• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The idea of Metroid 2D and Paper Mario being more of the same but with better graphics bores me a little. I want something new and exciting. Some twist

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to say all the time Color Splash had the best aesthetics and I wanted Paper Mario to follow it, but recently I looked back at the older games and I like those better. Idk it's just too "crafty" now that I think about it. That's not what Paper Mario is about. I'm not as big of a fan of the design from Color Splash like I used to be.

22196.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The idea of Metroid 2D and Paper Mario being more of the same but with better graphics bores me a little. I want something new and exciting. Some twist
New mechanics for the sake of new mechanics doesn't always work out. We've had new mechanics for the majority of Paper Mario's tenure and fans have been largely critical of them (not that this translates to sales). The current hints are far too vague to elaborate on what "more of the same" means too. Metroid Fusion was "more of the same" for the most part, but included the sections where you have to hide from the X Parasite. The Metroid 2 remake had to keep things largely on par because of its remake status, but also included the parry system that shook combat up a little.

What would you classify as "new and exciting" in terms of changes? Just interested.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we get new 2D Metroid, a Paper Mario RPG, Bayonetta 3 and Breath of the Wild 2 in 2020... Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy.

Jan: Brain Training, TMS, Smash Fighter Pack 5
Feb: FE: Cindered Shadows DLC
March: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Animal Crossing
April: Pikmin 3 DX
May: Xenoblade DE
June: Isle of Armor DLC, Super Mario 3D World DX
July: Smash Fighter 6, Bravely Default 2
August: No More Heroes 3
September: 2D Metroid
October: Paper Mario, Bayonetta 3
November: The Legend of Zelda, Crown Tundra DLC, Smash Fighter 7
December:

Things that either are coming or which might be coming but I don't know where to put them:
Detective Club games
Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2
Deadly Premonition 2
I'm not sure about Travis. I think they joked about it at the Game Awards because they legitimately are not sure if it will make 2020.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm not sure about Travis. I think they joked about it at the Game Awards because they legitimately are not sure if it will make 2020.
Yeah. I thought about putting that down for December, but I think if it's that late they'll hold it for 2021.

I'd guess a Detective Club game, Deadly Premonition 2, and Dragon Quest Heroes could be spread across May to September, with other things.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Samus Returns introduced quite a few new mechanics and that was a remake. I'm sure the next game will be even bolder.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I posted my partner wishlist a bit ago; but it'd still like to see a Chain Chomp, Piranha Plant, Tostarenan, Chargin' Chuck and Pokio.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I thought about putting that down for December, but I think if it's that late they'll hold it for 2021.

I'd guess a Detective Club game, Deadly Premonition 2, and Dragon Quest Heroes could be spread across May to September, with other things.
Right. Then there's stuff we don't even know like new IP's, if the Mario Kart team will have a game or maybe the 3D Mario team could get a Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 2 out this year. It's so exciting. It's building up to this first direct!

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to say all the time Color Splash had the best aesthetics and I wanted Paper Mario to follow it, but recently I looked back at the older games and I like those better. Idk it's just too "crafty" now that I think about it. That's not what Paper Mario is about. I'm not as big of a fan of the design from Color Splash like I used to be.

22196.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg
I'll disagree here. TTYD looks great, but it also looks like they were limited by the tech at the time. Color Splash is the natural evolution of the paper aesthetic... imo of course.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Can't believe Team January still is this strong. Y'all pretty faithful, I'll give you that.
(And I'd be glad actually if you were right! haha)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
New mechanics for the sake of new mechanics doesn't always work out. We've had new mechanics for the majority of Paper Mario's tenure and fans have been largely critical of them (not that this translates to sales). The current hints are far too vague to elaborate on what "more of the same" means too. Metroid Fusion was "more of the same" for the most part, but included the sections where you have to hide from the X Parasite. The Metroid 2 remake had to keep things largely on par because of its remake status, but also included the parry system that shook combat up a little.

What would you classify as "new and exciting"
in terms of changes? Just interested.
I don't know, something like Cappy, changes how you approach the game by adding options and movements. Or changes in the narrative structure, such as Three Houses.

Or Googi in LM3

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

22196.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg
I agree that the newer games go too far into the Paper aesthetic. It's cute, but it feels like too much after awhile.

If we truly are getting a traditional Paper Mario next (PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE), then I hope it follows the style set by the first two games very faithfully, ie. a regular world, ala the Mushroom Kingdom (or maybe Sarasa Land this time) with minimal paper elements outside of Mario himself, and some random flourishes.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Can't believe Team January still is this strong. Y'all pretty faithful, I'll give you that.
(And I'd be glad actually if you were right! haha)
I've always been #TeamFebruary but there's still 2 weeks left in this month. I do see a lot of vote switching though.
I'm always surprised by people who liked 3D Land but didn't like 3D World. Tastes and all but this one simply makes no sense to me whatsoever since it's pretty much a continuation but bigger, better, prettier and even has multiplayer.
I remember a lot of disappointment when 3DW was announced because ppl were looking for something more ambitious from the first HD Mario. Or maybe they just wanted something new.

Its been years since I played it but I remember it being a pretty 'safe' game.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I won't change my vote even if I'm wrong. Besides I can't change it in good conscience when we're getting an Animal Crossing direct this week and a general direct on the 30th. Just wait and see. You just gotta believe!

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I don't want to set expectations crazy high (because I remember Other M), but new 2D Metroid is really interesting to think about. The last new entry was on the GBA, a system where the game design didn't move that far beyond what was possible on SNES.

