• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario 64 was better than TTYD imo. Always felt more inspired, not counting all the things TTYD just rip off from it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
don't you hate it when you're playing ttyd and your immersion is broken because every fight is on a stage?

paper-mario-battle.jpg

it's like, there's no stakes at all since this is just a stage play
When I play Mario, my number one priority is to feel immersed in a credible world.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
don't you hate it when you're playing ttyd and your immersion is broken because every fight is on a stage?

paper-mario-battle.jpg

Stuff like the audience interacting with the battle and parts of the stage being able to fall and damage you just BREAKS my gosh darn immersion; because that's exactly what i'm looking for from a Mario game!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main issues I want fixed is the backtracking. Everything else from the old Paper Mario games are great. That can easily be solved with warping straight to any towns or areas you've visited.

Also I don't want this.

wiiu_papermariocolorsplash_02.jpg

This like some 2D Mario thing with an world map you scroll through. We can go back to having a connected world. Like I said you can have a fast travel to get around quickly.

Pokio be a partner please!

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I get the feeling that the worst nightmare for most people here would be a TTYD remake with Color Splash's art style, lol.

D_HFBoIXoAIzn34
I like Color Splash's artstyle but I hate this. Honestly, I'd be fine with the artstyle either way whether they continue with Color Splash's or return to the TTYD aesthetic, but I feel like the one thing they really ought to ditch is the white outline on characters. It's just unnecessary.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Now that we talk about this, god, I hope the new Paper Mario expands the puzzles and creativity with the design of scenarios and fourth wall breaking like Color Splash. I want them to achieve something like Tearaway.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I play Mario, my number one priority is to feel immersed in a credible world.

Yeah, I like TTYD as much as the next person but its aesthetic choices end up making it look like a jumbled together mess at times. It's probably due to technical limitations but it ultimately takes away from the game. Cohesive it is not, probably the least of all of the games in the series.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know some people want to say Mercury Steam didn't do a great job with Samus Returns, but you have to remember it was a remake. They're confined to what the game was and to modernize it. They could only do so much. Metroid 5 is freedom and can do anything they want. They're going to do a great job if they're the one's developing it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

paper-mario-battle.jpg

The difference for me is that this is handled more subtly than dropping a gigantic real-world fan into the world and no one really addressing it at all

Immersion breaking is fine - TTYD has several characters that talk directly to the camera - but it also has stuff that makes you invested in the characters, world, and story. They aren't mutually exclusive. Modern Paper Mario leans way too much in one direction though, at least IMO.

I'm not even against modern Paper Mario becoming more of a puzzly adventure game over an RPG, it's just not something I really want to play and it's kind of a bummer that's what the franchise turned into, for me at least.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The curses are literally the only thing involving paper, and it's done ironically. Everything else is entirely played like it's pm64.
How about Flurrie's overworld ability?
PMTTYD_Attack_FX_B_screenshot.png

Obviously TTYD goes nowhere near as far with it as Sticker Star and Color Splash do, but the seeds were planted with that game; they just sprouted more wildly than some people would've liked.

The main issues I want fixed is the backtracking. Everything else from the old Paper Mario games are great. That can easily be solved with warping straight to any towns or areas you've visited.

Also I don't want this.

wiiu_papermariocolorsplash_02.jpg

This like some 2D Mario thing with an world map you scroll through. We can go back to having a connected world. Like I said you can have a fast travel to get around quickly.

Pokio be a partner please!
I absolutely agree with having an interconnected world again; that one should be an obvious change. Color Splash's individual levels did sometimes connect between each-other, which is definitely better than Sticker Star at least, but just like with Luigi's Mansion 3 they should realise that the segmented mission/level structure makes for a worse experience.

Limit the World Map to a fast travel key item.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, I like TTYD as much as the next person but its aesthetic choices end up making it look like a jumbled together mess at times. It's probably due to technical limitations but it ultimately takes away from the game. Cohesive it is not, probably the least of all of the games in the series.
I have a feeling that Paper Mario was the only way to make a Mario RPG in N64 with the limitations of the cartridges. And then they simply copied everything on TTYD, without thinking if it was really technically or artistically necessary. It's just "paper because reasons".

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
When FE X SMT was first announced people were expecting a different type of game. I doubt the game was going to be the "original vision" like people expected. It was probably always going to be like TMS is now.
I doubt there was much of a concept ready as that deal was made like three weeks before the Direct. A month tops.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I doubt there was much of a concept ready as that deal was made like three weeks before the Direct. A month tops.
The original plan was for a turn based strategy game, but it was too similar to Fire Emblem, so there was a change of plan and Atlus made a more traditional RPG in their own style. There's plenty of info about it online - the initial proposal was actually pitched in 2010, but development only started in 2013.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
Color Splash also looked like this, just to remind you:

Paper-Mario-Color-Splash-167929.jpg

... and it also gave us stuff like this:

Paper-Mario-Color-Splash-159451.jpg

How can one not like this style? I loved it!

