• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like Birdo, Spike, Piranha Plant, Burt, a Delfino dude, the Odyssey rabbits, King Bob Omb etc before any other franchises...

.... except Olimar.. He's too cute.. And maybe Kirby for my 6yo... And Cpt Falcon ofc ... and Snorlax ... and..
images

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Less baby characters, more obscure stuff like Wart and Fawful and MK9 will be perfect.
I still don't understand the ever-climbing number of baby characters. Why? Is there a silent majority of people out there who just love playing as babies, or do they think kids will relate more to them?

(I, for one, also don't think we need to be able to play as every Koopaling - it creates the same kind of imbalance in the overall cast as having a million babies does, to me).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The first priorities for new Mario characters are the two who were scrapped from previous installments: Kamek and E. Gadd.

I mean; Hammer Bro and Fire Mario were also cut from Wii and 8 respectively; but they're a bit lower down in priorities (for obvious reasons in regards to the latter).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
kirby and olimar need to happen. maybe a fire emblem swordsman as well :) what other obvious non-mario nintendo character is left?
i'd love to see fawful but now it would just be a sad reminder of what happened to alphadream.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand the ever-climbing number of baby characters. Why? Is there a silent majority of people out there who just love playing as babies, or do they think kids will relate more to them?

(I, for one, also don't think we need to be able to play as every Koopaling - it creates the same kind of imbalance in the overall cast as having a million babies does, to me).

I have to assume they're just easier to model???

I'd be more fine with them if they went all-in on weird babies. Bring in Baby Waluigi. Baby Toadsworth. Prince Boo. Baby Cacktella. Baby MIPS.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
If we're talking what Mario character should be next, it's Piranha Plant - he's iconic enough, and if he's good enough for Aces and Smash, hell, he's good enough to drive a kart.

I have to assume they're just easier to model???
Y'know, I for some reason didn't consider this, but you're probably right about that. If we proceed in the direction we have been, Baby Wario and Baby Waluigi are all but guaranteed in MK9, though.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Hey, thank you so much for the consideration. I'm very grateful to be able to serve my remaining tenure as an OP for NintendoEra; it was about to get a bit messy having the OP be banned. After that thread is complete, I'll leave the site voluntarily out of respect for the rules of the site.

Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to finish what I started. I promise you won't have to hear from me again.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
1. Reasons
2. Doesn't even have to play different. Some IPs that could be added would have their highest fidelity representation ever. Like F-Zero or Animal Crossing did

I am just trying to understand what's the difference between Nintendo Kart and Mario Kart because to me it's the exact same thing lol.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Mario Kart 9 next year makes sense if Nintendo plans to make Nintendo Kart instead of Mario Kart 10 for Switch 2.
A real next gen Mario Kart game would only shine on a new console.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo should definitely look to me for guidance in future Mario Kart roster decision-making. I mean, it's pretty obvious:
  • Start with the 8 Deluxe roster as a base; but make Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach and Dry Bowser alternate costumes with different animations and voice clips, but the same stats. Alternate costumes like this should be a regular thing (for example; Captain Toad for Toad).
  • Bring back everyone featured in Tour who aren't in 8 Deluxe (Pauline, Diddy Kong, Peachette, Birdo... and soon Nabbit and Honey Queen). All of those alternate forms of characters should be costumes (like Free-Running Koopa Troopa, all of the holiday costumes, Luigi's Mansion King Boo, etc.)
  • Pick up a few extra stragglers from previous Mario Kart games that haven't made it to a HD installment yet (Funky Kong, Paratroopa, R.O.B., Wiggler, Petey Piranha... and maybe Donkey Kong Jr. I guess).
Then you start adding more!
  • New stars from Odyssey: Cappy, Tiara, Topper, Hariet, Spewart, Rango
  • Classic Mario characters and bosses that aren't in yet: E. Gadd, Kamek, Boom Boom, Pom Pom, King Bob-omb
  • Some generic species characters, since those are fun sometimes: Spike, Chargin' Chuck, Pianta, Whittle, Tostarenan, Glydon
  • A few more babies to balance out the good and bad I guess (at least these ones are canon already): Baby Wario, Baby DK, Baby Yoshi
  • Donkey Kong and Wario series characters please: Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Captain Syrup, Mona, Jimmy T., Ashley, 9-Volt
  • Mario RPG characters: Fawful, Cackletta, Lord Crump, Vivian, Count Bleck, Dimentio, Geno, Mallow
  • And a few more Nintendo guests: Kirby, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Twintelle
and THAT'S how you go over-budget with a bloated roster with far too many character, lol.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart Tour is already MK9 anyway. The next console game will either be MKX or some word name

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
any list of Wario characters without Mad Scienstein goes right in the trash
Yeah, but I was told to rein it in on the crossovers from other Nintendo franchises.

I don't want Diddy Kong in Mario Kart. I want there to be a Diddy Kong Racing game.
There's no way they don't bring Diddy back in the next installment; they know people wanted Diddy back in 8, which is why he was one of the first new characters they put in Tour.

