• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would nintendo allow then to work on other game, when they can put out a sales juggernaut?
It doesnt make sense
Your post makes no sense. Nintendo's teams have made other games. Some of the Animal Crossing people made Splatoon. Mario Kart team made ARMS. I don't think Nintendo believed ARMS would be doing Mario Kart numbers.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
That's a lot riding on the rumor mill. Only realistic to believe at least a couple of those aren't actually going to happen in 2020. If we got all that, 2020 would probably be the best year easily.

Xenoblade, Mystery Dungeon, and Animal Crossing are already confirmed, 3D World and Pikmin 3 ports have been rumored for a while now. BOTW2 is probably the big holiday game. Paper Mario and 2D Metroid are logical choices for this year, even without the rumors. The official Splatoon account has been teasing something. New IP's are always coming out. BOTW2 and Animal Crossing will easily sell ten million copies each if they're good games, which I have no doubts they will be.

My list is perfectly realistic.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
It's the beginning of a new week and more disappointed Nintendo fans who put their hope in a new Direct, only to be dash.

Who's ready to get their hearts broken?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It's the beginning of a new week and more disappointed Nintendo fans who put their hope in a new Direct, only to be dash.

Who's ready to get their hearts broken?

No heartbreak because a month of Fire Emblem just kicked in! Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore just came out. We got everyone's favorite Byleth coming to Smash soon. And it all culminates will the release of the new Three Houses DLC! The only thing that can make it better is if we get a Fire Emblem Direct this week. And also next week.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Y'know. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but... didn't the Byleth reveal in the Smash Presentation seem an awful lot like it was meant to be in a General Direct, right down to keeping you in suspense as to what the trailer was for until the invitation was shown?

Why would they move it to a Smash standalone video and ruin the surprise, if there was a Direct coming next month for them to put it in...? They could have just dropped Byleth later in February, instead, and it wouldn't have made a difference to their deadline. So for me, that either means they're revealing another Smash DLC character next month and didn't want to book-end the Direct with Smash reveals again, orrrrr there wasn't a Direct in February to put the trailer in. Curious.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but... didn't the Byleth reveal in the Smash Presentation seem an awful lot like it was meant to be in a General Direct, right down to keeping you in suspense as to what the trailer was for until the invitation was shown?

Why would they move it to a Smash standalone video and ruin the surprise, if there was a Direct coming next month for them to put it in...? They could have just dropped Byleth later in February, instead, and it wouldn't have made a difference to their deadline. So for me, that either means they're revealing another Smash DLC character next month and didn't want to book-end the Direct with Smash reveals again, orrrrr there wasn't a Direct in February to put the trailer in. Curious.
another option: Sakurai was really, really serious about keeping this one a secret and putting it in a standard Direct would've let more people in on the secret

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
another option: Sakurai was really, really serious about keeping this one a secret and putting it in a standard Direct would've let more people in on the secret
Ooh, you're right, that would make a lot of sense. I wonder when the decision to do that was made, though, given the composition of the trailer. Or maybe he just figured the venue didn't matter enough to attempt to rework it.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

I think Byleth and their trailer were done and ready to come out and holding them back just for a Direct would be dumb.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
DKCR 3D is a port! Same as Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, a port with some additional content.
It's not the same game, it's not the same content.
tumblr_inline_pkl0ijjR081rv8xj8_500.jpg

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
BotW set the bar so high right from the get go, that the shortcomings in the likes of Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi, Link's Awakening, Luigis Mansion 3, Mario Party, Tennis Aces, heck even Odyssey had ridiculous flaws - it makes the years that followed receive some criticism.

For whatever reason, it seems pretty clear that some development teams have smashed it out of the park for Nintendo, whilst others have been very average.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
BotW set the bar so high right from the get go, that the shortcomings in the likes of Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi, Link's Awakening, Luigis Mansion 3, Mario Party, Tennis Aces, heck even Odyssey had ridiculous flaws - it makes the years that followed receive some criticism.

For whatever reason, it seems pretty clear that some development teams have smashed it out of the park for Nintendo, whilst others have been very average.
That reads like you think every game that came after BotW wasn't good enough.
I mean, we could talk about Tennis and Party obviously, but those other titles are either very good or at least in line quality wise with what came before them.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

I wouldn't put Luigi's Mansion and Mario Odyssey in the same list as those other games, which all have serious flaws; botw or not.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
What about Link's Awakening e.g. is so flawed that it deserves to be listed?

It is a 1:1 remake of a nearly 30 years old game (admittedly excellent) which only purpose was to benefit from the technical progresses of newer hardware.
Yet, the game is technically flawed, with a frame rate all over the place. The developers had one job, and they didn't do it right.
Some may argue that the fluctuating frame rate didn't impact their enjoyment too much, and that's good for them. There are many flawed games that I enjoy too. But that's beyond the point. The game's sole reason to exist was the technical aspects, and it partly fails at that. For a product sold at full price, it's not a good look.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
And let's be honest, BoTW is not flawless. Rubbish side quests, short, samey dungeons, boring bosses, little enemy variety, a controversial weapon degradation system, a world where the only thing beyond every horizon is a shrine, etc. On a technical level, it chugs at times too.