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Koei Tecmo for freeing Intelligent Systems the burden of developing FE games internally and letting them work on Paper Mario instead

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Thanks Koei Tecmo for freeing Intelligent Systems the burden of developing FE games internally and letting them work on Paper Mario instead
The worst timeline.
When FE X SMT was first announced people were expecting a different type of game. I doubt the game was going to be the "original vision" like people expected. It was probably always going to be like TMS is now.
The post I quoted seems to be referring to developer visions instead of those of consumers. Or at least that's how I read it.Was teh game supposed to be something different?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The difference for me is that this is handled more subtly than dropping a gigantic real-world fan into the world and no one really addressing it at all

Immersion breaking is fine - TTYD has several characters that talk directly to the camera - but it also has stuff that makes you invested in the characters, world, and story. They aren't mutually exclusive. Modern Paper Mario leans way too much in one direction though, at least IMO.

I'm not even against modern Paper Mario becoming more of a puzzly adventure game over an RPG, it's just not something I really want to play and it's kind of a bummer that's what the franchise turned into, for me at least.

Don't really see how it's more subtle when it's tied to the mechanics of the combat system which make up a significant part of the game. Not to mention all the small aesthetic nods to paper and stories and theatre that sometimes don't really fit together. It seems like people are ascribing the negative aspects of Color Splash (its characters and writing/worldbuilding) to the wrong aspects (graphic design). Purely from aesthetics and presentation, TTYD is plenty immersion-breaking itself. As Glio said, it often does stuff just for the sake of it.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
I get that people don't like the core mechanics of Color Splash and also don't like the Toads, and that's completely okay ... but really, the artstyle, level design, humor, locations, variety and music were ON POINT. Miles ahead of Sticker Star. The negativity is out of proportion.

The pirate islands, the desert mountain, fountain gardens .. great stuff.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Hey, at least we don't need to worry about bad music. Paper Mario never truly faltered in that regard; Color Splash has a great soundtrack up there with the first three installments.

If we get the combination of TTYD x Color Splash it'd be the greatest Paper Mario game.
Absolutely; and that's pretty much what i'm expecting from this new installment. The best of both worlds (though, i'm guessing TTYD will get the preferential treatment here).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we can agree on this.
Hey, at least we don't need to worry about bad music. Paper Mario never truly faltered in that regard; Color Splash has a great soundtrack up there with the first three installments.

Absolutely; and that's pretty much what i'm expecting from this new installment. The best of both worlds (though, i'm guessing TTYD will get the preferential treatment here).
Yeah. I could almost say Color Splash had the best soundtrack, though I would have to go listen to them all since its been awhile.

They really knocked it out of the park with the locations they created in Color Splash. If we get that creativity and humor from CS (which I believe is the best in the series) mixed with TTYD I'd be elated. Music will be great. Whichever artstyle they go with is fine to me. Maybe they'd stick with Color Splash because it'd help with development? Not sure, but if they go with CS I'm happy with that.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Color Splash also looked like this, just to remind you:

Paper-Mario-Color-Splash-167929.jpg

... and it also gave us stuff like this:

Paper-Mario-Color-Splash-159451.jpg

How can one not like this style? I loved it!
Okay yeah, now it's truly coming back to me how much of a looker this game was. Cherry Lake, the inverted Pirate islands, and Plum Park being a few personal favs. It's audiovisual presentation were seriously top-notch.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I get that people don't like the core mechanics of Color Splash and also don't like the Toads, and that's completely okay ... but really, the artstyle, level design, humor, locations, variety and music were ON POINT. Miles ahead of Sticker Star. The negativity is out of proportion.

The pirate islands, the desert mountain, fountain gardens .. great stuff.
Definitely; despite not having touched it in years now, Color Splash still has plenty of memorable locations and moments that have stuck with me: the inverted islands and entire pirate treasure hunt "Chapter", haunted hotel, poisoned garden, military base, mountain range park, archaeological dig site (and the revived Draggadon that then appears in the volcano), all of the locations on the train's journey (the ancient temple, repair station and restaurant), the Super Mario Bros. 3 digital world, circus, etc.

