• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
wonder if we should get a poll about the previous botw topic:

Will Shrines return?

I am 100% in the yes category. I'm assuming the game will still have a huge open map, and shrines were one of the main objectives to fill the map. (I also think there will be a few "traditional" type dungeons)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Will Shrines return?

I am 100% in the yes category. I'm assuming the game will still have a huge open map, and shrines were one of the main objectives to fill the map. (I also think there will be a few "traditional" type dungeons)
I'd like for shrines to return, but I'd also like for them to focus on quality versus quantity.

The most memorable ones were either meatier, multi-room affairs or centered around a more complex, multi-stage puzzle or a challenge.

I'd rather have less shrines and have most of them be the aforementioned.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
My 2020 prediction list too here it is:

The trailer that includes the announcement that NMH3 is delayed to 2021 will be a top 3 trailer of the year.

I wonder whether The Outer Worlds will be a February or March title.
I'll go later.
Several ports have come later in the year than we've predicted.
I'm saying May or June. Unless Q1 was confirmed and I missed it.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I have any major predictions for 2020, except I guess;
- Bayonetta 3 is on track for this year and development is going fine. Probably late 2020 release.
- Metroid Prime 4 is nowhere to be seen, logically.
- Metroid Prime Trilogy will actually appear and drop.
- Pikmin 3 port will eventuate and drop. Pikmin 4 nowhere to be seen.
- No More Heroes III gets delayed until early 2021. Will wind up on other platforms 6+ months after the Switch launch anyway.
- Breath of the Wild 2 is planned for a holiday 2020 release and Nintendo will be pushing hard for it.

Eager to be surprised with whatever Nintendo is cooking up for this year.

Will Shrines return?

Shrines were to Breath of the Wild as stars are to the 3D Mario series; pockets of focused puzzles/challenges compartmentalised from others. Breath of the Wild tried to emulate the essence of traditional dungeons via the Divine Beasts, just on a far lesser scale, and through the Shrines provide bite sized puzzling that we'd otherwise see in traditional dungeons. The open non-linearity of Breath of the Wild meant the traditional formula for challenge and progression was lost, but I would like to see them try again within that framework for Breath of the Wild 2.

I think Shrines are still welcome. I understand why people find them repetitious, but they're no less "pointless" then trying to hunt down stars in Mario Odyssey or Galaxy. It's literally the point; seek out these challenges mainly for fun and mastery, and the small bonus you get at completion. Breath of the Wild 2 just needs to do a better job bookending these long stretches of open, freeform play that involves a lot of Shrine conquering with larger, more intricate and satisfying "dungeons". Divine Beast puzzles were an okay start, but the appeal quickly wears off as none of them approach anywhere near the substance of traditional dungeons. Even if the game only had four or five major dungeons, if each of these was complex and lengthy relative to predecessors, and felt like a major milestone upon completion, they'd nicely bookend all the general Shine hunting and world exploring that takes place between.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Let's do a bad poll

Do you expect them in 2020, yes or no
Bayonetta 3 No
BotW2 No
Paper Mario 6 Yes, and it's Paper Mario 4, not Paper Mario 6
New 2D Metroid No
Pikmin 3 Remastered No
Prime Trilogy No
Mario Odyssey 2 Yes
Super Mario Party 2 No
3D World port No
Diamond/Pearl remake Probably, but hopefully not

Edit: Nintendo will probably release at least one of Mario Odyssey 2 or BOTW 2 next year, by the fact that they don't really have much of a marquee release next year if they release neither.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
My 2020 prediction list too here it is:

The trailer that includes the announcement that NMH3 is delayed to 2021 will be a top 3 trailer of the year.

I'll go later.
Several ports have come later in the year than we've predicted.
I'm saying May or June. Unless Q1 was confirmed and I missed it.
Q1 was confirmed indeed

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think and have thought the reasons the divine beasts weren't bigger or more complex was that the game had to come out by March 2017 lol.
And on the big picture priority list, shrines, the world, quests, chemistry engine, etc were all higher. Due to the top priority being making the overworld full of content. The size of the divine beasts/dungeons did not help or hurt that aspect and therefore received "cuts" for lack of a better phrase.

just my opinion & how I've always felt for years. We'll see if botw2 adds credence to this or makes me look silly

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think and have thought the reasons the divine beasts weren't bigger or more complex was that the game had to come out by March 2017 lol.
And on the big picture priority list, shrines, the world, quests, chemistry engine, etc were all higher. Due to the top priority being making the overworld full of content. The size of the divine beasts/dungeons did not help or hurt that aspect and therefore received "cuts" for lack of a better phrase.

just my opinion & how I've always felt for years. We'll see if botw2 adds credence to this or makes me look silly
Developpement wise, the Divine Beasts were also self-contained so you could finish them before the overworld was completed.

