• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I won't lie i kinda got blue balls (or whatever the female equivalent of that is) from no BotW2 at TGA so my thirst for this game is turned up to 11.

Also I know 99% of Zelda fans are dead-set against Link talking but if there will be any sort of co-op at all, or a better story he needs to.

So my bets for the sequel are:

1) New overworld
2) Voiced Link
3) Playable Zelda (at least in specific sections)

and I really, really hope they throw us a bone before E3. a <6 month marketing calendar sounds insane to me.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I could see them adding paths across the ravines to the inaccessible landmasses in the North and west.
Maybe they even add islands further out, together with deeper boat mechanics.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
BotW made it canon that Link barely talks at all, even offscreen, and I love that

it's essential now. Silent Link must continue

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Link can't talk. We need more passive-aggressive journal entries from Zelda about how that pisses her off. ^^

Apr 21, 2018
For Link to speak is sac religious at this point. There is just absolutely no way Nintendo is going to do it right. He should not speak and I'm sometimes baffled how the silent protagonist bothers people so much.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I won't lie i kinda got blue balls (or whatever the female equivalent of that is) from no BotW2 at TGA so my thirst for this game is turned up to 11.

Also I know 99% of Zelda fans are dead-set against Link talking but if there will be any sort of co-op at all, or a better story he needs to.

1) New overworld
2) Voiced Link

and I really, really hope they throw us a bone before E3. a <6 month marketing calendar sounds insane to me.
I don't think they would give Link a voice in this game.
It's still the same character from the first BOTW.
Maybe if they do another one, with a new generation Link, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I know there are, like, a hundred reasons why I wouldn't work, but I really hope you can build your own puzzle shrines in BOTW2.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1) New overworld
2) Voiced Link

I feel you on the thirst fam lol. I was really hoping for a trailer at the Game Awards. If BotW 2 is coming holiday 2020 Nintendo will want us to know about it ahead of E3. They should have something to tell us before E3. I still can't see Link having a voice.

Tbh I'm down for something new, make him voiced. Might be cool.

I think if they do it it would be for a different Zelda game. This Link in BotW doesn't talk and they'll want it keep it like that most likely.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them reusing the same world with some minimal changes (like expanded towns and added infrastructure) but the actual main game taking place in a brand new world that's there in addition to the old world. Like, an underworld, another dimension, a dark world, whatever, but a world that lets you pop out and visit the BotW1 world occasionally to be able to rest, restock equipment, get quests, etc.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Link is going to have an Oxygen meter as he goes deeper underground. The game will implement real life gas

I mean plenty of games use poison gas and oxygen meters for poison gas. IIRC didn't Mario 64 use that in Hazy Maze Cave?

But yeah if they take it even a step further than that and give Link a caged canary that would be kinda hilarious.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I mean plenty of games use poison gas and oxygen meters for poison gas. IIRC didn't Mario 64 use that in Hazy Maze Cave?

But yeah if they take it even a step further than that and give Link a caged canary that would be kinda hilarious.
no, your Switch is actually going to slowly secrete toxic gases as you delve deeper

ultimate immersion

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018

1) New overworld
2) Voiced Link

i'm with you :) i would love to be able to customize Link :) something like Witcher 3.

and i do believe we will get full name and marketing push at E3 for a holiday release.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Tbh I'm down for something new, make him voiced. Might be cool.
I'm fine with Link being voiced, I just know that whoever they pick someone will be unhappy. Safest bet would be a complete unknown. Imagining Troy Baker as Link makes me giggle.

*edit - give me Mark Hamill Link please
*edit2 - it's going to end up being Finn Wolfhard isn't it?

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be such a powerful moment if we would play again as mute Link and during the final showdown, during an emotional scene where maybe Zelda gets hurt, Link suddenly screams "NO!" in a very angry voice. That's the first (and only?) time he ever talks.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I won't lie i kinda got blue balls (or whatever the female equivalent of that is)

Off topic. You can still use that term because even for males, there's no such thing as "blue balls". Testies don't get bigger if you don't "relieve" yourself. So since "blue balls" just means to be excited and not getting a conclusion, then it applies for anyone.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It would be such a powerful moment if we would play again as mute Link and during the final showdown, during an emotional scene where maybe Zelda gets hurt, Link suddenly screams "NO!" in a very angry voice. That's the first (and only?) time he ever talks.

And with his "NO" comes a massive wave of energy that slams Ganon against a wall, and inadvertently does the same to Zelda.

