• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
For first half of the year, I think it goes like this:
January: TMS#FE
March: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX, Animal Crossing
April: Xenoblade Definitive Edition
May: Pikmin 3
June: Mario Golf, Pokémon DLC
July: Bravely II
August: Super Mario 3D World

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Will Donkey Kong reveal himself

Nintendo of America's new Vice President, Karl Kong will host the next direct. DK will show up because he thought he was hosting the Direct. I'm a relative, he didn't want me telling people but I needed to take a break from my indie rock career to let you guys know how the next Direct will go down, it's only right.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so which game is coming to Switch? Outer Groundhog or Outer Fallout? I can't believe neither one blinked and changed its name tbh...

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Will Donkey Kong reveal himself
images

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Between TMS, Mystery Dungeon and Animal Crossing, the first quarter is packed. No need for a direct till late March. Hope the people at Nintendo who read this reconsider and delay the direct.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
So if a Direct is to come next week (and being ever the optimist, I belieeeeveee) when would the announcement happen? Tuesday?

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Have we ever had a general direct on a Tuesday? Like with an announcement on a Monday? I feel like they've been on Wednesdays at the earliest.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Have we ever had a general direct on a Tuesday? Like with an announcement on a Monday? I feel like they've been on Wednesdays at the earliest.
Probably at some point in the Wii U era, but never for a General Direct since 2016. Wednesday at the earliest for most time-zones, but this year we'll probably be looking at Thursday Directs instead.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Just a few comments from my side:

1. End of may seems to be a great release date for Xeno Remake. To deliver it out before E3, is definitely a right move. But beside of that, I highly doubt that we will see another game of Monolith Soft this E3. They are working on Xeno Remake + supporting work for BotW 2 and Animal Crossing. I know that they improved their staff very strongly, but I don't think that their next big project will be released before summer 2021 (at the earliest). Due to that, they will not reveal it so early.

2. I don't think that the ports of Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 will be released so close to each other. One of them in April/May and the other one in autumn - thats my guess

3. Regarding the Pokemon DLC stuff that was announced yesterday, I think it can be said that the next "big" Pokemongames (remakes, new mainline games) will most probably not arrive before end of 2021

4. I think that either BotW2 or EPD Tokyos game will be the big holiday game 2020 - sorrounded by other Mid-Tier games like Super Mario Party 2, Bayonetta 3 and maybe some more kind of 3rd-Party-Exclusive (Ubisoft?)

5. Where the f*** is Monster Hunter Switch??

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Just a few comments from my side:

1. End of may seems to be a great release date for Xeno Remake. To deliver it out before E3, is definitely a right move. But beside of that, I highly doubt that we will see another game of Monolith Soft this E3. They are working on Xeno Remake + supporting work for BotW 2 and Animal Crossing. I know that they improved their staff very strongly, but I don't think that their next big project will be released before summer 2021 (at the earliest). Due to that, they will not reveal it so early.

2. I don't think that the ports of Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 will be released so close to each other. One of them in April/May and the other one in autumn - thats my guess

3. Regarding the Pokemon DLC stuff that was announced yesterday, I think it can be said that the next "big" Pokemongames (remakes, new mainline games) will most probably not arrive before end of 2021

4. I think that either BotW2 or EPD Tokyos game will be the big holiday game 2020 - sorrounded by other Mid-Tier games like Super Mario Party 2, Bayonetta 3 and maybe some more kind of 3rd-Party-Exclusive (Ubisoft?)

5. Where the f*** is Monster Hunter Switch??
Dude number 5 man...If Capcom only released a SINGLE new Switch game other than Megan Man 11, I would want it to be a new MH switch game. Forget Ace Attorney or any other IP. I would happy with just that and all the overpriced ports/remaster Capcom can shove down our throats.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I'm all for 3D World port, but I still wish they dropped it in December/January because the Apr-Jun window we are now predicting makes Odyssey 2 seem like a Spring 2021 at best. Question is, does that mean BotW2 really is holiday 2020? Also, what does that mean for other Mario games this year? Golf, Strikers, Paper?

3D World April and Mario spin off September perhaps?

2021 is feeling like Odyssey 2 H1 and MP4 H2.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Yeah, really need that. MHGU/XX is getting somewhat stale by now. And MH still is my favourite go-to game for sessions in between other games/RPGs.

Yes. It is so weird. A new Monster Hunter Game would fit perfectly to switchs lineup, mostly due to its japanese relevance. If capcom wants to bring some other big Monster Hunter Game from now till 2023, they have to release it on Switch.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter doesn't feel like it would really be a big deal at this point. I can't imagine MonHun fans coming back to a "lesser" experience after World, and I can't imagine a Switch game being able to match what World has done. The future of that franchise has left Nintendo's ecosystem.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I'm all for 3D World port, but I still wish they dropped it in December/January because the Apr-Jun window we are now predicting makes Odyssey 2 seem like a Spring 2021 at best. Question is, does that mean BotW2 really is holiday 2020? Also, what does that mean for other Mario games this year? Golf, Strikers, Paper?

3DW DX is too big a deal for Jan. TMS has that spot this year. Also I don't get where people are coming up with the possibility of Odyssey 2 launching this year or before Botw 2. There is no way they reveal and release Odyssey 2 before Zelda.

And on the topic of 2021, I would swap Odyssey 2 and MP4.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

I would prefer that rumored racing game in April (or Pikmin 3 DX) and Bayo 3 in September. Perhaps with Shin Megami Tensei V in August. SM3DW just screams early 2020 or late December 2020 (or Jan 2021).

