• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
People don't have to like or agree with him, but he isn't an asshole like a ton of youtubers and isn't a sellout. I would think people at least appreciate someone that just gives honest opinions. He isn't pretending to be a connoisseur of games and all knowing.
Well I was just replying to that:
Why do people hate arlo? Because he gives his real honest opinions without sugar coating?
Why people "hate"/dislike him. Hard to appreciate someone you dislike (never really seen hate about him though).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
His favorite games (or at least the ones he talks about all the time) are Pikmin, TTYD, and Metroid Prime. I can definitely see how someone would think he's a big GameCube fan, not that there's anything wrong with that of course.
He loves pm64 too, and really likes some other mario rpg games, and loves most metroid, and loves a lot of other mario stuff, some zelda, likes some pokemon, and some other stuff. Idk, I just don't get why people get so mad about most of his new videos now.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His favorite games (or at least the ones he talks about all the time) are Pikmin, TTYD, and Metroid Prime. I can definitely see how someone would think he's a big GameCube fan, not that there's anything wrong with that of course.
It's true these are some of his favorite games ever. He always want a new Pikmin and I can't blame him, but overall he makes lighthearted fun content. I get he was disappointed with the September Direct, but he wasn't the only one.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo fanbase is very diverse and Arlo is ONLY one person. So he will not like many Nintendo franchise me or you love. He does like many of them. It's not like he's Gamexplain where they have like 4-5 people and combined they cover pretty much all Nintendo franchises.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
too many marios on that list. after the disappointing mario maker 2 sales (which I called) they better off chilling a bit with the "mario" titles.

and I don't see mario party getting a new game on switch. maaaaaybe later on 2021 or 2022.
That's.... not true, in the slightest really. At the end of Fiscal Q2 it's behind lifetime MM1 sales by 0.08 million, and will absolutely blast by it this quarter, and likely do more than double of the first game.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think people are bothered by Arlo because he is both an obsessive fan (which obviously the frequent posters in this thread shouldn't dislike) and is consistently misinformed relative to the hyper-attuned sources of info we're used to on this site (leakers as well as very informed members). I think this balance is off-putting to some as he can seem arrogant while not backing it up to some people's standards.

Personally I don't mind Arlo, but I think that his content suffers from his tendency to bloviate his opinions in a way that seemingly sets out to create a façade of authority but really makes his videos kinda long and hard to watch. This is kind of hypocritical of me, I know. But it's not a serious complaint and I think for the most part his stuff is good. The hate (which I think does exist in smatterings here and there) is weird.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The Nintendo fanbase is very diverse and Arlo is ONLY one person. So he will not like many Nintendo franchise me or you love. He does like many of them. It's not like he's Gamexplain where they have like 4-5 people and combined they cover pretty much all Nintendo franchises.
That's the thing with nintendo and different people that talk about them. People can like and dislike any different combination of series. It seems like some people here forget that sometimes and think basically everyone here all has the same tastes.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing with nintendo and different people that talk about them. People can like and dislike any different combination of series. It seems like some people here forget that sometimes and think basically everyone here all has the same tastes.
Right

Nintendo fan A loves- Pikmin, Pokemon, 3D Mario, Rhythm Heaven, 3D Zelda and Mario Kart
Nintendo fan B loves- Metroid, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart, Zelda, Xenoblade and Star Fox
Nintendo fan C loves- Animal Crossing, Style Savvy, Smash, Pokemon, 3D Mario and DKC

Nintendo is probably the most diverse company in the type of games they make.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Pikmin 4 doesn't have nighttime exploration finally, complete with luminescent, glow-in-the-dark Pikmin, then the wait was all a waste.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Pikmin is not a big title and apparently been in dev (even if rebooted) for a while.
It could be a 2020 title (hell, they could even be sitting on it for some reason like other titles).

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Right

Nintendo fan A loves- Pikmin, Pokemon, 3D Mario, Rhythm Heaven, 3D Zelda and Mario Kart
Nintendo fan B loves- Metroid, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart, Zelda, Xenoblade and Star Fox
Nintendo fan C loves- Animal Crossing, Style Savvy, Smash, Pokemon, 3D Mario and DKC

I guess I'm fan D: Pokémon, Fire Emblem, WarioWare, WarioLand, Yoshi, Donkey Kong (especially DK64) (and Advance Wars but obviously it's dead)

And yes, Nintendo IS the company with most diverse fan profiles because first party support of other two consoles is literally dying down.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By the time the Switch 3 releases we might need to accept Pikmin 4 isn't happening.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm fan D: Pokémon, Fire Emblem, WarioWare, WarioLand, Yoshi, Donkey Kong (especially DK64) (and Advance Wars but obviously it's dead)

