• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people are of the mind that it would be akin to Sonic and Sega All Stars, so there wouldn't be any "domination." Mostly Mario but at least one stage of representation for the other series.

But aren't there only like six or seven Sonic characters in those games, while everyone else is from another SEGA IP? That sounds like domination to me. Which is fine for that kind of game. But Mario Kart should always just be mostly Mario characters with like three or so guests.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Shrug I'm in the next week group although you never know what day. Then again they could be playing us all and it drops out of nowhere tomorrow... wouldn't be the first time for a mini direct

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Not if it's a spin-off. Just like Paper Mario is a spin-off to Super Mario Bros. You have your main series and then the spinoffs like Paper Mario, Mario Golf, Mario is Missing, Mario's love hotel, etc
Yes, I guess it could be possible. I really enjoyed the campaign in Splatoon 2 and from what I have heard the DLC is amazing too, so I would be superhappy with that kind of announcement. Nintendo has really managed to create a kind of shooter with more emphasis on platforming and a great level of challenge.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
y'know guys I'm kinda starting to worry about Animal Crossing.

the fact that we've seen the box art without any sign of another big element, like a hotel for instance, makes it seem like there may not be much we don't know.

But the holes are still there. We haven't seen:
- stores
- the museum
- most of the cast
- how the town develops (e.g. will there be a town hall eventually? A mayor?)

My excitement has been predicated on the potential of the new gameplay, but I fear that potential may be unrealized, and we've seen everything there is to see.

I recognize of course that it's silly to fret with a Direct incoming but the TV-style spot and box art are giving me pause. I hope they've just been tight-lipped to let the game reveal its surprises as it's played; basically everything about New Leaf was known before its release, a situation exacerbated by the regional delay.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

the fact that we've seen the box art without any sign of another big element, like a hotel for instance, makes it seem like there may not be much we don't know.

- stores
- the museum
- most of the cast

My excitement has been predicated on the potential of the new gameplay, but I fear that potential may be unrealized, and we've seen everything there is to see.

I recognize of course that it's silly to fret with a Direct incoming but the TV-style spot and box art are giving me pause. I hope they've just been tight-lipped to let the game reveal its surprises as it's played; basically everything about New Leaf was known before its release, a situation exacerbated by the regional delay.
I remember we didn't see towns in BOTW till the switch presentation trailer.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't last year's direct happened in February? I can't let myself be hyped again for a january direct after that excruciating wait.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A person on here who seems to get inside info.

Yes, I guess it could be possible. I really enjoyed the campaign in Splatoon 2 and from what I have heard the DLC is amazing too, so I would be superhappy with that kind of announcement. Nintendo has really managed to create a kind of shooter with more emphasis on platforming and a great level of challenge.
Octo Expansion is amazing. I loved the theme of it and the difficulty. It's the best single player experience for Splatoon.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I hope they will reveal a more of this stuff in Direct or AC Direct.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shrug I'm in the next week group although you never know what day. Then again they could be playing us all and it drops out of nowhere tomorrow... wouldn't be the first time for a mini direct
The mini direct came in the "average" year of 2018. I'm expecting big new first party announcements which can only come in a general direct.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But aren't there only like six or seven Sonic characters in those games, while everyone else is from another SEGA IP? That sounds like domination to me. Which is fine for that kind of game. But Mario Kart should always just be mostly Mario characters with like three or so guests.
8 out of 22, so nearly half. And close to half of the stages too iirc, so if anything it's Sonic domination. And it's also why people refer to this hypothetical game as Nintendo Kart, not Mario Kart.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
8 out of 22, so nearly half. And close to half of the stages too iirc, so if anything it's Sonic domination. And it's also why people refer to this hypothetical game as Nintendo Kart, not Mario Kart.
Transformed has far better balance than the first game though; 7 out of 31 characters (in the PC version) and 5/21 tracks are from Sonic. Still a bit of domination compared to other franchises (and Transformed also has some weird guest characters on that roster), but wouldn't people expect Mario to have a decent chunk of the cast in Nintendo Kart anyway?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
given the focus on crafting, i would almost bet that a lot of the Town Stuff is going to be shit you have to gather resources to craft yourself

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always like when we get close to a direct. You can feel the hype in the air, especially for this first direct because so much is possible when you basically have a clean slate for the year. Many people who don't post will post so it's cool to see.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I don't see how that's a bad thing. 3D platformers don't have to be any one thing. If you want tightly designed, linear obstacle courses with lots of creativity, 3D World will scratch that itch and isn't less valid than more open-ended games.
Oh, I agree, it's definitely no less valid. Like I said, I really like the game. It just doesn't really align with my personal ideal for a 3D Mario.

That said, I'll play the fuck out of it again if/when they bring it over to Switch.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
How many first-party reveals are we thinking will be in this January Direct? (Yes, this includes re-reveals of titles that don't have a release date/year yet and were revealed long ago)

I'm thinking 4-5 reveals, three or four new titles and one of two ports. Maybe something along these lines:
  1. Bayonetta 3 re-reveal
  2. Splatoon spin-off reveal
  3. Something from the Mario Kart team (F-Zero?)
  4. Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  5. Super Mario 3D World Remix
Then currently known stuff:
  1. Smash Bros Fighter Pass 5
  2. Animal Crossing
  3. BOTW 2
I don't think we'll see Xenoblade here, and I wouldn't be surprised if TMS was only shown in a sizzle reel instead of a new trailer.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
A new quick fake leak from /v/ lol:
Direct is January 7th.
>Switch Firmware v10.0 coming with folders and themes.
>Metro Redux
>No More Heroes 1 + 2 port
>Doom Eternal, 64, and 1+2 WADs Trailer
>Deadly Premonition 2 Release Date Trailer (July 2020)
>Tokyo Mirage Final Trailer
>Animal Crossing Trailer
>Earthbound and Mother coming to NSO
>Things to come in 2020 section includes, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Xenoblade DE Mario Soccer, Cuphead DLC, and Project S.T.E.A.M port
>SMT IV trailer with Q4 2020 release
>Final Smash Pass character is Paper Mario
They don't even bother researching their stuff now.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018

- stores
- the museum
- most of the cast

This is literally every game Nintendo keeps a lid on. BotW has no towns and Odyssey only has a few kingdoms.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
m3YOpTZ.png

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

- stores
- the museum
- most of the cast

There is no mayor. You are on an island owned by Tom Nook. He is the CEO and ruler of all.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I mean

why would they do Nintendo Kart when Mario Kart + DLC additions is a winning strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.