• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry. DK 64 is a divisive game.

I enjoyed DK64, but nowadays I acknowledge it sucks.

Although I still appreciate it to an extent, mostly for the ambition.
I feel DK doesn't get enough credit compared to its contemporaries for what it did manage to do.

At the time when I was a kid, it was near the best looking game to me....ever. (I only had consoles). Which was a big deal at the time.
It had a complete single player, with fully explorable 3D worlds, and to me pretty decent level design, better than most 3D platformers that preceded and proceeded it, even up to modern times.

Then for no necessary reason haha, it had multiplayer modes( considering it was mainly a singleplayer)
It had a fun FPS with different characters, weapons, stages and modes (at low fps) that me and my brothers put more hours into than the main game.

The battle arena mode was fun, with the weird randomness, and of course multiplayer w/ bots
And this was before the 2000s and 2010s where multiplayer modes are of course more refined and have progression and all that. At the time these modes were crazy (to me) for a single player game.
Then it had fun cheat codes that you would use in the main story and other stuff

obv the issues with the game are apparent, with the too much switching, cumbersomeness, etc.
But I feel the game gets viewed in modern lens and doesn't get appreciated for what it did do at the time.
All the characters felt good to control and their abilities were used to progress in the world (this should go without saying but look at other 3D platformers to see it's actually rare lol.)

but yea, my feelings. The way it gets talked about you'd feel it was Bubsy 3D

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I feel DK doesn't get enough credit compared to its contemporaries for what it did manage to do.

At the time when I was a kid, it was near the best looking game to me....ever. (I only had consoles). Which was a big deal at the time.
It had a complete single player, with fully explorable 3D worlds, and to me pretty decent level design, better than most 3D platformers that preceded and proceeded it, even up to modern times.

Then for no necessary reason haha, it had multiplayer modes( considering it was mainly a singleplayer)
It had a fun FPS with different characters, weapons, stages and modes (at low fps) that me and my brothers put more hours into than the main game.

The battle arena mode was fun, with the weird randomness, and of course multiplayer w/ bots
And this was before the 2000s and 2010s where multiplayer modes are of course more refined and have progression and all that. At the time these modes were crazy (to me) for a single player game.
Then it had fun cheat codes that you would use in the main story and other stuff

obv the issues with the game are apparent, with the too much switching, cumbersomeness, etc.
But I feel the game gets viewed in modern lens and doesn't get appreciated for what it did do at the time.
All the characters felt good to control and their abilities were used to progress in the world (this should go without saying but look at other 3D platformers to see it's actually rare lol.)

but yea, my feelings. The way it gets talked about you'd feel it was Bubsy 3D

It was a massive let-down for me as a young teen who loved the DKC series. It looked like it had a ton of promise but ended up feeling bloated. It was clunky (kong) and really turned me off to the collectathon genre of games.

I don't mean to diminish your love for the game or the memories you have of it. There are plenty of games I love that are nothing special (my avatar is Cubivore for goodness sake).

At the time though it was hyped up a lot by Nintendo but didn't live up to its promise.

Now Goemon Mystical Ninja on the 64...that game is a masterpiece by any definition.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It was a massive let-down for me as a young teen who loved the DKC series. It looked like it had a ton of promise but ended up feeling bloated. It was clunky (kong) and really turned me off to the collectathon genre of games.

I don't mean to diminish your love for the game or the memories you have of it. There are plenty of games I love that are nothing special (my avatar is Cubivore for goodness sake).

At the time though it was hyped up a lot by Nintendo but didn't live up to its promise.

Now Goemon Mystical Ninja on the 64...that game is a masterpiece by any definition.
I definitely agree there's problems with it.
I just think it had very impressive things it was doing at the same time. The world, level design bosses, abilities, and of course the aforementioned modes felt like a huge game.
one quick exmaple is flying around a big world like that as diddy on a jetpack was pretty crazy in 1999 that I couldn't get elsewhere it felt. (again, only had consoles, and not a dreamcast which had launched 2 months prior. well, i didn't even know what a dreamcast was by then). Obviously you could fly around in Sm64 but it wasn't quite the same level of design and interactivity

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I doubt anything is ever going to top the 2013 January direct.