Samus Returns had some good modern features, but was limited both by 3DS and the original linear design of Metroid 2, so whatever we get has the potential to be a big leap forward, if it's a new entry. I don't know what that'd look like, but presumably it does carry forward the Chozo story from Samus Returns. Maybe we can finally go to a new planet in the mainline series? That could allow for some interesting environments.

One thing I do hope they keep is the new Metroid logo from Samus Returns, I really like that.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

22196.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

IMO the earlier Paper Mario games had the perfect balance of the crafty aesthetic and their own immersive world. Things being made of paper was only alluded to for the most part, whereas in Sticker Star and Color Splash it felt like they were regularly wink-wink nudge-nudging it, which sucked.

Though I'm one of the few people who finds the writing in Color Splash terrible in general so

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
It was a massive let-down for me as a young teen who loved the DKC series. It looked like it had a ton of promise but ended up feeling bloated. It was clunky (kong) and really turned me off to the collectathon genre of games.

I don't mean to diminish your love for the game or the memories you have of it. There are plenty of games I love that are nothing special (my avatar is Cubivore for goodness sake).

At the time though it was hyped up a lot by Nintendo but didn't live up to its promise

I grew up on DKC and have always love it. I remember when DK64 came out and I was so disappointed that I didn't even bother to buy N64. Later I tried to get into the game on emulators and Wii U, but I just can't. I do feel that a new 3D DK(C) game, possibly by EPD, could be fantastic on Switch. I prefer we get more 2D DKCs, after Retro is done with MP4, but in the meantime it would be interesting to see a new 3D DK experience.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I hope this leads to a port of TTYD. IMO it remains one of the greatest games ever made and it deserves more people to give it a look.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I get the feeling that the worst nightmare for most people here would be a TTYD remake with Color Splash's art style, lol.

D_HFBoIXoAIzn34

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The art style of Paper Mario Color Splash where everything seems done with paper is fabulous and is much more cohesive than that of TTYD

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Deadly Premonition 2 should be Nintendo's Shenmue 3. A niche game that won't sell or review that well but will most likely have a cult following.

(Except that at least DP2 will most likely tell a complete story).

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I think if you're gonna make Mario a weird paper creature you might as well lean into it as hard as you can

I'm not crazy about the white outlines in the Color Splash style, but everything else looked great

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem I have with the aesthetics of TTYD is that I don't see "Paper" Mario, I see "Weird 2D" Mario.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling that the worst nightmare for most people here would be a TTYD remake with Color Splash's art style, lol.

D_HFBoIXoAIzn34

I think for me it's more the constant allusions to paper are annoying, and the fact puzzle solving usually involves immersion-breaking stuff that makes the world feel less cohesive. From what I remember in TTYD that was basically limited to the Mario transformations, which were outright stated to be abnormal and weird "curses" in-game.

Visually it looks fine, though the white borders are ugly and it can get a bit desaturated thanks to the harsh lighting

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Statistically a direct happens at the start of a month (early to mid). But nothing prevent Nintendo of...being Nintendo a doing something different, like this year who could have predicted 2 specific directs in a row,..maybe this week we will have a AC direct and in early February a standard one ?

I firmly believed January was the month, but yes early February seems most likely, I just hope it will be worth the wait and not full of port/remakes, unless of course they want to port Mario Galaxy or Wind Waker HD !

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think for me it's more the constant allusions to paper are annoying, and the fact puzzle solving usually involves immersion-breaking stuff that makes the world feel less cohesive. From what I remember in TTYD that was basically limited to the Mario transformations, which were outright stated to be abnormal and weird "curses" in-game.

Visually it looks fine, though the white borders are ugly and it can get a bit desaturated thanks to the harsh lighting
"Immersive breaking" is a game where Mario is made of paper, the game precisely plays with that to break the fourth wall and create puzzles and interesting comedy.

The design of the world of TTYD is much less imaginative for it. If you are going to make a game like TTYD, call it Mario RPG 2, use the Mario + Rabbids graphics and completely abandon the concept of Paper Mario.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario had nothing to do with making a world of paper aesthetics. It's called Mario Story and was supposed to be Mario RPG 2...

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018

22196.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg
I'm with you. The Color Splash aesthetic looks good for what it's going for, but it's not what I want in a traditional Paper Mario game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
"Immersive breaking" is a game where Mario is made of paper, the game precisely plays with that to break the fourth wall and create puzzles and interesting comedy.

The design of the world of TTYD is much less imaginative for it. If you are going to make a game like TTYD, call it Mario RPG 2, use the Mario + Rabbids graphics and completely abandon the concept of Paper Mario.

I mean, I'd say the world of TTYD with its wrestling arenas, murder mystery trains, and black-and-white forests is more imaginative than standard Mario-but-now-it's-paper

Sure they could pull it off without the paper aesthetic, and I wouldn't mind if they went that route, but it's a cute style that's cheap to produce and it looks nice. I don't think they have to lean into it as hard as they do, and it's gotten tired IMO.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
don't you hate it when you're playing ttyd and your immersion is broken because every fight is on a stage?

paper-mario-battle.jpg

it's like, there's no stakes at all since this is just a stage play

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why they started adopting more paper-related mechanics (such as the curses) when the second installment adopted the Paper prefix in Japan... 🤔🤔🤔
Well I said the start. I never said after that. Of course they started running with it more and now it's at the point to like "hey look at our cool world. Just focus on the cool Paper world and not the no patterns, no real rpg, no badges, etc!"

Like I said I'm not in love with it as I used to be. If they go with the artstyle for this next Paper Mario idc. I just want the gameplay and want Paper Mario used to be. The look of the world is one of my least cared about things in a Paper Mario game.

Status
Not open for further replies.