• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Sounds fine to me. As long as Nintendo comes out and says it. Then we can avoid all of this nonsense until then.

I wish Directs had a fixed schedule they always follow by, at least for general directs. We don't have to worry about when E3 happens because it has a fixed date and we still get hyped up for it. Having a proper schedule would result in a lot of pointless hype rising following hype deflation.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This says 0% about their motivations for voting in the poll on the first place

Voting on a poll isn't giving inside info.

That isn't my point. My point was why would they even vote if they weren't sure about the date? They could have you know, not vote, since people would assumed they heard something. They could have even clear this up yesterday by saying 'I'm guessing' when people kept talking about how Zippo and another insider voted for this week, while Nate said they heard nothing.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'm going to give Zippo the benefit of the doubt if, for example, an AC Direct happens next week, and the general happens the first week or so of March

Because depending on when he heard of the Directs, the dates could be adjusted a week or two around

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
We are pretty much in new territory here given the gap since the last Direct, so for me there's a few important points to remember:

1) Nintendo's "first half of the month" pattern might be about to get broken in the next 2 weeks. I'm not sure what to expect, but wouldn't rule it out. We're in the longest stretch between Nintendo Directs, after all.
2) Given Nintendo's financial year ends in March and they'll be briefing investors about their next financial year forecasts at the end of April, so I'd absolutely expect significant announcements in the next 2 months. Anyone jumping on the 'no Directs till E3' is ignoring how Nintendo structure their year. The financial year is important and they'll need to have a line-up of products confirmed by then which demonstrates how they're going to hit their FY targets. We could easily be looking at an Animal Crossing Direct later this month and a general Direct on something like March 5th.
3) While we are in the longest ever gap between major Directs, it would be wrong to say we've had zero communication from Nintendo since the last general Direct. There's been a drip-feed of bits and pieces over that time that have actually fleshed out 2020 in some small and significant ways. I'd say the Pokemon expansion was the most significant news, because it indicates a major change in strategy for that franchise and points to a non-Pokemon title headlining Q4 this calendar year.
4) Not from Nintendo themselves, but we did have the Nintendo-adjacent Wonderful 101 news, too.

There's a bunch of interesting stuff that either will or might land this year, too: Xenoblade DE, Bravely Default 2, No More Heroes 3, Detective Club, Zelda, Bayonetta 3. That's ignoring the ports and new titles which have been heavily rumoured. So I wouldn't jump to doom and gloom. Sure, it's disappointing when it's been a while since we last had several first-party announcements at a time - we had 3 retail and 2 digital back in February 19, and since then we've only had 3 further retail and 1 digital confirmed (Zelda @ E3, Xenoblade DE, Ring Fit, Stretchers). On the flip side, that means there are absolutely projects in development which are going to appear sooner rather than later.

I get for those who aren't catered for with software this is especially disappointing, but I think what's likely happening is Nintendo are getting their ducks in order for the year. For example, Luigi's Mansion 3 seemed a little uncertain at times last year - Nintendo weren't willing to commit to a release date (outside of 2019) at E3 and didn't show it in the February Direct (along with Animal Crossing). Suggests to me that there was a period of uncertainty about the game hitting its release window, so Nintendo kept it out the spotlight till they were more confident it was coming. Nintendo could well be juggling multiple titles along those lines and are only going to do a Direct when they can confirm 6 to 9 months of fairly solid release windows. An extra month (or two) could make all the difference to their plans.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Remember Nate said things will be looking good after March, so perhaps a mini direct in April and a general Direct at E3/September
Oh come on... still holding onto "insiders", twisting everything said to create adifferent narrative.

It was about game releases. He litteraly said he knows nothing about any direct.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
3 minutes from now.

n7EXwQ8.jpg

MIIEBop.jpg

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Direct cancelled
E3 cancelled
NoA's twitter cancelled

It finally happened guys. Nintendo really is going under this time

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Talking about more serious matters, is there any chance that MM2 and FE3H aren't the only first-party games on tomorrow's sale?
I hope so, yes. I've been thinking about trying Arms for a while but am not quite sure I'll get much use out of it so didn't want to jump in without a good discount.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Still no Tweet. Maybe Nintendo just disappeared off the face of the earth?

Either that or they're no longer making announcements or advertising their software, it'll all just show up in shops when it releases.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not to pull out the tinfoil hat, but the silence from NoA twitter is giving me more hope.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We are pretty much in new territory here given the gap since the last Direct, so for me there's a few important points to remember:

1) Nintendo's "first half of the month" pattern might be about to get broken in the next 2 weeks. I'm not sure what to expect, but wouldn't rule it out. We're in the longest stretch between Nintendo Directs, after all.
2) Given Nintendo's financial year ends in March and they'll be briefing investors about their next financial year forecasts at the end of April, so I'd absolutely expect significant announcements in the next 2 months. Anyone jumping on the 'no Directs till E3' is ignoring how Nintendo structure their year. The financial year is important and they'll need to have a line-up of products confirmed by then which demonstrates how they're going to hit their FY targets. We could easily be looking at an Animal Crossing Direct later this month and a general Direct on something like March 5th.
3) While we are in the longest ever gap between major Directs, it would be wrong to say we've had zero communication from Nintendo since the last general Direct. There's been a drip-feed of bits and pieces over that time that have actually fleshed out 2020 in some small and significant ways. I'd say the Pokemon expansion was the most significant news, because it indicates a major change in strategy for that franchise and points to a non-Pokemon title headlining Q4 this calendar year.
4) Not from Nintendo themselves, but we did have the Nintendo-adjacent Wonderful 101 news, too.

There's a bunch of interesting stuff that either will or might land this year, too: Xenoblade DE, Bravely Default 2, No More Heroes 3, Detective Club, Zelda, Bayonetta 3. That's ignoring the ports and new titles which have been heavily rumoured. So I wouldn't jump to doom and gloom. Sure, it's disappointing when it's been a while since we last had several first-party announcements at a time - we had 3 retail and 2 digital back in February 19, and since then we've only had 3 further retail and 1 digital confirmed (Zelda @ E3, Xenoblade DE, Ring Fit, Stretchers). On the flip side, that means there are absolutely projects in development which are going to appear sooner rather than later.

I get for those who aren't catered for with software this is especially disappointing, but I think what's likely happening is Nintendo are getting their ducks in order for the year. For example, Luigi's Mansion 3 seemed a little uncertain at times last year - Nintendo weren't willing to commit to a release date (outside of 2019) at E3 and didn't show it in the February Direct (along with Animal Crossing). Suggests to me that there was a period of uncertainty about the game hitting its release window, so Nintendo kept it out the spotlight till they were more confident it was coming. Nintendo could well be juggling multiple titles along those lines and are only going to do a Direct when they can confirm 6 to 9 months of fairly solid release windows. An extra month (or two) could make all the difference to their plans.
Great post. Agree a lot with points 1 and 2. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yo why is this thread moving so god damn fast even though nothing got announced.
This shit is getting crazier every dqy lom

Status
Not open for further replies.