Nothing stopping him from appear in both though; he can hang out with DK and the Mario crew, then go over and race with his lesser-known buddies.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Jeez thread, why'd you slow down now and make me double post like that; totally embarrassing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Admin in another thread already said Raccoon is allowed to stay. Raccoon is a welcomed poster and I hope he stays after this thread runs his course.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Now that the matter is settled for the time being I think its place in the thread has dissolved. I'm just grateful to be able to finish out my time as OP; it would've been embarrassing for the community for me to have been permanently banned 9000 posts in.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Just because plans change doesn't mean the person's info isnt credible. There has even been a thing or two that I teased that ended up on the cutting room floor. It happens. Especially if you get very early info. Sometimes games are still in the pitch phase. I'm just very careful about what I say is going to come and dont say it until I am positive

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It's almost 7 in the morning in my time zone by the way, so I'm going to try to get a little bit of sleep. Thank you for your support guys, I won't let you down as OP.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love how a direct leak that includes a Pikmin 4 reveal and a Super Mario Odyssey 2 reveal picks the direct to end on another smash character. Also, it includes zero third party games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How will this general direct start and end? What will be the 2 big beginning and end announcements. A brand new Smash character to start and a brand new Smash character to end. 😈

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
How will this general direct start and end? What will be the 2 big beginning and end announcements. A brand new Smash character to start and a brand new Smash character to end. 😈
Only 2? The February 2019 had two big end announcements (which was pretty weird; but hey, more games), plus the opening reveal ;)

I have a feeling they might start with Smash this time though; they don't have an imminent character release to serve as a transition like they did in September, and just dropping it in the middle of the Direct would feel a bit awkward.

As for the end; in my dream scenario it'd be Odyssey 2 (since I want to believe in it being a June/July title); but that probably won't happen, so... Paper Mario? 2D Metroid? I dunno.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Would love to see more of BotW2, but I think they might wanna wait for an E3 blowout.

I think we'll get Intelligent Systems new game revealed which will release mid year. It'll either be Paper Mario or WarioWare... (a proper Paper Mario would automatically put the switch's 2020 above 2018 & 2019 for me)

We'll obviously get an Animal Crossing blowout and smash character. And probably a Mario sports or party game.

No idea about third party besides maybe a Mario + Rabbids sequel? I'd love to see some more of Hollow Knight Silksong, but the tone of their last update made it sound like it's still quite a while away, so I'm not expecting anything until E3.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a hard time predicting or even "wishing" for stuff in the upcoming direct because my favourite reveals of the Switch era were the unexpected ones like Arms, Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I have a hard time predicting or even "wishing" for stuff in the upcoming direct because my favourite reveals of the Switch era were the unexpected ones like Arms, Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure.
It's impossible to even try and predict New IPs with any sort of accuracy, so I usually try to avoid that. I'll just wait for Nintendo to surprise us with those unexpected games.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I just realized this Thursday is January. Direct confirmed?

Yeah, this is why a lot of times we get some good ports and stuff but I'm disappointed whenever nothing completely new / unknown is announced. Hope the next direct has a few unexpected moments.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
You know, other than Mother 3, Nintendo can basically announce anything and I'd probably get an equal amount of high interest out of it at this point. The Switch's life so far has been so well paced with quality software that I don't have any other major complaints (release EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound on the NES and SNES Switch Online apps too, please and thank you).

January 7th and 8th seem like great days for the first Direct of the year, so let's go with at least one of those, maybe both if they do a time slot that's one day in some countries and the next in others.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A depressing notion, given that I love MK and I'm definitely never going to play Tour. I just hope its existence doesn't mean the next Mario Kart's like three or four years out.
It probably does. Tour had pretty much everyone on it, including Bandai Namco. I think Nintendo is done with MK on switch

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
My favourite Direct reveals of all time were Astral Chain and Link's Remakening back to back. Astral Chain was something I never knew I wanted (but which I immediately wanted before the trailer was over and loved when I played it 6 months later) followed by the one remake I'd been hoping would happen for several years. I barely slept that night I was that excited.

If Nintendo want to go big, a surprise reveal followed by BotW 2 trailer with 2020 confirmation would be the way to end their next Direct.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's impossible to even try and predict New IPs with any sort of accuracy, so I usually try to avoid that. I'll just wait for Nintendo to surprise us with those unexpected games.

Yeah but the "predictability" of their future output makes it less fun to me to make any serious predictions.

Yeah, this is why a lot of times we get some good ports and stuff but I'm disappointed whenever nothing completely new / unknown is announced. Hope the next direct has a few unexpected moments.

There's still some ports that I want (Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 etc.) and I'm obviously looking forward to the big upcoming sequels... but yeah, this. Was really hoping we'd get a glimpse of Monolith Soft's new IP.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
stop it dude. you're not gonna leave, and what you did wasn't a huge deal.
actually, you're not allowed to leave, how's that?

Yep. Mazi's word is law here. You may never leave.

100% agreed. It's the completely unknown new IPs that excite me the most. It's always been that way for me.

Well, outside of 3D Zelda.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
updating the eshop doesn't even need a new firmware. the whole eshop app is just a website running in a browser. at any point they can change it without needing an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.