• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping for some more Square Enix ports in the next direct. I'd love to see other PSOne games like Parasite Eve, Musashi, and Chrono Cross get the port treatment.

Sep 29, 2019
I doubt we'll see any Kirby game in 2020 considering Star Allies was 2018 and that f2p Kirby game released in September 2019, I think they're cooking the next mainline singleplayer Kirby (ala Robobot/Triple Deluxe) for 2021
The F2P Kirby game was a port from the 3DS game. It didn't take much money or time for them to port, and that'd give them significant time to work on a new Kirby game (if they started right after Star Allies). It's usually a new Kirby game every two years, so i find it very likely for a new Kirby game to be announced this year

Sep 29, 2019
I have a feeling 2020 will be a weaker year for Nintendo...
I would call it very difficult. Nintendo knows they are going to "compete" against next-gen consoles this holiday. They are going to prepare for it, or else, they are gonna fall really short. The competition between XSX and PS5 can be big enough to shadow Nintendo Switch entirely if Nintendo doesn't prepare, but they sure did rack up some good software. However, i really doubt a revision of the Switch will be coming out this year or next year. Maybe later in it's lifetime, but not now.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Hmm. Maybe an AC fan can say how much sense this makes or not or if it's a valid reason to not have Cloud saved.
It's not competetive or anything, it's about fun so i hope cloud saves are in, this statement is from summer so a lot of things can change, and if am correct on eShop page it says cloud save support - pending.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I deleted a lot of the irrelevant info (info not really connected to Switch) but vivftp found this pastebin (tons more stuff within) and posted it in the next gen speculation thread, shall we humor it? humor it we shall!

Its fun to read and speculate i'm sorry
I don't know why but somehow I found this leak to be believable (even though these type of things usually turn out to be fake). I'll write down the Switch parts and it makes for a good year: I think its all very reasonable to expect and comparable to 2019 third party support.

Capcom
-
One of the future DLC characters for Smash is a Capcom Rep but they are pulling a SE by sending out a ton of different names. I've heard Dante, Phoenix Wright and even Arthur
- Capcom is working on more Megaman games. They included Megaman 12, X9, and a Legends 1 & 2 Remake Collection. X9 specifically is a Stadia timed exclusive for 1 year
- Dino Crisis is getting a remake to try and test interest in the IP (might only be Playstation/Xbox
- A new MH game is coming that is exclusive to Switch and will use some of the new features and ideas Monster Hunter World introduced
- Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is coming to Switch
Konami
- Rouge Corps did so bad that the DLC is possibly being cancelled and the Contra IP is being shelved indefinitely
- Bloodstained is forbidden to be talked about in the offices
- Bomberman Heros and 64 are getting a remake collection exclusive to Switch
Activision
- New Crash game is being made, takes heavy inspiration from the classic games and the title is even being considered to be called Crash Bandicoot 4.
- Pro Skater Remake of 1 and 2 is real, should be a 2021 launch (could be PS/Xbox only)
- Skylanders is getting revived but the figures are not coming back, instead there being replaced with a gatcha system and it's going to be free to start mobile title.
Ubisoft
- Mario + Rabbids 2 does exist and is progressing very well. It'll release in 2020. It will also have Rayman as a major part of the game's story in it.
- new 2D Rayman in the works, uses same artstyle and engine as Legends and Origins. Also a new 3D Rayman is being prototyped.
Rockstar
- Bringing GTA 3, San Andres, Vice City, Red Dead Redemption 1, Bully, and GTA5 to Switch. GTA5 will be one of the first games to use the 64 GB cartridges.
Microsoft
- Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, and Rare Replay all coming to Switch
- Cuphead DLC is Xbox timed exclusive for 3 months
Nintendo
- No information on Smash besides the Capcom DLC and that I only know because of a Capcom source. Smash leaks seem to have dried up.
- Animal Crossing Switch Lite variant is coming
- Pokémon Diamond and Pearl remakes are next year's Pokémon games and will have the ability to transfer every Pokémon to that game after the backlash of SwSh, which while it didn't effect sales, was considered a PR blunder internally
- Tomodachi Life sequel is coming
- Was some rumors that they were interested in buying out Level 5 but nothing concrete
Bethesda
- Fallout 4 port for Switch, uses 64 GB cartridge
- New Vegas will be getting an HD remaster on all platforms, including switch, as a sort of apology to Fallout fans after the 76 disaster. It'll include all the DLC.
- Eternal was delayed mainly to fix the multiplayer which has been very buggy and laggy. They do not want a repeat of the 76 launch and are making sure the online features and multiplayer works as best it can. The Switch port is planned for the Fall.
Sega
- Sonic Adventure Remake is coming
- Mania 2 is a 2020 title, and is pretty much almost done
- Team Sonic Racing major DLC update with new characters and tracks, including an appearance from AiAi from Super Monkey Ball
- Dreamcast SEGA Ages titles finally happening
- Super Monkey Ball 1,2, and 3 are getting HD remakes, and will be released on Switch first as a timed exclusive in 2021
-

