Crossing too. I know info will come, but you have to admit this is the weirdest cycle I've seen leading up to a big Nintendo game. The way people have to dig for info on boxes or magazines. Nintendo repeating info from E3 in the September direct (I understand everyone didn't know this info around the world). They show the AC trailer at the beginning of January and I thought "here we go marketing about to take off"...and we got the AC Switch and lots of controversy lol
Yeah... I mean sure, the game will sell super well, but the marketing has just been super frustrating.
I'm sure once the AC direct will be there it'll be fine for me, but as of right now, it's so frustrating.
Mario Odyssey and Smash Ultimate were the other 2 games that were ultra hype for me, and their marketing cycle definitely didn't frustrate me.
The delay of AC definitely fucked their marketing cycle, but it's a shame that they didn't succeed to make it less apparent.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
I think with game specific directs Nintendo really like to keep it fairly close to actual release to maximise hype.

Imagine if we had an AC direct in January, where they had this blow out of information, then by the time March roles around a lot of people who are not already animal crossing fans might have forgotten or moved on to be hyped by something else.

By placing a game direct close to release they probably secure a lot more preorders generated from the hype. I actually think it's good strategy

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah because it's Friday.
Okay, has it been discussed on here that Nintendo might deviate from the previous pattern just because it is Valentine's Day tomorrow?

Personally, I don't think there will be a Direct tomorrow but I am interested in hearing the arguments why Nintendo wouldn't deviate from their pattern of Wednesday/Thursday Directs in order to have a Direct on Valentine's Day.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
No, he actually appeared with a bang. Came out of knowhere and was the only one to predict the exact date and hour of the march 2018 Direct.
Which lead GameXplain to make a discussion video about it (along with the date, he rumored Mario Odyssey DLCs, and Travis Strikes Back news I think, among other things that were all completly false), and GameXplain were like "yeah it's most likely totally legit", which is funny given how yesterday Andre was like "bruh why you all fall for random insiders on the internet ?"

Deleted member 53506

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Okay, has it been discussed on here that Nintendo might deviate from the previous pattern just because it is Valentine's Day tomorrow?

Personally, I don't think there will be a Direct tomorrow but I am interested in hearing the arguments why Nintendo wouldn't deviate from their pattern of Wednesday/Thursday Directs in order to have a Direct on Valentine's Day.
Counterpoint, why would they want to have a Direct on VD, specifically? Other than wishful thinking that it might still be this week.

diegdm

Feb 6, 2019

From my point of view, we cant't forget that Nintendo is a Japanese company. What I mean is that if the Direct took place tomorrow at the usual time, it wouldn't be Valentine's Day on Japan any longer. In fact, it would be Saturday morning.
Last year the Direct took place indeed on Valentine's day, but it was February 13th in America and Western Europe due to timezones.

So, no. Nintendo wouldn't change their patterns in order to make the Direct on Valentine's Day in America.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I really wouldn't be surprised if they had an AC direct for this week, but it (and the game) have been pushed back. Can they get the game out of China?

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Counterpoint, why would they want to have a Direct on VD, specifically? Other than wishful thinking that it might still be this week.

Could be due to content that seems somehow related to Valentine's day in Nintendo's eyes? Though, I don't know what content that could be, perhaps AC related? Just speculating of course.

From my point of view, we cant't forget that Nintendo is a Japanese company. What I mean is that if the Direct took place tomorrow at the usual time, it wouldn't be Valentine's Day on Japan any longer. In fact, it would be Saturday morning.
Last day the Direct took place indeed on Valentine's day, but it was February 13th in America and Western Europe due to timezones.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. If it was indeed airing tomorrow and earlier than usual, it would likely have already been announced, I presume.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we combine the rumors

-2020 will be as good as 2017 and 2019
-the first half of 2020 will be good
-Paper Mario is returning to form
-Pikmin 3 is coming
-Super Mario 3D World is coming
-Halo is coming
-The World Ends With You 2 is coming

It makes you excited.

