• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling EPD is making a new 2D DK game and it's going to use the Ringcon. They always have to do some experiment and I can see them doing this. It'll be the Ring con + return of the bongos.

original.jpg

Wait. Looking at the picture it looks like Donkey Kong is racing in the air? Oh maybe the Mario Kart team is making a new Diddy Kong Racing and the bongos will be one way to play.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
You would have multiple boss fights and for the final one, K.rool would pull out his blunderbuss and shoot at you for an entire platforming set-piece it would be lit it would be better tha gamecube paper mario

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not yet. As my quoted post mentioned, I've never taken to 2D Platformers, and as a result, I haven't felt like spending larger amounts of money on it. Might try it, now that I feel like I might just start to click with the genre.

BTW, I've heard tons of great things about Celeste. Is it a similar game to Ori in terms of gameplay? If so, it might be a good next candidate to try if DKTF is still €50 (I'd want to wait for that price to lower a little during some sale).

Not Really, Ori is probably more like Hollow Knight and less like Celeste.

I'd compare Celeste more with a game like The End is Nigh. Challenging platforming segments but pretty straight forward.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of "well in development" Reggie also said this about Prime 4 back in November 2018 and then 2 months after it got cancelled and restarted from scratch.

To be fair it's very unlikely that they actually cancelled and restarted the game in January 2019, rather it most likely happened at least a few months before. Probably late summer 2018.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling EPD is making a new 2D DK game and it's going to use the Ringcon. They always have to do some experiment and I can see them doing this. It'll be the Ring con + return of the bongos.

original.jpg

Wait. Looking at the picture it looks like Donkey Kong is racing in the air? Oh maybe the Mario Kart team is making a new Diddy Kong Racing and the bongos will be one way to play.

Gross

That's basically what killed DK after Rare left and before Retro took over, random experimental spinoffs that did nothing but erode the brand's identity. I really do not want to return to that era.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gross

That's basically what killed DK after Rare left and before Retro took over, random experimental spinoffs that did nothing but erode the brand's identity. I really do not want to return to that era.
I agree. I don't want that experimental stuff, but you know how Nintendo is so it should be in the back of our minds. I think Nintendo might take it upon themselves to do a new DK game since Retro can't do it.

I want DKC from a western studio not experimental DK from Nintendo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I trust Nintendo with 3D DK over 2D DK. I think they could pull something great off with 3D DK because I don't see them wanting to do anything experimental with accessories.

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of faith in BotW 2 making 2020 hurts me

I agree. I don't want that experimental stuff, but you know how Nintendo is so it should be in the back of our minds. I think Nintendo might take it upon themselves to do a new DK game since Retro can't do it.

That's assuming that they'd make an experimental DK. It's not as if only western studios can handle DK. I'm sure Nintendo EPD can make a great DKC or 3D DK if they wanted to

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Konga is the only DK game I love (besides DK94 and Mario vs Donkey Kong)

bring back the bongos

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

Yeah I'd be happier with a third DKC game from Retro rather than some experimental game - and honestly I'm a little surprised Retro didn't return to DK (beyond the Tropical Freeze port) after their post Tropical Freeze game was canned.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's assuming that they'd make an experimental DK. It's not as if only western studios can handle DK. I'm sure Nintendo can make a great DKC or 3D DK if they wanted to
I said that in the post above yours for 3D DK. I was talking about 2D DK game. They can't make DKC. Just like they can't make Metroid Prime. Just like Retro couldn't make Bayonetta. Some types of games are developed better in specific regions of people.

