• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Then why would they need another special Animal Crossing Direct later on the 20th? Unless there's some big side thing that needs further explanation, I guess, but why would all those renders need to stay offline/private until then instead of the infobomb in the general Direct two weeks earlier?

It doesn't make sense to me.
Cause the info they have to deliver would take too much time in a single Direct. They will prefere to have a hype trailer during the General Direct and a extended look during the Dedicated one.

Both AC segments would serve different purposes. I'd agree that if we are getting the dedicated Direct first then an AC segment wouldn't be needed in the General Direct (which would be weird). That's why I prefer the 1st option (which gives a proper ramp up of info till launch)

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
JP preorders for AC opens on Saturday Feb 8th so that's why we are expecting a General Direct this week (which will obv. have an AC segment in it), possibly on Thursday (US)/Friday(JP).

It's entirely plausible preorders open in Japan with no new additional info on New Horizons. Back when Super Mario Maker 2's release date was announced, preorders opened in Japan with no need for additional infos (its release date was revealed on Twitter towards the end of April, shortly before the FY investor meeting IIRC). Then, the May 15th SMM2 Direct happened.

The hype for the game is so big by default that there's probably going to be no need for more infos to be released shortly before the preorders opening in Japan. Then, the (potential) AC Direct on February 20th will give an additional boost exactly one month from its release.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that the Direct will be announced on Wednesday so don't go too crazy if nothing is announced tomorrow.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely plausible preorders open in Japan with no new additional info on New Horizons. Back when Super Mario Maker 2's release date was announced, preorders opened in Japan with no need for additional infos (its release date was revealed on Twitter towards the end of April, shortly before the FY investor meeting IIRC). Then, the May 15th SMM2 Direct happened.

The hype for the game is so big by default that there's probably going to be no need for more infos to be released shortly before the preorders opening in Japan. Then, the (potential) AC Direct on February 20th will give an additional boost exactly one month from its release.
They won't open the preorder via Twitter or else they would have already done it, the game is coming next month.

Even Chris is saying that a Direct is more likely.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I still believe BotW 2 can happen this holiday, not because someone said anything or didn't. Simply because of the announcement trailer which was more Switch reveal 2017 and less "We're doing it" from E³ 2014 or "Hey Game still exists" from E³ 2016. As it being basically a "story teaser" showing actual cutscenes from the game spliced up out of order.

Though with Nintendo, a delay is not something i ever discard completely.
With how it builds up on the technical foundation of BotW, I think your hope isn't completely unreasonable.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
besides specific dates, the only thing WRONG is beyond good and evil and telltale ... everything else was released at some point (depends on how do you get your info, it is easy to see a screenshot of splatoon 2 and think it is splatoon 1 for example)
That's what the whole list is based on though. And every single thing about it was incorrect, aside from the Mario Kart 8 port after launch.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Is this the only piece of 'evidence' that we have that supports a direct this week? I think next week is a safer bet if we make judgements based on past presentation dates.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
What has he gotten wrong???
"#5 is not a first party character but is tied to Nintendo kinda like Bayonetta" (actually first party character)
"this direct (september one) has a showstopper (later said he meant Paper Mario)"

He's a good guy and probably has access to legit infos, and I definitely appreciate that he tells us stuff. But there's nothing wrong when people don't want him to be already considered as some big insider when he hasn't had the chance to get something right yet. Some people here already compare him to Zell lol

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Is this the only piece of 'evidence' that we have that supports a direct this week? I think next week is a safer bet if we make judgements based on past presentation dates.

I would say assuming based on "presentation dates" is wrong. If we get a direct this week on the 6th, it's still going to break the record for days between general directs with 155 days. I would say this week is also more likely because of AC preorders opening on the 8th in Japan, which would be one day after the direct on the 7th in Japan.

Kyu

Banned
Jan 20, 2020
We have an evidence. Zell said next direct is at E3. Unfortunately, some delusional people think he was joking even if he wasn't.You will all see.

Oct 25, 2017
"#5 is not a first party character but is tied to Nintendo kinda like Bayonetta" (actually first party character)
"this direct (september one) has a showstopper (later said he meant Paper Mario)"

He's a good guy and probably has access to legit infos, and I definitely appreciate that he tells us stuff. But there's nothing wrong when people don't want him to be already considered as some big insider when he hasn't had the chance to get something right yet. Some people here already compare him to Zell lol
Fair enough, I just think he's all us desperate fanboys have left.

