• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Tbh I don't think they'll do it. I think they'll stop at 2. Let's say BotW 2 comes out in 2021. The development for a brand new 3D Zelda game will probably take at least 4 years which puts us at 2025. I would think Switch 2 is out by then.
2017: BOTW
2021: BOTW2
2023: Ocarina of Time Remake Definitive Edition
2025: New 3D Zelda launch title for Switch 2

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I'm confused, why are we all now certain that BOTW2 wont make it till 2021?

Also the financial briefings said a new revision wouldn't make it till 2022, and with the increasing trajectory of their sell-through rate this year over last, 2021 would seem a bit early for such am iteration...

so like...where is this info coming from and why are we taking it seriously?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Also the financial briefings said a new revision wouldn't make it till 2022, and with the increasing trajectory of their sell-through rate this year over last, 2021 would seem a bit early for such am iteration...

It's just speculation and depending on the time of the day people think BotW2 is either 2020 or 2021. Check back later and we might be back to 2020.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

People here tend to jump to negative conclusions based on flimsiest of evidence, don't pay attention to it.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

I dont think much has changed really, as we've always collectively had BotW2 as a 2020/2021 release.

The general tone, language and reading between the lines, for me, suggests 2020 is leaning more casual/family with its tentpole titles. But who knows right?

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Nintendogs what now?
It's on the slides from the investor meeting in black and white.

The context is talking about Wii and DS having dedicated types of games on them (Wii Fit, DS Nintendogs) but then that with Switch both of those experiences can sit on the same platform.

It is NOT saying Nintendogs is coming. However, with the Mario Kart team due a release this year (apparently) and then working on Nintendogs in the past... and Nintendos clear strategy to attract broader family audiences... I mean, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Sorry double post - thought it was moving faster.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, I didn't see the need for new hardware this year. Nintendo have a huge system-seller to end their current financial year and which will kick start their next financial year.

They must be confident in whatever software they have lined up for 2020 and early 2021 that it'll keep sales healthy. I could see either a new EPD title/reboot launching in June or 3D World, followed up with Zelda in November, and another major title in March. We could be looking at a new Nintendogs (or a new spin on that idea) as a major year-end title, too - but I don't think Nintendo will rest the entirety of the holiday on something like that. While the first game was a phenomenal success, it's not as proven a quantity as a Zelda or Mario, for example.

So while I can see something like Nintendogs being part of Nintendo's year-end plan, I think they'll have something else to go with it.

I don't think a hardware revision for 2021 is tied to Zelda at all. The hardware revision is reliant on the right parts being available in the right numbers, after all. If Zelda is ready to go this November, it will launch. One other thing Nintendo might do this year is a permanent or temporary price drop - the default Switch will go 3 years plus without a price cut, after all, and a correctly timed price cut is often as effective as launching a big game.

I need to read the full briefing myself (is it up in English?), but I think i saw a tweet about a wider variety of IP on Switch, which is good.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

People are really thirsty for a Direct so any piece of news, even innocuous posts by the few insiders that still bother to frequent this thread, is dissected to the point of senselessness. It's how we got a month's worth of posts about how Nintendo absolutely will and has to do something in this instant right now.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's nor easy to predict what they do in the future, but i'd rather have them making new IP's instead of having a third Zelda for the system. They have proven themselves that they can create new IP's from scratch and make them insanely popular. BotW is a gigantic open world game with lots to do but I want them use the same formula with different and fresh themes. Maybe a sci-fi open world game?
I've mentioned it plenty of times, but it would be a dream of mine to see that "team" make something new.

They likely have ideas that wouldn't fit in the Zelda universe and it would be great to see what they could come up with.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not the best investor meeting for Direct starved fans then...

1. No hardware revision in 2020 makes me seriously question not only BotW2 launching this year but also Nintendo being solely focused on their objective of getting new people in front of their IPs.
2. Alarmed to see Nintendogs mentioned. I was joking when I said Animal Crossing opening and Nintendogs closing 2020, but now I'm genuinely worried.
3. Seems pretty clear to me that 2020 is a year where they are going after the broader market, and itll be 2021 earliest that the core Nintendo market will get the fruits of Nintendos labour.

It makes absolute sense, and it will bring in some serious profit so I cant really argue with it at all. BotW2 and Odyssey 2 really can wait, and 3D World and Nintendogs genuinely would do enough to grow install base significantly.

