• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
In before drive-by posts and talk about how PS5 and XSX make this new Direct irrelevant...

I can just smell the negativity!
There actually hasn't been anything like that

I don't think anyone would dare challenge how big of a deal directs are. It's really a phenomenon

Drive-by negative post incoming lol

I think that Directs are really big but I don't think that Nintendo would position one in close proximity to a console reveal if they could really help it. The two console reveals are going to be massive news and, in terms of general mind-share, they'd eclipse any regular Direct. It's perhaps one of the best, though least touched-upon, talking points for Team January; the PS5 and/or XSX reveals are very likely going to dominate a lot of February so it would definitely make sense for Nintendo to avoid that month entirely.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My personal wishlist for the next direct is mostly third party stuff. Specifically...

• More Square-Enix. Classic Final Fantasy games (not the mobile ports pls), Kingdom Hearts ports or even a new spin-off, Theatrhythm. We have to be at the point now where there 3DS development priorities have switched to the, uh, Switch. I'd love Live A Live to get the Trials of Mana late localization treatment too, though I imagine that'd be an E3 announcement.
  • FFXIV is the dream announcement, I'd also take PSO2-but-not-on-the-cloud. Or a Dragon Quest X localization, that'd be wild. MMO's are such an underserved market on Switch.
  • Metal Gear Collection. Konami has brought most of its other classic games over, it's bizarre to me their biggest series has basically been ignored. Perfect time for it to come back to Nintendo, what with Snake in Smash 'n all.
  • Hitman, why not. Perfectly suited for bite-sized play sessions.
  • Old Sega ports + indie developed sequels. Panzer Dragoon Remake, Streets of Rage 4 etc. should just be the beginning.
  • Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection would be my jam, always wanted to get into that series.
  • A new Ace Attorney would be swell, or a localization + port of The Great Ace Attorney at long last.
I'm not expecting any of those to show up though, just wishful thinking at this point.

For first part I just want Breath of the Wild 2 gameplay, the next Smash fighter confirmed, a new batch of SNES Online games, more Animal Crossing deets, and a Zelda HD collection. I imagine we'll get 3 out of 5 there. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If Nintendo doesn't announce a new DKC game for 2020
giphy.gif

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super Nintendo World is opening in Japan soon, and eventually I think they will get the DK ride.

Good opportunity for Nintendo to do a Returns Remaster to tie into the land!

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Drive-by negative post incoming lol

I think that Directs are really big but I don't think that Nintendo would position one in close proximity to a console reveal if they could really help it. The two console reveals are going to be massive news and, in terms of general mind-share, they'd eclipse any regular Direct. It's perhaps one of the best, though least touched-upon, talking points for Team January; the PS5 and/or XSX reveals are very likely going to dominate a lot of February so it would definitely make sense for Nintendo to avoid that month entirely.
Oh yeah I agree with that, I was just saying there hasn't been any console warring about it like "who cares about a Direct when PS5 is coming!" or anything like that

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Like I mentioned in the old thread, all I need this year is:

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Mario Golf
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
anything else is just bonus

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, REmake 2 is REALLY scratching my Metroid itch. Like, way harder than I expected it to.

I know the series has metroid elements, but usually when I hear that about a game, I find they don't do nearly as well capturing Metroid's progression as Metroid does. But damn does RE2 come closest it can get. The only thing it misses is that Leon and Claire's abilities don't really grow like Samus' but that's ok because it's survival

Metroid and 3D Mario are really the only series that beg me to 100% them, RE2 is kinda channeling that with me.

Now I want a ZSS RE-like

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Y'all, REmake 2 is REALLY scratching my Metroid itch. Like, way harder than I expected it to.

I know the series has metroid elements, but usually when I hear that about a game, I find they don't do nearly as well capturing Metroid's progression as Metroid does. But damn does RE2 come closest it can get. The only thing it misses is that Leon and Claire's abilities don't really grow like Samus' but that's ok because it's survival

Metroid and 3D Mario are really the only series that beg me to 100% them, RE2 is kinda channeling that with me.

Now I want a ZSS RE-like
Light horror elements would work well for Metroid Prime 4.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Oh yeah I agree with that, I was just saying there hasn't been any console warring about it like "who cares about a Direct when PS5 is coming!" or anything like that

I mean who does care about a Direct when PS5 is coming?

Nintendo is for Nintenbabies. Only true adults play with the Playstation Quintuple.

Ya'll can go Directly to Chess Club ya damn nerds.

Plum out.

This is a sarcastic attempt-at-a-joke and not a serious representation of my own opinions.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Hitman, why not. Perfectly suited for bite-sized play sessions.
I would absolutely buy 2016/2 again ported to the Switch, but those are games that
1. Have built in always-online in order to access most features, which would limit their portability unless removed
2. Can be pretty taxing technically, with reflections and large crowds of NPCs.

Blood Money might be doable, though.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Light horror elements would work well for Metroid Prime 4.

MP1 had light horror, (as did 2 - don't remember 3 well enough). Anything space pirate related gave off some horror vibes: the frigate early on, the mines, probably a number of other places. I'd love for them to channel that feeling throughout the game - you're mostly alone in an alien world, it makes sense for you to be on edge

Edit: They don't need ZSS to make it happen. You can be fully armored and still spooked

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get a new direct soon.

I'm glad Nintendo isn't announcing many games well in advance

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely buy 2016/2 again ported to the Switch, but those are games that
1. Have built in always-online in order to access most features, which would limit their portability unless removed
2. Can be pretty taxing technically, with reflections and large crowds of NPCs.

Blood Money might be doable, though.

I'd rather have Absolution than Blood Money. Such underrated Hitman game, I'd love to revisit that on Switch.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
My personal wishlist for the next direct is mostly third party stuff. Specifically...