Oct 26, 2017
I said that in the post above yours for 3D DK. I was talking about 2D DK game. They can't make DKC. Just like they can't make Metroid Prime. Just like Retro couldn't make Bayonetta. Some types of games are developed better in specific regions of people.
Well I don't think it has anything to do with specific regions or anything. It's more so to do with experience in that genre and vision for the game than anything else. Like give DKC to the 2D Mario team, let them work with the same assets from Tropical Freeze, and make new ones and I'm sure they'd put out a great DKC game. I don't think think teams or developers are as rigid on what they can and can't make

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm still Team 2020 for BotW 2. I think people are jittery because Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild all had lengthy delays - but in each case there were clear reasons for the delay. TP suffered from Miyamoto "upending the tea-table" at one point, and was then delayed so a Wii version could be made; Skyward Sword was delayed so that MotionPlus could be integrated (and was ultimately central to the game); Breath of the Wild needed delays so that the game's new physics and chemistry engines would work and was also the Zelda team's first major open-world, HD title.

In each case, there were extenuating circumstances - and over the same period, handheld Zelda titles have regularly arrived without these kinds of problems. With an existing engine and assets and gameplay concepts drawn from BotW/DLC ideas, plus two dedicated development teams (EPD group 3 & Monolith Soft's Production Group 2) I'm confident BotW 2 will come in 2020.

Fingers crossed we get news soon.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd be happier with a third DKC game from Retro rather than some experimental game - and honestly I'm a little surprised Retro didn't return to DK (beyond the Tropical Freeze port) after their post Tropical Freeze game was canned.
100% agreed. It seems like Retro had 2 cancelled projects. If the first one wasn't going good why didn't they say "hey let's go back to our bread and butter and do a new DKC game". Instead it seems like they tried to make another new IP and it was possibly cancelled too.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I don't think it has anything to do with specific regions or anything. It's more so to do with experience in that genre and vision for the game than anything else. Like give DKC to the 2D Mario team, let them work with the same assets from Tropical Freeze, and make new ones and I'm sure they'd put out a great DKC game. I don't think think teams or developers are as rigid on what they can and can't make
We'll disagree

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
100% agreed. It seems like Retro had 2 cancelled projects. If the first one wasn't going good why didn't they say "hey let's go back to our bread and butter and do a new DKC game". Instead it seems like they tried to make another new IP and it was possibly cancelled too.
This. I don't understand them. And it seems like they started working on something but then they pitched idea of Prime 4 game to Nintendo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still Team 2020 for BotW 2. I think people are jittery because Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild all had lengthy delays - but in each case there were clear reasons for the delay. TP suffered from Miyamoto "upending the tea-table" at one point, and was then delayed so a Wii version could be made; Skyward Sword was delayed so that MotionPlus could be integrated (and was ultimately central to the game); Breath of the Wild needed delays so that the game's new physics and chemistry engines would work and was also the Zelda team's first major open-world, HD title.

In each case, there were extenuating circumstances - and over the same period, handheld Zelda titles have regularly arrived without these kinds of problems. With an existing engine and assets and gameplay concepts drawn from BotW/DLC ideas, plus two dedicated development teams (EPD group 3 & Monolith Soft's Production Group 2) I'm confident BotW 2 will come in 2020.

I'm still team 2020. Monolith growing so much would've been able to give Nintendo an even bigger team if needed to get the game out by holiday 2939

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I feel like people are looking at a trend without considering context or reasons for why they happened. Not to say that something can't happen that'll change how long BotW 2 will take to make, like adding in a completely new core idea or mechanic, but, right now, there are more reasons for it to come out in 2020 than to not, especially when even that'll be a fairly long development cycle

Fair enough

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Gross

While that's true on the whole, we at least got the excellent Jungle Beat from that era! I'd definitely be down for a Jungle Beat sequel. Maybe K Rool can show up this time!

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah I think Imran said Retro pitched doing Prime 4. So we ask if Prime 4 had no issues what would've Retro been doing at this point?
Exactly i just wanted to ask same question. Coincidence of events brought up Retro to conversation again.
That character from Reggie's retirement photo sure is from Retro's game but we will never see it.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'd guess in 2020 we can expect up to 20 Nintendo-published titles in Europe & North America. I'd expect that to include 3 or 4 Nintendo-published/distributed games from third-parties; a couple of Wii U ports; 2 or 3 remasters; 3 or 4 eShop titles; 3 or 4 EPD-developed games; plus some games from subsidiaries/partners. So, my guesses:

