• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sabi doing leaks. Some Batman Shadows Edition. Telltale I guess? Maybe this is what Geoff was talking about not getting what was rumored

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Again, that's assuming they completely started from scratch in late 2018. Development rarely works like that. There's really no reason they can't reuse the Samus model made by the original team for instance, or repurpose many of the animations for her and other models.

Unless they are going with a fundamentally different art style which seems unlikely.
The artstyle will be about the same but a different development team will have different ideas for art direction so I think Retro will mostly start from ground zero.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to believe Retro studios will not basically start from scratch. It's going to be their designs and philosophies now. They should have an idea what art direction they want.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Sabi is annoying. The event is in 5 hours. You're breaking NDA for a drip of clout for an announcement that nobody should be surprised that you have, considering the event is, again, in 5 hours.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Is there a precedent for continued work on games that are being withheld?
If MPT does exist and it's been held back this long, I'd be less pleased if it were a straight port. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for a game when it's delayed to make it better, but I'd hate if all the time it's sat on it's just being left as is.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a precedent for continued work on games that are being withheld?
If MPT does exist and it's been held back this long, I'd be less pleased if it were a straight port. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for a game when it's delayed to make it better, but I'd hate if all the time it's sat on it's just being left as is.
Yeah I'm kind of expecting Nintendo is just sitting on it and not doing anymore extra work to it

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Sabi is a reporter for NintendoSoup. NintendoSoup is a banned source. Transitive property, maybe? Please??

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
They announced Bayo 1, 2, and 3 on the same day (at the same event).

So yeah, they did kind of tie Bayo 1 and 2 into Bayo 3's announcement.

Don't expect MP Trilogy to release on Switch until the second half of 2020, at the earliest.
Metroid Prime Trilogy is Direct material. It'll be paired with a MP4 trailer and the gap between reveal and release for Trilogy will be small.

Do either of you feel like Nintendo (or whoever they've contracted to do the port) is still improving/polishing during this time, ala Pikmin 3 in preparation for Pikmin 4? Or are they really sitting on a finished product, as they are apparently wont to do?

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, I mean i can understand if it's held back a couple months at most, but when it's more than a year it feels like a bit of a p*ss take.

with several companies going the distance to actually remake old games, Nintendo doing jack with MPT would be a slap in the face. I'd rather they tackle them one at a time and give them each a solid effort than give us a rerelease or the Wii trilogy.

edit: Nintendo did it themselves with LA - so we know they have it in them

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't think Anything unannounced will appear at game awards from Nintendo.
we'll get cranky kong and be happy about it.
I half expect a new animal crossing trailer.
with several companies going the distance to actually remake old games, Nintendo doing jack with MPT would be a slap in the face. I'd rather they tackle them one at a time and give them each a solid effort than give us a rerelease or the Wii trilogy.

edit: Nintendo did it themselves with LA - so we know they have it in them
I would love it if they updated some of the models and textures .. maybe threw on some normal maps and a new lighting system and called it good. I'd be fine with that

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
mpt will get announced when mp4 is closer to release. I dont understand how this is hard to understand.

And even then it will only get announced within 6 months before release. Not any earlier.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The artstyle will be about the same but a different development team will have different ideas for art direction so I think Retro will mostly start from ground zero.

I guess it depends on the quality of the work already done. If the character models all looked good and were rigged well there's no reason they can't be tweaked visually to fit the art style Retro wants to put out. I'm guessing things like environmental art will be a bit more different comparing between the two teams but even still, things like rocks, cliffs, trees, barrels, missiles, etc. can probably translate quite easily to the rebooted project with minimal changes.

Things like level/world design, game mechanics, story, presentation, music, etc. would all likely need to be done from scratch but I don't really see a reason why they can't reuse at least some of the existing assets. I guess we could find out when we eventually see the game's credits.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Is 2020 the year of Mother 3? Is it time for the prodigal RPG trilogy to finally conclude in English officially?
532.gif

I don't think Mother 3 is ever happening outside of a full remake where they can redesign the magypsies

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yup Come on guys. Its just like Bayonetta 1&2, which were announced close to the Bayonetta 3 release. Is that so hard to understand?!?! So obvious.

Damn you.
I feel like Nintendo is trying to position Metroid Prime as a top western franchise this time whereas Bayo was aimed at a particular segment.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a Metroid 5 this year. We know a 2D Metroid was in the works in 2017, and I really hope it's not another remake.

Also I can see Paper Mario happening, and probably a Super Mario Party 2.

Add all that to BotW2, Odyssey 2, and a couple third party Nintendo published games (like MUA3) and we're looking at a great year.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Prime 4's timing will depend on quite a few things;

What, if anything, could be salvaged from the first go round with, presumably, Bandai Namco?

When did Retro officially take the reigns, and make MP4 their main focus? They announced the change Jan 25th, was Retro already days/weeks/months in, or literally starting that day? (and were they working on anything else that could've split their resources at the time that I assume got shelved? If so, when?)

And moving into 2021/22, what is the timing or likelihood for Switch 2's release? Should this be a cross gen title like BOTW?

...I just really want some HD Metroid, man. 2D or 3D.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, that's assuming they completely started from scratch in late 2018. Development rarely works like that. There's really no reason they can't reuse the Samus model made by the original team for instance, or repurpose many of the animations for her and other models.

Unless they are going with a fundamentally different art style which seems unlikely.

None of us know how much they were able to salvage from the original project but a 3 year dev cycle isn't anything out of the ordinary even when you're not starting completely from scratch.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
honestly it looks like outside of this little oasis in NintendEra and die hard Zelda fans, no one is even really predicting BoTW2 to be there?

That's the feeling that i get from Twitter, anyway.

Either way - what's the countdown look like? 4 hours?

too bad imma be asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.