And then everyone finally understands that Link isn't mute, or shy. He stays quiet because he must, lest he unleash his terrifying power.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
If the developers themselves are to be believed, I don't think the Switch Port had much to do with it being delayed. There is a gdc panel with them where they talk about the porting process (among other things) and how it was rather easy. They also "show" a mail from anouma to them that is telling them to have the game ready for switch launch (well I am sure it didn't go down exactly like the mail in the video, but probably something along those lines) . If I remember correctly they announced the delay in 2015. They announced it would also release for switch during e3 2016. So I suppose the developers were working on a switch version by then. But listening to them it sounds like they had to make very minimal changes for it to work on Switch, so maybe some of the delay was because of the switch version, but I don't think it was the cause. An easy port would not take them 2 years to make. So I assume if anything the switch delayed it by maybe a few months.

But they did make it sound like they found out they had to do a switch version when the wii u version wasn't even done yet, so I suppose it's not like the switch version delayed an already finished game. They made it sound more like the switch was the thing that had them speed up cause suddenly they had a hard deadline.

Just my five cents tho. Source of the vague information of internal Nintendo communications is this (the part I am talking about starts at 51:25, but the whole video, while long, is actually a very interesting and at times funny watch (they have humor at Nintendo Japan apparently). I don't think we have gotten quite so much of an in-depth look at Nintendo's development process before this, and it's for one of their best games too, so it's quite enjoyable.

yeah, I wasn't thinking about the porting process. I just think they held the game back, because it wouldn't have sold on the Wii u anyway. and a later port would might have hurt sales

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Maybe if Nintendo wants to make a game with a dialogue-heavy fantasy story they'll make a new IP instead of adding voice acting to a character named fucking Link

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really see anyway its going to be a completely different overworld considering what we've seen so far. It doesn't appear any huge amount of time has passed going from the trailer and everything is basically the same besides the castle rising.

It will be the old map with some new stuff and then a completely new land mass / underground to accompany it

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And with his "NO" comes a massive wave of energy that slams Ganon against a wall, and inadvertently does the same to Zelda.

And then everyone finally understands that Link isn't mute, or shy. He stays quiet because he must, lest he unleash his terrifying power.
Link used Hyper Voice. It's very effective!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's why I mentioned it. You can already do stuff like pull a fire sword out to stay warm. So we need to think how else can Nintendo use an underground environment and gas is a big one with less Oxygen.

This would be great.

you return to the same Hyrule, but there are some extra houses now

breathtaking

Miyamoto will say wow.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Yeah, Link should stay mute. It's the same Link from BOTW, the one we know canonically tries to avoid speaking period.

If anything they should re-mute Zelda considering the rather... dubious quality of her VA last go around. Yeesh.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being able to explore the vast and deep ocean. The problem is Link can only swim at surface level. As soon as you go down a pressure gauge appears to show you the amount of pressure as you go down, but you'll die if you go too low.

So you need scuba gear from helmet to bottom. You can build it or find each part. There will also be a way to make a mini sub to travel even the lowest depths. I think there's ideas here Nintendo can play with and use the tools of BotW to make "ways of exploring" underwater fun and unique.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being able to explore the vast and deep ocean. The problem is Link can only swim at surface level. As soon as you go down a pressure gauge appears to show you the amount of pressure as you go down, but you'll die if you go too low.

So you need scuba gear from helmet to bottom. You can build it or find each part. There will also be a way to make a mini sub to travel even the lowest depths. I think there's ideas here Nintendo can play with and use the tools of BotW to make "ways of exploring" underwater fun and unique.

You'll give some people extreme anxiety this way but I'd love it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll give some people extreme anxiety this way but I'd love it.
Yeah it could be rough lol, but I feel like underwater is untapped across the industry. Imagine finding sharks and other deadly creatures you fight underwater. Link could fight underwater or try to stand on a raft to get them to come up. On the raft he's holding a lightning sword to electrocute them. Idk I feel there's a lot here to work with

Maybe your helmet needs a lightbulb to explore a certain dark underwater cave. You have to find the fish with a lightbulb (this is a real life fish I forgot the name of it). When you beat it you get the bulb to forge into your helmet and now you have a helmet with light.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Link should stay mute. It's the same Link from BOTW, the one we know canonically tries to avoid speaking period.

If anything they should re-mute Zelda considering the rather... dubious quality of her VA last go around. Yeesh.
Link being mute makes cutscenes really awkward and lame, imo. It's better than pokemon because he at least shows some emotion, but it's hard to take it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.