Every once in a while Emily chimes in though.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That's what the whole list is based on though. And every single thing about it was incorrect, aside from the Mario Kart 8 port after launch.

You are thinking those leaks are based on complete knowledge of plans. Pratically no leak is made with that kind of knowledge and only knows what a person saw once in a tv or something like that since companies do not work with small employees knowing everything being made. Random employee kidnapping, remember?

With partial knowledge of the games, 3D Mario, Mario x Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Skyrim, Just Dance, Smash Ultimate, BotW, Mk8 Deluxe, Pokemon and Mario maker 2 (and probably xenoblade) were ALL being made at the same time.
And the sequels (specially in development stage) could pass for ports for the untrained eye or non complete information "smash bros coming soon" might turn into "smash bros port"

Last edited:

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
They won't open the preorder via Twitter or else they would have already done it, the game is coming next month.

Even Chris is saying that a Direct is more likely.

Well, the preorder start date for both the game and the bundle has already been revealed via their social media channels, including Twitter. It's already known, so I don't understand the issue here (don't want to sound rude, I apologise if that's the case).

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Well, the preorder start date for both the game and the bundle has already been revealed via their social media channels, including Twitter. It's already known, so I don't understand the issue here (don't want to sound rude, I apologise if that's the case).
They will almost certainly show more of the game before preorders open in Japan. Likely in a direct, with a part in the Japanese direct that mentions that preorders open "tomorrow."

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
I would say assuming based on "presentation dates" is wrong. If we get a direct this week on the 6th, it's still going to break the record for days between general directs with 155 days. I would say this week is also more likely because of AC preorders opening on the 8th in Japan, which would be one day after the direct on the 7th in Japan.

Is there a precedent for directs before pre-orders for a major first party release in Japan open up? Also, pre-orders are up in North America IIRC, don't know if that influences the chances.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
oof chaos reignin in this thread like:

H5SYtMR.gif

I just wanna see some more BoTW2 in the next direct. I don't wanna wait til E3 :(

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
If there's a general and AC direct this month, and Paper Mario and 2D Metroid are announced, yes.
I'm sorry, but only Paper Mario was brought up by him. Traditional Paper Mario this year will be nice for his non-existent track record once it's announced mind you.
2D Metroid comes from multiple other insiders before, and most people in this thread predicted a general Direct this month as well as an AC Direct.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Is there a precedent for directs before pre-orders for a major first party release in Japan open up? Also, pre-orders are up in North America IIRC, don't know if that influences the chances.
It depends on the particular game, but it can be a factor. NA physical preorders are usually up as soon as a game is announced, but digital preorders are yet to open. That would probably come later in February, and may coincide with a dedicated AC direct.

Oct 26, 2017
oof chaos reignin in this thread like:

H5SYtMR.gif

I just wanna see some more BoTW2 in the next direct. I don't wanna wait til E3 :(
I want my boi Chibi-Robo to SURVIVE!

Vanpool just finished Super Kirby Clash, get them on a Chibi-Robo for Switch, hopefully with ambition and taking the lessons learned from Zip Lash to heart. Skip may still be around but have been way too quiet. Get Kenichi Nishi back!

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
It depends on the particular game, but it can be a factor. NA physical preorders are usually up as soon as a game is announced, but digital preorders are yet to open. That would probably come later in February, and may coincide with a dedicated AC direct.

I'm still skeptical about a general direct this week, but a dedicated AC direct seems like a lock to me. Animal Crossing is a huge series, and considering MM2 got its own dedicated direct, it's not that farfetched to conclude that AC would also get its own.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
I'm still skeptical about a general direct this week, but a dedicated AC direct seems like a lock to me. Animal Crossing is a huge series, and considering MM2 got its own dedicated direct it's not that farfetched to conclude that AC would also get its own.
Makes more sense for general direct followed by AC direct later. I would personally preferred a dedicated AC direct, but I think that comes later. AC won't be excluded from any direct Nintendo hosts before it comes out, so having a general direct with AC segment, then more in depth info on the game in a few weeks makes much more sense and follows the trends set by Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.