Hyrule Castle is the example of well incorporated dungeons that I am expecting in BotW2. It is seemlessly interconnected with the world and has unique atmosphere.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Thousand Year Door is Paper Mario 2, and Super Paper Mario is Paper Mario 3.
Well yeah, of course I know that, I love the Paper Mario series!

We had Paper Mario (1) on the N64, The Thousand Year Door (2) on the GameCube, Super Paper Mario (3) on the Wii, and after a strangely long eight-year hiatus we had Color Splash (4) on the Wii U. Guess Paper Mario 5 will technically be the first handheld installment, huh?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Well yeah, of course I know that, I love the Paper Mario series!

We had Paper Mario (1) on the N64, The Thousand Year Door (2) on the GameCube, Super Paper Mario (3) on the Wii, and after a strangely long eight-year hiatus we had Color Splash (4) on the Wii U. Guess Paper Mario 5 will technically be the first handheld installment, huh?
Huh. Never heard of it. Must be one of those Chinese bootlegs that you can find everywhere. On that note, Paper Mario 4's taking a really long time to release. It'll be 13 years by 2020!
/s (But seriously, Sticker Star and Color Splash were both awful.)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
2020 Switch predictions? Hmm...
  • BotW 2 is a maybe. I think they are targeting 2020 but I also think they won't hesitate to delay it for quality. I don't think it's a game is going to be forced to be ready by the holiday (like Pokemon).
  • Mainline Pokemon RPG will not be happening this year (no Diamond/Pearl remake, no Sword/Shield 2).
  • We will hear more news about SMTV but it will not release this year.
  • Intelligent Systems's next game will release this year. Paper Mario seems like the safest bet, but I like the suggestion from Raccoon that they work on a new brand of Mario RPG.
  • Hollow Knight Silksong....... won't release this year.
Aside from that I have no clue. I'm not very good at this, sorry for all the negative predictions T_T

Regarding already announced Switch games for 2020, I'm looking forward to Bravely Default II, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, and Famicom Detective Club. I'm already satisfied for this year, any other cool games that get announced are icing on the cake!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
(But seriously, Sticker Star and Color Splash were both awful.)
giphy.webp

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The F-Zero 99 thing, while it sounds cool won't happen. Miyamoto and Nintendo isn't putting F-Zero down to be some cheap online game when the mainline series needs to be fixed. It needs to have a stable $60 series before wacky spinoffs can happen.

it's the same thing with Star Fox when people suggest Nintendo should put a budget Star Fox on the eshop. Why should they? I always believe in the full price tag Nintendo goes for and franchises like Star Fox should always be treated like that first. Once you have a stable mainline series then cheaper spinoffs can work. Splatoon is a good example now of a series that should get spinoffs after success.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The F-Zero 99 thing, while it sounds cool won't happen. Miyamoto and Nintendo isn't putting F-Zero down to be some cheap online game when the mainline series needs to be fixed. It needs to have a stable $60 series before wacky spinoffs can happen.

it's the same thing with Star Fox when people suggest Nintendo should put a budget Star Fox on the eshop. Why should they? I always believe in the full price tag Nintendo goes for and franchises like Star Fox should always be treated like that first. Once you have a stable mainline series then cheaper spinoffs can work. Splatoon is a good example now of a series that should get spinoffs after success.
Nothing stopped Metroid from coming back with a spin-off after a six-year hiatus.

To be fair, that hiatus is nowhere near as bad as F-Zero; though for what it's worth, I don't think a free online-focused game is the worst possible way to revive a franchise.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
Sounds like Saber has more unannounced future projects for Nintendo Switch.

They have ported quite a lot of games to Switch this year, The Witcher 3, Call of Cthulhu, Vampyr, Ghostbusters... Couple of original games in the past too, like Shaq Fu and NBA Playgrounds. Wonder what will be next for them. Another miracle port or an original game? Maybe a World War Z port?
The saber representative describes it as new games making me think it's original titles (though I do believe they are working on more ports for publishers as well).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking forward to the Fire Emblem expansion story trailer in the next Nintendo Direct.

