• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
That twitter stuff had the Elibe FE games as the next remakes? Yeah hard doubt. So far, IS / Nintendo went with remakes in order of release, and that would mean that the SNES Jugdral games would be up next.

Makes also more sense, both of them weren't released in the west, from Elibe only the first one.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My prediction would be.
1st half

• Brain Age
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Style Savy
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
  • Prime Trilogy

2nd half
  • Switch Sports
  • ARMS 2
  • 2D Metroid
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Paper Mario 64 remake
  • Donkey Kong Country 3D
  • Zelda BotW 2
  • Pokemon Remake
DKC 3D as in a 3D DK game or the original DKC remade into 3D?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
NLG should do an original IP. I want to see what they're capable of beyond the realms of the Mario Universe.

Wonder if they or Nintendo would be interested in reviving Catalyst or Clockwerk in some form. I personally also think that Federation Force should have just been a new IP but maybe they can eventually revisit the concept after MP4 is out.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Wonder if they or Nintendo would be interested in reviving Catalyst or Clockwerk in some form. I personally also think that Federation Force should have just been a new IP but maybe they can eventually revisit the concept after MP4 is out.
Clockwerk had such a fantastic pair of protagonist looking at the cancelled concept art. Old guys working on a clock tower would have been right up my alley.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
NLG should do an original IP. I want to see what they're capable of beyond the realms of the Mario Universe.
They should continue working on Luigi's Mansion. Luigi's Mansion 3 is GOTY material. The thing is though that if they want to expand they could. They've been consistently producing great games for Nintendo and they can take the risk. I think after the previous Luigi's Mansions Nintendo will want them to continue on that and that is a big IP that will make them money so they can also develop other Nintendo IP like Punch Out and take a little risk.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we get a new IP from Next Level Games it'd be the first AA western new IP since when? It's like so rare for Nintendo. You think about Eternal Darkness and Geist. That's pretty exciting to think about. I wouldn't mind that, but I do see Mario Strikers as their next game.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Don't put too much stocks into this twitter account.
It's a collection of rumors from 4chan, Imran (the 3DS games), Era leakers, and basically just a best of of the typical 2020 predictions we do here.
Heck, "Paper Mario 64 remake 3DS" is a famous prediction that Jonneh from GameXplain used to do for a couple of Directs.

Also, no mention of new IPs, even tho Nintendo publish a few ones each year. This + the 4chan leak callback with Wario Land VB are the big red flags.

It's all about big hardcore gamer IPs for old Nintendo fans "you're going to get Donkey Kong, Metroid, Paper Mario, Wario Land, all your good ol games are back !"
Yeah I don't quite understand why a random Twitter account with no evidence is being cited

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
If we get a new IP from Next Level Games it'd be the first AA western new IP since when? It's like so rare for Nintendo. You think about Eternal Darkness and Geist. That's pretty exciting to think about. I wouldn't mind that, but I do see Mario Strikers as their next game.
Well, the Stretchers just released, the studio is swedish :p
Unless you meant AAA and not AA.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah I don't quite understand why a random Twitter account with no evidence is being cited
Also, that he's saying that there were games supposed to release on 3DS in "2019 and beyond", and that they just got cancelled, but are instead already releasing on Switch in "2020 and beyond" is another big red flag.
It's just not believable. Like if there was a "port to Switch" button or something.

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
Next Level Games could be a good candidate to make a new Donkey Kong Country game if Retro is unavailable for a long time.

I wish we would get both 2D and 3D DKC games every few years. I think there are too many Mario, Yoshi and Kirby games being made, while DK doesn`t get his big games that he deserves. It would be really nice to have a dedicated studio for DK/DKC.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And honestly, Imran's reliable and all, but I still have strong doubts that another 3DS Fire Emblem was in the works. Shadows of Valentia was explicitly said to be their last planned 3DS entry, a stopgap until Switch development could start.

The whole situation regarding IS is kind of confusing right now because we know for a fact that most of their in-house developers didn't actually move to Three Houses. They had a few higher ups, but the development team was mostly Koei.