Is a bit depressing... but they are still throwing us plenty of bones. Xeno, Metroid surely, Paper Mario possibly... but yea, 2020 does not look set to be the repeat of their launch year. That's looking like 2021.

Not sure a gif exists for the moment everyone willing Mario Kart 9 into existence gets served Nintendogs instead...! Hope I'm about that day!
Metroid and paper mario makes it a great year to me!

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not the best investor meeting for Direct starved fans then...

1. No hardware revision in 2020 makes me seriously question not only BotW2 launching this year but also Nintendo being solely focused on their objective of getting new people in front of their IPs.
2. Alarmed to see Nintendogs mentioned. I was joking when I said Animal Crossing opening and Nintendogs closing 2020, but now I'm genuinely worried.
3. Seems pretty clear to me that 2020 is a year where they are going after the broader market, and itll be 2021 earliest that the core Nintendo market will get the fruits of Nintendos labour.

It makes absolute sense, and it will bring in some serious profit so I cant really argue with it at all. BotW2 and Odyssey 2 really can wait, and 3D World and Nintendogs genuinely would do enough to grow install base significantly.

Is a bit depressing... but they are still throwing us plenty of bones. Xeno, Metroid surely, Paper Mario possibly... but yea, 2020 does not look set to be the repeat of their launch year. That's looking like 2021.

Not sure a gif exists for the moment everyone willing Mario Kart 9 into existence gets served Nintendogs instead...! Hope I'm about that day!

This is a really pessimist view. No way Nintendo's biggest fall game is a WiiU remaster.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Yeah, I didn't see the need for new hardware this year. Nintendo have a huge system-seller to end their current financial year and which will kick start their next financial year.

They must be confident in whatever software they have lined up for 2020 and early 2021 that it'll keep sales healthy. I could see either a new EPD title/reboot launching in June or 3D World, followed up with Zelda in November, and another major title in March. We could be looking at a new Nintendogs (or a new spin on that idea) as a major year-end title, too - but I don't think Nintendo will rest the entirety of the holiday on something like that. While the first game was a phenomenal success, it's not as proven a quantity as a Zelda or Mario, for example.

So while I can see something like Nintendogs being part of Nintendo's year-end plan, I think they'll have something else to go with it.

I don't think a hardware revision for 2021 is tied to Zelda at all. The hardware revision is reliant on the right parts being available in the right numbers, after all. If Zelda is ready to go this November, it will launch. One other thing Nintendo might do this year is a permanent or temporary price drop - the default Switch will go 3 years plus without a price cut, after all, and a correctly timed price cut is often as effective as launching a big game.

I need to read the full briefing myself (is it up in English?), but I think i saw a tweet about a wider variety of IP on Switch, which is good.
Yep, agree with this. A few additional thoughts too:

Animal Crossing is going to fly off the shelves and bring in a lot of new players and broaden the casual audience on Switch. Nintendogs is genuinely the perfect title to follow up with 6 months or so later.

BotW2 with a hardware revision makes too much sense. They dont need to launch it sooner, the sales figures on BotW are strong, as is the hardware.

Also, people forget Majoras Mask technically came after a revision too. That's not to say it's similar, or a rule, but you can just imagine the plethora of new ideas that development team generated when the sequel was greenlit. A bit of extra power to deliver it in full is not a big ask. N64 needed MM a heck of a lot more than Switch needs BotW2, too!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Yep, agree with this. A few additional thoughts too:

Animal Crossing is going to fly off the shelves and bring in a lot of new players and broaden the casual audience on Switch. Nintendogs is genuinely the perfect title to follow up with 6 months or so later.

BotW2 with a hardware revision makes too much sense. They dont need to launch it sooner, the sales figures on BotW are strong, as is the hardware.

Also, people forget Majoras Mask technically came after a revision too. That's not to say it's similar, or a rule, but you can just imagine the plethora of new ideas that development team generated when the sequel was greenlit. A bit of extra power to deliver it in full is not a big ask. N64 needed MM a heck of a lot more than Switch needs BotW2, too!
Alright, now consider a possibility.

What if Switch "Pro" literally doesn't exist?

You're placing way too much importance on a hypothetical hardware revision.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It's on the slides from the investor meeting in black and white.

The context is talking about Wii and DS having dedicated types of games on them (Wii Fit, DS Nintendogs) but then that with Switch both of those experiences can sit on the same platform.