That game, no matter what you think about it, wasn't sleeping in regards to fun locations and set pieces. Not to mention that all of those locations have great music tracks to go along with them. It just makes me more excited to see fun locations like those in an installment that returns to the gameplay of the first two.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I know some people want to say Mercury Steam didn't do a great job with Samus Returns, but you have to remember it was a remake. They're confined to what the game was and to modernize it. They could only do so much. Metroid 5 is freedom and can do anything they want. They're going to do a great job if they're the one's developing it.
Samus Returns is incredible.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
TTYD has a better art style than CS. Like at least get rid of those dumb white outlines
They look like stickers.
It's almost like Color Splash was supposed to be Sticker Star 2 or something. I could see Nintendo changing the title for marketing purposes.
Preferences and all that jazz but Mario RPGs are a wishful thinking games right now. Everyone gets excited and frustrated at the same time when you mention these games.
Who? Samus Returns was great.
It was just a late 3DS game and most ppl were ready to move on before the game shipped.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
That game, no matter what you think about it, wasn't sleeping in regards to fun locations and set pieces.
Yup. It's one of these cases where a game is being perceived as something really bad in every regard just because it wasn't what people expected or wanted. I'd make a case for Metroid: Other M at this point too, because that was also a fun game with some great design .. that people mistook for the future approach of the series. Yes, not everything it did was good, some was really bad. But it also had its qualities! I guess it's just very easy to get emotional when it comes to beloved franchises like Paper Mario or Metroid. Man, even Super Mario 3D World somehow fell victim to that, even though it was a superb platformer.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Don't really see how it's more subtle when it's tied to the mechanics of the combat system which make up a significant part of the game. Not to mention all the small aesthetic nods to paper and stories and theatre that sometimes don't really fit together. It seems like people are ascribing the negative aspects of Color Splash (its characters and writing/worldbuilding) to the wrong aspects (graphic design). Purely from aesthetics and presentation, TTYD is plenty immersion-breaking itself. As Glio said, it often does stuff just for the sake of it.
I think that the characters and writing is funny and hilarious tbh

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'd love it if we got a whole new Mario RPG "IP" and the rest were just quietly put out to pasture, outside of remasters and ports

I mean I guess Mario + Rabbids was kinda that but I mean a straight-up world trotting, party-based RPG with an all-new aesthetic.

There are decades worth of new games to pull from for Bowser and Peach movesets, it could be a blast

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Never played a Paper Mario game, so if it gets announced and you folks say it's looking good, then I'll be curious as well.

Metroid 5 on the other hand ... I'd get that one anyways. Haven't played Samus Returns on 3DS, yet, but that's more due to my lack of interest in the hardware by now than anything else.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
Yup. It's one of these cases where a game is being perceived as something really bad in every regard just because it wasn't what people expected or wanted. I'd make a case for Metroid: Other M at this point too, because that was also a fun game with some great design .. that people mistook for the future approach of the series. Yes, not everything it did was good, some was really bad. But it also had its qualities! I guess it's just very easy to get emotional when it comes to beloved franchises like Paper Mario or Metroid. Man, even Super Mario 3D World somehow fell victim to that, even though it was a superb platformer.

I don't think any Paper Mario games messed with their fanbase as much as Other M did with Metroid fanbase

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I see what you mean but I dont think that completely negates the possibility. Keep in mind I've never played the game....I'm waiting for a Legend of the Seven Stars Remake/Remaster/Something to acknowledge it's existence :(

It mysteriously skipped 3DS Virtual Console release and is still without a handheld version. There was a GBA version rumored back in the day and it turned out to be Superstar Saga. Is something preventing the game to be on handhelds? Maybe a full remake is a solution to this, Nintendo needs to get Square on board.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I like Color Splash's artstyle but I hate this. Honestly, I'd be fine with the artstyle either way whether they continue with Color Splash's or return to the TTYD aesthetic, but I feel like the one thing they really ought to ditch is the white outline on characters. It's just unnecessary.

They will likely keep it. It's easier to animate than the old sprites with individual sprites for each limb.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll usually defend Color Splash because I did think the game was at least clever and I enjoyed it, but something that bothers me is people saying they really liked the art style and presentation and hopes that it carries into future games. But that's something I really, really don't want.

Don't get me wrong, Color Splash has a great look and aesthetic for the type of game it is, which is largely based on self aware humor. But in the older games, the world wasn't supposed to be made of crafting materials, it was just an art style meant to emulate illustrations in a storybook, and that's what the series needs to go back to. Sure, the older games would poke fun at the character flatness like with the curse abilities in TTYD or flipping mechanic in SPM, but the world itself was always treated as genuine. The world can have a cartoony art style without having to justify it to the player, like Link's Awakening.

So while I do admire what Color Splash did with creating level dioramas, I really want them to go back to the storybook illustration style. No clouds held up by string, no cardboard sheeting grass, just a world that stands on its own.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
The first PM is still the best of its kind. Not the best in the PM series (that would be Super Paper Mario) but still got the formula right from the beginning and had a waaaaay better story than TTYD.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
They will likely keep it. It's easier to animate than the old sprites with individual sprites for each limb.

Not too sure about this. Sticker Star still used the traditional bone animation but with a few added tricks to make it feel choppy. Color Splash is the first installment to use true frame animation but all the characters end up needing hundreds of sprites to represent all the actions. It looks like they were originally playing with a sort of water color aesthetic based on Color Splash's in-game concept art, so it's possible that this design decision was a relic of that.

bytoshi.png

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
I still have a haunch that the next Paper Mario game will keep the papercraft-y aesthetic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.