• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I have zero faith in retro to deliver a quality game in Metroid prime if they don't release anything before. I know the first prime was great yet followed several failed projects, but because it happened once doesn't mean that it's a good sign.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His thing is the contract outsource position Retro is hiring lol. Bruh I found that like 2 weeks ago and mentioned it in the Nintendo first party topic

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro is also hiring another Contract Concept Artist. They put that contract position and the contract position for the outsourcing environment review artist about 2 weeks ago

They also hired 2 external environment artist a few months back. This pointed to them outsourcing already

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

This seemed appropriate with some of the convo yesterday. I'd say goodbye to Xenoblade and Kirby, and hello to F-Zero and 3D DK.

Personally, I'd want Splatoon the most dead. I don't care about online. But I'd feel guilty about killing such a young IP lol.

So goodbye Kirby (since HAL seems to insist on not pushing the series forward) and Xenoblade (Monolith can just make another IP that's like the same thing. Wasn't X just Xenoblade in name only lol). Kid Icarus and F-Zero come to me!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro has been gearing up all year for Metroid Prime 4 development and I'd like to think they will start from scratch. It's their work so you want all your original ideas not whatever Bandai and Nintendo had.

Holiday 2021 the earliest for this game if the outsourcing really speeds the development up.

Jan 11, 2018

Lol.

1. Both Prime and Prime 3 took closer to 3 years, on SD systems.
2. We've known they are outsourcing for a long time now.
3. Outsourcing in no way means the game still isn't going to take a long ass time to make. See pretty much all AAA games these days.
4. I sincerely hope he doesn't think Retro doesn't have their own in house environmental artists.
5. Highly unlikely this game will be using UE4 as Retro has never used it in any of their shipped games.
6. Tanabe said a potential Metroid Prime 4 would need at least three years. The game isn't coming out before Holiday 2021

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Retro has had art issues. Before Retros Art Director left he put on his LinkedIn to outsource your work. Retro and Nintendo took it to heart and they've hired environment outsource artists. This will help speed up the pace of development
Ah, I see. Well, I still think that all we could reasonably expect from MP4 in 2020 is a teaser.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I'm not very hopeful considering they said they started from scratch in late-ish 2018, but who knows. Still need to watch the Doctre vid, though, so maybe that can change my mind.

Basically, they're outsourcing environments. Not sure what that means, but Doctre seems to think that the game is coming sooner than we all think, and that one of the reasons why Retro got the project is that they could finish it in a short amount of time.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This seemed appropriate with some of the convo yesterday. I'd say goodbye to Xenoblade and Kirby, and hello to F-Zero and 3D DK.

pokemon
tenor.gif

bring back mother

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol.

1. Both Prime and Prime 3 took closer to 3 years, on SD systems.
2. We've known they are outsourcing for a long time now.
3. Outsourcing in no way means the game still isn't going to take a long ass time to make. See pretty much all AAA games these days.
4. I sincerely hope he doesn't think Retro doesn't have their own in house environmental artists.
5. Highly unlikely this game will be using UE4 as Retro has never used it in any of their shipped games.
6. Tanabe said a potential Metroid Prime 4 would need at least three years. The game isn't coming out before Holiday 2021
Yeah idk what "soon" means to him. We don't know what the scope of the game will be. Game development takes longer now. This isn't the GameCube or Wii. Nintendo and Retro want to get this right. Nobody is going to rush this

The outsourcing stuff isn't new news. I thought he actually found a company saying they're working with Retro or something. Armature is possibly working with them.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah idk what "soon" means to him. We don't know what the scope of the game will be. Game development takes longer now. This isn't the GameCube or Wii. Nintendo and Retro want to get this right. Nobody is going to rush this

He seems to think it means "A couple of years," since most logical people don't think the game is coming out before the end of 2021, and since he falsely believes all the Prime games were made in that time as well.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Something I've been thinking about lately:

So you know how everyone seems to think that Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch is a thing? Well, what if one of Retro's unknown projects is a revamped MPT with improved graphics and extra content, the reason why we haven't seen it yet is because MP4 got delayed, and that they're using the assets from MPT HD to create MP4, thus speeding up the development process?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I would not mind getting rid of Kirby, Xenoble Chronicles and Fire Emblem.

Welcome back F-Zero, Mother and Golden Sun ;)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

The outsourcing stuff isn't new news. I thought he actually found a company saying they're working with Retro or something. Armature is possibly working with them.
Hopefully the scope is the same as 1-3.

I don't want a fucking huge ass Metroid. 1-3 are the perfect size.

Please don't try to give Metroid it's BotW moment Nintendo it REALLY doesn't need it, let it actually come back first

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something I've been thinking about lately:

So you know how everyone seems to think that Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch is a thing? Well, what if one of Retro's unknown projects is a revamped MPT with improved graphics and extra content, the reason why we haven't seen it yet is because MP4 got delayed, and that they're using the assets from MPT HD to create MP4, thus speeding up the development process?
I think Imran said Retro isn't the one doing the Metroid Prime Trilogy HD. I'd have to check to make sure.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Basically, they're outsourcing environments. Not sure what that means, but Doctre seems to think that the game is coming sooner than we all think, and that one of the reasons why Retro got the project is that they could finish it in a short amount of time.
Just watched it, while it's interesting stuff to know, I don't know if the conclusion that it'll be sooner rather than later is merited, as basically everybody outsources nowadays. He doesn't define what's sooner and what's later, so for all we know, he could be talking about 2022 rather than the 'expected' 2023 (as an example). I'm thinking 2022 myself for the project: that allows for almost 4 years of development, which should be enough for the game to come out. 2021 has an outside chance as well imo.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Splatoon is the one I'm most "eh" on, but I appreciate its place and the fact it cultivates a unique audience, so it can stay.

Instead kill Xenoblade, bring back Chibi Robo.

I love Xenoblade (mostly the first one) but the thing is... Monolith Soft doesn't need the Xenoblade name to make the games work. So on a technicality, we'd still get similar games, they'd just be called I dunno... Xeno... Gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.