It is NOT saying Nintendogs is coming. However, with the Mario Kart team due a release this year (apparently) and then working on Nintendogs in the past... and Nintendos clear strategy to attract broader family audiences... I mean, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Sorry double post - thought it was moving faster.
Cool cool. My siblings and I loved Nintendogs as kids. Would be a great addition to the platform for kids and pet fans. Though I feel like a mobile version would have a bigger impact.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest tragedy of a 2021 botw2 is that it means there likely won't be a Zelda ready for the launch of Switch's successor. A Zelda game is demonstrably the best way to launch Nintendo hardware.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
This is a really pessimist view. No way Nintendo's biggest fall game is a WiiU remaster.
Its genuinely not meant to be pessimistic.

I'm talking about titles to drive install base - which is 100% Nintendos priority.

We will still have Metroid and Paper Mario - at least it seems - and I still expect some sort of Splatoon spin off, maybe a Mario sports game or maybe a DK. Bayonetta 3 has a good chance too, youd think.

Besides, BotW2 slipping out of 2020 is no more pessimistic than BotW2 being in 2020 is being optimistic! It's 50/50 at best?!

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
First look at AC Japanese icon
img-game-icon.png

Can't wait for that sweet preload. I suppose it will come around Japanese preorders... and the upcoming Direct <^!^>

Nov 3, 2017
The notion of Nintendo delaying BotW 2 to coincide with a prospective Switch 2 seems like pure clownery to me. They would've developed this game with base hardware in mind and can always patch it later a la PS4 Pro and XBOX

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that yesterday?
Either way, my point still stands. Why send it as a single announcement?
Iirc the Pokemon switches were first shown on a direct, why wasn't this one?
the meeting was like 8 hours ago right after they revealed it. And Not everything has to be announced in a Direct. Last year for example, Nintendo tweeted out the release date of Yoshi's Crafted World and a few weeks later had a general direct that that announcement could've been in.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The pessimism is real.

And that is, even before the very first direct of the year, over data from the last quarter about excellent sales.

Success clearly means what's coming will be terrible.

The "no new hardware this year = doom" doesn't make one bit of a sense.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Alright, now consider a possibility.

What if Switch "Pro" literally doesn't exist?

You're placing way too much importance on a hypothetical hardware revision.
The tone, language and reading between the lines suggests that the "Switch family of consoles" will grow. The mention of both DS and 3DS for context, in a meeting with investors, sets expectations too. Sure, it doesn't mean a PRO model - it could actually be simply a model where the Joy Con work properly...! It is very clear that revisions will come though, and I'd expect a variant with more power.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The tone, language and reading between the lines suggests that the "Switch family of consoles" will grow. The mention of both DS and 3DS for context, in a meeting with investors, sets expectations too. Sure, it doesn't mean a PRO model - it could actually be simply a model where the Joy Con work properly...! It is very clear that revisions will come though, and I'd expect a variant with more power.
As you yourself note, a new Switch model could be a number of things.

I myself believe we'll see a more powerful Switch at some point, but in no way is it an absolute certainty. Tying it BotW 2 when it may not even be coming next year doesn't really sound that convincing to me.

Why BotW 2 in particular? Is it that inconceivable to imagine some other title fulfilling that role? Perhaps the hallowed Metroid Prime 4? That sure seems like a title that could gain something from being a showcase, as opposed to a mass-market title like BotW 2.

Hell, I'd argue any given "miracle port" coming out at the time would be a pretty good showcase to show off a Switch "Pro".

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
That pre-direct drama is going to look even funnier in a few days/weeks.

I would almost love to see the next direct not mention any big game first party that could happen for the holiday just to see the reactions.

...almost.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I've mentioned it plenty of times, but it would be a dream of mine to see that "team" make something new.

They likely have ideas that wouldn't fit in the Zelda universe and it would be great to see what they could come up with.

Exactly! I always thought the fairy tale setting of LoZ is limiting the devs, they need something fresh to outdo themselves.

But for some reason new IPs are not that popular around here.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of a new Zelda, just make a sequel to Marvelous! It almost had one with Four Swords Adventures in Japan, before they changed that mode into Tetra's Trackers.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm shocked nobody saw that !

In last indie direct, there was no Zelda indie ! (Also meaning it was pointless of course)
Clearly that means the botw new game is delayed to 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.