• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Halo on Switch be dead? Vern said last month it was coming to Switch. Zell was still expecting "Mario on PlayStation" after E3.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? Afaik nobody put an expected time frame on it.
it's all speculation on my part, of course. but i think even if at one point it was being considered, it's shelved now. from microsoft's point of view, they've clearly said from now on the focus of XGS is creating exclusive content. i think this close to next gen putting a game in their biggest IP on competing platforms would be sending mixed signals, and they wouldn't want that. after the current batch of games that are coming to other platforms because of previous obligations (outer worlds, psychonauts 2 and wasteland 3) i don't expect anything non-minecraft to come to switch (or ps4). a few announcements close to each other (ori, cuphead, banjo) may have made people think there's more to come but i don't think so.

Why would Halo on Switch be dead? Vern said last month it was coming to Switch. Zell was still expecting "Mario on PlayStation" after E3.
i guess we'll see. i'd be pleasantly surprised of course, but i don't expect it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're taking ages for MCC on PC so even if Halo Switch is real, I don't expect it to happen any time soon right now...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we aren't all jinxing BotW2 by predicting it like Metroid last year

Though I guess that's because it was delayed and a special case, though I still wonder if it would've appeared if it wasn't delayed...

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Halo on Switch is definitely something people should not expect. Feels like XGS is committed to developing exclusives for Xbox and PC besides Minecraft stuff. Master Chief in Smash on the other hand :)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we aren't all jinxing BotW2 by predicting it like Metroid last year

Though I guess that's because it was delayed and a special case, though I still wonder if it would've appeared if it wasn't delayed...

I would've thought Nintendo would've did the first trailer reveal for Prime 4 here to release this year.

one by one, starting with reach.
Only Reach has been released so far, no dates for the others announced yet.
I see

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is a third party company. Them putting old Halo games doesn't affect them in the long run. It only helps them make more money by being on Switch.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, Super Lucky's Tale, Ori, and Cuphead came out just this year alone. Insiders hinted at more to come. What's with this line of thinking lol
they're really not the same as halo. only ori is a first party IP, and that one came because the dev wanted to do it for switch and MS allowed it. the others are just games with MS marketing deals, not really a huge deal for them to come to other platforms.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
they're really not the same as halo. only ori is a first party IP, and that one came because the dev wanted to do it for switch and MS allowed it. the others are just games with MS marketing deals, not really a huge deal for them to come to other platforms.

Alright, what about the Cuphead and Ori leaks where it was also said that Halo was coming?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Ori is a special exception because it wasn't developed by a first party division of Microsoft, despite them owning the IP.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, what about the Cuphead and Ori leaks where it was also said that Halo was coming?
i said maybe at some point it was being considered.
i'm not trying to be a buzzkill tbh, and i'd be happy if it does happen. it's just that i don't see what good it'd do for MS as a platform holder who's focussing so much on buying studios and creating exclusive content and preparing themselves for next gen.
they certainly don't need the money (whatever halo can sell on switch)
there are so many games in the series, where to start? are they gonna port all of the ones that are possible (pre-5)? what about physical releases?
is it for good will? they already have a lot of it with nintendo fans after cuphead, ori and banjo.
in my mind, it doesn't make sense why it would happen at this point.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Super Lucky's Tale is completely owned by Playful afaik. Ori on Switch happened apparently because Moon Studios asked Microsoft to let them do it and Microsoft gave them the green light. Hopefully they ask Microsoft to let them port Ori 2 as well...

NMH3 new trailer would make sense for the TGAs. Geoff likes to showcase that type of indie, and Suda51 could put as much swearing and gore as he wants whereas he'd have to make a censored trailer for Nintendo.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They're taking ages for MCC on PC so even if Halo Switch is real, I don't expect it to happen any time soon right now...

As I said in my earlier post, only Bungie made Halo games are problematic as they're using multiple engines and that makes it very difficult to port to other platforms.

343i made Halo games shouldn't be problem. We don't know if it's the full collection or the first game only but just Halo CE Anniversary port shouldn't be ruled out.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Lucky's Tale is completely owned by Playful afaik. Ori on Switch happened apparently because Moon Studios asked Microsoft to let them do it and Microsoft gave them the green light. Hopefully they ask Microsoft to let them port Ori 2 as well...
yeah, as is cuphead. that one is owned by studio MDHR.
i'm slightly optimistic for ori 2, but since it's moving to full 3D models (ori 1 is sprite-based) it might be tough to get it to run as well as 1 on switch (native res/60 fps). i'm thinking if it does come, it'll come to switch 2.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
i said maybe at some point it was being considered.
i'm not trying to be a buzzkill tbh, and i'd be happy if it does happen. it's just that i don't see what good it'd do for MS as a platform holder who's focussing so much on buying studios and creating exclusive content and preparing themselves for next gen.
they certainly don't need the money (whatever halo can sell on switch)
there are so many games in the series, where to start? are they gonna port all of the ones that are possible (pre-5)? what about physical releases?
is it for good will? they already have a lot of it with nintendo fans after cuphead, ori and banjo.
in my mind, it doesn't make sense why it would happen at this point.
Microsoft is now putting their games on Steam. If they view the Switch as a different proposition than theirs (i.e not a direct competitor) then porting their games there follow the same logic.

