• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Thanks! I try not to bother people with my personal life all that much.
Well, that's obviously absolutely fine. I myself don't tend to share much if anything about my personal life online.
I did wonder, though, whether I missed that between the whole "Emily's pregnant" and other usual Direct madness posts in the last OT, lol. With what was going on in there over the past few days, it wouldn't surprise me if I missed a lot.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
My fiancee's is a gamer/Nintendo fan, but I'm definitely much bigger than she is. She's a gigantic anime/fantasy/HP/GOT fanatic so i get dragged to see those with her.
The girl I've just started seeing has a Switch and we're counting down to Animal Crossing together... so nice.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
My fiancee's is a gamer/Nintendo fan, but I'm definitely much bigger than she is. She's a gigantic anime/fantasy/HP/GOT fanatic so i get dragged to see those with her.
Well, at least you can play Switch games together! GOT...I liked what I saw of the first 2 seasons, but I heard the finale was bad...So I dropped the series. HP (Harry Potter is assume) is always great. And I've only seen the original 7.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Well, that's obviously absolutely fine. I myself don't tend to share much if anything about my personal life online.
I did wonder, though, whether I missed that between the whole "Emily's pregnant" and other usual Direct madness posts in the last OT, lol. With what was going on in there over the past few days, it wouldn't surprise me if I missed a lot.
Yeah, does Nate have anything to announce? A graduation or new house perhaps?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Believe me: you're a lucky man. I'm so happy for you!

Thank you kindly! She and my mom are the reason I'm sane at all.

That's the thing. I don't mind talking about my personal. I just try not to be a bother about that sort of thing.

The girl I've just started seeing has a Switch and we're counting down to Animal Crossing together... so nice.
That's awesome. Gaming is a great way to bond with a SO.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you kindly! She and my mom are the reason I'm sane at all.

That's the thing. I don't mind talking about my personal. I just try not to be a bother about that sort of thing.

That's awesome. Gaming is a great way to bond with a SO.
My exes reactions to gaming ranged from ridicule ("Grow up and stop playing") to indifference. It's nice to have somebody I could share that with. One of our first dates we played Castle Crashers together.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Well, at least you can play Switch games together! GOT...I liked what I saw of the first 2 seasons, but I heard the finale was bad...So I dropped the series. HP (Harry Potter is assume) is always great. And I've only seen the original 7.

Yeah! We've got about 100 hours in MK8D together between our Switches. She went to sleep, but we were just playing Smash earlier. She's a Kirby/Sheik main and she has kicked my ass multiple times before.

She could go on about GOT for days and she has haha. The finale is the first time I've seen her visibly livid.

I liked the Harry Potter films but those spinoffs have been yawnfests.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Speaking of backlog...what physical games have you all bought and not even touched yet?

I'm looking at Dark Souls, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Astral Chain, DQ11S, Mario Tennis Aces, Pokemon LGP, Kirby Star Allies, DQ Builders, LA Noire, and DB Xenoverse.

So...eleven games at least.

:')

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
My exes reactions to gaming ranged from ridicule ("Grow up and stop playing") to indifference. It's nice to have somebody I could share that with. One of our first dates we played Castle Crashers together.

Same. I wouldn't get serious with someone who doesn't at least have a passing interest in gaming. She was, though. One of our first dates was at an arcade and I'll never forget it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Guys, here's a random bit of The Elder Scrolls lore to take your minds of the anxiety:

Emperor Reman was born after his father, a Colovian King, copulated with a hillock as per instructions of a ghost.

That is right, dude undressed and had sex with the ground. He died in the process.

Then the hill grew pregnant and a Demi-god emperor was born and conquered most of the continent.

Don't see that kind of crazy shit in Zelda.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah! We've got about 100 hours in MK8D together between our Switches. She went to sleep, but we were just playing Smash earlier. She's a Kirby/Sheik main and she has kicked my ass multiple times before.

She could go on about GOT for days and she has haha. The finale is the first time I've seen her visibly livid.

I liked the Harry Potter films but those spinoffs have been yawnfests.
MK and Smash are always great. And having shows that you watch together can be fun, even if just to see the other person's reactions. I love introducing shows to my sister, getting her hooked on them, and then watching for her reactions lol.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
13th February is the first date this year whereby I'd be genuinely surprised and disappointed if we still had no General Direct.

