• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While Nintendo is a very different company than back then and they're a lot more conservative with Directs now, they did have a Direct a week before Christmas in 2013, and it ended up being one of the greatest Directs of all time, so hey, very unlikely but not impossible.
i just don't see the point. early 2020 is already planned with TMS, brain age and animal crossing. doing one early 2020 makes the most sense if they want to reveal their plans for the rest of the year.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
i just don't see the point. early 2020 is already planned with TMS, brain age and animal crossing. doing one early 2020 makes the most sense if they want to reveal their plans for the rest of the year.

They won't reveal their plans for the rest of the year at the Direct, though. They never do. That's not until E3. E3 gives a look into what you can expect in the second half, not the first Direct of the year. First Direct will get us through June.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
They won't reveal their plans for the rest of the year at the Direct, though. They never do. That's not until E3. E3 gives a look into what you can expect in the second half, not the first Direct of the year. First Direct will get us through June.

It depends though on the games they showcase in the direct. Sometimes they do third party heavy Directs and put up their big games alongside it which come later in the year. I'm just looking forward to seeing what brand new games Nintendo have to show for 2020. We can already guess the sequels but the new stuff will intrigue me.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My dream Nintendo game is still a reboot of the F-Zero franchise. Keep the things that made it great but expand it to also have a world to explore and a structure inspired by the GTA games.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, first Direct of the year since Switch was revealed has mostly confirmed the line-up for the rest of the year. Going into E3 we have mostly known what is coming and it has mostly been updating on those games.

Edit: double post ooops

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
January-February Directs are focused on releases until E3, March-April Directs on releases until September, E3 on releases to rest of year, September Direct on releases until Q1 of next year, so they are focused on around next 6 months.
Key word here is focused because they always show something more, at least that was case with Switch Directs.

Last edited:

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Yeah. Really, 2019 was the stand out year, with a february direct and a ton of reveals in that one. I don't expect the january direct to reveal all the biggest games of the year like they did this year.
I'd say we can expect something like the January 2018 Direct: a mix of updates for existing titles (Smash) and ports, both first - party and third-party, to the system.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Anyone else thinks we'll get 2 general directs before E3?

I can totally see that happening! Not even counting an AC centric one.

I'm curious when they'll do a full reveal of BoTW2...if I were doing the marketing plan for it (assuming the holiday 2020 release date) I'd do a trailer revealing the name and release tease pre-E3, then a gameplay treehouse demo for E3, and then another big comm push closer to launch with smaller breadcrumbs in between (dev interviews, screenshots, art, etc).

But also based on how they've marketed AC I can't guess their strategy. it feels like they've barely talked about it?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I'm curious when they'll do a full reveal of BoTW2...if I were doing the marketing plan for it (assuming the holiday 2020 release date) I'd do a trailer revealing the name and release tease pre-E3, then a gameplay treehouse demo for E3, and then another big comm push closer to launch with smaller breadcrumbs in between (dev interviews, screenshots, art, etc).

But also based on how they've marketed AC I can't guess their strategy. it feels like they've barely talked about it?
They started tweeting about AC yesterday, in fact (just a reminder, though). I think we'll see it feature to some degree in the next direct (not too big, probably a short feature explanation -- new ones, not a summary like in September).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo makes most of its sales (including software sales) in the very last months of the year.

Their strategy is to avoid talking about games coming out after that to maximize their sales during that time.

They are going to push Animal Crossing hard once we enter January.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
They started tweeting about AC yesterday, in fact (just a reminder, though). I think we'll see it feature to some degree in the next direct (not too big, probably a short feature explanation -- new ones, not a summary like in September).

You're probably right. It'd be cool to see new info on it! I've just found the tone of the promotion around this game bizarre - but we'll see what January brings!

Nintendo makes most of its sales (including software sales) in the very last months of the year.

Their strategy is to avoid talking about games coming out after that to maximize their sales during that time.

They are going to push Animal Crossing hard once we enter January.

Ahhh cool insight!

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, I seriously doubt that Metroid will get "plenty of love" on the Switch. At most, I think we will get Metroid Prime Trilogy and maybe a 2D Metroid Remake (which I would be very happy with to be honest). I don't think Metroid Prime 4 will release on the Switch, maybe on Switch 2 in 3-4 years time.

Worst case scenario is that MP4 will be cross gen game like Zelda, there is no way that isn't coming on current Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Really, 2019 was the stand out year, with a february direct and a ton of reveals in that one. I don't expect the january direct to reveal all the biggest games of the year like they did this year.
If we get the first one in January, I think so. If it's a February one, I don't think so.

My hunch is we'll get one in January and in March. One of them could be a mini, though, imo.

I can see a January and March direct. I think Nintendo will have a lot more announcements for 2020 and they don't want to squeeze it all into a February direct. I see them spreading it out into 2 directs.