It's possible. I just don't think Nintendo is trying to go out of their way to have a Valentine's Day direct. The other one in 2013 happened to fall on a Thursday like you said.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Combined rumors are fun and all but they're just rumors. Nintendo not having any big news for 160+ days is unacceptable.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Combined rumors are fun and all but they're just rumors. Nintendo not having any big news for 160+ days is unacceptable.
I honestly don't believe this was intentional from Nintendo. I think something happened (whatever it may be) caused them to delay their direct to a later date. Of course it doesn't take away it being frustrating to many.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright I'm going to watch all the Nintendo Directs on Nintendo's playlist. In the February 22, 2012 direct Reggie announced The Last Story was coming to the west. Dillons Rolling Western was also announced.

diegdm

Feb 6, 2019
I honestly don't believe this was intentional from Nintendo. I think something happened (whatever it may be) caused them to delay their direct to a later date. Of course it doesn't take away it being frustrating to many.
Yeah, I too have the feeling that Nintendo didn't have this planned when the year started. It just doesn't make sense.
They are a company and have investors that probably would like to know how this year is going to be.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
To be fair there hasn't been much from Microsoft or Sony either. Maybe it is the uncertainty around coronavirus leading all three to be a little more hesitant to reveal things until we have a clearer picture

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo holding off for a Valentine's Direct because 2020's headlining game is the big-budget Bowser Dating Sim we've always wanted

(playing as Bowser or dating Bowser? you decide!)

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
That's also my guess. Maybe they had to reschedule some releases.
If they have many unannounced releases coming, their reveal schedule doesn't make much sense right now.

Deleted member 53506

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, I too have the feeling that Nintendo didn't have this planned when the year started. It just doesn't make sense.
They are a company and have investors that probably would like to know how this year is going to be.
Yeah, April 1st marks the beginning of the new fiscal year for Nintendo. They have to show their cards, at least to some extent, ahead of that.

dheophe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FYI, today Nintendo's Line account send some Animal Crossing promotion. Maybe Animal Crossing Direct is sooner than later.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
If we combine the rumors

-Pikmin 3 is coming
-Halo is coming

Add to that possible Zelda BotW 2 and/or maybe even new 3D Mario this year, and MPT HD that also coming (but most likely not this year).

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I really wouldn't be surprised if they had an AC direct for this week, but it (and the game) have been pushed back. Can they get the game out of China?

Yes, they can, because Switch carts are made IN Japan. There will be no issue getting the game itself out, for any region.

What the Coronavirus is affecting is the production of hardware, such as Switch consoles, JoyCons, RingFit rings, etc, that are produced for Japan. Because the manufacturers in China are not working at full capacity, the supply of hardware specifically will suffer.

In the West, the supply is not constrained. This may be in part because Nintendo shifted some (or all? Unsure) of Switch hardware production meant for the West to Vietnam, in order to avoid American tariffs. Not 100% sure on this one.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If we combine the rumors

-Pikmin 3 is coming
-Halo is coming

It makes you excited.

Meh that doesn't make me excited. At least 3 of those games are ports of things I've already played.

Thankfully I only play a handful of games for a long time so AC should tide me over for ages.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Add to that possible Zelda BotW 2 and/or maybe even new 3D Mario this year, and MPT HD that also coming (but most likely not this year).
Yep.
Meh that doesn't make me excited. At least 3 of those games are ports of things I've already played.

Thankfully I only play a handful of games for a long time so AC should tide me over for ages.
What would you like to see? This is only the rumors we have so far. I think it's a pretty good start. You could add BotW 2 as a possibility to come this year.

xrxtzz

Jan 12, 2020
Corona - why do marketing when you're out of stock
That's it. In fact the corona virus in China did affect the manufacturing of Switch consoles in Asia. Right now in Japan the consoles are facing out of stock issues and on Amazon the prices are higher than normal (starting from 35000 yen, normally 29980). Besides, Japan has the biggest number of infected people except China(maybe second biggest, not really sure). It makes sense if Nintendo put off their marketing plans under such scenarios.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Or maybe it's the first time since the Switch era they have a big game releasing in the year's Q1 and they want all the focus on it for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.