So, I'm all aboard the hype train at this point... just hope it's the right train, and it doesnt smash into a moon.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
MK and Smash are always great. And having shows that you watch together can be fun, even if just to see the other person's reactions. I love introducing shows to my sister, getting her hooked on them, and then watching for her reactions lol.

Haha I've done that with my family over the years. We made it a tradition to watch every MCU movie once they released on home video. Their reactions are always great.

Arcade?! Man, I don't know if that's cliche or what, but that sounds so fun- even non-romantically.

It's a blast. Friends, dates, whatever the case may be.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Speaking of backlog...what physical games have you all bought and not even touched yet?

I'm looking at Dark Souls, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Astral Chain, DQ11S, Mario Tennis Aces, Pokemon LGP, Kirby Star Allies, DQ Builders, LA Noire, and DB Xenoverse.

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk actually is the only physical game I haven't finished yet. Still, I started it twice already. Something about it makes me lose interest within 5h of playtime, though. I think it's just how convoluted some of its systems are. I like games having more of a focus and execute that very well, while LoR:CoD (haha) is a bit all over the place imo.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Haha I've done that with my family over the years. We made it a tradition to watch every MCU movie once they released on home video. Their reactions are always great.

It's a blast. Friends, dates, whatever the case may be.
So all this casual and personal talk makes me wonder. Do you ever regret revealing yourself as an insider or at least "someone in the know"? I mean I see you requesting people not to tag you all the time, so it must be pretty annoying at times. Do the pros of being a known insider on the internet outweigh the cons?

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk actually is the only physical game I haven't finished yet. Still, I started it twice already. Something about it makes me lose interest within 5h of playtime, though. I think it's just how convoluted some of its systems are. I like games having more of a focus and execute that very well, while LoR:CoD (haha) is a bit all over the place imo.
Convoluted systems...yeah, I agree. I'm someone who values clean and great gameplay. Systems can be great, if they're the focus of a game, like say Fire Emblem. But some games just don't balance it well when it comes to actual gameplay.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
But what other cause for discourse would there be? It would be cause for celebration because:
1. New Monster Hunter
2. Monster Hunter on Switch
3. Actual AAA 3P Switch support from Capcom

Yeah that's what I'm saying. People has been saying there's no MH for Switch coming and that everyone should give up the thought.
If there was one announced, the discource would be interesting to follow. Because of the reasons you say.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I wouldn't get serious with someone who doesn't at least have a passing interest in gaming. She was, though. One of our first dates was at an arcade and I'll never forget it.
My ex put at least 800 hours into animal crossing on 3ds. It's a shame that the relationship did not work out at the end (mainly my fault, anyway).

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Go outside people. Enjoy some lovely fresh air for a while.
yamauchirpgplayersa4jwe.jpg

ScottAustin

Jan 31, 2020

Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Starlink, The World Ends With You, Skyrim, and Octopath Traveler.

I really need to get around to playing those!

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Starlink, The World Ends With You, Skyrim, and Octopath Traveler.

I really need to get around to playing those!
Man you haven't touched Skyrim either...That's why I've sworn off buying physical games until I finish my backlog!

That is until I backed the W101R physical on Kickstarter for Switch...sigh

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
So all this casual and personal talk makes me wonder. Do you ever regret revealing yourself as an insider or at least "someone in the know"? I mean I see you requesting people not to tag you all the time, so it must be pretty annoying at times. Do the pros of being a known insider on the internet outweigh the cons?

Interesting question. It's pretty complex. I've have had inside information for games/movies for a decade and a half now. I personally don't like attention very much and i rarely ever share. It can be super stressful and it gives people "expectations" of you. There's really not a lot of upside to it, if I'm being honest. I give out info as a nice gesture to the community. The reactions and feedback for the most part, have been extremely kind, so I'm super thankful for that. On the other hand, being an insider can also be an extremely cruel and ruthless experience. I've seen the abuse Emily, Zell, Imran and Nate have had to take and I'm not a fan of it at all.

TL;DR yes and no.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Does it need to be physical?

I have a hefty backlog, although I've touched all of them.

By touched I mean "played for two minutes"

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Interesting question. It's pretty complex. I've have had inside information for games/movies for a decade and a half now. I personally don't like attention very much. It can be super stressful and it gives people "expectations" of you. There's really not a lot of upside to it, if I'm being honest. I give out info as a nice gesture to the community. The reactions and feedback for the most part, have been extremely kind, so I'm super thankful for that. On the other hand, being an insider can also be an extremely cruel and ruthless experience. I've seen the abuse Emily, Zell, Imran and Nate have had to take and I'm not a fan of it at all.

