• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been pretty inactive over the last 24 hours. The dream is dead. No more Nintendo Direct! 😢

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting "Mario Kart 9" to jump to full Nintendo Kart with all the changes that implies, but I also expect the team to put out one last big content expansion for Mario Kart 8 next year before leaving it behind.
I gave up on that. granted, teh game is selling amazingly well, so when they do it doesn't matter all that much, but I don't think it's coming anymore

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are holiday Switch ads running that are still featuring MK8D. lol

I don't think Nintendo is showing any signs of preparing for a sequel.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm expecting "Mario Kart 9" to jump to full Nintendo Kart with all the changes that implies, but I also expect the team to put out one last big content expansion for Mario Kart 8 next year before leaving it behind.

Nah. No DLC is happening. That ship has long since sailed. Either there's a new game coming or nothing at all.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
well at the very least we can all agree there won't be another mario kart on the switch, right? they wouldn't clip 8's continuous sales like that and burn recent purchases

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are forgetting about the most random DLC in recent memory: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker DLC exists.

If that can get DLC, so can MK8.

Captain Toad got DLC less than a year after the game came out which is standard for 1st party games. It makes just as much sense to assume an Odyssey expansion is coming 2.5 years after that game's release as it does a MK8D expansion 3 years after its release, which is none at all.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Captain Toad got DLC less than a year after the game came out which is standard for 1st party games. It makes just as much sense to assume an Odyssey expansion is coming 2.5 years after that game's release as it does a MK8D expansion 3 years after its release, which is none at all.

Captain Toad was a port, so it's different in that way. And Odyssey is likely to get a sequel on the Switch, and has a very small online community. MK8 is still alive and well, not likely to get a sequel for at least three or four years and that will be on another platform.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the Jason Schreier thread about the Star Wars Jedi sequel made me wonder why he never posts (either here or on Twitter) Nintendo related scoops. Maybe he doesn't have Nintendo sources?

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
well at the very least we can all agree there won't be another mario kart on the switch, right? they wouldn't clip 8's continuous sales like that and burn recent purchases
I could see MK8DX being the only MK on Switch, even without any DLC. But what the heck is the MK team working on since ARMS? Surely it's not just a sequel to ARMS or MK9? That would be too early I think.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Toad was a port, so it's different in that way. And Odyssey is likely to get a sequel on the Switch, and has a very small online community. MK8 is still alive and well, not likely to get a sequel for at least three or four years and that will be on another platform.

Being a port doesn't change things. Pokken was a port and got DLC. MK8D was also a port and got DLC updates even if it was just BotW Link and Labo support.

The problem is the business model of developing premium DLC after a game was unsupported for years and its players moved on.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Seeing the Jason Schreier thread about the Star Wars Jedi sequel made me wonder why he never posts (either here or on Twitter) Nintendo related scoops. Maybe he doesn't have Nintendo sources?
His most talkative sources seem to come from EA and Ubisoft. He doesn't have many Japanese sources in general.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart and Splatoon make the most sense for a next gen launch game. Pair one of them with an experimental Wii Sports/1-2 Switch type game and that would be a typical Nintendo console launch.
I'm still gambling on Metroid Prime 4 being a launch title. Splatoon 3 can wait a little bit longer. especially if they do a spinoff in the meantime

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'd much prefer the Mario Kart team deliver another new IP - there's no need for Mario Kart 9 with 8 Deluxe continues to be the best selling game on the system

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I want Nintendo Kart, and I'd gladly take another Arms also but i gotta be realstic.

Mario Kart was a victim of bad timing. If Wii U had a longer life then we would have gotten a new game. Sucks that a port of a game from 2014 may be our only MK game this generation but that's how it is.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
That's the thing with MK. It would make sense to make a new one in 1-2 years but it keeps selling so good. I wouldn't be surprised if they did start developing a new one but decided to keep it for later.
So in this case a dlc wouldn't be bad idea. Then again, why do a dlc when the game keeps selling like that on auto pilot.
So to sum up my thoughts, they have no reason to do dlc now, any development resources and ideas for that could go in the next one, and the next one won't come any time soon since the one we have keep selling. And that's why I give some credibility to the rumors talking about a new racing game based on a different Nintendo ip.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Mario Kart getting DLC but only GaaS style in order to give Nintendo Switch Online another boost. Adding events on a regular basis with additional cart parts or adding in costumes a bit Mario kart tour style etc etc.

Also last year we got Tetris 99 and its still being widely supported and was seemingly a big success. Do we think we are due another similar addition to NSO this year?

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
So no News or legit Rumors / Leaks for a upcoming Nintendo Direct?...

giphy.gif

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Last edited:

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I mean some people are convinced we'll see MK9 soon.
I'd much prefer the Mario Kart team deliver another new IP - there's no need for Mario Kart 9 with 8 Deluxe continues to be the best selling game on the system

Guys, Mario Kart 9 already released this summer! Why must you disrespect our Gatcha-based Overlord just because it doesn't have a proper 9 in the title?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You guys are right.
So does that means we aren't getting a new switch in 2022 or we are getting a new switch in 2022 without a new Mario and a new Zelda?
I think Switch 2 will be 2023, but not because developing a new Zelda after releasing BOTW2 in 2020 (hypothetically) takes at three years or more. Rather, it's because the plan was always to make the current Switch last 6 years or so.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I seriously doubt that mk9 will have more of even as many tracks and characters than MK8. They don't need a smash Bros kart. I believe they'll try something a little more ambitious than that. At least they should. More of the same is boring, if the only appeal is driving with pit or solid snake.
Regarding mk9 coming soon, I believe it will because when such project would have been greenlit (early 2017, as arms was probably done by April), they had no idea that MK8 would sell so fucking good. The switch was at the beginning of its life and while it started well, it had everything to prove; hence why they announced things like mp4/bayo3 so early. They may decide to sit for another year on mk9, but I'm pretty sure it's their next game. My bet remains FY2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.