And yes, Nintendo IS the company with most diverse fan profiles because first party support of other two consoles is literally dying down.
See. You don't even care for Zelda or Mario. If you were making YouTube videos you'd turn a lot of Nintendo fans away

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Mario and Sonic really came and went, huh? Wonder if Nintendo will keep giving Sega the Mario license if the series' sales continue to decline.
I think people are bothered by Arlo because he is both an obsessive fan (which obviously the frequent posters in this thread shouldn't dislike) and is consistently misinformed relative to the hyper-attuned sources of info we're used to on this site (leakers as well as very informed members). I think this balance is off-putting to some as he can seem arrogant while not backing it up to some people's standards.

Personally I don't mind Arlo, but I think that his content suffers from his tendency to bloviate his opinions in a way that seemingly sets out to create a façade of authority but really makes his videos kinda long and hard to watch. This is kind of hypocritical of me, I know. But it's not a serious complaint and I think for the most part his stuff is good. The hate (which I think does exist in smatterings here and there) is weird.
Yeah I used to watch every Arlo video the day it is published but lately his content has seemed 10 minutes for the amount of insight it contains imo. Makes me appreciate someone like Doctre81 who just gets to the point.

Will give that Retro Studios video a chance later, though

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The day Nintendo actually releases a compilation of remakes/remasters is the day we know that hell has frozen over.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This will get ignored because people don't wanna hear it and because it's easier to pretend that his content is disliked because of his personal tastes. Can't wait to read the same posts again in a few weeks.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Voice is absolutely subjective.
What I mean by "gamecube kid" is that his videos/thoughts are absolutely centered about a very specific kind of game (from that era), and he's very dismissive of everything else. Check any of his Direct reaction videos to see that, his tastes are really not varied at all, and he is rarely enthusiastic about seeing new things, or even open to that.
His "real honest opinions" (per your words) are just the same thing he repeats over and over, with little variation, and often shows weird incomprehension about how/why X thing is happening. Is it a bad thing? No, but you can't act surprised people don't like him or are tired of him after a while.
"Not varied" because liking Mario, Zelda, Mario RPGs, Pokemon, Metroid, Splatoon, Mario Party, etc isn't varied?? Just sounds like you're upset he didn't like Xenoblade based on the Direct comment. Don't equate "not what I like" to "not varied" when those are clearly a wide range of genres.

Right

Yeah that's what I've always liked about Nintendo. And the more I've grown older, the more I realize I fit just about all of those molds. Even the types of games they make that I don't like as with 3D Mario, it still has a certain charm that makes it worth playing for me.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
"Not varied" because liking Mario, Zelda, Mario RPGs, Pokemon, Metroid, Splatoon, Mario Party, etc isn't varied?? Just sounds like you're upset he didn't like Xenoblade based on the Direct comment. Don't equate "not what I like" to "not varied" when those are clearly a wide range of genres.
Where did I even imply any of that? And when did he like a Mario RPG since TTYD?

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
not really what's being discussed but as a personal aside I think the puppet gimmick is neat and I actually wish he experimented a bit more with it

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I mean...shipments as of 9.30.19
  1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, 19.01 million
  2. Super Mario Odyssey, 15.38 million
  3. Super Mario Party, 7.59 million
  4. New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, 4.59 million
  5. Super Mario Maker 2, 3.93 million
  6. Mario Tennis Aces, 2.75 million
  7. Mario and Rabbids, 2.5 million
That is 55.75 million units of Switch software starring Mario, and that's leaving off Smash. It would be a very strange choice for Nintendo to lay off Mario games in 2020. They just make so much money. NSMBD and MM2 haven't even had a Holiday season yet.
Yeah 2-3 Mario games per year is the sweet spot, my guess for next year.

Mario Golf-Spring
Paper Mario-Fall
Mario vs DK (eShop)

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019

MP4 will not only be the first HD Metroid, the first new 3D Metroid since 2007, the first Retro's original release since 2014, and a title all the industry is waiting for, which is already a lot.

It could also be the key to the survival of both Retro as a studio and Metroid as a franchise. It will also posisbly influence the future of a lot of series that Retro could have worked on if things did not go wrong. I mean, after what they did with Prime, DK, and even MK7, we really could imagine they would be the perfect studio to revive F-Zero, Starfox or even Wario Land, for instance. They were going to be new Rare, they went back to be the initial dying Retro. The impact, positive or negative, that will have Prime 4 is absolutely huge. It can be a real game changer, for better and for worse.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Where did I even imply any of that? And when did he like a Mario RPG since TTYD?

