• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Zippo :( We appreciate what you said, but I totally get it if you go off the grid or something.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, really? I've only heard good things about it on Era. I actually bought the Collector's Edition last July knowing nothing of this series lol. This is pretty disappointing.

I should say strategy games are something of my forte, but more RTS really. I dont mind a tough difficulty.
Honestly if you have the means and haven't played Shadows of Valentia or conquest i'd sell three houses and get one of those two. Then thank god you didn't waste your time with 3 houses.
Fates and Echoes are much more divisive games.
The Story in Fates is just trash and in Echoes they didn't change anything about the maps from the NES version so those those feel very unbalanced.
I don't think this is good advice.
Three Houses is a game for multiple playthroughs either way because each house is another route.
So if it feels too easy you can try a higher difficulty on the next route.
But I would also agree that Normal is pretty easy, even with classic mode.
I should have started on hard too, I set the game aside wehn Astral Chain came out, need to get back to it.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I mean, the GX video isn't too "deep", but it's fun listening to them gushing over Paper Mario especially. The video's less about the rumour itself and more about what a potential game could be like, and I think that's fair.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
The GX video seems harmless. It's just them saying, "If these rumors are true, what would you like to see in the game?"

Also, of course a Nintendo-focused channel reported on high-profile rumors spreading around the internet. What did people expect?

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
I'm not an expert on this but.. pre-orders of Animal Crossing NH should start before or in the first week of Feb don't?

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I wouldn't put Luigi's Mansion and Mario Odyssey in the same list as those other games, which all have serious flaws; botw or not.
Interesting you highlight those two. Odyssey and LM3 were only flawed because their development teams weren't given the extra time they required - so they are both different to the others.

As you have said in a layer post, it absolutely doesn't mean any of these are bad games - far from it actually.

In the case of these 2 though, it does mean you end up with a Mario game that is missing at least a couple of ingredients, is guilty of some terrible time sinks and loses that spark of magic, and a Luigi's Mansion that whilst the best in the series, got very repetitive a little too quickly and for all the amazing level design, failed to deliver the gameplay.

Take the Luncheon Kingdom for example. Why did the backdrops for the level have so little detail? And why so many pointless Moons?! And LM3 - why did it take so many floors before a new gameplay feature was introduced, but then that new feature turns out to do basically nothing as it "plays itself". Not to mention the obscurity of the film set level, which is a prime example of a rushed gameplay design.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's because there is no upcoming Switch MH game and there's never going to be.
Switch 2 might get a MH World port.
I didn't actually hear anything about the event.
I'm starting to doubt there's going to be a Monster Hunter for the Switch.
So what is NeXt then ? We should wait until this actually gets revealed before saying there's no MH Switch. We legit know they're working on Monster Hunter "NeXt". It's a thing that got officially hinted at, we're waiting for it. It might not be Switch, but at least we know there's a game that is going to be revealed sometimes in a near future.
Also King Zell said there's a MH Switch (if the "NeXt" hint wasn't enough), trust him.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is NeXt then ? We should wait until this actually gets revealed before saying there's no MH Switch. We legit know they're working on Monster Hunter "NeXt". It's a thing that got officially hinted at, we're waiting for it. It might not be Switch, but at least we know there's a game that is going to be revealed sometimes in a near future.
Also King Zell said there's a MH Switch (if the "NeXt" hint wasn't enough), trust him.
yeah, I know Zell has hinted it. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't believe for a second modern Capcom is making an exclusive AAA Switch project.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Sad that GX focused more on Sabi, the leecher, rather than Zippo who is the original source. Silver lining is that the uninformed fans will most likely leave Zippo alone.

Speaking about the video, I do like that lost of it was them gushing about Paper Mario. The first two (three) games really are special.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Would Metroid be announced before E3 or at E3? I would love for it to be soon as possible just to have confirmation but I can see them waiting until June just like Samus Returns.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well.... next gen consoles are releasing this year.
yeah, I know Zell has hinted it. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't believe for a second modern Capcom is making an exclusive AAA Switch project.