Q1:
- Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Jan)
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (Jan)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (March)

Q2:
- eShop game (April)
- Pikmin 3 DX (May)
- Donkey Kong Country: K. Rool's Revenge (May) (yes fuck it I've decided Retro Studios completed a game at some point)
- Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (June)
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 (June)

Q3:
- eShop game (Pokemon spin-off) (July)
- Mario Golf (July)
- Wave Race (August)
- Mario vs DK eShop (August)
- Bravely Default 2 (September)
- Bayonetta 3 (September)

Q4:
- Paper Mario (October)
- Sports Island Adventure (October - 'Switch Sports' with a less-crappy name than I gave it)
- Metroid 5 (November)
- Super Mario Odyssey 2 (November)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 (December)

Absentees:
No More Heroes 3 (delayed to Q1 2021)
Famicom Detective Club remakes (2021 in NA/EU)
Pokemon (Diamond/Pearl remake in 2021)
Detective Pikachu (summer 2021)

It'd be great if Nintendo started 2020 with a bang and revealed the whole line-up in a special Direct - the tag-line could be "20 games for 2020". Not gonna happen, obviously.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd guess in 2020 we can expect up to 20 Nintendo-published titles in Europe & North America. I'd expect that to include 3 or 4 Nintendo-published/distributed games from third-parties; a couple of Wii U ports; 2 or 3 remasters; 3 or 4 eShop titles; 3 or 4 EPD-developed games; plus some games from subsidiaries/partners. So, my guesses:

Q1:

Q2:
- eShop game (April)
- Pikmin 3 DX (May)
- Donkey Kong Country: K. Rool's Revenge (May) (yes fuck it I've decided Retro Studios completed a game at some point)

Q3:
- Mario Golf (July)
- Wave Race (August)

Q4:
- Paper Mario (October)
- Sports Island Adventure (October - 'Switch Sports' with a less-crappy name than I gave it)
- Metroid 5 (November)

Absentees:

It'd be great if Nintendo started 2020 with a bang and revealed the whole line-up in a special Direct - the tag-line could be "20 games for 2020". Not gonna happen, obviously.
Lmao this is a legendary 2020. Q4 is insane

Jan 11, 2018
To be fair it's very unlikely that they actually cancelled and restarted the game in January 2019, rather it most likely happened at least a few months before. Probably late summer 2018.

So you think Reggie was blatantly lying?

Q1:

Q2:
- eShop game (April)
- Pikmin 3 DX (May)

Q3:
- Mario Golf (July)
- Wave Race (August)

Q4:
- Paper Mario (October)
- Metroid 5 (November)

Absentees:

Mario, Zelda, and Metroid all within one month of each other?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking forward to the Fire Emblem expansion story trailer in the next Nintendo Direct.

Currently playing my second route and the game still rocks.

I'd love to be wrong, but I seriously doubt the Fire Emblem story DLC will be substantial enough to merit a trailer.

Three Houses' expansion pass has been pretty pathetic so far, and the story DLC's name (Abyss mode) and the in-game NPCs' gossip text about it being "under the Monastery" have been thinking it'll mainly just be some sort of bonus dungeon—maybe postgame—plus a handful of random new students.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I guess I ought to set things straight:

So, I've played some more, and I'm pretty close to a complete 180 on Ori. The game gets so much better when you unlock the double jump, and the bash makes it even better. I've just done my first escape sequence, and it was frenetic and incredible fun. Not many games have had a sequence that was quite so exhilarating as that play sequence. It also works great as a skill test at that point in the game. The game's design is incredibly crafted, with little to no downtime spent looking for what to do due to unclear level design: at every point in the game so far, I have felt like I know what to do, and only had to figure out how to do it. The few 2d platformers I've played so far haven't managed to get close to this level of design, and nothing approaches the pure quality of action in the platforming from what little I've played.

So yeah, that's LTTP for the game I guess, going to continue to play it next to Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I feel pretty confident that I will enjoy the rest of it.