Comparing it to Odyssey for example, it has many more noticeable flaws. And I say this as someone who loves BoTW.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Super Mario Party is the best received Mario Party in ages.

It is also extremely stingy in terms of content, to the point that most of not all people expected some dlc to eventually come.
Flawed doesn't necessarily mean intrinsically bad.

In comparison, games like Luigi or Mario Odyssey are much more solid experiences. You can probably find some flaws if you look hard, but they are the complete package and tick all the boxes.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
And let's be honest, BoTW is not flawless. Rubbish side quests, short, samey dungeons, boring bosses, little enemy variety, a controversial weapon degradation system, a world where the only thing beyond every horizon is a shrine, etc. On a technical level, it chugs at times too.

Comparing it to Odyssey for example, it has many more noticeable flaws. And I say this as someone who loves BoTW.

I agree that Botw has more obvious flaws than Mario Odyssey or even Luigi. Yet, despite all these flaws, it's still probably the game of the decade for many (mine is Splatoon 2). The margin for improvement of the sequel is huge and I hope that Nintendo won't miss the target.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
That clown (who you replied to) forgot to count DKCR mirror mode as a separate game.
Clown huh? Is childish name calling over internet forums really how you want to spend ur weekend?

Most if not all of these games reviewed well and were millions sellers. I understand if you dont like them but I would not call those average games.

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It is also extremely stingy in terms of content, to the point that most of not all people expected some dlc to eventually come.

In comparison, games like Luigi or Mario Odyssey are much more solid experiences. You can probably find some flaws if you look hard, but they are the complete package and tick all the boxes.
You (in general terms, I know it wasn't you who originally said it) can't say it's a "very average effort" by the team when it's better received than most other games in its series (going by Metacritic it's even the best rated game in the franchise since Mario Party 2).

And while SMP definitely could have needed a couple additional boards, calling it "extremely stingy in terms of content" is quite an exaggeration, since in turn it offers quite an array of fun game modes to choose from.

Same goes for Mario Tennis which while flawed is still much better received than the Wii U and 3DS entries of the series. It's an improvement over what came before.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
You (in general terms, I know it wasn't you who originally said it) can't say it's a "very average effort" by the team when it's better received than most other games in its series (going by Metacritic it's even the best rated game in the franchise since Mario Party 2).

And while SMP definitely could have needed a couple additional boards, calling it "extremely stingy in terms of content" is quite an exaggeration, since in turn it offers quite an array of fun game modes to choose from.

Same goes for Mario Tennis which while flawed is still much better received than the Wii U and 3DS entries of the series. It's an improvement over what came before.

Again, I said flawed. I didn't say bad. And I'm very much open to the idea that these games may have been improvements over some past iterations (I'm not sure about Yoshi and Kirby though).
But the flaws of Mario tennis, party or link's Awakening are obvious in comparison to games like Mario Odyssey or Luigi's Mansion where what people call flaws often boils down to personal preferences. And that was exactly what my original message was pointing at.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Plus Mario Party came out during a time when the Joycon gimmick was dying (now with Switch Lite it's buried even further) and having a new Mario Party require the use of the fucking awful quality Joycons was a horrible move, and with the lack of content Mario Party is my least played of the series and one I never wanna touch again.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Plus Mario Party came out during a time when the Joycon gimmick was dying (now with Switch Lite it's buried even further) and having a new Mario Party require the use of the fucking awful quality Joycons was a horrible move, and with the lack of content Mario Party is my least played of the series and one I never wanna touch again.

Lie. The Joy-Con gimmick isn't dead. Nintendo just released a game that heavily uses said "gimmick".

Super Mario Party's the best selling game in the series, so it wasn't a horrible move mandate the use for them.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It is a 1:1 remake of a nearly 30 years old game (admittedly excellent) which only purpose was to benefit from the technical progresses of newer hardware.
Yet, the game is technically flawed, with a frame rate all over the place. The developers had one job, and they didn't do it right.
Some may argue that the fluctuating frame rate didn't impact their enjoyment too much, and that's good for them. There are many flawed games that I enjoy too. But that's beyond the point. The game's sole reason to exist was the technical aspects, and it partly fails at that. For a product sold at full price, it's not a good look.
Fair enough, even though I think that its shortcomings aren't all that comparable to the other games listed, which had more fundamental game design flaws than technical ones (at least it seems like that, going by their reception, as I personally didn't play all of them).

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Lie. The Joy-Con gimmick isn't dead. Nintendo just released a game that heavily uses said "gimmick".

Super Mario Party's the best selling game in the series, so it wasn't a horrible move mandate the use for them.
Dying - Dead are different things, never said it was dead just its very clear the focus is being shifted and being phased out as they did with the 3D in the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.