That twitter stuff had the Elibe FE games as the next remakes? Yeah hard doubt. So far, IS / Nintendo went with remakes in order of release, and that would mean that the SNES Jugdral games would be up next.

One of Echoes' directors actually said he'd be interested in doing FE6 next, which is why a lot of people expect that one.

But, yeah, I also really doubt we'd get a combined remake, unless it's a Fates situation all over again with a dual release.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next Level Games could be a good candidate to make a new Donkey Kong Country game if Retro is unavailable for a long time.

I wish we would get both 2D and 3D DKC games every few years. I think there are too many Mario, Yoshi and Kirby games being made, while DK doesn`t get his big games that he deserves. It would be really nice to have a dedicated studio for DK/DKC.
It's crazy when you have so many IP's and just not enough teams to make them all lol.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The 25th anniversary of the original Donkey Kong Country is next week. I hope we at least get an acknowledgement of the legacy of the series from Nintendo, perhaps even the original trilogy on SNES Online since the absence of those games is sticking out like a sore thumb.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DK games make more than kirby or yoshi as a whole, it's more just that thing of specific teams that get tied to a series and not nintendo caring about making more. Retro became that for dkc. So now it puts dkc in limbo.
Yeah Retro became that. They made 2 games and then wanted to make something else, so in this instance Retro wasn't interested anymore. 2D DK and 3D DK should be made by western devs imo.

I think EPD will be a DK game that's not mainline and we wait until Retro is done with MP4 for a mainline DK on Switch 2.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying this for years. It's a perfect way to have a new 3d dk and at t he same time give hardcore 3d world fans that style of game.
I don't want this. I want what Rare was doing with DK 64. I want a more open 3D DK game where I can swim to islands and visit them. I want to explore underwater with Enguarde and the main levels are within the islands.

I wouldn't mind if they went the 3D World route only because I loved 3D World, but I don't prefer it for 3D DK.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more accepting of a longer wait between games if it felt like Nintendo was leveraging the IP outside of them. Animal Crossing is a good example of this. There's a very large gap between New Leaf and New Horizons, but during that period we still saw a huge update come to New Leaf, along with spinoffs, amiibos, a mobile game, and Nintendo just in general acknowledging the franchise is still important to them.

Of course, Animal Crossing is an internally developed series so it gets that treatment, but when an externally developed IP like Donkey Kong, Metroid, or Luigi's Mansion goes dark we see nothing going on with the franchise for an incredibly long time leading to worries about their future.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want this. I want what Rare was doing with DK 64. I want a more open 3D DK game where I can swim to islands and visit them. I want to explore underwater with Enguarde and the main levels are within the islands.

I wouldn't mind if they went the 3D World route only because I loved 3D World, but I don't prefer it for 3D DK.
giphy.gif

I don't want another dk64 again at all. Even then I just don't think the style fits dk in general.
Yeah Retro became that. They made 2 games and then wanted to make something else, so in this instance Retro wasn't interested anymore. 2D DK and 3D DK should be made by western devs imo.

I think EPD will be a DK game that's not mainline and we wait until Retro is done with MP4 for a mainline DK on Switch 2.
Unless prime 4 sells good enough and they move right to prime 5.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more accepting of a longer wait between games if it felt like Nintendo was leveraging the IP outside of them. Animal Crossing is a good example of this. There's a very large gap between New Leaf and New Horizons, but during that period we still saw a huge update come to New Leaf, along with spinoffs, amiibos, a mobile game, and Nintendo just in general acknowledging the franchise is still important to them.

Of course, Animal Crossing is an internally developed series so it gets that treatment, but when an externally developed IP like Donkey Kong, Metroid, or Luigi's Mansion goes dark we see nothing going on with the franchise for an incredibly long time leading to worries about their future.
Well luigi's mansion is just really specific, so it's hard for them to branch off that when it's already a mario series spinoff. Maybe a mobile game or something now with how big 3 is. Metroid is just handled wonky from all the different dev teams, and doesn't make big money, so that's just why there.
Dkc for sure should be given more for it's history and how big of an ip its been.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to say we get Yoshi, Kirby and Mario platformers so much. Well Mario is the mascot so he will get like 20 games a generation. Kirby wasn't made by Nintendo. It was developed by HAL so they're always going to make. It's cheap and easy to make.

