• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
I want to believe markomaro regarding DK, but I am afraid to get my hopes crushed again. Each Direct I have some hope, and there haven't been new DK games since early 2014! I was happy to get Funky Kong in the Switch port, but it is not enough for such a long period of absence of DK.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah... that was a weird one. I didn't expect much from Xbox One, PS4 this late into their cycles but the Switch is in its prime - I expected more from Nintendo at one of the biggest events of the year, an event that draws significantly more viewership than a Direct will.

Next Direct gonna be a beast?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Let's do this, a total fantasy release list for exclusives:

January: TMS#FE E
February: -
March: Animal Crossing New Horizons
April: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
May: -
June: No More Heroes 3
July: Xenoblade Chronicles DE
August: Bravely Default 2
September: BOTW 2
October: Bayonetta 3
November: Super Mario Odyssey 2
December: -

I don't think we will see a Pokémon game this year, DP remake will be 2021 in my view. If the above line up pans out, that does rival 2017 and 2019 in my view.

While there's much quality, this would be a massively lackluster H1 - worst so far in the Switch life. 2 Ports, AC and a AA exclusive third party game.
2nd half is my cup of tea though, XC, BD2, Botw2, Bayo 3 and SMO2 :O That would be intense.

I dont see this happening though, 4 new games, 3 ports/remasters, 1 third party and 1 third party but published by Nintendo. I suspect we're not gonna see Botw2, Bayo 3 and SMO2 this year but a bigger lineup instead. We had 19 Nintendo Published games in 2019 - your list includes 8, even if many of them are massive.

Nice list and breakdown
always a little annoying when a post definitively goes
Here is X 2020 games:
and is missing like 10.

Thanks, I might have missed something but I want to believe it's the vast majority.

The switch is diverse if you are a big rpg fan, otherwise....

While RPG's are definately a well represented genre on the Switch I fail to see how the system is not diverse.
What do you feel is not covered in the lineup by both Nintendo and third parties? Some can get more ofc but overall there's definately something for everyone pretty much.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nate and Imran said they could see Trilogy coming this year. I don't know if that's inside info or not.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Switch most certainly lacks in certain areas which I hope will get fixed the next few years. Stealth, fps, tps, open world games, horror games, online focused games are pretty much either absent or on life
Support. Switch has a very strong library so far but I don't think it's earned it's place among the SNES, DS or even N64 yet. Market conditions are different of course but Nintendo lost a lot of console support since the GC days and never fully recovered from it. I feel like the Switch is a return to form but it still needs more bigger devs making games for it.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
You can tell when someone is bullshitting about being an insider because they'll never mention any new IP.

There's bound to be at least 2 or 3 games Nintendo will release that are brand new.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Unless the Switch get a surged of big Japanese support, it aren't touching the DS's library.

the ds never had stuff like breath of the wild, splatoon, smash brothers, luigi's mansion, dark souls, diablo, xenoblades, grid autosprt, witcher 3, skyrim, bayonettas, astral chain, devil may crys, resident evils, no more heroes, dooms, wolfensteins, the outer worlds, proper football games, proper basketball games, proper dragonball and naruto fighting games or big multiplayer games like rocket league, warframe and fortnite.

don't live in nostalgia. the switch is the best nintendo gaming machine ever already. and I'm not even counting the dozens of great indies available.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Well it doesn't have to be a new game, a port of Blacklist would fill that void in the library. There will be more last gen ports from Ubisoft I'm sure, AC Rebels won't be the end of it.

As for Need for Speed... Yeah, I know it's a lost cause. But I'll always have a tiny bit of hope.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Well it doesn't have to be a new game, a port of Blacklist would fill that void in the library. There will be more last gen ports from Ubisoft I'm sure, AC Rebels won't be the end of it.

As for Need for Speed... Yeah, I know it's a lost cause. But I'll always have a tiny bit of hope.
I think Ubisoft would port the old Far Cry games before they start looking at their last-gen Tom Clancy stuff

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
DS's weak spot is on its 1st party library, Switch is already on another level in that area.

The DS has a lot of original content from Nintendo doing new and weird things. DS gave birth to Nintendogs, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy. Art Academy, Electroplankton, Elite Beat Agents, Picross 3D , Kirby's Carves Curse, two Zelda games that was control only with the stylus, and Advance Wars was still alive and got two games.

It also had several dozen Pokemon spinoffs like: Pokémon Conquest, Pokémon Dash, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series, Pokémon Ranger series, and Pokémon Trozei!.

So while it wasn't strong in the 'core' gamers category, it was Nintendo at its most experimental and dare I say, bold. We got some of that on Switch with Labo and Ring Fit Adventure, but nothing like it was during the peak of the DS.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ubisoft would port the old Far Cry games before they start looking at their last-gen Tom Clancy stuff

Far Cry games would be some welcome additions to Switch library. We don't have many games like those on Switch, open world FPS games. I have never played FC4, maybe I'll do it on my Switch Lite.