Here
What I mean by "gamecube kid" is that his videos/thoughts are absolutely centered about a very specific kind of game (from that era), and he's very dismissive of everything else
and here
his tastes are really not varied at all, and he is rarely enthusiastic about seeing new things, or even open to that.

Right there, part of it literally word for word lol. All of which is also objectively false if you've seen even some of his videos.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Voice is absolutely subjective.
What I mean by "gamecube kid" is that his videos/thoughts are absolutely centered about a very specific kind of game (from that era), and he's very dismissive of everything else. Check any of his Direct reaction videos to see that, his tastes are really not varied at all, and he is rarely enthusiastic about seeing new things, or even open to that.
His "real honest opinions" (per your words) are just the same thing he repeats over and over, with little variation, and often shows weird incomprehension about how/why X thing is happening. Is it a bad thing? No, but you can't act surprised people don't like him or are tired of him after a while.
Yeah, my problem with Arlo is that it represents the kind of Nintendo fan that personally bores me. It seems that he has never advanced beyond Game Cube. He doesn't like any ip or thing other than the way it was in Game Cube

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
This idea of the GameCube kid archetype of Nintendo fan is news to me. My favorite Nintendo game is probably Chibi-Robo, does that make me boring?

I'm interested to see these points develop as the discussion progresses

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah 2-3 Mario games per year is the sweet spot, my guess for next year.

Mario Golf-Spring
Paper Mario-Fall
Mario vs DK (eShop)

Mario Golf is a tough sell in Europe. It's the reason they skipped it on Wii and Wii U.

I'm predicting something like Mario Sports Mix. Maybe with even more guest characters.

And Mario Party 12. Since Super Mario Party is incompatible with Switch Lite, it's time for them to return to the traditional formula.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Lots of people like different things and Arlo clearly resonates with a particular audience

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Lots of people like different things and Arlo clearly resonates with a particular audience
Arlo seems like an okay YT personality for entertainment value, but he lacks substance. He is misinformed on many topics and has a narrow view on many others. If you just want entertainment then the character of Arlo is fine. If you want information, depth, and insight beyond basic gaming needs, he comes in rather shallow.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Jon, Terraforce and Dark Cloud pretty much got it.

People giving Arlo shit for not sharing their enthusiasm for whatever it may be are extremely strange. Criticism is obviously fine and i disagee with him on a lot of things, but i think he's a very genuine youtuber.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Arlo seems like an okay YT personality for entertainment value, but he lacks substance. He is misinformed on many topics and has a narrow view on many others. If you just want entertainment then the character of Arlo is fine. If you want information, depth, and insight beyond basic gaming needs, he comes in rather shallow.
I find his videos entertaining enough when I put them in the background while doing something else, but they lose my interest if I try to watch them actively.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my problem with Arlo is that it represents the kind of Nintendo fan that personally bores me. It seems that he has never advanced beyond Game Cube. He doesn't like any ip or thing other than the way it was in Game Cube
I don't see why it's an actual problem though. It's just personal preference.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This idea of the GameCube kid archetype of Nintendo fan is news to me. My favorite Nintendo game is probably Chibi-Robo, does that make me boring?

I'm interested to see these points develop as the discussion progresses
Honestly I think it comes down to arlo specifically not liking modern paper mario, and then also not liking certain series like fire emblem or xenoblade.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
If we are doing guesses
Mario Golf is a tough sell in Europe. It's the reason they skipped it on Wii and Wii U.

I'm predicting something like Mario Sports Mix. Maybe with even more guest characters.

And Mario Party 12. Since Super Mario Party is incompatible with Switch Lite, it's time for them to return to the traditional formula.

I doubt they'd release a Mario Sports type game next year since they will want Mario + Sonic 2020 to generate sales based on Olympic hype and a "Mario Sports Mix" type game may hurt sales.

For 2020 I'm betting
1. Mario Party
2. some kind of Mario RPG (Paper Mario, Mario + Luigi, Mario + Rabbids)
3. 3D Mario ( Port/Remaster or New Game)

I'd probably also guess that Mario + Rabbids 2 is a 2021 game

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I wonder if that's the end of bandai namco support also..
Don't think we will see any of Bandai Namco's flagship games like DBZ Kakarot and Tales of Arise getting Switch versions, but Bamco will keep fishing (heh) for low-budget family surprise hits like Fishing Spirits. Also whatever last-gen ports they can sneak in.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if that's the end of bandai namco support also..

They still have three Switch games slated for 2020 release but overall it's not looking too bright. Some of their 2020 games makes the most sense on Switch like Kakarot, Tales of Arise, SAO Alicization Lyricois and One Punch Man yet none of them are slated for Switch release.

Status
Not open for further replies.