• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Boggles my mind that people are so attachedat the idea that all Switch related news has to be revealed in a direct. This is not the Wii U ages where they had to scrape to get Wii U news for directs.

LM3 DLC reveal means absolutely nothing in terms of a future direct.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
SMT#FE: Encore
Bravely Default 2
Xenoblade DE
Deadly Premonition 2
No More Heroes 3
Panzer Dragoon
Rune Factory 5
Ninjala
Persona 5 Scramble
Darksiders Genesis
Gods and Monsters
Doom Eternal
Trials of Mana
The Outer Worlds
One Piece Pirate Warriors 4
Rogue Company
Minecraft Dungeons
Empire of Sin
Hollow Knight Silksong
Sports Story
Axiom Verge 2

Plus potential releases of:
Bayonetta 3
Zelda BotW 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD

Other surprise 3rd party exclusives big third party game announcements, and other first party titles as well

This list will be much fuller in the next month or two.
I think 2020 will be fine

Also the possibility of Shin Megami Tensei :P I think what we know now of 2020 was way better than we've known prior to any years before. Not sure why people are worried.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People here getting hyped for an unsubstantiated January Direct that was indeed possible but far from super likely and now a minor DLC reveal ahead of Christmas means there on the other hand is no chance at all for a January Direct.

Maybe take a step back and realize that yeah, a January Direct might not happen but we'll at least have one in February at latest. Instead of changing opinion 360 degrees at every breadcrumb thrown.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Here's a new fake leak from /v/, more reasonable this time:
January 9th 2020 Nintendo Direct Mini

- Gameplay footage of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition will be shown

- Axiom Verge 2 gameplay footage

- The World Ends With You 2 announcement

- Animal Crossing: New Horizons gameplay footage

- The Witness announcement

- Free-to-start Metroid game announcement

- Pikmin port for Switch

- New Katrielle Layton game announcement

- Ikachan port with new content

- Braid announcement

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Free-to-Start Metroid

giphy.gif

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
What if Direct was in February 2019 only because Reggie's retirement was announced only week after that Direct? I might speculate too much here, but it would make some sense.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Boggles my mind that people are so attachedat the idea that all Switch related news has to be revealed in a direct. This is not the Wii U ages where they had to scrape to get Wii U news for directs.

LM3 DLC reveal means absolutely nothing in terms of a future direct.

Also the possibility of Shin Megami Tensei :P I think what we know now of 2020 was way better than we've known prior to any years before. Not sure why people are worried.
Especially because it's multiplayer DLC
Who actually buys Luigi's Mansion for the multiplayer?
It's just not exciting enough for a direct.
Nintendo has been good about keeping certain levels of excitment throughout a direct.
They have been eliminating stuff that would drag on for some people by making them additional videos/broadcasts.
You don't care about Indie games? Indies get announced in Indie World which is separate from a normal Direct.
You don't care about an indepth moveset presentation of the new Smash character? Those things have now generally also been seperate Broadcasts or were done roght after the main direct ends.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
back in 2018 we knew just as little and we still didnt have a direct in january
We do know less than last year though, at least in terms of nintendo-published titles

From the January 2019 financial report:
ortD8Jf.jpg

I'm not sure I would count DQB2 or Fitness Boxing since they were 2018 titles in Japan.
From the October 2019 financial report:
WujLMR0.jpg

That second list is missing Bravely Default II, since it was announced at TGA
And I don't know where Brain Training belongs (unannounced for the US, 2020 for Europe and 2019 for Japan)

That's 8 confirmed 2019 nintendo-published titles in December 2018 /vs/ only 4 2020 games in December 2019.

Of course, third-party support partly makes up for the difference, but still, we could expect a lot from future directs since so little has been revealed from Nintendo's side

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
SMT5 has started development in the beginning of 2017 and has gone into full development in early 2018. So I think it is indeed possible that the game will be released in late 2020. SMT5 is not a huge AAA-Game, so I think that almost three years of full development should be more than enough for such a game.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's Atlus we're talking about here. It's going to be a while. I feel like spring-mid 2021 is more realistic (for JPN release).