May 10, 2019
Absolutely, I think 2020 will be just as good as 2017 and 2019.

In 2017, I said Switch will go down as the greatest software library that Nintendo ever had. And I've stuck to that belief every year. I don't say it to be a delusional Nintendo fangirl. I genuinely believe that -- in the very end -- Switch's software library will wipe the floor with SNES, GameCube, DS, 3DS. And it won't even be close. Not even close at all.

There's still a ton of unannounced games. Switch owners will continue to be bombarded with software (first party, third party, indie).

And there it is.

Anyway my 2020 crystal ball, which is more ridiculous than anybody's, I'm sure:

January - Brain Age: Nintendo Switch Training, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
February - Picross, Snack World (heavy promotion if not outright published)
March - Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Dillon Remastered (all three games)
April - Style Savvy, Wonderful 101
May - Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Super Mario Slammers (baseball)
June -Splatoon Royale (f2p), Zelda Maker (expanded dl-only version of Link's Awakening dungeon builder)
July - No More Heroes III, Sports Story
August - Detective Pikachu 2, Ringfit Follow-up/Expansion, Bayonetta 3
September - Bravely Default II, new major Kirby title
October - Metroid 2D, Wario Ware, Pikmin 3 remaster
November - Breath of The Wild 2, Stretchmo 2
December - Shin Megami Tensei V

Stuff I don't know where to put:
Mario Kart 9, Arc System Works Fire Emblem fighter

I don't think Mario Odyssey 2 is happening just yet, 2021 for sure though. I'm 50/50 on Pokemon Let's Go Johto games will be early 2021 too, with Gen4 remakes coming late in 2021.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Switch most certainly lacks in certain areas which I hope will get fixed the next few years. Stealth, fps, tps, open world games, horror games, online focused games are pretty much either absent or on life

I agree there are definitely areas where Switch needs to improve.

However, I think Nintendo is doing an okay job with the FPS genre.

Alien: Isolation
Overwatch and Overwatch 2
Fortnite
Paladins
Doom (2016), Doom Eternal, Doom 3, Doom 64, Doom I and II
Wolfenstein II and Wolfenstein Youngblood
Turok 1 and 2
Superhot

The only big thing they're missing are military shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield. That's the only thing that's holding them back in the FPS genre.

May 10, 2019
With Animal Crossing coming in March and preorders still not open in Japan (they usually open after Directs), anything after January would be too late for a huge game like that.

Couple of folks said general direct in January and AC focused mini in February (a couple of weeks before release).
Based on the timing of the Indie World this week, I kinda lean towards that.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
DS had some interesting smaller first party titles like Elite Beat Agents and Kirby Canvas Curse, but a lot of the core series installments weren't that great in hindsight. NSMB, Mario 64 DS, Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, Metroid Prime Hunters, etc weren't all that.

I'd definitely take the likes of Mario 3D Land, Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Kid Icarus Uprising, Samus Returns, Fire Emblem Awakening, etc over a lot of the first party DS stuff any day.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no wii u port in january or February. Like they could easily just stick one there for filler. Especially with not even a december game.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While there's much quality, this would be a massively lackluster H1 - worst so far in the Switch life. 2 Ports, AC and a AA exclusive third party game.
2nd half is my cup of tea though, XC, BD2, Botw2, Bayo 3 and SMO2 :O That would be intense.

I dont see this happening though, 4 new games, 3 ports/remasters, 1 third party and 1 third party but published by Nintendo. I suspect we're not gonna see Botw2, Bayo 3 and SMO2 this year but a bigger lineup instead. We had 19 Nintendo Published games in 2019 - your list includes 8, even if many of them are massive.

Thanks, I might have missed something but I want to believe it's the vast majority.

While RPG's are definately a well represented genre on the Switch I fail to see how the system is not diverse.
What do you feel is not covered in the lineup by both Nintendo and third parties? Some can get more ofc but overall there's definately something for everyone pretty much.
What makes you think BotW2 will have an even longer dev cycle than the first game when it seems to be reusing assets? Never understood that sentiment.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Switch has been an absolute monster when it comes to RPGs. Japanese RPGs, Western RPGs. Indie RPGs. This week alone, we had announcements for Sports Story and Bravely Default 2.

This is one thing I love about the Switch. The system is an absolute RPG beast. There are so many on the system it's crazy. The system being portable makes playing RPGs on it that much better too. As an RPG fan, the Switch has become a must have system.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
This won't be in a Direct I guess but I wonder when we'll see a fitness game that takes advantage of the Ring Con.

Status
Not open for further replies.