Let's say BotW 2 is the big holiday title. I think it's most likely Nintendo will wait until E3. My hope is in a March direct they'll give a trailer and say it's coming holiday 2020.

Let's say BotW 2 isn't the big holiday game and Super Mario Odyssey 2 is the big holiday title. Nintendo ALWAYS announces the holiday game of the year before E3. 2017 we knew about Mario Odyssey before E3 2017. In 2018 Nintendo announced Smash in a March 2018 direct. This year Pokémon was announced in a Pokémon Direct. I assume this will continue in 2020.

If Odyssey is the holiday 2020 game then I see it announced in a March direct. Not sure when we'd see BotW 2 if it ends up being 2021. If it's spring then we have to see it at E3 so everyone can play it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Metroid Prime 4 will release on the Switch, maybe on Switch 2 in 3-4 years time.

I have never understood this position. Think hard, when was the last time Nintendo announced a game for a console but that game never made it to that console?

Off the top of my head I have to go back to Donkey Kong Racing on the Gamecube which was cancelled. If MP4 does finish being developed it is 100% releasing on Switch, there's no doubt. It might be cross gen like BotW but there's no chance it skips Switch.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I have never understood this position. Think hard, when was the last time Nintendo announced a game for a console but that game never made it to that console?

Off the top of my head I have to go back to Donkey Kong Racing on the Gamecube which was cancelled. If MP4 does finish being developed it is 100% releasing on Switch, there's no doubt. It might be cross gen like BotW but there's no chance it skips Switch.

Pikmin 4?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep. It will never skip the switch. That's NOT how Nintendo operates. At the most it'll be cross gen just like BotW

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Thinking about games on Nintendo platforms and which were delayed to the next systems I can only think of two; Eternal Darkness (N64 > Cube) and Resident Evil Zero (Also N64 > Cube)

And one is Nintendo published and the other was timed exclusive for about ten years ha

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about games on Nintendo platforms and which were delayed to the next systems I can only think of two; Eternal Darkness (N64 > Cube) and Resident Evil Zero (Also N64 > Cube)

And one is Nintendo published and the other was timed exclusive for about ten years ha

There are more of them. Kirby GameCube for instance, delayed to Wii to become Kirby Return to Dreamland. Super Paper Mario was also a GameCube game. Donkey Kong Racing became Donkey Kong Barrel Blast on Wii. "Dinosaur Planet 64" was morphed into Starfox Adventures, Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero became Xbox 360 launch titles instead of GameCube.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My dream Nintendo game is still a reboot of the F-Zero franchise. Keep the things that made it great but expand it to also have a world to explore and a structure inspired by the GTA games.
That sounds awful to me. The best part about F-Zero is the right level design and controls, you for open world and you're stripping it down from one of the things that make F-Zero great and unique.

Although, a spin off open world of Captain Falcon would be okay.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bayo 3 was very prematurely announced. At this point I even doubt it'll be a Switch game and not for it's successor. Same thing goes for MP4 and anything Retro related.

I'm not a fan of Nintendo's oversecrecy for 2020's line-up. It's generating unnecessary anxiety among it's fans and making room for unbased rumors and speculation. Their absence from VGA contributes to that even further.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Bayo 3 was very prematurely announced. At this point I even doubt it'll be a Switch game and not for it's successor. Same thing goes for MP4 and anything Retro related.
I think you're over exaggerating for Bayo 3. Platinum is busy, and Bayo 2 was announced the same way (although this game was a different situation), it's just a different marketing schedule. I'll get worried if we don't hear anything by E3.
For MP4, yeah it was prematurely announced, and it was obviously to reassure an audience, but that has nothing to do with Retro.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm not a fan of Nintendo's oversecrecy for 2020's line-up. It's generating unnecessary anxiety among it's fans and making room for unbased rumors and speculation. Their absence from VGA contributes to that even further.

It was the same last year. They've already announced like 8 games for 2020 and beyond, they'll just slowly give concrete dates and announce more games as they go along. People should know by now that they won't announce everything right away.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds awful to me. The best part about F-Zero is the right level design and controls, you for open world and you're stripping it down from one of the things that make F-Zero great and unique.

