• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
RDR2 is a long slow burn. I'm much more likely to finish such long games on Switch than anywhere else, so call me interested.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I'm definitely expecting something Earthbound related this year.

lol, oh man, you've just unleashed the beast now.

Hahaha, I know it's dangerous to invoke that franchise these days, but... I don't know, something feels... off. Call it my "working in the games industry for 19 years" sense, or call it complete and utter madness, but I don't think Nintendo is immune to the furore that is Mother/Earthbound (especially when it's become a global meme). I can understand the hesitation to release Mother 3 without substantial changes, but... given how excited fan bases got for remakes such as FF7, I do wonder if Nintendo would just go back to Earthbound and give it a revamp which would then maaaaaaaaybe in the future, pave the way for a remade (e.g. potentially less offensive) Mother 3.

Earthbound's sales were strong in the initial re-release, and a remake would require less Itoi involvement while potentially re-using (let's say) part of the Link's Awakening visual engine. It fills a gap in the market (quirky RPG), temporarily quells fan demand for Mother 3, and, if it sells well enough, provides an easy-fit engine revamp for the sequel...

Not that any insiders would even dare hint towards such a thing, due to the horrible backlash of anything going sidewards. I honestly think Emily was on the money with the original Mother 3 rumour, but something made NCL change its mind. However, everything kinda lines up - Switch is a runaway success, the market is (more) open for this sort of game and the company is far more aware of its brand power and IP than ever before.

I'm with Dark Cloud on this one. Something is up. If Square - of all companies - can translate and remake Mana 3, and Moon get the same treatment, there's clearly market appetite that can be catered to...

EDIT:

From the man himself:

Sorry, everyone.

You heart-breaker, you ;-)

But I suspect a remake of the 2nd game (or even the first?), more than Mother 3 at this stage...

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
There's some indie games I really want. I hope they have dates for Cross code and Silksong in the direct. RDR2 would be mind blowing but I wouldn't even buy it because from what I've seen so far its the kind of game that would bore me to death. If it does get ported though it would be the second time Switch gets a huge impossible game like Witcher 3 which is good for the future of the platform.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You've heard wrong, it was the best game of 2018. Absolutely incredible experience.

giphy.gif

"incredible" really hits the nail on the head tho

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Dream announcement: From decides their output for the past decade was lame, makes the 2020s the decade of Lost Kingdoms 3.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I don't believe it yet despite 2 rumours shortly before a Direct. But if RDR2 were true we knew why they didn't bother about GTA5. They were too busy getting their own miracle port to run...

Also, been mentioning this before: Can we finally agree that the overly specific IGN April Fools' might have been an announcement? Guys?

Updated IGN 2019 April Fool' list (* for strong rumors or already true):

Mario 64
* Metroid Prime Trilogy
Half-Life 2
GTA 5
Mass Effect
Portal 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Batman: Arkham City
* Red Dead Redemption 2
* Witcher 3
Fallout 3
* Link's Awakening
* A link to the past
* NES Zeldas
* Overwatch
* Mario World
Modern Warfare 2

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha, I know it's dangerous to invoke that franchise these days, but... I don't know, something feels... off. Call it my "working in the games industry for 19 years" sense, or call it complete and utter madness, but I don't think Nintendo is immune to the furore that is Mother/Earthbound (especially when it's become a global meme). I can understand the hesitation to release Mother 3 without substantial changes, but... given how excited fan bases got for remakes such as FF7, I do wonder if Nintendo would just go back to Earthbound and give it a revamp which would then maaaaaaaaybe in the future, pave the way for a remade (e.g. potentially less offensive) Mother 3.

Earthbound's sales were strong in the initial re-release, and a remake would require less Itoi involvement while potentially re-using (let's say) part of the Link's Awakening visual engine. It fills a gap in the market (quirky RPG), temporarily quells fan demand for Mother 3, and, if it sells well enough, provides an easy-fit engine revamp for the sequel...

Not that any insiders would even dare hint towards such a thing, due to the horrible backlash of anything going sidewards. I honestly think Emily was on the money with the original Mother 3 rumour, but something made NCL change its mind. However, everything kinda lines up - Switch is a runaway success, the market is (more) open for this sort of game and the company is far more aware of its brand power and IP than ever before.

I'm with Dark Cloud on this one. Something is up. If Square - of all companies - can translate and remake Mana 3, and Moon get the same treatment, there's clearly market appetite that can be catered to...

Right. The timing feels right. Like you said Itoi doesn't have to have much involvement on a remake. Something Mother or Mother 2 remake could work to kickstart the series for a modern audience and fans who love it. Plus we'll get another turn based RPG from Nintendo which is nice.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I expect you to quote me again and whine some more.

I expect my avi of a Pokeball wearing a Waluigi thong to make my a little uncomfortable each time I look at it. But that's because it's known and I find comfort in the known unkowns.

I think I just feel sensitive to the word because of how often I see people rage-bitching about things not coming to pass because it didn't meet their "expectations". Consumer entitlement and all. Sorry if I offended.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Imran and Nate joined Team January just yesterday, right after the SKUs were debunked as false. I wonder if that's a coincidence or if there was new information yesterday evening.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't believe it yet despite 2 rumours shortly before a Direct. But if RDR2 were true we knew why they didn't bother about GTA5. They were too busy getting their own miracle port to run...

Also, been mentioning this before: Can we finally agree that the overly specific IGN April Fools' might have been an announcement? Guys?