The first half of the direct was miiverse stuff and nothing exciting, then they announced WWHD, the idea for BOTW, "Mario Kart announcement", "New Mario annoncement", with no footage, Xenoblade Chronicles X Trailer, Yoshi Trailer, and FEXSMT Trailer.

On paper it looked great but the actual direct wasn't super amazing. Nintendo could top it.

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
So, the next week will be the last one before their briefing to show the Q3 results... Maybe another "game dedicated video"?

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
the biggest reason is, switch 2. it needs a mario kart, and mario kart 9 deluxe won't work as well as mario kart 8 deluxe. 9 on switch will have already sold a fuckton, unlike 8 on wii u, and if there's BC it'll be even more pointless. unless you think they can do 9 for switch and then have 10 ready for switch 2 in 2 or 3 years (which would be milking the IP to the point of harming it), 9 on switch is not happening.

from the blog post they made, it looks like the game is still a ways off. earliest possible shadow drop would be at the E3 direct, with the september direct being a more likely scenario.

they did but the devs recently said pretty much not to expect it too soon. just like the original, they're gonna add more and more to the game, with their own internal release date estimates getting pushed back several times.

Ok I didn't know about that. I guess we'll see, I could easily see it going to next year based on that

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The first half of the direct was miiverse stuff and nothing exciting, then they announced WWHD, the idea for BOTW, "Mario Kart announcement", "New Mario annoncement", with no footage, Xenoblade Chronicles X Trailer, Yoshi Trailer, and FEXSMT Trailer.

On paper it looked great but the actual direct wasn't super amazing. Nintendo could top it.
February 2019 already topped it imo.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
February 2019 already topped it imo.

They topped it plenty of times, with the Switch 2017 Conference, E3 2017, September 2018 Direct, Feb 2019, E3 2019.

Heck with the Switch 2017 Conference alone.

Wii U Direct - Switch 2017 Conference
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Xenoblade 2
"Idea for BOTW" - Amazing BOTW Trailer
New 3D Mario Announcement with no footage - Mario Odyssey Trailer
FEXSMT with basic trailer - SMTV Trailer
Mario Kart announcement with no footage - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
E3 2014 was pretty great too for a direct

-First look at Breath of the Wild
-Splatoon
-Mario Party 11
-Mario Maker
-Captain Toad
-Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
-Announcement that Bayonetta 2 would include Bayo 1
-Smash info
-Amiibos
-Star Fox was mentioned as in development too.

Not to mention we got a bunch of Robot Chicken shorts.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I definitely agree there's problems with it.
I just think it had very impressive things it was doing at the same time. The world, level design bosses, abilities, and of course the aforementioned modes felt like a huge game.
one quick exmaple is flying around a big world like that as diddy on a jetpack was pretty crazy in 1999 that I couldn't get elsewhere it felt. (again, only had consoles, and not a dreamcast which had launched 2 months prior. well, i didn't even know what a dreamcast was by then). Obviously you could fly around in Sm64 but it wasn't quite the same level of design and interactivity

I can see that. Paints it in somewhat of a different light for me actually.

You'd mentioned that people judge it harshly based on hindsight and I just wanted to say that I'm so forward-thinking that I judged it harshly back then.

200.webp

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Feb and E3 19 are the highlights of the Switch era

E3 17 personally too, but a lot of that hinges on Metroid's return for me and I understand some people were underwhelmed

And I'll never stop preaching how underrated the Switch presentation was. If it was a Direct it'd be the best one of all time.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

E3 17 personally too, but a lot of that hinges on Metroid's return for me and I understand some people were underwhelmed

And I'll never stop preaching how underrated the Switch presentation was. If it was a Direct it'd be the best one of all time.

Yep! The only reason people said the presentation sucked was because "OMG SWITCH IS $300?! IT'S DOOMED!!!"

I remember when people were expecting it to be $200, even the Wii wasn't $200 lol.

I actually really enjoyed the Switch Presentation as well. Thought they did a great job except when trying to translate some of the speakers (I'm looking at you Suda)

Lol Suda went off script, I felt so bad for that speaker. At least Suda apologized and bought him a drink lol.