Nah man, they're going to start taking it seriously 4 years into its life when the platforms they've been concentrating on are launching successors.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
We will hear about at least one of these things (assuming rumors are true) before E3:

Paper Mario
2D Metroid
BOTW2

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't actually hear anything about the event.
I'm starting to doubt there's going to be a Monster Hunter for the Switch.

The only way they'll get me in the franchise is to create a Switch game with plenty of whatever magic dust / QOL improvements they made for World. I'd love it if Capcom didn't plan for a Switch exclusive game, but rather planned a Switch version in the next major release. A cross platform experience would be great. Prolly wont happen tho *shrug*

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
While Capcom's treatment of the Switch (only one new release, plus price gouging with some releases) makes me doubt a Switch-exclusive Monster Hunter is coming, I wouldn't rule it out yet.

The generational transition means a short spell of uncertainty, which makes me think a World sequel is still a few years away. There's a window in the next year or two for a Switch version while the system is at its peak, the older PS/Xbox decline and the new systems build up a user base. I do think if Capcom are bringing MH to Switch, we'll see it this year (reveal, not necessarily launch).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Interesting you highlight those two. Odyssey and LM3 were only flawed because their development teams weren't given the extra time they required - so they are both different to the others.

As you have said in a layer post, it absolutely doesn't mean any of these are bad games - far from it actually.

In the case of these 2 though, it does mean you end up with a Mario game that is missing at least a couple of ingredients, is guilty of some terrible time sinks and loses that spark of magic, and a Luigi's Mansion that whilst the best in the series, got very repetitive a little too quickly and for all the amazing level design, failed to deliver the gameplay.

Take the Luncheon Kingdom for example. Why did the backdrops for the level have so little detail? And why so many pointless Moons?! And LM3 - why did it take so many floors before a new gameplay feature was introduced, but then that new feature turns out to do basically nothing as it "plays itself". Not to mention the obscurity of the film set level, which is a prime example of a rushed gameplay design.

I think that I see what you mean.
The main difference that I make between the flaws which you point in Luigi or Mario Odyssey and the flaws which I believe exist in the other games previously cited, is that for the former, a counter argument could be sometimes made pointing at a design choice rather than an intrinsic flaw. To take the example of the countless moons in Odyssey; one may see it as a way to reduce the gatekeeping of the levels to avoid frustrating less skilled players (like young kids for example) and give them a sense of progression, while hiding other moons much better allows the higher skilled players to be rewarded for their effort. You may not like it (I don't really like it myself), and it may be a lazy way to make the game more accessible, but I can clearly see someone arguing otherwise in good faith.
Regarding Mario party, or Mario tennis, arguing against their lack of content takes a much higher degree of bad faith, in my opinion. The core gameplay of those games may be good, but they clearly felt undercooked in some key aspects. Similarly, you won't find many people to argue that the fluctuating frame rate of Link's Awakening is a feature (even people from this topic didn't try). I can give you that Yoshi/Kirby don't have this kind of glaring flaws (though 30fps Kirby isn't really a good look), but both entries felt so... Conservative, and overall inferior to many of the previous entries in their respective series, that I still feel bothered to see them in a list alongside Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion which flaws are in my opinion more subtle and could sometimes be related as personal preferences (not all obviously; those games aren't perfect either).

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Sad that GX focused more on Sabi, the leecher, rather than Zippo who is the original source. Silver lining is that the uninformed fans will most likely leave Zippo alone.

Just to be clear, we made an intentional effort to cover Zippo first and mentioned that Sabi's Paper Mario statement was in support of the Zippo's claim; if we focused more on Sabi it's purely because they had more to say in relation to both subjects

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Just to be clear, we made an intentional effort to cover Zippo first and mentioned that Sabi's Paper Mario statement was in support of the Zippo's claim; if we focused more on Sabi it's purely because they had more to say in relation to both subjects

Ah, ok. That clears that up. I apologize if I seemed rude. It was not my intention to criticize you guys. I was just expressing frustration at Sabi piggybacking on another rumor.

Keep up the good job GX!