Yoshi has bounced around from Arzest to now Good Feel who also did Wario Land. Good Feel probably asked for Yoshi.

My bigger issue is these are easy platformers. The best thing about DKC is its challenge and it's the only 2D Nintendo series that offers it. It's unique on that alone and also Rare + Retro have done a great job with the level designs.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I don't want another dk64 again at all. Even then I just don't think the style fits dk in general.

Unless prime 4 sells good enough and they move right to prime 5.
Yeah we'll just disagree. It's not like I like DK64. I can't even finish the game, but that's not because of the world. It's because of the insane amount of collectibles and bad controls.

Retro is a continuously growing studio (finally). Nothing says they won't be able to develop 2 games at once by 2022.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
All I know for sure is that DK64 was a real letdown when I was in middle school. It was a bummer going from tight challenging 2D platformers to a loose, formless Banjo Kazooie clone.

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
My bigger issue is these are easy platformers. The best thing about DKC is its challenge and it's the only 2D Nintendo series that offers it. It's unique on that alone and also Rare + Retro have done a great job with the level designs.

I love DKC for their world and level design, challenge, music..it has always been a unique platformer and so fun to play. I have never had that much fun with other platformers.

I also think Retro should be able to handle two games at some point. They could make a 2D DKC while EPD or other developer make a 3D DKC.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love DKC for their world and level design, challenge, music..it has always been a unique platformer and so fun to play. I have never had that much fun with other platformers.

I also think Retro should be able to handle two games at some point. They could make a 2D DKC while EPD or other developer make a 3D DKC.
I'd like to think they'd be able to do 2 games at a time once MP4 is done.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think inspiration from 3D World would be better suited to making a gameplay style that closely matches the DKC core gameplay, in particular for different Kong abilities and animal buddies. I also would love an Odyssey sized 3D DK though because DK's world is such a huge appealing part of the franchise for me, and I would love seeing such a big and detailed DK Island to run around in.

I'm open to someone other than Retro taking the reins on the franchise for now. Honestly after the setbacks Retro has had lately I think they're better focusing on a singular series, and there absolutely should be a place for both Donkey Kong and Metroid Prime in Nintendo's catalogue. It shouldn't be an either/or situation but it has sadly been that way for too long.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see more 3D platformers for the Switch and as much as I love 2D platformers there are too many on Switch right now. That's why I hope that the DKC rumor for next year is not true.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

That's because DK is closer to the Crash/Uncharted/Ubisoft/ "Set piece
Platformer" then your typical Nintendo "obstacle course platformer"

I'm still hoping for a Ghost Recon Wildlands style game staring DK. Full open world Military TPS Platformer. Just like DK64 but with more veichles

Edit: Splatoon has mostly inherited the 3D World platformer design sensibilities and I'm okay with that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of surprised more people aren't open to an open world islands structure for 3D DK. That's unique for Nintendo. I liked standing from DK island to look afar to see Crocodile Isle. You can use the animal buddies as a travel system.

What if we get the open structure for the world, but when you go into levels it's more 3D World design? I just want Lanky Kong playable again dammit.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised more people aren't open to an open world islands structure for 3D DK. That's unique for Nintendo. I liked standing from DK island to look afar to see Crocodile Isle. You can use the animal buddies as a travel system.

What if we get the open structure for the world, but when you go into levels it's more 3D World design? I just want Lanky Kong playable again dammit.

It's not unique for Nintendo, even if we're talking strictly about 3D platformers.

Sunshine did that.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
It's true that there are many 2D platformers out there but very few have the same gameplay style than the Retro DKC games. Stages as dynamic as the ones you see in Retro's games are rare. I can only think of Rayman Origins and Legends as games with a similar philosophy than Retro's DKC (dynamic stages, heavy focus on momentum and stages built both thinking about casual play and speedrunning).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yooka Laylee just did something similar which I really liked. The levels you go into are structured as 2D levels, but then you have this more open world outside of them. Could be a good template for DK.