Method

Oct 25, 2017

I actually really enjoyed the Switch Presentation as well. Thought they did a great job except when trying to translate some of the speakers (I'm looking at you Suda)

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

As soon as I heard the music and saw that vague s floating in space, my hype exploded. A f*cking 4 and I'm screaming my tits off. Don't get me wrong, I do lose my shit for other reveals but MP4 was f*cking biblical.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I still think that half the hate for the first Switch presentation was because everyone convinced themsleves the thing was going to be sold for 249.99$

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I don't think for me there has been a bad direct since the switch came out, I know people will disagree because of smash at e3 2018 but I have enjoyed watching them all a lot.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
One of the reasons I don't see Mario Kart 9 happening yet is because Nintendo don't just crunch the numbers and make development decisions based on what will sell best - especially not when they're in a commercially strong position. There's no conversation that the EPD leads had where they went "Sure, that's an exciting new idea, but let's drop it because Mario Kart 9 will definitely sell more." We should also remember that combined with Arms' ongoing support, a decision on a new title won't have been made immediately - in all likelihood there was a pitching phase for different ideas.

Furukawa talked about risk-taking with TIME a few months ago - he sees his role as taking care of the business, instead deferring to EPD and creative leads when it comes to game design decisions and which software projects go ahead. Given Miyamoto has also fairly recently stressed the importance of Nintendo providing new experiences with Switch, and given Mario Kart 8 DX continues to sell so strongly (plus the long-running Nintendo tradition of one Mario Kart per system), I think a new IP is the likeliest outcome. We've seen 3 major new IPs from EPD this generation and I am sure we'll see one more this year (does Sushi Striker count, or was that indieszero?). Yeah, Nintendo know Mario Kart sells, but Nintendo will also back themselves to come up with something new.

I wouldn't rule out an IP reboot if Nintendo have decided they can do something exciting with it - my money was on Wave Race in that instance. I do really like the idea of a sports compilation that combines things like 1080, Wave Race and other neglected franchises. I guess the danger is the disparate sports could easily be quite shallow. Equally, I figure the likeliest scenario for Mario Kart 9 hitting Switch will be based on new gameplay ideas rather than commercial safety. If EPD think they can do something exciting with a new Kart and want to do it right now, then maybe it happens. But my expectations would be a new IP is the likeliest project, followed by a reboot, followed by Kart 9 (in order of likelihood).

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
The initial Switch Presentation actually sold me again on Nintendo.

I'd dropped off during the Wii & WiiU eras (actually didn't own a current gen console at all from the Gamecube to 2015 when I purchased a PS4).

I was feeling somewhat underwhelmed by the PS4 (Bloodborne notwithstanding) but when I saw the Switch I fell back in love with the idea of gaming.

That presentation made me feel like a kid again and the Switch still does it for me every time I pick it up to play.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I heard the music and saw that vague s floating in space, my hype exploded. A f*cking 4 and I'm screaming my tits off. Don't get me wrong, I do lose my shit for other reveals but MP4 was f*cking biblical.
It felt unbelievable at the time

Like it's fair to say it was "just a logo" but to me it was so much more - a sign that Nintendo was committed to the series.

To me it still feels weird when I see an official tweet from Nintendo about Metroid. Like I thought they hated the series and there was no hope

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think for me there has been a bad direct since the switch came out, I know people will disagree because of smash at e3 2018 but I have enjoyed watching them all a lot.
I honestly think the worst one for me was September 2019, but it still wasn't bad. Just really needed some exciting first party

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It felt unbelievable at the time

Like it's fair to say it was "just a logo" but to me it was so much more - a sign that Nintendo was committed to the series.

To me it still feels weird when I see an official tweet from Nintendo about Metroid. Like I thought they hated the series and there was no hope

And then 30 minutes later they announced Metroid: Samus Returns.

Like if you told me at the beginning of the day that one of my favorite games of 2017 was going to be a 3DS game I wouldn't believe you in a million years.

That was a great surprise.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I honestly think the worst one for me was September 2019, but it still wasn't bad. Just really needed some exciting first party

I would agree I think. It was still good and had a few games I was excited for but it was a bit 3rd party focused and then had a trailer for animal crossing but it was stuff we already knew.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
And I'll never stop preaching how underrated the Switch presentation was.
Seriously !! Even back in the days, so many people were complaining about it, for me it was awesome ! I woke up at 5am, a school day, 2 hours earlier than usual for this, and I had absolutely 0 regrets. It was awesome.
SMT V, Octopath Traveller, Suda51 on stage to announce a new game, Super Mario Odyssey's trailer that was mindblowing ("the fuck is he doing in New York City ?! This is awesome !!!"), Splatoon being a sequel and not a port, Xenoblade 2, new IP by EPD, and the best trailer ever for BOTW. It was an insane presentation.