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Monster Hunter doesn't feel like it would really be a big deal at this point. I can't imagine MonHun fans coming back to a "lesser" experience after World, and I can't imagine a Switch game being able to match what World has done. The future of that franchise has left Nintendo's ecosystem.
It doesn't have to match World at all. It just needs to be a seamless world with no loading screens and new Monsters + World's QoL features. Main things to cut would be the multiple monsters fighting each other and LoD. Also the main point of a Switch MH would be that it would be a new portable MH. It's been THREE years since MH XX released in Japan at this point.

Although if we don't hear any news about a Switch MH by the end of this year, I'll have given up on it. Best I can hope for after that would be a World port to Switch 2.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

Why couldn't a Switch game match World? Was the experience completely defined by its visuals, because that's probably the only thing they can't actually replicate. Even without matching that quality there's plenty of room for a good looking game if they want to make it happen (look at DQXIS)

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017

Why couldn't a Switch game match World? Was the experience completely defined by its visuals, because that's probably the only thing they can't actually replicate. Even without matching that quality there's plenty of room for a good looking game if they want to make it happen (look at DQXIS)
Exactly. With a Switch MH, we'll finally know what that PS3/360 MH game would've looked like.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
A Monster Hunter game for Switch would do huge numbers in Japan and the game would perform way better than Generations Ultimate(which did very well in the west) WW

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Monster Hunter Land?

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
I expect SMT5 to release this winter in Japan. Maybe in November/December. Western release should be early 2021 then.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to match World at all. It just needs to be a seamless world with no loading screens and new Monsters + World's QoL features. Main things to cut would be the multiple monsters fighting each other and LoD. Also the main point of a Switch MH would be that it would be a new portable MH. It's been THREE years since MH XX released in Japan at this point.

Although if we don't hear any news about a Switch MH by the end of this year, I'll have given up on it. Best I can hope for after that would be a World port to Switch 2.
A Monster Hunter game for Switch would do huge numbers in Japan and the game would perform way better than Generations Ultimate(which did very well in the west) WW
I'm not the biggest MonHun fan, but I have quite a few friends that are, and they all are head over heels for World. I am not 100% familiar with all the features, but yeah the improved visuals and stuff like the multiple monsters fighting each other I am sure are factors.

I am sure a new portable MonHun would do very well in Japan, but I'm not super convinced it would everywhere else. Monster Hunter World brought the series to a new height -- it has far exceeded the sales of every previous entry. I can't imagine everyone who has now gotten into World for the last couple years wanting to go back to an experience that looks worse, and potentially has less features.

Of course, the Portable series existed for a long time alongside the mainline games, and that very well could continue to exist on Switch, but, well, that isn't a mainline game. I know there's people only have/game on Nintendo systems, or view MonHun as an exclusively portable experience. I am sure the inevitable Switch game, whatever it is, will sell decently well because of that. I just can't imagine it being as big a deal as 3, 4, and X were given that World now exists and was clearly the next evolution.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
An exclusive MH for switch would still be a huge seller. It could sell something between 3 and 4 Mio. Units alone in Japan, worldwide maybe 6 to 7 Mio. Units. And capcom could release an improved ultimate version one year later which will also sell very well. So yeah, it will definitely be a good deal for both sides.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny. But I think you're on the right track.
Capcom switching to Alternating releases between a traditional numbered entry and a World entry would be great

2020 Monster Hunter 5
2021 Monster Hunter World 2 ect
Lots of series have benefitted from using one IP to cover 2 distinct sub series that represent the old and new. Mario 2D/3D, Zelda 2D/3D Metroid 2D/Prime. I think it's great!

I wish Final Fantasy would do the same, alternating between a big budget AAA entry and then a PS1 era style game in the mainline series.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An exclusive MH for switch would still be a huge seller. It could sell something between 3 and 4 Mio. Units alone in Japan, worldwide maybe 6 to 7 Mio. Units. And capcom could release an improved ultimate version one year later which will also sell very well. So yeah, it will definitely a good deal for both sides.
not to mention nintendo would advertise and market the shit out of it, maybe even publish it outside japan.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Pokemon-TMS-Pokemon-Animal Crossing-Possible ports
This is the worst timeline for me :S

This is probably a good time for me to start a huge timesink like DQXIS.

I am sure a new portable MonHun would do very well in Japan, but I'm not super convinced it would everywhere else. Monster Hunter World brought the series to a new height -- it has far exceeded the sales of every previous entry. I can't imagine everyone who has now gotten into World for the last couple years wanting to go back to an experience that looks worse, and potentially has less features.

MH on Switch has sold more in the west than in Japan, it even launched in the west after the release of World. I think you underestimate the MH audience. Also, why would a potential have less features? Clearly it wouldnt look as great as World did but I cant imagine it having less features.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done expecting things from Capcom. Ace Attorney 4-6 collection hasn't even been announced yet a year later...

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
i'm a believer in companies not passing on guaranteed 5-6 million sellers

Normally i'd be with you in this thought ... but man in the 30 years i've been playing video games, i sure witnessed some straight up mindblowing decisions mostly by japanese publishers and developers.

Yes, being european and with that locked out of many great game series for decades still haunts me to this day.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
May 29 release for XBC would be nice but I'd have to know when Bravely Default II and Zelda come out as well. All three will be most likely very meaty games.

Status
Not open for further replies.