• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
At least we have the investors meeting next week to look forward to!

Sales should be interesting and they may drop some nuggets

Isn't the Mario movie supposed to release this year?
It feels like they'll have nothing to talk about at this investors meeting. Not really any announced upcoming games, other than AC and mystery dungeon. I suppose fighter pass 2 and SwSh expansion passes may be pointed to as upcoming things. Just odd that they didn't announce more before the investors meeting.

FGPack

Jan 19, 2020
Italy
It feels like they'll have nothing to talk about at this investors meeting. Not really any announced upcoming games, other than AC and mystery dungeon. I suppose fighter pass 2 and SwSh expansion passes may be pointed to as upcoming things. Just odd that they didn't announce more before the investors meeting.
I hope they will still bring something, even minor. I would love for infos about XenoblaDE or some big games that we know should come soon but don't know anything yet. Bayonetta 3, SMTV or even BOTW2 just to make some examples. I'm not talking about trailers of course, i mean even some little statement here and there...

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
they'll say they have a lot of games coming that will appeal to everyone etc etc etc the tradition pr talk
even if they had a direct at the same day they wouldn't say muc more.

next week will be fun because they'll release sales numbers etc but the more important meeting is the one that will wrap the 2019-2020 fy

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
next week when we get numbers, pokemon sw/sh and splatoon 2 will join the list of 10 million sellers on switch.

the current list:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 19.01 million
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 15.71 million
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 15.38 million
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 14.54 million
  • Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! - 11.28 million
splatoon and sw/sh's latest numbers:
  • Splatoon 2 - 9.28 million
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield - 6 million

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
next week when we get numbers, pokemon sw/sh and splatoon 2 will join the list of 10 million sellers on switch.

the current list:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 19.01 million
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 15.71 million
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 15.38 million
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 14.54 million
  • Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! - 11.28 million
splatoon and sw/sh's latest numbers:
  • Splatoon 2 - 9.28 million
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield - 6 million

Mario Kart will be the Switch's first 20 million seller :o

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the lead designer for DKCTF had joined them, but he recently left and rejoined retro. the big studio formed by former retro people is Armature Studios which looking at what they've been working on recently, i'm not sure how that worked out for them...

screenshot2020-01-23ajqkl8.png

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
More questions:
  1. Assuming that Animal Crossing and BOTW2 are the highest selling titles of 2020, what will be the third highest? Or what could overtake one of the previous titles in sales?
  2. Assuming both games come to the Switch, which would sell more: Temtem (the spiritual Pokemon successor) or Hytale (the spiritual Minecraft successor)?
  3. Most people assume that BOTW2 and Animal Crossing would get content updates after release, but what other rumored 2020 games could you see getting DLC?
  4. Will we ever see another content update for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?
  5. Will the next game from the Mario Kart team be single player focused, or multiplayer focused?
  6. Will the Switch Pro (if it's real) have any sort of extra gimmick?
  7. Other than Fifa, will we see any more major EA franchises come to the Switch?
  8. Will X-Cloud ever make its way to the Switch?
  9. Other than Animal Crossing, what will be 2020's major multiplayer title?
  10. How will be the Switches total sales when 2020 ends? We're at 41 million sales at last check.

I like this questionnaire games, bring it on.

1. Bayo 3 or SM3DW is it makes it this year. Paper Mario will fail to pass either one of them.
  2. Definitely Temtem. Though we will never know if Temtem comes to Switch as a F2P game.
  3. Bayonetta 3, maybe a story expansion
  4. Nope. It's done.
  5. Next Mario Kart game won't be for Switch 1 and I think it'll go in the line of MK8. Mario Kart will remain casual friendly.
  6. Maybe scrollable/analog triggers
  7. Most definitely. But I think it won't be what we hope for.
  8. Never. xCloud does not require hardware, Nintendo would not allow anything that would render switch hardware useless, especially outside of Japan.
  9. Yet to be announced F2P online game. My wish is MP Hunters Online, but I see it being something like Sub Wars or Tank Troopers
  10. Between 67-72m.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
You never know. One day a Detective Pikachu trailer just dropped out of no where.
No, if you follow the Hollywood trade sites, you know when a movie begins production. It's rare that a movie's production can go under the radar. We knew that Legendary and TPC were serious about Detective Pikachu sometime in 2016 or 2017 iirc.
the lead designer for DKCTF had joined them, but he recently left and rejoined retro. the big studio formed by former retro people is Armature Studios which looking at what they've been working on recently, i'm not sure how that worked out for them...