• More Square-Enix. Classic Final Fantasy games (not the mobile ports pls), Kingdom Hearts ports or even a new spin-off, Theatrhythm. We have to be at the point now where there 3DS development priorities have switched to the, uh, Switch. I'd love Live A Live to get the Trials of Mana late localization treatment too, though I imagine that'd be an E3 announcement.
  • FFXIV is the dream announcement, I'd also take PSO2-but-not-on-the-cloud. Or a Dragon Quest X localization, that'd be wild. MMO's are such an underserved market on Switch.
  • Metal Gear Collection. Konami has brought most of its other classic games over, it's bizarre to me their biggest series has basically been ignored. Perfect time for it to come back to Nintendo, what with Snake in Smash 'n all.
  • Hitman, why not. Perfectly suited for bite-sized play sessions.
  • Old Sega ports + indie developed sequels. Panzer Dragoon Remake, Streets of Rage 4 etc. should just be the beginning.
  • Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection would be my jam, always wanted to get into that series.
  • A new Ace Attorney would be swell, or a localization + port of The Great Ace Attorney at long last.
I'm not expecting any of those to show up though, just wishful thinking at this point.

For first part I just want Breath of the Wild 2 gameplay, the next Smash fighter confirmed, a new batch of SNES Online games, more Animal Crossing deets, and a Zelda HD collection. I imagine we'll get 3 out of 5 there. Anything else is icing on the cake.
I'd be shocked if we saw the recent Hitmans on Switch since IO's already has a full plate with a new IP and H3 (not to mention it's always online ATM), but that would be incredible. I already have like 200 hours split between 2016 and 2 but having it portably would bring me right back in.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Getting back on holiday title talk, i think it's most likely going to be Zelda. Pokemon is a no for this year, and 3D Mario is not likely. I think the other option is what the Mario Kart team is working on. That may come earlier than the holidays, though.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there's the possibility they'll reveal not one, but two new characters for Smash in the next direct. In hindsight, it makes sense for Nintendo to keep that reveal for themselves if the first Direct of the year is going to be late January time, but given we know there's going to be second "season" of new reveals, wouldn't it make financial sense to reveal the first character with gameplay....and then...surprise us with the second character that is "now in development" and have that be Pack 1 of Season 2. Honestly, if I were Nintendo, I would be trying to set it up so that it gives people reason to buy the second FIghters Pass with a character reveal that would blow the internet up (again). Have Doom Guy or whatever be the start of the second set of new characters - I'd want him to be the final reveal of this first set if you will, but for Nintendo, that would net them more pass purchases, right?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope we at least get DKCR this year. Just feels so dirty how they're treating DK. I feel like DK could be as big as Zelda(besides BotW) at least if they would support the IP.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know, that's why it's in a separate section, haha. If anything I'd figure WB would be more willing to bring it to Switch, at least Hitman 2016 or the older games. Or Hitman GO, surprised that isn't on Switch already.
Go is in a weird limbo since it was made by Square Enix. it's probably dead and buried

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Getting back on holiday title talk, i think it's most likely going to be Zelda. Pokemon is a no for this year, and 3D Mario is not likely. I think the other option is what the Mario Kart team is working on. That may come earlier than the holidays, though.
Yabuki's team is a mysterious piece of the puzzle, that's for sure. The release timing of their next project will probably depend on what it ends up being (it could be a big core title for a quarter, or they could be working on something smaller); the only problem is that we have no idea what they're working on, lol.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Hitman, why not. Perfectly suited for bite-sized play sessions.
IO remastered Hitman: Blood Money and brought it over to the PS4 and Xbox One last year. It's a shame we haven't seen a PC version as the updated controls would be fucking amazing but I'd be happy if they could bring this over to the Switch too. At the very least, it seems more feasible than HITMAN 2016 and HITMAN 2 if we WERE to get a Hitman game.

But yeah outside of that, not really expecting anything with this Direct. I like to be pleasantly surprised so imma just let Nintendo take the reins.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yabuki's team is a mysterious piece of the puzzle, that's for sure. The release timing of their next project will probably depend on what it ends up being (it could be a big core title of a quarter, or they could be working on something smaller); the only problem is that we have no idea what they're working on, lol.

I'm personally inclined to think that it's a major title. Small games are not that studio's forte, and regardless of people's feelings on MK9/NK/ARMS they could very well be working on any of those. If Zelda isn't ready, their gane could be. I'll say their game is the most likely unannounced game to be released this year.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection would be my jam, always wanted to get into that series.

I've been waiting for this for years. Battle Network is one of my top five favorite video game series. I feel like it's BN's time but it's my luck for them to make a legacy collection of every iteration of Megaman then stop at the only one I care about.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

How did the Mana collection sell? If it sold well, I could totally see similar collections for the 8-bt (1-2-3) and 16-bit (4-5-6) Final Fantasies. I mean, why not?

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued about next project by Team Mario Kart. Hopefully it would be a brand new IP or MK8D DLC but it's probably something else so I'm going to be wrong on that.

Jan 11, 2018
I really need something Metroid related to get excited about.

I can't describe how excited I was after this trailer (really, the final product is a no, but man... this trailer give me chills)

Gave me chills also, and then they gave us nothing for 9 months, and released this beauty of a trailer:

I was convinced this was going to be the best Metroid game ever at the time. Obviously that didn't happen, but they sure got me hyped as hell haha.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for this for years. Battle Network is one of my top five favorite video game series. I feel like it's BN's time but it's my luck for them to make a legacy collection of every iteration of Megaman then stop at the only one I care about.
Nah, they're not stopping. The next one comes out just over a month from now. Capcom isn't inept enough to skip the series that overall seemed to sell the best consistently.
Probably late 2021 if I had to guess. It's just a question of how they release content for both versions for 3 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.