Although, a spin off open world of Captain Falcon would be okay.
I don't want to strip it off anything. Keep the base parts of F-Dero and build on them.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If there's indeed a clean generation break between the switch and the follow up machine (I don't believe there will be), it's not so outlandish for MP4 to be pushed to the next generation; as mentioned by others, there are a few examples of similar things happening even with Nintendo.
For what it's worth, I believe it'll come on the current switch.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
I would think 2020 is crucial for Nintendo. With PS5 and the new Xbox coming out during the holidays, Nintendo needs some heavy hitters around the holidays so stay relevant. I would assume that would mean new Zelda or new Mario. I'm excited for 2020 and hope we keep getting great JRPGs. More Dragon Quest wouldn't hurt either.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I would think 2020 is crucial for Nintendo. With PS5 and the new Xbox coming out during the holidays, Nintendo needs some heavy hitters around the holidays so stay relevant. I would assume that would mean new Zelda or new Mario. I'm excited for 2020 and hope we keep getting great JRPGs. More Dragon Quest wouldn't hurt either.
I think in order to keep themselves in full view despite the new systems launching, Nintendo would do well to have two more very big games in addition to Animal Crossing. If they have something like Animal Crossing, BOTW 2 and SMO 2 for 2020 (or maybe one of the two latter games and a Pokémon remake alongside AC), then they will be very present in the conversation, and will perform as well as this year I think.

DQ would be nice, but the most that is possible is a DQ Monsters for Japan, which, while nice and reasonably big, will not be that significant and will moreover likely be multiplat with PS4.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kirby's Adventure?

I'm betting it'll be cross-gen

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Personally all I think they need to do to give themselves good mindshare during the 2020 holidays is cut the Switch's price by ~$50. A $150 Switch Lite will probably fly off the shelves, especially next to $500 consoles.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue with Bayonetta 3 was simply that it was announced quite early, at the behest of a developer that isn't quite as big as people seem to think they are, nor immune to the ebbs and flows of industry pressures and development difficulties. Platinum hasn't exactly coasted through their entire existence. Post Metal Gear Rising they had a pretty extensive rough patch, and it wasn't until Nier Automata came along that they picked up. Even so, Astral Chain was clearly the major focus at the time and probably sucked a lot of resources away from Bayonetta 3. Their work on Granblue was canned. And Babylon's Fall doesn't look anywhere near as far as along as most people expected.

I don't doubt Bayonetta 3 is deep in development and targeting a 2020 release, but yeah. Announced quite early, it seems.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm like super excited for 2020. I really think it could end up as Nintendo's greatest year ever. I know we don't know much. It just feels like it all came together.

Maybe the first half will feel slower again. We do have AC which is huge. I expect Nintendo will be on fire from June 2020-December 2020 like this year. We're getting into the weeds of where Nintendo can pull out a Metroid, Pikmin, DK and Paper Mario. These are core franchises to the Nintendo base. There's Warioware, mario sports, tomadachi life probably still coming. Some new casual sports IP from Nintendo.

Last edited:

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
For MP4, yeah it was prematurely announced, and it was obviously to reassure an audience, but that has nothing to do with Retro.

I feel Bayo3 was announced early for the same reason. To reassure that "Switch have big games on the way".I also think, back then, announcing only Bayo 1&2 Switch ver on TGA would make Nin look stupid lol.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me, I think 2020 looks better now than what we knew of 2019 a year ago.

TMS#fe, Story of Seasons FoMT, Animal Crossing, Sports Story, Doom Eternal, The Outer Worlds, Panzer Dragoon, Streets of Rage 4, Disaster Report, Rune Factory IV/V, No More Heroes 3, Bayonetta 3, Bravely Default 2, Xenoblade Remastered, Radirgy Swag, Psykio Shooting Collections, Deadly Premonition 2, Orangeblood, Trials of Mana...

That's just off the top of my head without looking anything else up or any Directs. I'm already broke.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Question, do you guys want Nintendo to announce games that are several years away (Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3) or do you like their usual Modus operandi of announcing games that are 6 to 12 months away?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question, do you guys want Nintendo to announce games that are several years away (Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3) or do you like their usual Modus operandi of announcing games that are 6 to 12 months away?
Well we see what's the problem with announcing games several years away like MP4 and Bayo 3 lol. I don't want them to be Sony in that regard.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think 6-18 months. I preferably would like to know par of the bigger games for the next year, so that I can start to plan some stuff with regards to financing and time management, so for those, a 12-18 month reveal-to-release bracket would be great. For smaller releases, please keep them 6-12 months! There's not a single release for which an 18+ month reveal-to-release window makes sense imo.

I will say that the 12-18 bracket is not very important, and a general 6-12 month advance is better than a general 12-18 month advance imo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Daily reminder that the Switch is only 2 years old.
So fucking sick of those "oh, it's dead, it's not gonna release on the Switch at this point" messages.
I think people forget how old the Switch is when they keep talking about games moving exclusively to Nintendo's next system. By March 2022 the system is only 5 years old. Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3 would be out by then the latest when Switch is still Nintendo's main system. They reiterated again at the investors meeting they want the Switch to have a long life. Now we could have a "Switch Pro" or those "SCD" things by then, but we won't have full next generation jump by that point, I think.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daily reminder that the Switch is only 2 years old.
So fucking sick of those "oh, it's dead, it's not gonna release on the Switch at this point" messages.
no one is saying the Switch is dead, but MP4 being rebooted at the start of this year/late last year means release is gonna run up with the end of the system's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.