• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of GameCube vs Wii, the answer is pretty obvious. Wii was much better. GameCube gets close at times with great games like Odama and Custom Robo, but Wii has the edge with classics like Sin and Punishment 2 and Captain Rainbow.

Why the denial? Mario vs Donkey Kong on Gameboy Advance was a perfectly worthy successor to 94 and everybody knows that.

Mario vs Donkey Kong was alright, but DK 94 is vastly better.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It still cracks me up how the first Mario vs. Donkey Kong is the complete odd-man out in its own franchise.

It originally started off as a decent enough tribute to DK 94, and then the sequel became a Lemmings clone and then they just never looked back

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Shure shure, i could be totally of base.

But the mass apeal of zelda was always there, the problem was a combination of platform and gameplay.
There was a reason why they rebooted it with botw. (tolkien inspired fantasy, anime inspired artstyle, humans...yeah, mass compatible)

And to be honest, if the game they present is a kinda open world game, with ambition, i could see it selling a lot based on that.
But non human not cute and cartoony artstyle with monkeys would make it probably hard to reach 10M. (not inpossible, but hard)

a 2d Entry? no chance. "D platformer are more of a nieche, wat was the last huge selling 2D platformer (5+) that is not mario?
Isnt TF at 4 million, as an "best game ever" contestant on 2 platforms?
The last 2D platformer to shift more than 5 million was a Donkey Kong reboot. The last non-Mario platformer on Nintendo systems to shift more than 5 million before that was also Donkey Kong.

Different games on different consoles in different decades. I don't see it joining the ranks of the truly huge sellers, but if Nintendo get it right, DK can shift 5 to 10 million copies a time. It's done that as a 2D platformer more than once, as well as when it was a Kart racer and a 3D platformer.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I've seen a lot of sh*t-hot takes and a lot of people taking a hot mess on the floor. How about instead of arguing which console was better, we talk about what was on those consoles we'd like to see on Switch, or what the games from those consoles had that the Switch outings are desperately lacking?
For example, as much as I love BOTW I miss the plethora of memorable tracks from WW or TP. I appreciate what they were trying to do with the ambient soundtrack it just didn't land for me.
Or with Luigi's Mansion 3, despite being GOTY material for me, I just didn't like the ghost design as much as the GC original.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm even more amazed that NST got stuck making Mario Vs. DK games for a whole decade.

It's like they were trapped in a dungeon or something.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
How about instead of arguing which console was better, we talk about what was on those consoles we'd like to see on Switch
Sin & Punishment. Especially 2. At least we'll get the first one with the N64 Switch Online App, but we'll probably never get 2 on any other platform until a far enough future when Wii will be part of their Virtual Console-like service.
Sucks.

Also I hope to see a Fatal Frame on Switch soon. I woud take an HD port of the Wii remake of 2, a port of 5, or a brand new game.
The producer has said work on 6 hasn't started but he really wants a Fatal Frame on Switch. So I hope for either 2 or 5. Or both !

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
A Dragalia Lost console RPG developed by Cygames would be nice but Cygames doesn't seem interested in developing for Switch.
I'm even more amazed that NST got stuck making Mario Vs. DK games for a whole decade.

It's like they were trapped in a dungeon or something.
Project HAMMER did a huge number on their reputation (and their employee count)

They will never reach the heights of their Gamecube days ever again

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Wii's legacy is really tarnished by Nintendo blocking a lot of great games releasing internationally. Comparing the Japanese Wii versus Japanese GCN is a much different beast compared to their US counterparts.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Here's a thought: barring Yoshi's Island (which was also Super Mario World 2), is Donkey Kong the only non-Mario platformer from Nintendo to have sold 5 million or more?

Maybe the original Wario Land did that much? That seemed like a big series. But I don't think Kirby or Yoshi (after Yoshi's Island) have ever managed that.

Edit: have we got a Nintendo software sales thread somewhere?? I'd be interested to see the figures for this.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Sin & Punishment. Especially 2. At least we'll get the first one with the N64 Switch Online App, but we'll probably never get 2 on any other platform until a far enough future when Wii will be part of their Virtual Console-like service.
Sucks.

Also I hope to see a Fatal Frame on Switch soon. I woud take an HD port of the Wii remake of 2, a port of 5, or a brand new game.
The producer has said work on 6 hasn't started but he really wants a Fatal Frame on Switch. So I hope for either 2 or 5. Or both !