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I remember from the 1st half of the year is DK Tropical Freeze in May
Right
Bayonetta 1&2 in february, Kirby Star Allies in march.
I don't think there was anything in january.
Yeah so I think it's safe to say Q1 for 2020 is better than Q1 of 2018 meaning 2020 already has a head start of being better than 2018. You know because I said "Q1" in my initial post that for some reason he decided to cut out when he quoted me lol.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I don't know why but somehow I found this leak to be believable (even though these type of things usually turn out to be fake). I'll write down the Switch parts and it makes for a good year: I think its all very reasonable to expect and comparable to 2019 third party support.
It's not believable. Absolutely not.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Remember that at this point last year we had no idea about Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Super Mario Maker 2 and Cadence of Hyrule. Not even Pokemon was truly confirmed.

2020 will be fine, no 3DS games are in development for at least a year and we should start to see the results of Nintendo focusing on only one system this year.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Remember that at this point last year we had no idea about Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Super Mario Maker 2 and Cadence of Hyrule. Not even Pokemon was truly confirmed.

2020 will be fine, no 3DS games are in development for at least a year and we should start to see the results of Nintendo focusing on only one system this year.
Yup

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps already mentioned, but Nintendo's FY 2019 Nine Months Earnings Release is on January 30, 2020. A news conference (for press) is likely on that day with the usual Financial Results Briefing following the day after. Also, FY 2019 has yet to see a Corporate Management Policy Briefing, which usually happens once every fiscal year, so that is very likely to happen on January 31. A Nintendo Direct broadcast prior to these dates would be a smart move. Though the CMPB usually features many interesting news as well, although not in terms of game announcements. But we could potentially hear about new Nintendo Switch hardware (Pro, new SKUs etc.) then.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep. Also, Jons GOTY Tetris 99 wasn't known and neither was Boxboy + Boxgirl.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
3DS games are not in development for a good while (more than a year), and it were just re-releases or remakes. Nintendo din't developed first party content for it since like 2017.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Emily in here with the hot new insight and yet I haven't seen any talk of a new Endless Ocean, the game the world needs right now.

Endless Ocean on modern hardware would be amazing. The first game was a tad light, but the sequel already fleshed things out into a pretty good game. A third could be a much bigger deal.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Endless Ocean on modern hardware would be amazing. The first game was a tad light, but the sequel already fleshed things out into a pretty good game. A third could be a much bigger deal.
Revive Cosmic Walker instead

first-look-cosmic-walker-20081002092608642_640w.jpg

Sep 29, 2019
You know a game that i'd love to see dropping on the Nintendo Switch? The Sims 4. It's a very light game and i believe it wouldn't be too hard for EA to port it, but again... It's EA, and second, it's The Sims. I'm just hoping one day to see a decent portable version of The Sims, at least once.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I could care about from EA is Mass Effect Trilogy and the first 2 Dead Space games on Switch.

Oh yeah I'd take SSX and SSX Tricky on Switch too

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding W101, I didn't really like that game either. I appreciate that it was something new and different for the Wii U's library, and didn't hold back on creative elements. I'm not against it getting another chance either for the people who want to play it again or didn't get a chance to try it.

But I just did not like the core gameplay of essentially having to trace symbols in order to change stances in combat. Also say what you will of the combat depth, but the game really wasn't inviting to newcomers when YouTube tutorials were being recommended to learn how to play the game. Or how a move that's pretty much required to finish the game like Unite Guts was put in the shop of all things. I am curious if porting it to Switch and cutting off the Gamepad would perhaps cause Platinum to re-evaluate and iron out rough edges in the game, or be to its detriment.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I could care about from EA is Mass Effect Trilogy and the first 2 Dead Space games on Switch.