Currently playing my second route and the game still rocks.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm drunk AF right now (half a litre of vodka) and I'm telling you guys 2020 will be lit! I believe it woo!

Direct in January woo! But if not February will still be lit!

Be lit my dudes and dudettes! Lit!

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'm drunk AF right now (half a litre of vodka) and I'm telling you guys 2020 will be lit! I believe it woo!

Direct in January woo! But if not February will still be lit!

Be lit my dudes and dudettes! Lit!

i believe this leaker is trying to tell us that 90s american rock band lit will be making a game for nintendo switch

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing stopped Metroid from coming back with a spin-off after a six-year hiatus.

To be fair, that hiatus is nowhere near as bad as F-Zero; though for what it's worth, I don't think a free online-focused game is the worst possible way to revive a franchise.
I guess. It was a hiatus. Super Metroid to Metroid Prime was a hiatus. Nintendo learned hard not to bring a spin-off after a long layoff so not a good example

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The great thing about speculation for Nintendo's upcoming games is you know you'll be wrong so it makes it more fun.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I guess I ought to set things straight:
... playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Ori right now (unfortunately, it reminds me I don't really like 2d platformers, but it's the best one I've tried so far and I'm going to keep trying).
So, I've played some more, and I'm pretty close to a complete 180 on Ori. The game gets so much better when you unlock the double jump, and the bash makes it even better. I've just done my first escape sequence, and it was frenetic and incredible fun. Not many games have had a sequence that was quite so exhilarating as that play sequence. It also works great as a skill test at that point in the game. The game's design is incredibly crafted, with little to no downtime spent looking for what to do due to unclear level design: at every point in the game so far, I have felt like I know what to do, and only had to figure out how to do it. The few 2d platformers I've played so far haven't managed to get close to this level of design, and nothing approaches the pure quality of action in the platforming from what little I've played.

So yeah, that's LTTP for the game I guess, going to continue to play it next to Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I feel pretty confident that I will enjoy the rest of it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I guess I ought to set things straight:

So, I've played some more, and I'm pretty close to a complete 180 on Ori. The game gets so much better when you unlock the double jump, and the bash makes it even better. I've just done my first escape sequence, and it was frenetic and incredible fun. Not many games have had a sequence that was quite so exhilarating as that play sequence. It also works great as a skill test at that point in the game. The game's design is incredibly crafted, with little to no downtime spent looking for what to do due to unclear level design: at every point in the game so far, I have felt like I know what to do, and only had to figure out how to do it. The few 2d platformers I've played so far haven't managed to get close to this level of design, and nothing approaches the pure quality of action in the platforming from what little I've played.

So yeah, that's LTTP for the game I guess, going to continue to play it next to Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I feel pretty confident that I will enjoy the rest of it.
Did you play Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze ?

Top notch level design.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Let's do a bad poll

Do you expect them in 2020, yes or no

Bayonetta 3
BotW2
Paper Mario 6
New 2D Metroid
Pikmin 3 Remastered
Prime Trilogy
Mario Odyssey 2
Super Mario Party 2
3D World port
Diamond/Pearl remake

Bayonetta 3 - Yes
BotW2 - No
Paper Mario 6 - No
New 2D Metroid - Yes
Pikmin 3 Remastered - Yes
Prime Trilogy - Yes
Mario Odyssey 2 - Yes
Super Mario Party 2 - Yes
3D World port - No
Diamond/Pearl remake - No

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Did you play Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze ?

Top notch level design.
Not yet. As my quoted post mentioned, I've never taken to 2D Platformers, and as a result, I haven't felt like spending larger amounts of money on it. Might try it, now that I feel like I might just start to click with the genre.

BTW, I've heard tons of great things about Celeste. Is it a similar game to Ori in terms of gameplay? If so, it might be a good next candidate to try if DKTF is still €50 (I'd want to wait for that price to lower a little during some sale).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of excited for Super Mario Party 2. I think ND Cube will continue to build off of SMP and give fans what they want be it bigger and better boards. Better items and a better economy.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Guys can you imagine how badass 3D Donkey Kong would be? It would get GotY if not for genre biases? Fucking godly ape with conematic platforming and shit. Jump though cinematic galleons an ancient temples. Temples explode and shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.