There's a move you unlock after the double jump that makes the game one of the GOATs for me.

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
I don't know why some people expect Mario Kart 9 anytime soon.

Mario Kart 8 still looks great, sells a lot and has an active community. There's not much a new one could add, and even if it added tons of new features, a lot of people would just keep playing MK8.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The F-Zero 99 thing, while it sounds cool won't happen. Miyamoto and Nintendo isn't putting F-Zero down to be some cheap online game when the mainline series needs to be fixed. It needs to have a stable $60 series before wacky spinoffs can happen.

it's the same thing with Star Fox when people suggest Nintendo should put a budget Star Fox on the eshop. Why should they? I always believe in the full price tag Nintendo goes for and franchises like Star Fox should always be treated like that first. Once you have a stable mainline series then cheaper spinoffs can work. Splatoon is a good example now of a series that should get spinoffs after success.
So, a dead, creatively-bankrupt by one of its creators' admission, series needs another $60 same-old same-old game to maintain the (dead) series's pedigree before a highly ambitious new direction that evolves ideas from the series's first game in an engaging and relevant way can come out?

this is borderline Nintendo snobbery

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect him to dodge the question. He was very good at that.

Nah I don't see how you can dodge that question without lying, or at least stretching the truth a bit.

Interviewer: "How is Metroid Prime 4 progressing?"

Reggie: "We don't think about how games progress, we like to think about the finished product. We want to make sure we put out a product that is above all else, fun to play. Here at Nintendo that's our main mission"

Interviewer: "So.... poorly then?"

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, a dead, creatively-bankrupt by one of its creators' admission, series needs another $60 same-old same-old game to maintain the (dead) series's pedigree before a highly ambitious new direction that evolves ideas from the series's first game in an engaging and relevant way can come out?

this is borderline Nintendo snobbery
The ambition comes from a new $60 direction game, not some eShop title. F-Zero's gameplay makes it niche as it is

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

original.jpg

This just reminds me that Donkey Kong Jungle Beat GC >>>>>>>>>> Jungle Beat Wii, and nobody can prove otherwise.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The ambition comes from a new $60 direction game, not some eShop title. F-Zero's gameplay makes it niche as it is
first, you literally just said the ambition comes from it costing $60, think about that

second, "F-ZERO's gameplay makes it niche as it is?" And being $60 to get into as opposed to being able to try for free with NSO helps that?

a ton of the most played games these days are f2p, how is that a negative? I think being an online mega-multiplayer racer is what could finally set it apart in Nintendo's lineup and is absolutely the fresh new idea it needs. but if you think freshness needs to cost retail price, you might be right if you look at Nintendo's output, I'm genuinely unsure

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't know why some people expect Mario Kart 9 anytime soon.

Mario Kart 8 still looks great, sells a lot and has an active community. There's not much a new one could add, and even if it added tons of new features, a lot of people would just keep playing MK8.

Exactly! I feel that for the majority of Nintendo's audience, Mario Kart is a game new console owners buy so they can have it for that specific platform. If there was a Mario Kart 9 on Switch, I doubt that a significant amount of the over 19 million sales of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would carry over. That game can already scratch the kart racer itch and makes having a sequel on the same system redundant.

Jan 11, 2018
Nah I don't see how you can dodge that question without lying, or at least stretching the truth a bit.

Interviewer: "How is Metroid Prime 4 progressing?"

Reggie: "We don't think about how games progress, we like to think about the finished product. We want to make sure we put out a product that is above all else, fun to play. Here at Nintendo that's our main mission"

Interviewer: "So.... poorly then?"

No, more like, "We have nothing to announce at this time."

There's nothing to suggest Nintendo hasn't been upfront and honest with us about MP4 from the getgo.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't been around much lately, but is the general consensus right now that because the Game Awards didn't have an trailers, big reveals, or even tease anything from Nintendo... then this next Direct is going to be a big one?

We don't know much about 2020 and there hasn't been any significant reveals or updates in awhile.

Is this what everyone is thinking, big Direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.