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Oh, seems like Capcom's MH event has gone by without any Switch stuff - as expected...
Yeah, they revealed a road map for Icebrone, looks content heavy too. If there is a new MH game for Switch I don't think it will get announced until E3 at the earliest or TGS the latest. After that...I will genuinely give up on the thought of a brand new MH game on Switch similar to Persona 5 coming to Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good sign GameXplain discussed the Paper Mario and 2D Metroid rumor. This means good things because they don't talk about all rumors

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm surprised at people being surprised that a popular YouTube channel would comment on information apparently not baseless shared on a public forum.
If it's a matter of who said what, who cares? There are no prize to earn for leaking stuff, besides some internet clout and potentially some people under NDA being caught?

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil

Multiple efforts to keep our Zippo hidden, nice!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Since we're on the "leaker" topic, for those that still believe Vergeben...
Viewtiful Joe 3 is still in development as far as I know.
And may being developed with the MT Framework engine since I know there's about 4 or 5 games were being made with it, all of which are games also being developed for Switch.
doubt.jpg
Oh, seems like Capcom's MH event has gone by without any Switch stuff - as expected...
Yep sadly. Oh well, I guess it's hoping for a Direct announcement like most MH games on Nintendo platforms now...

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

doubt.jpg

Yep sadly. Oh well, I guess it's hoping for a Direct announcement like most MH games on Nintendo platforms now...
The MT framework mention is interesting since it would be the only way to see Capcom games on Switch. The RE engine games having all skipped the platform.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

doubt.jpg

Capcom releases 2 games a year. They wouldn't have the bandwidth for 4 MT Framework games on Switch in additional to all their other games.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have we discussed this yet?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/corocoro_comic_teases_animal_crossing_new_horizons_scoop

It could be nothing, but it could also signal a Direct, Animal Crossing or otherwise, happening sometime around that date, since I can't imagine Nintendo's going to let CoroCoro of all things do the heavy lifting in revealing info about NH, and it's dubious they'd be covering anything we've already heard about halfway through February.
That's for February 15. We're going to get a general direct before that anyways.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Since the Direct has eluded us for longer than expected I can still make this fun little questionaire for 2020 in general:

Will Nintendo reveal gameplay for the next 3D Mario game?

Will Donkey Kong Country return?

Will the next Paper Mario game score above 85 Metacritic on average?

Will Doug Bowser make another Bowser joke?

Will PlatinumGames announce an expansion pass for Bayonetta 3?

Will a Nintendo-published game be nominated for The Game Awards GOTY?

Will a third-party character become playable in Super Mario Maker 2?

Will Shigeru Miyamoto make a guest appearance at Ubisoft's E3 2020 press conference?

Will a first-party character join the fight in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 this year?

Will Nintendo announce and release a major new IP for both retail and digital? (Think Splatoon or Astral Chain, $60 retail with pretty graphics)

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will Donkey Kong Country return? No.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Since the Direct has eluded us for longer than expected I can still make this fun little questionaire:

Will Nintendo reveal gameplay for the next 3D Mario game?

Will Donkey Kong Country return?

Will the next Paper Mario game score above 85 Metacritic on average?

Will Doug Bowser make another Bowser joke?

Will PlatinumGames announce an expansion pass for Bayonetta 3?

Will a Nintendo-published game be nominated for The Game Awards GOTY?

Will a third-party character become playable in Super Mario Maker 2?

Will Shigeru Miyamoto make a guest appearance at Ubisoft's E3 2020 press conference?

Will a first-party character join the fight in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 this year?

Will Nintendo announce and release a major new IP for both retail and digital?
In order:

No.

No.

Fucking please.

Not if he knows what's good for him.

Everything has an expansion pass, but I'll say no anyway.

Yes.

No.

Sure, why not? And people will read into it excessively again!

Definitely. Very definitely. Nintendo have shown that there's no way they're letting an all third-party pass slide.

Probably, though it depends on how major we're talking.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A new Donkey Kong Country would legitimately make my year. I feel like there's so much awesome untapped potential for this series. Animal Buddies is something I really want more of. Enguarde, Squitter, Rattly and the others could make for cool unique gameplay, and it would also be great to see some new Animal Buddies added to the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.