• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
FrankFabulousJumpingbean-size_restricted.gif

I honestly don't expect Platinum to put their self-funded stuff on Switch so unless Nintendo is just allowing them to publish but keeping the rights that's what I see happening.
Imagine ruining your relationship with nintendo over bomba 101

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If PlatinumGames asked to buy the Wonderful 101 IP from Nintendo so that they could publish it on every platform but Switch Nintendo would probably refuse to play ball.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If I was an insider, I'd leak the correct things about a game but then completely make up a crazy story as to how I heard it so that when it came real people would be like "what the fuck"

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, why would they do that ?
They have a great relationship with Nintendo, and we shouldn't expect their self-published games to be AAA.
I don't see why it couldn't/wouldn't be on Switch.

Platinum's thing is spectacle, and whilst I'm sure they're happy to do that within the confines of Nintendo platforms when Nintendo is funding it, they won't want to be held back when they've got freedom of choice.

that's pretty much impossible. it might be a bomb, but why would Nintendo sell Platinum their ownership of W101?

I'm not sure they would but I think if Platinum were buying the publishing rights(if not the IP) a multiplatform release would be idea.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
I found out about Arlo through this site, I think probably around last E3. I don't always agree with him but for the most part I think his videos are very entertaining. I like his channel cuz it is different. I just found out he's going to PAX East next month and it'll be my first time going, so tbh I'm super excited about possibly getting to meet him and take a pic with the puppet!

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
It should make more sense soon enough.

Like I said two months ago:
  • Nintendo had very little interest in publishing a W101 port.
  • Platinum has been looking for a way to release W101 port without Nintendo's involvement.
To be clear: W101 isn't one of the two Wii U ports that I was hinting at.

I sure hope this W101 situation doesn't affect Nintendo's relationship with Platinum - their collaborations really enhace the Switch & WiiU library.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they would but I think if Platinum were buying the publishing rights(if not the IP) a multiplatform release would be idea.
nah, they just want the game on the switch. they're not stupid enough to ask for impossible things. Nintendo is one of their biggest customers, they're not gonna overstep their boundaries

Zg9

Jan 18, 2020
It should make more sense soon enough.

Like I said two months ago:
  • Nintendo had very little interest in publishing a W101 port.
  • Platinum has been looking for a way to release W101 port without Nintendo's involvement.
To be clear: W101 isn't one of the two Wii U ports that I was hinting at.
Would W101 keep its exclusive even if Nintendo isn't involved?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum's thing is spectacle, and whilst I'm sure they're happy to do that within the confines of Nintendo platforms when Nintendo is funding it, they won't want to be held back when they've got freedom of choice.
I doubt it's even a matter of choice for them. Sure, I imagine they'd prefer it if every one of their titles ran at a consistent 60 FPS at the very least, but none of Platinum's PS4/XBO titles have been lookers. They're just never given that impressive of a budget because their games are almost never worthy of that investment. I doubt their self-publishing titles will be powerhouses.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Assasins creed unity leaked because someone overheard in a bar, right? Or it was a plane?
The last tomb raider part was also leaked because someone was working on slides in a public space...so...

It's a co own IP, between PlatinumGames and Nintendo.
So yes. Unless Nintendo sell the IP, but it's not happening, no point for Nintendo doing that.
Shure?
If they are not interested in it, and are intereested in a good relationship with platinum, they could give this one to Kamija for some money they got from Tencent?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I can see Platinum self-publishing W101 on Switch, but man that's really sad. That's their best game imo.

Even sadder when Nintendo gave TMS a second chance.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I can see Platinum self-publishing W101 on Switch, but man that's really sad. That's their best game imo.

Even sadder when Nintendo gave TMS a second chance.
I love love love both TMS and TW101... But yeah I never expected Nintendo to publish TMS, and to ignore TW101.
Both are products that are hard to sell in western countries that aren't France (one is a game about the idol culture, the other is a game about Super Sentai), but TW101 still seems like the less hard to market.