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
february direct
- brain training worldwide in january (echoing EU release)
- metroid prime trilogy for april
- pikmin 3 for may
- animal crossing delayed
- bayonetta 3 nowhere to be seen
- fighter pass character #5: pink gold peach

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Mario&Sonic has apparently done pretty well in Japan. Overall, should be an easy million seller.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Nintendo just dropped two free modes for Cadence of Hyrule - a Dungeon Mode and a new storyline: Octavo's Ode. In the new storyline you play as Octavo and find out his backstory, I think.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
february direct
- brain training worldwide in january (echoing EU release)
- metroid prime trilogy for april
- pikmin 3 for may
- animal crossing delayed
- bayonetta 3 nowhere to be seen
- fighter pass character #5: pink gold peach

Why would a February Direct announce a game that releases a month before the Direct?

Also when was the last time Nintendo delayed a game that actually had a firm release date (as in day and month)?

Also the last point is making me think this list is sarcastic...

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019

what are dis

Why did they upload a random commercial - is this just their TV cut for the holiday that they decided to upload?

whyyy

Method

Oct 25, 2017
IMO nintendo did themselves a disservice by not showing at least one huge game at the game awards. 45 million unique views is insane.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Are we expecting another Omega Force/Team Ninja Nintendo game this year? Both Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors were pretty succesful and each one had a three year gap with some ports inbetween. I could see a sequel or a new Nintendo Warriors game come at some point this year, with an announcement in this first direct.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting another Omega Force/Team Ninja Nintendo game this year? Both Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors were pretty succesful and each one had a three year gap with some ports inbetween. I could see a sequel or a new Nintendo Warriors game come at some point this year, with an announcement in this first direct.

I'm still hoping for a Fire Emblem Warriors 2. Still so much potential with a better cast of characters (more variety).

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yes for TN, no for Omega Force.
Could be JP only at launch though (like Fatal Frame).

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The director just did MUA3, so I would imagine the next project is in the early stages.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'll make a prediction for next year: Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Samus Returns, Pokken and Fire Emblem Warriors all get follow ups either announced or released next year. Once again, 2020 will be a sequel of sorts to 2017. Xenoblade could be an early sign of that.

Last edited:

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
We do know less than last year though, at least in terms of nintendo-published titles

From the January 2019 financial report:
ortD8Jf.jpg

I'm not sure I would count DQB2 or Fitness Boxing since they were 2018 titles in Japan.
From the October 2019 financial report:
WujLMR0.jpg

That second list is missing Bravely Default II, since it was announced at TGA
And I don't know where Brain Training belongs (unannounced for the US, 2020 for Europe and 2019 for Japan)

That's 8 confirmed 2019 nintendo-published titles in December 2018 /vs/ only 4 2020 games in December 2019.

Of course, third-party support partly makes up for the difference, but still, we could expect a lot from future directs since so little has been revealed from Nintendo's side

So they had announced as New games tetris 99 (retail version) ,labo vr, Mario maker 2,astral chain, link's awakening and ring fit aventure.
+ eshop titles as kirby, cadence of hyrule and the stretchers.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
You forgot tetris 99 (retail version) ,labo vr, Mario maker 2,astral chain, link's awakening and ring fit aventure.
I only listed the titles we knew of before 2019, to compare with what we currently know of 2020

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
I have edited.
So in 2019, as New games they have announced 6 retail games + 3 eshop games.
Tetris 99 was first announced as eshop games and became after a retail game.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
So they had announced as New games tetris 99 (retail version) ,labo vr, Mario maker 2,astral chain, link's awakening and ring fit aventure.
A good way to think about it is that we knew about roughly half of the games Nintendo published in 2019 by the time the year started. They averaged about 1.5 games per month.

So either this year will be slower or we only know about 1/3 of the Nintendo games on the schedule.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

I believe people are expecting DQ Warriors 1 + 2 this year. A new Musou would be next year or later.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A good way to think about it is that we knew about roughly half of the games Nintendo published in 2019 by the time the year started. They averaged about 1.5 games per month.

So either this year will be slower or we only know about 1/3 of the Nintendo games on the schedule.
This year won't be slower. We're in the golden age again with Nintendo. The development on one system has come to fruition. That's why I expect 2 directs before E3 this year because Nintendo will have so many first party announcements and they don't like putting too many in one direct.

Plus Emily said this year will be like 2017 and 2019.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nintendo always has one big third-party port playable at PAX East
Wolfenstein II in 2018
MK11 this year
Probably Outer Worlds in 2020
So I expect the date to be announced soon

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
This year won't be slower. We're in the golden age again with Nintendo. The development on one system has come to fruition. That's why I expect 2 directs before E3 this year because Nintendo will have so many first party announcements and they don't like putting too many in one direct.
"Slower" could still mean 15-16 games this year

=)

Status
Not open for further replies.