Playtonic of course is a good suitor to make DK games. Doubt they want to though

It's true that there are many 2D platformers out there but very few have the same gameplay style than the Retro DKC games. Stages as dynamic as the ones you see in Retro's games are rare. I can only think of Rayman Origins and Legends as games with a similar philosophy than Retro's DKC (dynamic stages, heavy focus on momentum and stages built both thinking about casual play and speedrunning).
Good post. DKC games are more dynamic. Add that with the music and difficulty and they're just too good. Tropical Freeze with how it connected the levels made me appreciate the game so much more. So much attention. That's why it's probably the best 2D platformer ever.

Last edited:

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
Good post. DKC games are more dynamic. Add that with the music and difficulty and they're just too good. Tropical Freeze with how it connected the levels made me appreciate the game so much more. So much attention. That's why it's probably the best 2D platformer ever.

And this is why I wish more for 2D DKC, Tropical Freeze was perfect, cohesive and fulfilling experience. I would like to see DK world in 3D but I don't enjoy that kind of gameplay. It would be best to have 3D overworld like Diddy Kong Racing or BotW and 2D levels scattered around. Animal buddies could be used to go around 3D overworld, it makes me think also of the cancelled Donkey Kong Racing.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
They should continue working on Luigi's Mansion. Luigi's Mansion 3 is GOTY material. The thing is though that if they want to expand they could. They've been consistently producing great games for Nintendo and they can take the risk. I think after the previous Luigi's Mansions Nintendo will want them to continue on that and that is a big IP that will make them money so they can also develop other Nintendo IP like Punch Out and take a little risk.

I think after Luigi's Mansion, the team probably feels they earned a shot at a new IP, and Nintendo probably has no problems with them doing it since they did well with their established IP.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Furukawa encouraging new IP's anyways?? I would think if developers want to make new IP's they have a better chance of getting green lit under him.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see more 3D platformers for the Switch and as much as I love 2D platformers there are too many on Switch right now. That's why I hope that the DKC rumor for next year is not true.

If I were Nintendo, I'd hire Playtonic or Playful to create a brand new 3D DK game. Those studios are really talented, they just need more funds and opportunities to create better games.

Also a Final Fight-like beat em up Kirby is my second biggest dream. Wayforward can do this job perfectly.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

Retro can't make a game for shit without Nintendo there to handhold them. If that Singing rumor is true, then the studio struggles to come up with a compelling concept for an original IP. Next Level Games meanwhile, is a talented developer on their own. They just didn't have a publisher that did them proper justice until Nintendo came along, who finally gave them a proper budget and support to make games compared to the other publishers they dealt with.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's their problem. The way things look it looks like Retro can't make a game without Nintendo. All that talent and can't produce a new IP. Maybe Retros undoing is crappy management in the studio like Kelbaugh or the production director. Idk

All these other studios can figure it out. Rare, Obsidian, Naughty Dog, etc can make new IP's. Why can't Retro figure out how to make new IP's?

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Retro is best if they're just stuck making Metroid/DK or other established Nintendo IP's. I don't want them trying to make an original IP if it ends up just being a development mess.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone still has on their LinkedIn at Retro that their "current project is a secret". Maybe there's still a chance Retro churned out a new 2D DK game.

Also, Vince Joly (was Creative Director of TF)has he became Retro's Art Director in March 2018 and helped "lead a creative team to achieve a desired aesthetic for an unannounced project". He left Retro in January 2019. I don't feel like that lines up with the Singing RPG Rumor.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
If I were Nintendo, I'd hire Playtonic or Playful to create a brand new 3D DK game. Those studios are really talented, they just need more funds and opportunities to create better games.

Also a Final Fight-like beat em up Kirby is my second biggest dream. Wayforward can do this job perfectly.

Yep I agree. I would like to see another 3D DK game and no matter who is going to do it, just do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.