Oh yeah I'd take SSX and SSX Tricky on Switch too
Regarding Mass Effect although it makes total sense I think EA will do.
In such a scenario they'll release Mass Effect 2 one May and will announce that all Mass Effect games on other platforms and websites cost $1 each in the whole month of April.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
You know a game that i'd love to see dropping on the Nintendo Switch? The Sims 4. It's a very light game and i believe it wouldn't be too hard for EA to port it, but again... It's EA, and second, it's The Sims. I'm just hoping one day to see a decent portable version of The Sims, at least once.
Of all EA's catalogue, it's the game that makes the most sense on Switch (and I would love it, nowadays Sims 4 is, imo, perfect, it has become my favorite Sims), but EA recently said that there's not an audience on Switch for The Sims... Fuck EA.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Perhaps already mentioned, but Nintendo's FY 2019 Nine Months Earnings Release is on January 30, 2020. A news conference (for press) is likely on that day with the usual Financial Results Briefing following the day after. Also, FY 2019 has yet to see a Corporate Management Policy Briefing, which usually happens once every fiscal year, so that is very likely to happen on January 31. A Nintendo Direct broadcast prior to these dates would be a smart move. Though the CMPB usually features many interesting news as well, although not in terms of game announcements. But we could potentially hear about new Nintendo Switch hardware (Pro, new SKUs etc.) then.
While it's important to note that Directs aren't tied to earning releases, and that the earnings release is for shareholders and analysts, while the Directs are marketing events which target fans, it's also the case that we will in all probability have a Direct before the next set of financial results. It's been the case that every Direct for the last 5 years or so has taken place in the first half of the month - while Nintendo always announce their financial results on the last day of a month, with a briefing on the following day (July for Q1 results, October for Q2 results, January for Q3 results, April for Q4 and whole financial year results). The two aren't connected - last year, for example, Nintendo announced their financial results as normal at the end of January before broadcasting a general Direct with several major game announcements in February.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Re:Pikmin 3 port

Honestly at this point? I would much rather a Pikmin Collection than just 3. Don't get me wrong, Pikmin 3 rules and I will buy it anyway, but not throwing in ports of 1 and 2 would feel weird to me.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, my bad. I thought he was saying the whole year.

People on this forum can be so pedantic sometimes. I mean it's pretty obvious that one game alone can't be better than the complete line up of a whole year.

A Nintendo Direct broadcast prior to these dates would be a smart move. Though the CMPB usually features many interesting news as well, although not in terms of game announcements. But we could potentially hear about new Nintendo Switch hardware (Pro, new SKUs etc.) then.

While I believe in a January Direct this year I don't think the Investor's meeting at the end of January makes a Direct more likely like last year has shown where the Direct happened in early February instead.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Of all EA's catalogue, it's the game that makes the most sense on Switch (and I would love it, nowadays Sims 4 is, imo, perfect, it has become my favorite Sims), but EA recently said that there's not an audience on Switch for The Sims... Fuck EA.

They literally think no one but bunch of 6 year olds own Switch. I bet they're unaware Switch's record hardware sales of ~50 million, but when it hits 70m which I think will happen next year, their stance will change. They love money and even they can't ignore the huge amounts of money to be made on Switch.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
There's no relation between Directs and Investors Meetings.
The announcement video for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire was dropped right before an investor meeting in 2014, and was a key point of said meeting. I'm sure there are other examples of this. While there's never a guarantee, they should have the Direct in January if they want to reassure investors they have a strong lineup this year. It's definitely not unprecedented.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The announcement video for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire was dropped right before an investor meeting in 2014, and was a key point of said meeting. I'm sure there are other examples of this. While there's never a guarantee, they should have the Direct in January if they want to reassure investors they have a strong lineup this year. It's definitely not unprecedented.
Eh it's a here or there thing. They had a February direct last year and we went into 2019 not knowing much either.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Re:Pikmin 3 port

Honestly at this point? I would much rather a Pikmin Collection than just 3. Don't get me wrong, Pikmin 3 rules and I will buy it anyway, but not throwing in ports of 1 and 2 would feel weird to me.

Those are 480p games that would require complete remasterings and hence a lot more work. Wii U games don't need to be remastered since they are the same resolution.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are the two Wii U ports that obvious? There's still Pikmin 3, 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Paper Mario, Star Fox Zero, Nintendoland, and Game and Wario.

Ok, maybe not the last three.
Paper Mario probably isn't likely, especially with it being much more likely that IS moved on to their next project by now. SFZ, Nintendoland, and Game and Wario are like the only three Wii U games that used to Gamepad extensively, so they're very unlikely.

Only the first two and an HD Zelda collection would make the most sense. And if I had to guess, I'd say the first two over the Zelda collection.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Also they announced New 2DS XL hours before investor meeting (or maybe it was right there), but this is for hardware side of things.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if the next Fire Emblem (likely the next remake) is coming sooner than later. Could we possibly see it by the end of the year? IS didn't play a bit part in TH's development, after all, and there was that rumor that a FE 3DS game was restarted development for the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.