Oof, yeah, Armature hasn't gotten a big contract in a while

Apparently they do Fortnite support work, though, which probably brings in good revenue

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Looks like it's going to be a February Direct afterall... And it looks like 13 is going to our lucky number ;)

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I like this questionnaire games, bring it on.

1. Bayo 3 or SM3DW is it makes it this year. Paper Mario will fail to pass either one of them.
  2. Definitely Temtem. Though we will never know if Temtem comes to Switch as a F2P game.
  3. Bayonetta 3, maybe a story expansion
  4. Nope. It's done.
  5. Next Mario Kart game won't be for Switch 1 and I think it'll go in the line of MK8. Mario Kart will remain casual friendly.
  6. Maybe scrollable/analog triggers
  7. Most definitely. But I think it won't be what we hope for.
  8. Never. xCloud does not require hardware, Nintendo would not allow anything that would render switch hardware useless, especially outside of Japan.
  9. Yet to be announced F2P online game. My wish is MP Hunters Online, but I see it being something like Sub Wars or Tank Troopers
  10. Between 67-72m.

For five, I'm not saying Mario Kart. I'm talking about the team who made it. No way they're silent until the Switch 2.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
More questions:
  1. Assuming that Animal Crossing and BOTW2 are the highest selling titles of 2020, what will be the third highest? Or what could overtake one of the previous titles in sales? 3D World
  2. Assuming both games come to the Switch, which would sell more: Temtem (the spiritual Pokemon successor) or Hytale (the spiritual Minecraft successor)? Temtem
  3. Most people assume that BOTW2 and Animal Crossing would get content updates after release, but what other rumored 2020 games could you see getting DLC? BotW2
  4. Will we ever see another content update for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? No
  5. Will the next game from the Mario Kart team be single player focused, or multiplayer focused? Multiplayer
  6. Will the Switch Pro (if it's real) have any sort of extra gimmick? No
  7. Other than Fifa, will we see any more major EA franchises come to the Switch? No
  8. Will X-Cloud ever make its way to the Switch? I could see it
  9. Other than Animal Crossing, what will be 2020's major multiplayer title? Mario 3D World
  10. How will be the Switches total sales when 2020 ends? We're at 41 million sales at last check.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
More questions:
  1. Assuming that Animal Crossing and BOTW2 are the highest selling titles of 2020, what will be the third highest? Or what could overtake one of the previous titles in sales?
  2. Assuming both games come to the Switch, which would sell more: Temtem (the spiritual Pokemon successor) or Hytale (the spiritual Minecraft successor)?
  3. Most people assume that BOTW2 and Animal Crossing would get content updates after release, but what other rumored 2020 games could you see getting DLC?
  4. Will we ever see another content update for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?
  5. Will the next game from the Mario Kart team be single player focused, or multiplayer focused?
  6. Will the Switch Pro (if it's real) have any sort of extra gimmick?
  7. Other than Fifa, will we see any more major EA franchises come to the Switch?
  8. Will X-Cloud ever make its way to the Switch?
  9. Other than Animal Crossing, what will be 2020's major multiplayer title?

1. Detective Pikachu's port, if that lands this year.
2. Temtem but that's more because I've never heard of Hytale
3. The World Begins With You: Final ReWIND
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is donezo at this point. More likely to see Mario Kart 9, and even the chances of that are slim IMO.
5. I could see the MK team being given the chance to go single-player, but my guess is we'll get something primarily single player with simple local multiplayer options.
6. Nah, no gimmicks with the Switch Pro outside of maybe an updated Pro Controller.
7. EA will probably bring more if its smaller experimental games over but they're allergic to ports of old games. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a kid-friendly Switch Star Wars game in the works though.
8. Nah, probably Nintendo's next system once the Series X has gotten its userbase.
9. Splatoon 3 or a heavily advertised third party port.
10. 60 mil, I'm confident in Animal Crossing boosting things but that's about it.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Oof, two problems. I already listed BOTW2 on the second option, and I should have specified that I meant online multiplayer for 9.

EDIT: Hytale's reveal trailer currently has 56 million views and counting, and an active fan base despite not being out yet. It's no slouch.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I distinctively remember when Microsoft announced ReCore as "from the devs of Metroid Prime" when all the lead devs stayed at Retro lol.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I forgot when the next general Direct is happening maybe an insider here can remind me thanks in advance

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Surprised to see people posting such low predictions for Switch's total sales by the end of 2020. Are you guys maybe mistaking where Switch was at the last time we got figures?