I feel like 5 would be more likely to be ported than an HD remake of 2 being made. Of course, I'd love both! Fingers crossed that at least 5 makes it over.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Just because kids who grew up with the game will be nostalgic doesn't invalidate criticism. Skyward Sword has very little that sets it apart from other Zelda games; its artstyle isn't as memorable or distinct as Wind Waker's, the Sky is just a more empty version of Wind Waker's Sea, the dungeons aren't as good as Twilight Princess, the land overworlds are just series of roadblocks with even worse fetchquests than Twilight Princess that are repeated 3 times, etc etc. The only thing truly unique about Skyward Sword are the controls, which are basically just devolve into a game of simon says. Also considering SS is one of the lowest selling 3D Zeldas in history, less people are going to be nostalgic for it compared to other entries. I seriously doubt you'll ever see a sudden "wave" of SS love with that fact in mind, coupled with the already hefty amount of legitimate criticism dished out over the years. BOTW received far more critical acclaim and success at the time of release than SS for good reason.

being a low-selling zelda didn't stop a cult fandom around majora's mask turning it into the secret-best zelda game, and twilight princess becoming the more critically-acclaimed, and best-selling (at the time) zelda game didn't stop the wind waker's fandom from claiming it as the secret-best zelda game either. secret-best because oot or alttp is the 'obvious-best'. i don't think enough time has passed for wii nostalgia to take hold, but give it five years and i'm sure that wii titles will get a lot of love from zoomers and skyward sword will be among them.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
A Dragalia Lost console RPG developed by Cygames would be nice but Cygames doesn't seem interested in developing for Switch.

I'd love a Dragalia game on Switch. The mobile game is really fun! CyGames doesn't have to develop it either, they could potentially outsource it.

And yeah, amazing how NST went from stuff like Wave Race and 1080, to endless Mario vs DK games, to ports. It's a shame.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a thought: barring Yoshi's Island (which was also Super Mario World 2), is Donkey Kong the only non-Mario platformer from Nintendo to have sold 5 million or more?

Maybe the original Wario Land did that much? That seemed like a big series. But I don't think Kirby or Yoshi (after Yoshi's Island) have ever managed that.

Edit: have we got a Nintendo software sales thread somewhere?? I'd be interested to see the figures for this.
www.resetera.com

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

This post won't be updated here anymore. Click here to visit the page where the data will be updated from now on. It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small...

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

Wario Land and Kirby's Dream Land both cracked 5 million

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The failure of Project Hammer sure did a huge number on them

Sadly. Would love to see what a big budget game they could do with their western mindset nowadays.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess which 2D platformer sold over 5 million on Wii not named Mario? Kirby couldn't do it. Wario couldn't do it. Oh it was DK and that's a 2D platformer. I guess DK has to prove himself on Switch tho

3D DK would do 7+ million in today's world. Ideas thrown around like a game like 3D World or spiritual successor to DK64 would work

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
www.resetera.com

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

This post won't be updated here anymore. Click here to visit the page where the data will be updated from now on. It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small...
Thanks! Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wario Land and Kirby's Dream Land are the only non-Mario platformers from Nintendo that sold more than 5 million.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I haven't really followed why everyone was talking about the GC right now, but I have to say that it's the last platform to have had a pretty impressive third party support for the time, outside a few games like GTA. Still got one of the comfiest pads too, and a really impressive hardware for the time despite its weird shape and the disc format.
First party is a mixed bag looking back at it though. Still got some of my favorite games in their respective genre (Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, DK Jungle Beat, Wind Waker, Sunshine, Fire Emblem, etc), some really interesting smaller scale experiments (Doshin, Odama, Chibi-Robo...), but also honestly some games that are easily forgotten (1080, Star Fox, Pokemon...), more in proportion compared to other platforms outside of the NES.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I feel like 5 would be more likely to be ported than an HD remake of 2 being made. Of course, I'd love both! Fingers crossed that at least 5 makes it over.
Yeah 5 is definitely more likely ! It would cost less, and so many people missed on 5, not only because of course Wii U, but because it didn't even released physically in the US. (And even in Europe it was really hard to find, I never saw a copy of the game in store in France in my little town)
But 2 is still THE classic of the franchise, so I could see it happening if we're lucky.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
it's the Yoshi's Island DS to the original game's Yoshi's Island

I still consider Yoshi's Island DS as the best Yoshi game after the original one. GoodFeel games were too easy and New Island was straight up garbage. Only the DS game captured the "brutal but fair" difficulty of the original.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I still consider Yoshi's Island DS as the best Yoshi game after the original one. GoodFeel games were too easy and New Island was straight up garbage. Only the DS game captured the "brutal but fair" difficulty of the original.
they must have broken it while they were capturing it because that game's bad design city

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Guess which 2D platformer sold over 5 million on Wii not named Mario? Kirby couldn't do it. Wario couldn't do it. Oh it was DK and that's a 2D platformer. I guess DK has to prove himself on Switch tho

3D DK would do 7+ million in today's world. Ideas thrown around like a game like 3D World or spiritual successor to DK64 would work

Guess how much Tropical Freeze sold? Not a ton. 2 million. It definitely needs to prove to be a consistent seller.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
GameCube was the first home console I ever owned and Kirby's Air Ride is still one of my favorite games of all time. I have such a huge nostalgic connection to the console. GameCube Nintendo games were my gateway to many of Nintendo's franchises. This is probably the case for many in my age group. I would love some GameCube representation on the Switch.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Not even trolling, Donkey Kong 64 is one of the worst games I have ever played. I am sure many gamers had a similar experience in Christmas '99. Not a coincidence that DK was never a superstar again after that.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Part of me wants Nintendo to bank hard on DK for Christmas 2020 just to see what happens.