They used to put some of their 1st party games on DS for instance.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
yeah, as is cuphead. that one is owned by studio MDHR.
i'm slightly optimistic for ori 2, but since it's moving to full 3D models (ori 1 is sprite-based) it might be tough to get it to run as well as 1 on switch (native res/60 fps). i'm thinking if it does come, it'll come to switch 2.
I think the Switch could run Ori 2, just with downgrades unlike the perfect port of the first Ori. One of the folks at Moon Studios said something interesting when asked about the possiblity of Ori 2 on Switch which makes me think that it will happen sooner or later, depending on how cooperative Microsoft is. I don't have receipts because I don't remember the name of the Era account and he has probably made too many posts for me to track it down anyway.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is now putting their games on Steam. If they view the Switch as a different proposition than theirs (i.e not a direct competitor) then porting their games there follow the same logic.

They used to put some of their 1st party games on DS for instance.
they clearly have a vested interest in PC gaming, specially with game pass on PC now being a thing, and putting their games on steam seems like an easy move to make PC gamers happy (specially since they expect most PC gamers to get the games on their own store and using game pass). for switch, i don't really see how it benefits them. they don't have game pass on there, and soon with xcloud, they're gonna have people playing their games without the need of a console/PC anyway.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
they clearly have a vested interest in PC gaming, specially with game pass now being a thing, and putting their games on steam seems like an easy move to make PC gamers happy (specially since they expect most PC gamers to get the games on their own store and using game pass). for switch, i don't really see how it benefits them. they don't have game pass on there, and soon with xcloud, they're gonna have people playing their games without the need of a console/PC anyway.
They sell their games to a bigger audience and reach market they cant through Xbox or PC ? (Like Japan) This includes Xbox Live as well.

It benefits them greatly more than not doing it. The Xbox hardware sales wont matter as much as before when their games can be played on it but also PC/Mobile and maybe Switch.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They sell their games to a bigger audience and reach market they cant through Xbox or PC ? (Like Japan) This includes Xbox Live as well.

It benefits them greatly more than not doing it. The Xbox hardware sales wont matter as much as before when their games can be played on it but also PC/Mobile and maybe Switch.
i guess we'll see. i'm not saying it's impossible. i just think "halo on switch" is too big of a deal, and not all positive for MS this close to launching a new console. but maybe i'm overthinking it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I said in my earlier post, only Bungie made Halo games are problematic as they're using multiple engines and that makes it very difficult to port to other platforms.

343i made Halo games shouldn't be problem. We don't know if it's the full collection or the first game only but just Halo CE Anniversary port shouldn't be ruled out.

That's 2 Anniversary you're thinking of.

Four major Halo remasters are included in The Master Chief Collection, but the Halo 2 Anniversary Edition is quite the package itself - a fitting tribute to a classic game celebrating its tenth anniversary this year. Saber Interactive returns from Halo Anniversary duties to handle the re-mastered campaign, while Certain Affinity, formed by ex-Bungie employee Max Hoberman, is tasked with remaking six of the game's multiplayer maps. On top of that, Blur Studio has recreated key cut-scenes as high-end CG renders, while 343 Industries facilitates the whole project. So what we have here is one game featuring three engines and four developers - five if you factor in Bungie's work on the original game.

Similarly, Halo Anniversary 1 also runs at least 2 engines.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Watching this, one thing I won't ever get is how some people think 2020 is "too early" for BotW. The first BotW was developed in around 4ish years, and Holiday 2020 would put BotW2 at 3 years and 9 months (assuming it releases in November) and this seems to be reusing assets from the first game, so I don't see the sense in assuming that's remotely close to "early."

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Watching this, one thing I won't ever get is how some people think 2020 is "too early" for BotW. The first BotW was developed in around 4ish years, and Holiday 2020 would put BotW2 at 3 years and 9 months (assuming it releases in November) and this seems to be reusing assets from the first game, so I don't see the sense in assuming that's remotely close to "early."
Right ? Same engine, same major mechanics, reuse a lot of assets... ~3 years isn't too early.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
MS would be smart if they put Halo and other stuff on Nintendo platforms. They have a different strategy from Sony and I like the idea of them making their own series more widely available to get people to buy Xboxes when new entries come out. Nintendo platforms also have a larger share of younger gamers. Its a good place to grow IP.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right ? Same engine, same major mechanics, reuse a lot of assets... ~3 years isn't too early.
it's not even 3 years. it's pretty much 4, probably more. early 2017 to late 2020, also considering botw was most likely done quite a while before release, just released in march 2017 to coincide with the launch of switch (and the switch port wasn't even done in-house, it was done by TOSE). by all accounts the sequel can easily be ready for a late 2020 release.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting because on the Halo thread, people said "forget about Halo 3, it would be miracle to have port of it on a platform like Switch".

Maybe we're getting Halo 4 only?
all the recent halos are on a UE4 back end. we're still probably just getting Halo 1. not because of technical issues though

Oct 27, 2017
United States

2020 is most definitely not too early for a release. Unless Nintendo has a separate unannounced game on track for the end of the year, I could see the Breath of the Wild being their marquee holiday title. You also raised a good point with the first game being almost four years old by that point. I don't think Nintendo would want to recreate the extended drought of brand new entries that the series suffered through on the Wii U.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
2020 is most definitely not too early for a release. Unless Nintendo has a separate unannounced game on track for the end of the year, I could see the Breath of the Wild being their marquee holiday title. You also raised a good point with the first game being almost four years old by that point. I don't think Nintendo would want to recreate the extended drought of brand new entries that the series suffered through on the Wii U.
True. I think we're due for a lot of Year 1 Switch game sequels by 2020-2021. Side note, kinda crazy to think if the Switch does live through 2024 or beyond as Nintendo said it might before, there's a possibility of getting a Zelda Trilogy by the end of its life. Wild.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Just finished watching the full gamexplain video, good discussion. Wish they'd post timestamps for long videos/varied discussions like those though.
Felt that the smash predictions were mostly safe bets, but some interesting/"ballsy" predictions for the rest of the show imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.