41.67 million as of September 31st 2019
So Switch's October through December sales aren't in that figure, which is an important point to remember when estimating the end of 2020 total.

That means right now Switch is multiple millions above that 41.67m figure. Based on 2017 and 2018's fourth quarter shipments, it's safe to say Switch shipped something like 7 to 9 million in the last 3 months (possibly more).

In all probability, Switch is around the 49 to 51 million mark by December 31st 2019 - we'll know next week when the sales update comes in from Nintendo. That means, for those of you putting out estimates in the 50 millions or at 60 million, that you're expecting Switch to shift not much more than 10 million in 2020. In other words, you expect Switch sales to halve year over year.

Does anybody want to guess again?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see people posting such low predictions for Switch's total sales by the end of 2020. Are you guys maybe mistaking where Switch was at the last time we got figures?

41.67 million as of September 31st 2019
So Switch's October through December sales aren't in that figure, which is an important point to remember when estimating the end of 2020 total.

That means right now Switch is multiple millions above that 41.67m figure. Based on 2017 and 2018's fourth quarter shipments, it's safe to say Switch shipped something like 7 to 9 million in the last 3 months (possibly more).

In all probability, Switch is around the 49 to 51 million mark by December 31st 2019 - we'll know next week when the sales update comes in from Nintendo. That means, for those of you putting out estimates in the 50 millions or at 60 million, that you're expecting Switch to shift not much more than 10 million in 2020. In other words, you expect Switch sales to halve year over year.

Does anybody want to guess again?

Yeah Switch will definitely top 2019 sales in 2020, especially if Switch Pro is real. I expect a surprising 22 million units in just one year! This will be the year Nintendo targets the expanded audience, we're getting games that are never been on a Nintendo platform like Halo or BioShock, this is the year it'll be more than just a Nintendo handheld.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah Switch will definitely top 2019 sales in 2020, especially if Switch Pro is real. I expect a surprising 22 million units in just one year! This will be the year Nintendo targets the expanded audience, we're getting games that are never been on a Nintendo platform like Halo or BioShock, this is the year it'll be more than just a Nintendo handheld.
Nothing wrong with being just a handheld - DS had higher annual sales totals than any other system, even if it fell short of PS2's lifetime total in the end. I'd be surprised if we ever see Switch shift 25 to 30 million in a single year, or exceed 150 million lifetime - and DS managed both those things. Looking at the data, DS's success was insane - it probably would have overtaken PS2 if Nintendo hadn't needed to rescue 3DS. DS shipped over 19 million units every calendar year from 2006 through 2010, and for 2007, 2008 and 2009, it shipped 29 to 31 million units each calendar year. That's insane.

22 million in 2020 seems reasonable for Switch, though, assuming sales lift again and taking 2020 as the peak year. I'm assuming 20 to 22 million, even without a Pro model.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Man, BotW was my first Zelda ever and made me a fan of the franchise.

Also loved the Links Awakening remake.

Im always wishing that Nintendo decide to port Wind Waker to the Switch :| (all Zelda main games, actually)

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Im always wishing that Nintendo decide to port Wind Waker to the Switch :| (all Zelda main games, actually)
You should play A Link to the Past asap, especially if you liked Link's Awakening. It's the first game I replayed on the Switch SNES app and I'd say it's aged really well.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019

I'm the same never played a Zelda before switch and seeing videos of wind waker I really want to play it but can't :(
Hopefully they bring it over at some point

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine starting with the best game in the series and then accidentally playing a game as bad as Wind Waker? Would completely ruin the franchise for you.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm with you. The game was not great (with respect to other zelda games). The characterization of Ganondorf was great, and the temple of time sequence was great, but that is about it. Exploring the world was bad. The dungeons were bad. Combat and things were exactly the same as the titles that released before and after it (playing as normal link anyway). I don't understand why everyone thinks so highly of wind waker.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I'm with you. The game was not great (with respect to other zelda games). The characterization of Ganondorf was great, and the temple of time sequence was great, but that is about it. Exploring the world was bad. The dungeons were bad. Combat and things were exactly the same as the titles that released before and after it (playing as normal link anyway). I don't understand why everyone thinks so highly of wind waker.
Sure exploring got a little tedious but that was largely fixed with the Wii U release. The worst thing about the dungeons were that there weren't enough of them. Combat was noticeably better than OoT/MM, the only thing that could have been better would be an attack for downed enemies (which they added in TP).

The music was gorgeous too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of WW was that there wasn't enough of it. Which isn't really the worst criticism in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.