But also I'd rather have Zelda this year plsthanks

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
they must have broken it while they were capturing it because that game's bad design city

You people need to take off your nostalgia goggles while playing new games of old series. Yoshi's Island DS was a great Yoshi game and it reviewed pretty well. Not being at the original's level doesn't make it a bad game. It sure is better than anything came after it.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Not even trolling, Donkey Kong 64 is one of the worst games I have ever played. I am sure many gamers had a similar experience in Christmas '99. Not a coincidence that DK was never a superstar again after that.

That just feels more like the result of DK64 being the last major DK platformer made by Rare before the buyout.

With Rare gone, all DK had left were just ports and weird experimental peg climbing/bongo games. Nintendo didn't really know what to do with DK without Rare, that's why the series declined in fame.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DK64 was a childhood favorite of mine.

Even as an adult I still prefer it over most collect-a-thons and find it kinda underrated.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? If Intelligent Systems and HAL Labs just randomly disappeared over night, Fire Emblem and Kirby would more than likely be suffering the same woes DK does.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Do we know how long Monolithsoft's new IP has been developed for? I'm curious when the earliest we would see it.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
You people need to take off your nostalgia goggles while playing new games of old series. Yoshi's Island DS was a great Yoshi game and it reviewed pretty well. Not being at the original's level doesn't make it a bad game. It sure is better than anything came after it.
but if I like Woolly World much better than Yoshi's Island DS, doesn't that mean I'm not wearing nostalgia goggles?? 🤔

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'd put Woolly World ahead of it - the series has a pretty low bar after that though

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
The last 2D platformer to shift more than 5 million was a Donkey Kong reboot. The last non-Mario platformer on Nintendo systems to shift more than 5 million before that was also Donkey Kong.

Different games on different consoles in different decades. I don't see it joining the ranks of the truly huge sellers, but if Nintendo get it right, DK can shift 5 to 10 million copies a time. It's done that as a 2D platformer more than once, as well as when it was a Kart racer and a 3D platformer.
oh okay? i thought they hovered around 2-4M, then i was missinformed. But yeah, that are the biggest platformers there are, and they still didnt sell the huge 5-10M that you would expect of a big holiday title.

Yeah...dont see it. heavily flawed? shure. but alone last year there where a lot games that i would say were as flawed as donkey kong 64 (talking pokemon/fire emblem, one was to barren, the other to full with pointless filler, just like DH 64).
The reviews where not that bad, and all in all the big hate for the game is somethign that is rather new (last view years).

And yeah, i wnat either zelda, or a huge new ip from nintendo this year.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, Mopinks is right. Just because Yoshi's Island DS is better than Yoshi's New Island, doesn't make it a good game. It's still bad. A McDonald's cheeseburger next to the rare steak that's the original Yoshi's Island.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
oh okay? i thought they hovered around 2-4M, then i was missinformed. But yeah, that are the biggest platformers there are, and they still didnt sell the huge 5-10M that you would expect of a big holiday title.
Donkey Kong Country sold over 8 million. Donkey Kong 64 sold over 5 million. Donkey Kong Country Returns sold over 6.5 million. Other DK games sold close to 5 million.

The franchise absolutely has the potential to hit and exceed 5 million if done correctly. The Legend of Zelda has failed to break 5 million units sold more often than it's managed to exceed that milestone. Zelda has hovered in the 2 to 4 million range numerous times. Doesn't mean that the series doesn't have the potential to sell big numbers under the right conditions.

I don't see some mega 15 million plus DK happening. But saying a good DK game released at the right time could exceed 5 million isn't an unreasonable thing to say, at all.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I still think Yoshis Story is underaprechiated.
Gameplay was ok, OST was top tier, artstyle and charme war A+, and it has some weird moments.
Only it is such a stroll, that if you expect a platformer, you will be dissapointed. It is more a 2d level based exploration game.

Donkey Kong Country sold over 8 million. Donkey Kong 64 sold over 5 million. Donkey Kong Country Returns sold over 6.5 million. Other DK games sold close to 5 million.

The franchise absolutely has the potential to hit and exceed 5 million if done correctly. The Legend of Zelda has failed to break 5 million units sold more often than it's managed to exceed that milestone. Zelda has hovered in the 2 to 4 million range numerous times. Doesn't mean that the series doesn't have the potential to sell big numbers under the right conditions.

I don't see some mega 15 million plus DK happening. But saying a good DK game released at the right time could exceed 5 million isn't an unreasonable thing to say, at all.

I never argued against DKC, the sales where great, but that were other times. DK64: well, there werent that many games on the N64.

But yeah, the ~5M is more than i remembered for the DCR series, and you are probably right that the series has more potential.

Zelda: when you compare how much merchendise there is for zelda, it was clear that the marketfor the ip was there, but the games did not match the expectations of that market. With breath of the wild we have the first game i a long time that alligns with the pop culture (and merchendise) presence of zelda.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.