Also Koizumi doing this live on stage.
nintendo-switch-1-2.jpg

The world that wasn't really aware of Directs and/or Nintendo leads also discovered Nogami, doing his usual weird Splatoon shit, it was great lmao

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree that September 2019 was the weakest Direct in the Switch era so far. Especially the ending was really weird. Ending their usual "one more thing" slot with a remake was strange and I didn't like it at all.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Seriously !! Even back in the days, so many people were complaining about it, for me it was awesome ! I woke up at 5am, a school day, 2 hours earlier than usual for this, and I had absolutely 0 regrets. It was awesome.
SMT V, Octopath Traveller, Suda51 on stage to announce a new game, Super Mario Odyssey's trailer that was mindblowing ("the fuck is he doing in New York City ?! This is awesome !!!"), Splatoon being a sequel and not a port, Xenoblade 2, new IP by EPD, and the best trailer ever for BOTW. It was an insane presentation.

Also Koizumi doing this live on stage.
nintendo-switch-1-2.jpg

The world that wasn't really aware of Directs and/or Nintendo leads also discovered Nogami, doing his usual weird Splatoon shit, it was great lmao
That Breath of the Wild trailer still makes me emotional. The music is so great they remixed it for Smash Ultimate.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

it's been repeatedly since, yeah.

people who proclaim january 2013 and e3 2004 should watch them again....from start to finish.
they were decent of course, but eh...

I can see that. Paints it in somewhat of a different light for me actually.

You'd mentioned that people judge it harshly based on hindsight and I just wanted to say that I'm so forward-thinking that I judged it harshly back then.

200.webp
oh yea if it wasn;t impressive back then, it definitely would age even worse for that person lol.
I've basically said my spiel about it.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
If the MK team really is working on a new IP, I'm really, really curious to see what it is. Hopefully racing is involved in some way.

Imagine if they were the ones working on the Splatoon spin-off though...

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
How about the april 2017 ? This one litterally had 0 first party new game/port reveal.
Honestly... I don't remember being let down too bad by that one?

I was probably still too absorbed in BotW to be too antsy for Nintendo news. It was the one with Splatoon focus and ARMS focus right? Trying to remember what else was shown

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020

Gotta remember WWHD and Xenoblade X were huge announcements back then, some of the most hype I've seen from Direct announcements period.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
TMS definitely looks like a cool game, but I'd like to see Atlus and Nintendo do the original vision for SMTxFE.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The september 2019 direct had TMS port, Deadly Premonition 2 (still can't believe it's happening), and Famicom Detective Club remakes in the japanese one (this literally is a dream coming true for me).
It'll stay one of the great ones for me.
Not the biggest fan of Xenoblade 1 (I'm more of a Xenoblade X guy, I love love love Xenoblade X), so the "one more thing" announcement definitely wasn't my favorite one (especially since we were hyping the Monolith Soft new IP in the Direct thread lmao), but I think it deserved to be there. It's an ambitious remake, it looks fucking great, and it's of course a wonderful game that almost no one played.
Also let's not forget that february 2019 also had a remake as the "one more thing" (Link's Awakening), and I'm pretty sure that Xenoblade remake probably has a way bigger budget than Link's Awakening.
It's weird to me that people seem to consider it less as a big deal than Link's Awakening. We even already know about new zones in the Xenoblade remake, it seems really really ambitious.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
April 2017 was maybe the "worst"
not due to its own fault, but more the switch just launched, and a FE direct just happened. And E3 was coming up which would show Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid, Xenoblade 2.
Wasn't much to show/say unless they took away big announcements from E3...

I still think that half the hate for the first Switch presentation was because everyone convinced themsleves the thing was going to be sold for 249.99$
It was more that since Nintendo hadn't released many Wii U games, people went a bit crazy in terms of expectations for Switch's launch lol.
but there was Zelda, 1-2, and stuff like bomberman, etc. On the immediate horizon was MK8D in April 30th (?) and Splatoon and Arms in "Summer"

the 2nd half of the presentation dragged a bit with EA guy, Todd Howard, Suda 51, and Nagoshi coming out and not really saying much or showing anything

It's not crazy that that people were down on it after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.