Persona 5's huge success, Fire Emblem recent success with Awakening, Fates and Heroes, and the upcoming SMT 5 are probably what has lead Nintendo to think that TMS was the safer bet, but I wasn't expecting that (well, I was expecting Nintendo to bring both actually. But if I had to guess that one would not be ported, I would had guess TMS)

jesusraz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh yeah, I agree.

It sounds like I'm complaining, but it's really quite the opposite. I think Switch will go down as Nintendo's best RPG system since the SNES and DS.

And I think that's pretty awesome. I'm glad they're leaning hard into that genre.
I feel like there's going to be a push on the 'Generations' style games, as well. RFA will get some additional content, Brain Training's surprise success will continue with the championship element, and I keep thinking Switch Sports Club will make an appearance, and if that's the case, then it's only a matter of time before nintendogs/cats returns. Then why not throw in some WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven, and Band Brothers for good measure. That's my gut feeling at the moment.

Adam_kun

Jan 23, 2020
I think Emily once said that the first half of 2020 will be heavy on RPG's. Could this mean...
Shin Megami Tensei V !!!!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
Am I the only one that bought Mario maker 2, played it for a weekend, and hasn't touched it since?

Mario Maker was my 3rd favorite game on Wii U, right behind Splatoon & Mario 3D World, and I had 90 hours in it. I was so wow'd by it and enjoyed playing it very, very much...

This release just kinda felt like a port with some cool bonuses. The UI and everything about the game feels the same and I felt like I just booted the Wii U on again. Don't get me wrong.. it's an amazing game and I appreciate it so much, I loved the original so much and it's everything I loved from the original... it's just this time instead of playing a massive 90 hours... it was 5.. wonder if anyone feels the same

I felt similar before rebooting it the Holiday break. It's not the type of game I'll sink quite as much into as on the Wii U but it works really well for brief amusement.

Adam_kun

Jan 23, 2020
To be honest I don't expect SMTV to release first half of the year (I was joking but Atlus do weird things sometimes) but I do see a big trailer happening in the Febuary Direct leading to a September/October release. Atlus teased that game moving into 2020. Still a trailer early this year still fits the RPG heavy first half of 2020 in my book (even if its just a trailer and not a release).
I do actually think the RPG we will get is a new Paper Mario Releasing first half of 2020.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The "most infamous quotes of the industry" thread is hilarious.

Someone on the thread reminded us of the fake Wired interview with Yamauchi from 2005, in which he supposedly said that at a meeting with Ballmer, who had just laugh after hearing the word "yellow", Yamauchi told him in english "why don't you suck my tiny yellow balls, Ballmer ?"
So many websites back then believed that it was a true interview lmao.

"Concerns about Jumpman having a mustach were raised, because he could look like Hitler. But Jumpman is Italian, Italians are hairy, and I said so what if some idiots mistake him for Hitler ?"

This shit was so wild. Fun fake interviews that made a lot of noises back then lol, it makes me rolling to imagine all the websites that reported on it, the interview is so offensive and ridiculously bad lmao

Adam_kun

Jan 23, 2020
I think so. I think the direct is the 6th more than the 13th. There is a Persona 5 scrmable demo that day which I think will be shadow dropped in the japanese direct (Japan get extra content like always)
Also I dont like that idea of having the direct on the 13th again (it annoys me for some reason lol)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The expectations will be extremely high for this next direct (February). Majority will probably be pleased.

It's fun to go in with lots of hype and expectations as long as you know how to manage disappointment.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Finally upgraded my micro sd to a Samsung 512 gig evo plus. So now bring on the direct!

Last edited:

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Interesting that Emily said we'll know what's going on with Wonderful 101 "soon enough". Does that mean it's back in the port pile for 2020, but as a self-published Platinum game?

And for those worrying about Nintendo & Platinum's future relationship, I wouldn't. Bayonetta 3 & Astral Chain went ahead even after all the difficulties of Wii U. They have a good partnership and I expect we'll see some good stuff come from that in the future even as Platinum try to move into self-publishing. Having more Nintendo-funded projects to sell to an enormous Switch user base is a good option when Platinum are taking on more risk through their Tencent funding.

Status
Not open for further replies.