TL;DR yes and no.
Wow, thanks for the equally complex answer. I imagine your ideal dream of being an insider is that you reveal some information, people react, they ask a couple of simple follow up questions, don't try to force anything from you, and treat you relatively normally?

But even as I typed the latter half of that out...I almost started to laugh because I know it could never be true. Being an insider really does sound like a blessing and a curse. Hope you keep your head up through all of it!

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Does it need to be physical?

I have a hefty backlog, although I've touched all of them.

By touched I mean "played for two minutes"
Well, if it's not physical...How about a game that you've not spent more than 5-10 minutes on? You know, "I created my character in Skyrim and that's about it" kind of touched.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Wow, thanks for the equally complex answer. I imagine your ideal dream of being an insider is that you reveal some information, people react, they ask a couple of simple follow up questions, don't try to force anything from you, and treat you relatively normally?

But even as I typed the latter half of that out...I almost started to laugh because I know it could never be true. Being an insider really does sound like a blessing and a curse. Hope you keep your head up through all of it!

Yeah. That would be the ideal situation. But this is the internet of 2020 and things are just not like that.

It's absolutely a blessing and a curse. Thank you! Doing my best. Don't think the wait should be much longer.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah. That would be the ideal situation. But this is the internet of 2020 and things are just not like that.

It's absolutely a blessing and a curse. Thank you! Doing my best. Don't think the wait should be much longer.
I hope you become a regular around here! And oh man, I'm getting excited! As you can tell from my avi, I'm a big M&L fan. So with Alphadream gone, Paper Mario is the next best thing (just as good really)! I can't wait!

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I hope you become a regular around here! And oh man, I'm getting excited! As you can tell from my avi, I'm a big M&L fan. So with Alphadream gone, Paper Mario is the next best thing (just as good really)! I can't wait!

You're talking to a fellow Mario RPG nut here. Thousand Year Door was a life changing game for me, no exaggeration. Bowser's Inside Story is equally near and dear to me.

Hoping for the best.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
You're talking to a fellow Mario RPG nut here. Thousand Year Door was a life changing game for me, no exaggeration. Bowser's Inside Story is equally near and dear to me.

Hoping for the best.
Great to hear you have such great taste ;) the first 2 Paper Mario games are some of my all time favourites, similar to you, PM64 was a life-changer for me. Can remember vividly playing it for the first time as a kid with my sister! I'm not expecting a new one to live up to that kind of nostalgia of course, even if it does return to the old style. But Breath of the Wild made me feel wonder and excitement that I hadn't felt in a video game in a long time, so I have hope that it could still happen! :)

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Partners who game? The Mrs. isn't really one here, though she warmed a bit for certain games. Honestly, she initially dislike me being a gamer ... now she has three around her. It's all good though, just always keep in mind it's family > gaming. ^^

a0ced56881f10234716984fee55d57b8.jpg

I wanted to post a gif but thought it would be too gory for a wholesome Nintendo thread.

Tim? We need Tim! Where's Tim?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
oh no, we have reached the "monty phyton holy grail references" point of an internet thread.

it's over.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
That for sure but if family wants you to drop your passion because "grow up" it's not family

You shouldn't be together with someone who tries to change you to the core to begin with. ^^

oh no, we have reached the "monty phyton holy grail references" point of an internet thread.

it's over.

You have a problem with Monty Python? OK that's it. You just wait when i come to you:

ALMOST THERE!

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Can I just say I think it's so sweet how this thread is 20% Direct speculation, 50% insanity, and a nice 30% bonding over the love of a brand.

I'm the "geeky" one in my marriage, but I'm also unironically that stereotype of I like talking about games more than playing them.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
It seems Square has announced an "all-in-one" package for Kingdom Hearts, only for PS4, only in NA.
It would be too much to expect KH in some form on Switch?
EDIT: KH3 runs on UE4 right?

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
It seems Square has announced an "all-in-one" package for Kingdom Hearts, only for PS4, only in NA.
It would be too much to expect KH in some form on Switch?
I would expect something this year or the next. Not 3, but everything before is pretty guaranteed honestly. If Xbox got them, no reason why switch wouldn't eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.