Updated IGN 2019 April Fool' list (* for strong rumors or already true):

Mario 64
* Metroid Prime Trilogy
Half-Life 2
GTA 5
Mass Effect
Portal 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Batman: Arkham City
* Red Dead Redemption 2
* Witcher 3
Fallout 3
* Link's Awakening
* A link to the past
* NES Zeldas
* Overwatch
* Mario World
Modern Warfare 2

Link's Awakening didn't appear in IGN's video since it had already been announced in the Direct that took place in February. I think the other ones that they nailed, such as Overwatch and The Witcher 3, were just lucky guesses backed by some rumors.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Idc for Red Dead Redemption 2. I heard bad things about the gameplay and other stuff.
I know it's 2020, but are you already forgetting how close it was to winning GOTY? Not to mention the 95 MC score. You don't win as many GOTYs as it did and have bad gameplay lol.
Parts of the game are divisive, but seldom have I heard problems with the core gameplay itself, it's generally other mechanics or the structure of the game itself.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's 2020, but are you already forgetting how close it was to winning GOTY? Not to mention the 95 MC score. You don't win as many GOTYs as it did and have bad gameplay lol.
Parts of the game are divisive, but seldom have I heard problems with the core gameplay itself, it's generally other mechanics or the structure of the game itself.
I'm just telling you what I heard. If it comes to Switch I'll look more into it because I loved Red Dead Redemption as I said earlier.

Oct 27, 2017
Got to admit, this is probably the most excited I've been for a Nintendo Direct in a long time.

The 3DS is essentially done receiving games, and the Switch outside of Animal Crossing, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Rune Factory IV, and Bravely Default II, doesn't have that much lined up for it this year.

That, and with the end of last year, we pretty much have every single one of Nintendo's mainline franchises on the Switch now. So who know what could come next?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of 3DS^. I remember when people would bemoan the 3DS section of the direct and would hope it would get a small section. We kept predicting a few minutes as time went until...it disappeared

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to admit, this is probably the most excited I've been for a Nintendo Direct in a long time.

The 3DS is essentially done receiving games, and the Switch outside of Animal Crossing, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Rune Factory IV, and Bravely Default II, doesn't have that much lined up for it this year.

That, and with the end of last year, we pretty much have every single one of Nintendo's mainline franchises on the Switch now. So who know what could come next?
We're still missing Pikmin, Paper Mario, Star Fox, some of the Mario sports games

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what the incentive would be for Nintendo to launch a Switch Pro rather than a true successor 3-4 years from now.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see what the incentive would be for Nintendo to launch a Switch Pro rather than a true successor 3-4 years from now.

I'd be genuinely surprised if they had a Pro model mainly because no one's really said what that would look like internally. If they went for a new chipset, they might as well go for the Switch 2 considering the jump. The New Switch was basically it IMO.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
It's just that I've been a fan of this franchise for decades now. It's seemingly cursed with how often things get close to happening and then just, well, don't.

I hear ya. I was the same for years, and kinda just treat it as an ongoing laugh now, to keep my sanity. That said, I honestly do think something is on its way. Not necessarily Mother 3, but I don't think NCL has given up on the IP.

Right. The timing feels right. Like you said Itoi doesn't have to have much involvement on a remake. Something Mother or Mother 2 remake could work to kickstart the series for a modern audience and fans who love it. Plus we'll get another turn based RPG from Nintendo which is nice.

Agreed. Nintendo is extremely prudent, but it's become less... narrow in its scope during the Switch era. And in a generation of 'pie in the sky wish fulfilment' coming true (Shenmue! FF 7 Remake! The Last Guardian! Moon translation! Mana 3 translation! Open world - and portable - Zelda! Revisions, remasters and remakes of everything from Planescape Torment to Resident Evil 2 to Link's Awakening), now would certainly be the time for an Earthbound shaped surprise.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the biggest problem with a Switch Pro is that Nintendo and Nvidia would need to make a new SoC. people bring up Xavier but that has a different and custom CPU, which would put a dent on things

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
God, it would blow my mind to see any brand-new Earthbound-related content from Nintendo, at this point. I'm so used to Smash being basically the only acknowledgement the series gets from the company. A proper remake or translation in 2020 sounds like a magical, wonderful pipe dream to me, but I'd love if my opinion that Mother's basically a dead series was overturned.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
the biggest problem with a Switch Pro is that Nintendo and Nvidia would need to make a new SoC. people bring up Xavier but that has a different and custom CPU, which would put a dent on things
This.

As the other analyst said (and many informed people), there's no point for Nvidia and Nintendo in making an improved Switch when there's an upgraded Tegra chip already used in the new Switch, and that anything else would require a brand new chip (aka Switch 2).

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I also wonder what possibly happened to Pikmin 4. Has it been hinted by someone as coming or even as still existing? I think it's so weird that Miyamoto said Pikmin 4 said development was almost over... Nearly 5 years ago. Did they dump it, or restart development?

I'm just breaking my heart on the safe side and telling myself he meant Hey Pikmin! and Pikmin 4 were one and the same. The series is dead and all I can do is weep.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still of the opinion that if there's no Switch Pro, the Switch 2 needs to come in 2022 at the very latest. 6 years would be too long.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm just breaking my heart on the safe side and telling myself he meant Hey Pikmin! and Pikmin 4 were one and the same. The series is dead and all I can do is weep.
It's definitely not dead. If Miyamoto can keep Star Fox coasting for decades on the fumes of a single decent game, he can keep Pikmin going on the back of a legitimately fantastic game in Pikmin 3.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still of the opinion that if there's no Switch Pro, the Switch 2 needs to come in 2022 at the very latest. 6 years would be too long.
That's far too early imo. 6 is pretty much standard for Nintendo, even longer if we include handhelds. Feels like Switch has too much momentum that I don't see flat lining in just two years.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope there is a direct soon because I have the Pikmin bug. If they announce a port of 3, I will play 1 and 2 on Wii U and replay 3 on Switch. If it's not coming, I'll just jump in on Wii U for the trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.