• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Sussex, England, UK
Could Nintendo be delaying the next direct till there is a clearer idea on the Coronavirus outbreak? Since Japan is virtually out of Switch stock, and game production/distribution could be affected if the virus spreads any further, perhaps they do not wish to commit at the moment to any further announcements?

Plum

May 31, 2018
You forgot two pokemon dlc expansions, tms encore, no more heroes 3, two FDC remakes and prob some other games for 2020 line up.

I'm not really counting Pokemon DLC even though I suppose it's a major thing for some.
TMS Encore came out before the point of comparison I was using (hence why I didn't include NSMBUD)
No More Heroes 3 isn't a Nintendo-published game.
I don't even know what the FDC remakes are.

It's a bit funny that the one you missed is the only one I genuinely missed myself (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) lol

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
And now the "spoiled children"posts...ffs

tenor.gif

I'm honestly tired enough of twitter media journalist saying how I need to "find other things to do" or "clear my backlog"

Yes, I do indeed have a life, no, I don't spend 24 hours a day "clearing my backlog". The real world is rough and tough and sometimes you need those little moments of joy to keep you going.

That joy being a Nintendo Direct

But i digress, people arent allowed to be disappointed

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could Nintendo be delaying the next direct till there is a clearer idea on the Coronavirus outbreak? Since Japan is virtually out of Switch stock, and game production/distribution could be affected if the virus spreads any further, perhaps they do not wish to commit at the moment to any further announcements?
So are they going to delay a direct for months and months? The corona virus is an unknown to when things will get better. It might be this summer or fall or next year.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm honestly tired enough of twitter media journalist saying how I need to "find other things to do" or "clear my backlog"

Yes, I do indeed have a life, no, I don't spend 24 hours a day "clearing my backlog". The real world is rough and tough and sometimes you need those little moments of joy to keep you going.

That joy being a Nintendo Direct

But i digress, people arent allowed to be disappointed

It's funny because I highly doubt those same media journalists would decry people watching their coverage of newer titles because "you've got a massive backlog! why do you care?"

Because, frankly, the argument is exactly the same. You can't have it both ways and claim that people can't be excited about X new thing due to backlogs when allowing people to be excited about Y new thing anyway.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
To give some more context as to why people are disappointed, lets look at what retail Nintendo-published titles were expected to release within the year at this point in 2019 compared to what major titles we know about right now:

2019:
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Yoshi's Crafted World
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Daemon X Machina
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NA/EU)
- Dragon Quest XI
- Pokemon 2019

2020:
- Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
- Bravely Default II

...can people really not see why some folks aren't too enthused about 2020's lineup? It just seems like you have to be wilfully ignorant at this point to think that everyone who's disappointed are somehow being completely irrational.
Sarcasm?

Most of the games listed for 2019 were summer releases. It's still winter last time I checked and Nintendo is infamous for small marketing cycles.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Once again, the problem it is not the abscence of a Direct, but the lack of communication from Nintendo. We fans dont know shit about their plans and that is frustrating.
There are healthier ways to handle this.

Tackle your backlog.
Play the new Fire Emblem DLC that released this week.
Browse other Era threads.
Do literally anything else but obsess over a Direct that may or may not come in the near future.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Guys, i made a mistake, i lied to you in my last post.
I wanted to make you believe i was an insider, but the truth is i don't know nothing.
If the mods, and you, people, consider I should get permabanned, then i accept it.
I was taught that when someone makes a mistake, he must assume it and apologize, and thats what i wanted to do here.
Sorry.
You're going in the bottle, POE.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Once again, the problem it is not the abscence of a Direct, but the lack of communication from Nintendo. We fans dont know shit about their plans and that is frustrating.
The problem is also expectations. We have a long history of directs coming in Jan/Feb so we expect a direct.

I think getting mad is kind of ridiculous and those people should get off the internet for a bit lol. Disappointed is fine. If you aren't looking forward to AC, like I am, then you are kind of saying what the fuck to Nintendo's 1st half. Of course, not every company is going to be able to assuage every person in their fanbase at every given moment. Now I'm not saying we all expect them to do that, but I am saying that expectations should be chilled a bit.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Nintendo aint got nothing to show at this point, until E3.

I mean Zelda BOTW2, MP4, Bayonetta all of them are 2021 titles. Remakes will take place for holidays.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
And yet we are going to likely at least mid March now without knowing anything.

Not necessarily. Wii U ports can be announced on Twitter. Maybe we do get a mini Direct. Maybe they break their pattern and have a general next week. It's silly to assume we aren't hearing anything at all until mid March at the earliest.

However as much as you shouldn't decry people for trusting insiders, you shouldn't expect people to trust them either. Making it so that people can't be disappointed if a random insider says "2020 is going to be amazing," just fuels the whole insider fire and does nothing to alleviate people's concerns.

The "random" insider I'm referring to is Emily, who basically spelled out the entire 2019 lineup last year, and says 2020 will rival 2017 and 2019. And says to expect a lot of RPGs in H1, whereas we know of just one for the year (XenoblaDE).

Also you missed Deadly Premonition 2, which I'm pretty sure Nintendo is at least helping with if not outright publishing.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed that people here really think nintendo would do anything other than an animal crossing direct towards the end of the month and then ride that success for a while until late april/early may.
Theres so much out on switch already and coming up in the next few months why should they spoil the second half of the years releases now.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There are healthier ways to handle this.

Tackle your backlog.
Play the new Fire Emblem DLC that released this week.
Browse other Era threads.
Do literally anything else but obsess over a Direct that may or may not come in the near future.
Or let people do what they want and ignore people if you can't handle them criticizing nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
Sussex, England, UK
So are they going to delay a direct for months and months? The corona virus is an unknown to when things will get better. It might be this summer or fall or next year.
No point in pushing something they can't sell. Japan is the second most affected country as well, if it continues to spread Nintendo could well be forced to close offices and production facilities for quite a while. If cartridge production workers end up sent home releases may be delayed by months anyways.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo aint got nothing to show at this point, until E3.

I mean Zelda BOTW2, MP4, Bayonetta all of them are 2021 titles. Remakes will take place for holidays.

I honestly think this is part of it (though MP4 is like 2023 at the earliest).

There's a good chance BotW 2 is not a 2020 game. Which I think makes it likely that there isn't a big AAA holiday title this year. That doesn't mean the lineup can't be great or varied, but just that it may be lacking that big "must have" title.

BusinessKong

Dec 3, 2018
Does anyone else ever wonder what the overlap is between people who are overly upset at no Nintendo Direct and people who are never pleased with a Nintendo Direct?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't know what the FDC remakes are, the GOATs of VN detective games, why even be here.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To give some more context as to why people are disappointed, lets look at what retail Nintendo-published titles were expected to release within the year at this point in 2019 compared to what major titles we know about right now:

2019:
- Yoshi's Crafted World
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Daemon X Machina
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NA/EU)
- Dragon Quest XI
- Pokemon 2019

2020:
- Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
- Bravely Default II

...can people really not see why some folks aren't too enthused about 2020's lineup? It just seems like you have to be wilfully ignorant at this point to think that everyone who's disappointed are somehow being completely irrational.
I'm pretty sure the Feb 2019 direct had already happened at that point right? So add stuff like Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain and Tetris 99 to that 2019 list.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed that people here really think nintendo would do anything other than an animal crossing direct towards the end of the month and then ride that success for a while until late april/early may.
Theres so much out on switch already and coming up in the next few months why should they spoil the second half of the years releases now.
Uh...by the end of last February, we knew all of 2019's lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.